[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Did you see tomcats reactors at the end of the thread? - points for insane complexity.
Theres also a decent enough design @ 600eu/t on page 4 (assuming it will still work)
Yeah that's a crazy setup, though I dunno what kind of power it actually sustains over a long period (since its bouncing around in heat output)

At the end of the day, you can still easily just create a boring old (non-cooled) MOX reactor that outputs 800-1000 eu/t with far, far less complexity. There's no incentive to play with the new reactor mechanics other than that they're "interesting."

Reactions: MigukNamja

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Mysterydump also seems to of done one on the new reactors, its an hour and 15 mins long though so ... ill watch it and get back to you xD

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Mysterydump also seems to of done one on the new reactors, its an hour and 15 mins long though so ... ill watch it and get back to you xD

I've seen that video, too. His is getting close to MOX (net). He has higher gross, but the IC2 actively-cooled takes some powered components, so you need to feed back some of the raw (gross) output power to run the cooling and recirculation system.

He doesn't show the output power until the very end of this video, and it's a huge letdown. A tragedy, really. All that work, for...wow.....you just barely equaled ... 6-block MOX. GG.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've seen that video, too. His is getting close to MOX (net). He has higher gross, but the IC2 actively-cooled takes some powered components, so you need to feed back some of the raw (gross) output power to run the cooling and recirculation system.

He doesn't show the output power until the very end of this video, and it's a huge letdown. A tragedy, really. All that work, for...wow.....you just barely equaled ... 6-block MOX. GG.
There are options in ic2.cfg to tweak the energy generation numbers iirc. I wonder if any of them would help with this?

A simple fix would be to increase the output of actively-cooled and/or nerf passive.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019

MD is a she :p

Also, im suspecting that in later versions that the current reactor ideology the basic one, ie stick rods and vents in the magic box = instant power, is going to be canned in favor of this setup, honestly, id prefer that... they used to allow the cores to passively generate steam instead of EU, right?
You could opt to run the system on RC turbines instead, but i never fiddle with it because it was a configured setting and all i really did back then was tell GT that it couldnt change my macerator recipe ...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
MD is a she :p

Also, im suspecting that in later versions that the current reactor ideology the basic one, ie stick rods and vents in the magic box = instant power, is going to be canned in favor of this setup, honestly, id prefer that... they used to allow the cores to passively generate steam instead of EU, right?
You could opt to run the system on RC turbines instead, but i never fiddle with it because it was a configured setting and all i really did back then was tell GT that it couldnt change my macerator recipe ...
Who knows what they're gonna do. Yeah, that would "help" if they got rid of the current mechanic.

BTW: the steam produced is not compatible with other steam consumers (including RC)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I was talking about in 1.4.7 - i havnt looked at the ic2 configs in ages, so i cant comment on the steam production system now.
infact, i thought they removed that feature for ic2EX?
We're talking about different things I believe.

IC2exp introduces actively-cooled nuclear reactors which produce steam (superheated and other) to produce power in steam generators. Similar to BR insofar as that explanation goes.

However unlike BR (and railcraft and other steam-generating mods), IC2e steam isn't the cross-compatible steam we're accustomed to. It doesn't function in a BR turbine or RC turbine for instance.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
IC2exp introduces actively-cooled nuclear reactors which produce steam (superheated and other) to produce power in steam generators. Similar to BR insofar as that explanation goes.

Hmm, doesn't the IC2 reactor produce hot coolant from cold coolant, and you have to convert to steam in another step afterwards (if you want - you could also just put heat exchangers and stirling generators).

That would be a point for Greg to hook into, and create his own heat exchanger + turbine multiblock.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm, doesn't the IC2 reactor produce hot coolant from cold coolant, and you have to convert to steam in another step afterwards (if you want - you could also just put heat exchangers and stirling generators).

That would be a point for Greg to hook into, and create his own heat exchanger + turbine multiblock.
Yep. If you break the system into its component parts, technically you're pumping in coolant, extracting hot coolant into heat exchangers which produce steam (ideally out of distilled water) and driving turbines from that.

Its actually interesting to assemble, (albeit annoying with IC2 wrench mechanics for rotating blocks instead of improved GT Version) but other than the neato-factor, there's little reason to do it.

Edit: Adjusting the barometric pressure of the steam and taking advantage of super-heated steam are interesting in particular, features you don't see in BR or reactorcraft.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Its actually interesting to assemble, (albeit annoying with IC2 wrench mechanics for rotating blocks instead of improved GT Version) but other than the neato-factor, there's little reason to do it.

Agreed, especially since you need a bazillion heat exchangers for a reactor with decent output.

(The reason to do it appears to be the little "using EU mode, output reduced by 50%" tooltip on the nuclear reactor.)

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
@mcalpha
Greg did hook into the nuclear power, new fuel cells and neutron reflectors - but he hasnt put them back in yet / for a long ass time.
i dont think you had GT thorium cells in 1.5 and i didnt see them in 1.6, its a shame really because they made for brilliant "Long Burn" reactors (even if the output was a little cruddy)

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
I know this mod pack says that it doesn't support mod removal, but what damage would it cause if I removed JourneyMap and Project Zulu. (I despise this mod, no fault of the creator. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to me at all.)

I would love to give this pack a try, but I really can't get over Project Zulu.

andrej88

Jul 29, 2019
Not really sure what there's to dislike about Project Zulu but removing it shouldn't be an issue. As far as I can see it's not involved in any Minetweaker scripts Jason added. JourneyMap won't be an issue since it's clientside.

Speaking of which, anyone know if there's a way to 1) zoom out further than 1:1 in JourneyMap, like you can in MapWriter and 2) to change the rendering style JourneyMap uses (MapWriter's is a lot smoother and more pleasing to the eye IMO)? Everything else about JourneyMap I like more than MapWriter.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

EchoingZen

Jul 29, 2019
So, with the MineChem Issues, can I just disable MineChem in the current version of the pack as a workaround? is there anything dependent on it?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Re: ProjectZulu

Agree with @andrej88 - no harm in removing or disabling ProjectZulu. I don't run it on my server. Also, no problems at all removing/disabling JourneyMap.

Re: MineChem

Yes, if you're trying to use the 2.0.4 version, it seems removing or disabling MineChem is recommended. Nothing dependent upon it AFAIK.