[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, this is how each Integrated Circuit level affects the efficiency of the LHE.

If I'm reading this right, this means you *must* chip your LHE according to the floor (minimum) Hot Coolant (HC) you are generating, whether lava or IC2 fluid reactor.

So, if I chip at #13, for instance, I must always provide 2200mB/t of HC or else the LHE turns off / doesn't work / doesn't make SHS ?

And, does it only explode if I don't feed it enough distilled water (closed loop or not) ? In other words, it won't blow up if I feed it *too much* or *too little* HC, will it ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If I'm reading this right, this means you *must* chip your LHE according to the floor (minimum) Hot Coolant (HC) you are generating, whether lava or IC2 fluid reactor.

So, if I chip at #13, for instance, I must always provide 2200mB/t of HC or else the LHE turns off / doesn't work / doesn't make SHS ?

And, does it only explode if I don't feed it enough distilled water (closed loop or not) ? In other words, it won't blow up if I feed it *too much* or *too little* HC, will it ?
If you chip it too low it will simply generate regular steam instead of superheated steam. In that instance, the chip is ignored: it shouldn't have any impact on the amount of steam.

For instance, if you have 3900 HC/s and use chip#1 (or no chip), the SHS threshold is 4000. It will fail to use the SHS mechanism and generate 100% steam.
As a reminder, when it creates SHS, it produces it at 50% regular-steam-amount. This is true of IC2 as well (or rather, the ratio of HC:SHS is still 2:1, and HC:Steam is still 1:1).

The only way the LHE will explode is if it is a) turned on, b) has hot coolant/lava, and c) has no distilled water.

And it *must* be distilled :)

Oh, guys, this is important: IC2 uses a 1:100 water/steam ratio, while GT, RC (and most others) use 1:160. This means if you're thinking you'll generate steam with IC2, and then send it into the Large Turbines to get that juicy 130% Large Rotor Bonus of Awesome, your closed loop will probably go sadface.

Since nobody tries to make a closed loop with RC, I wonder if we should just switch GT to 1:100 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It produces SHS *and* regular steam, or SHS on top of the regular steam ?
Just SHS while its above the threshold. Note that when the LHE is starting up or stopping, you'll sometimes create a bit of regular steam in the system, so its important to account for that in your logistics.

It may seem counterintuitive (getting less from more hot coolant), but the idea is that you double-dip your SHS.

So, you could produce 1000 regular steam for 1000 eu/t (hypothetically), or produce 500 superheated steam for 500 * 2 + 500 = 1500 eu/t. (Reminder to all: The High Pressure Steam Turbine consumes SHS and outputs Regular Steam 1:1 into a second turbine, hence the double-dipping reference)

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
So, you could produce 1000 regular steam for 1000 eu/t (hypothetically), or produce 500 superheated steam for 500 * 2 + 500 = 1500 eu/t. (Reminder to all: The High Pressure Steam Turbine consumes SHS and outputs Regular Steam 1:1 into a second turbine, hence the double-dipping reference)

Ah, thanks. Got it. So no point in chipping @ 24 or 25. The efficiency is too low to make up for the SHS bonus. Only at chip 23 and lower (in number) does SHS bonus makeup for the efficiency loss.

This is pretty cool. This means a single, easy reactor is probably best converted to steam only. Only at the 2nd and beyond or a super-fancy single does it make sense to start converting the IC2 hot coolant to SHS. In other words, it's a tier/ladder worth climbing. One does get SHS from 1 reactor alone.

Cypher

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Jason. In 3.1.6, EnderIO machines could accept GT power but in 3.1.7, they no longer can as far as I can tell. Was this a change or am I missing something? Thanks very much.

Cypher

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I could connect the dimensional transceiver for example directly to a transformer or using a cable before and now nothing gets to it either way. Strange.

Cypher

Jul 29, 2019
Nevermind....Operator error. Forgot I had it hooked to an MV transformer and now with the increased power requirements for the transceiver, it no longer worked. Quick question though what is the conversion from GT/EU to RF? Thanks.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nevermind....Operator error. Forgot I had it hooked to an MV transformer and now with the increased power requirements for the transceiver, it no longer worked. Quick question though what is the conversion from GT/EU to RF? Thanks.
Nominal conversion rate is 1:4

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Upgraded to 5.0.8.27 yesterday and getting close to fluid reactor + heat exhanger + large turbine in my survival world. I have verified the reactor produces a good amount of hot coolant, and the heat exhanger cools and turns distilled water into steam. No explosions.

NEI didn't show the IC2 coolant, so I had to do it old style (pre-NEI) and Google how to make it. The IC2 fluid/solid canning machine with Lapis was the trick.

However, I wasn't quite counting on the turbine recipe being so...*different*. Not a bad different, just different. I've since been spending the last day mining magnesium (never needed the stuff until now) to make Magnalium. And, I'm Blast Furnacing Blue Steel. Geezz...that Blue Steel has a long recipe chain.

Well, I don't think anyone will be able to say the GT infrastructure to use the IC2 fluid reactor "quick" to build ;-)

Not complaining at all - I'm quite glad to use the magnesium for the first time in a GT world. Heck, I think I've used just about *every* raw material this world.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Upgraded to 5.0.8.27 yesterday and getting close to fluid reactor + heat exhanger + large turbine in my survival world. I have verified the reactor produces a good amount of hot coolant, and the heat exhanger cools and turns distilled water into steam. No explosions.

NEI didn't show the IC2 coolant, so I had to do it old style (pre-NEI) and Google how to make it. The IC2 fluid/solid canning machine with Lapis was the trick.

However, I wasn't quite counting on the turbine recipe being so...*different*. Not a bad different, just different. I've since been spending the last day mining magnesium (never needed the stuff until now) to make Magnalium. And, I'm Blast Furnacing Blue Steel. Geezz...that Blue Steel has a long recipe chain.

Well, I don't think anyone will be able to say the GT infrastructure to use the IC2 fluid reactor "quick" to build ;-)

Not complaining at all - I'm quite glad to use the magnesium for the first time in a GT world. Heck, I think I've used just about *every* raw material this world.
blue steel, just about the most annoying alloy in the universe to make :p

And congrats on finding the coolant recipe. That gets asked about constantly :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I hope you used the right coolant recipe because there are 2.
Water + 9 lapis dust = 1 bucket coolant
distilled water + 1 lapis dust = 1 bucket coolant

I use the distilled water recipe, but only because I had already built the large distillation tower. When I put those cells with that fluid into the IC2 reactor and did a test run, it didn't blow up. It used the coolant and made hot coolant.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Next stupid question : Which rotor for 1 fluid reactor's worth of Steam ?

Reactor is putting out ~900HU/s, which means roughly 900L of steam/sec, which means small rotor ?

And, the blades don't make a difference in terms of performance/capacity, just durability, correct ?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Ooo
Next stupid question : Which rotor for 1 fluid reactor's worth of Steam ?

Reactor is putting out ~900HU/s, which means roughly 900L of steam/sec, which means small rotor ?

And, the blades don't make a difference in terms of performance/capacity, just durability, correct ?

Ah, wait. Blade material *totally* matters. Tungestensteel blades with a small rotor is 10,000L/sec. Too much ?