[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It was quite hard. The first 2/3 life was quite easy, but then it killed everyone and we had to craft new arrows and lost our jetpacks. Now we need drums to store the liquid EXP :D
I can't compute how you got to jetpacks in 2 days. In 2 days I'm still looking for tin :p

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
You can continue without issues, to get the full experience it's suggested you restart, particularly in regards to things like quests or thaumcraft progression which change early game a fair bit and won't work anywhere near as well on old worlds.

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, I know who's that
however no nodes nearby, and no eldritch stone circles with chest
also this guy didn't attack me right away, even though I was running around him for a while
so probably they spawn in caverns in Magical Forests?

edit: speaking about magic. I want to throw in 1 more mod - ars magica.
I don't know almost anything about it, and I want to lock it up behind MV machinery.
Anybody knows of existing good Modtweaker scripts for that? Any ArsMagica expert to help me to choose "first" steps of mod to be locked up?
My idea is to put Runes behind MV Laser Engraver, Chimerite behind MV autoclave (chimerite = molten thaumium + ender dust probably or something), Vinteum behind Chemical Reactor (molten thaumium + something, no idea). Seems fine?

Wisp can spawn "anywere" in a "Magical Style" Biome it's just the way there programmed(From what I understand they follow the same rules as bats(almost))

And Day 2 me and my friends looked at the oil cracking unit, dammit I don't wanna be a chemist....

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Jason, I'm not totally sure, but I think there may be a problem with the loot generation of Iridium Shards. I'm a prolific adventurer, and I have collected a total of 3 stacks of 64 +27 of Iridium Shard and 8 Iridium.

This seems to me like a little overpowering, has anyone checked the loot distribution and made sure that this variety of shard is generating in the required quantities? My loot bags are getting full, and by the time I get GregTech to the level of cloning iridium I may not need to! :D

These shards so far seem mostly to generate in the Overworld, in the Thaumcraft Wisp Altar's loot chests - I forget the correct name for them.

Is this "working as intended" or what? I'm going to speculate and say "or what". :D You're giving me 20+ Iridium and all I need to do is make a compressor to convert the Iridium Shards to ore to use in cool stuff? Nice! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Jason, I'm not totally sure, but I think there may be a problem with the loot generation of Iridium Shards. I'm a prolific adventurer, and I have collected a total of 3 stacks of 64 +27 of Iridium Shard and 8 Iridium.

This seems to me like a little overpowering, has anyone checked the loot distribution and made sure that this variety of shard is generating in the required quantities? My loot bags are getting full, and by the time I get GregTech to the level of cloning iridium I may not need to! :D

These shards so far seem mostly to generate in the Overworld, in the Thaumcraft Wisp Altar's loot chests - I forget the correct name for them.

Is this "working as intended" or what? I'm going to speculate and say "or what". :D You're giving me 20+ Iridium and all I need to do is make a compressor to convert the Iridium Shards to ore to use in cool stuff? Nice! ;)

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
There is really lots of iridium in chests we use it to make lvl3 pickaxes :D

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
That is definitely NOT INTENDED... I will try to make an update today (if I will not fall asleep as yesterday, when I wanted to stream). There are already quite few number of changes and fixes pending, so will do that (without mod updates probably)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
What materials are best for the various pickaxe levels? Is there something in this modpack that can mine whatever it wants regardless of level? :D

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
Check the OreGen Guide book. On last page there is list of materials and their respective mining level.

edit: Tool that can mine everything is Vajra :) Just be careful with that

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Can you redstone controle small coal boilers based on the level of a drum? Need to figure out a good way to produce a small amount of steam for the cracker. However with regular oil the consumtion is only 1.5 mb/t so i would effectively void 3/4 of the steam and have to refill 4 times as often since you can no longer automate refilling (1 stack of coke would last about 24 hours). If you could turn the boiler off when the drum is full and then turn it on again once it is almost empty somehow that would be awesome. Since it has some startup time it would not be good to turn it on and off based on a single level. if i get it to work i would only have to refill roughly every 24 hours using coke. Alternatively i could use a railcraft tank instead of a drum

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
Can you redstone controle small coal boilers based on the level of a drum? Need to figure out a good way to produce a small amount of steam for the cracker. However with regular oil the consumtion is only 1.5 mb/t so i would effectively void 3/4 of the steam and have to refill 4 times as often since you can no longer automate refilling (1 stack of coke would last about 24 hours). If you could turn the boiler off when the drum is full and then turn it on again once it is almost empty somehow that would be awesome. Since it has some startup time it would not be good to turn it on and off based on a single level. if i get it to work i would only have to refill roughly every 24 hours using coke. Alternatively i could use a railcraft tank instead of a drum

Wouldn't a 1x2 railcraft LP boiler be a good choice? It heats up very quickly, is automatable. It does produce 10mb of steam per tick which might be a bit too much, but automation based on drum content was possible, yes? If a better boiler setup was what you sought then this might be handy.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
If i understand it correctly a 1 boiler block railcraft LP boiler should consume 0.675 heating units/t and produce 10 steam per tick. That means it should produce 10/0.675*1600=23703 steam at max temperature over 118.5 seconds with one piece of charcoal. These numbers are not very good compared to small coal boilers or high pressure coal boilers that produce 48k steam per piece. It also requires 226 seconds to heat up which is not that quick. I calculated the small coal boiler to take 393 seconds, the high pressure coal boiler 840s and the high pressure lava boiler 653 seconds. (Time = total temperature increase/(heat increase per second-heat decrease per second))

Maybe i should take this as an opportunity to learn how to do a gate controle to turn off above 75% level and turn on below 25%. With a decent buffer tank from railcraft this would be a good solution. The most fuel efficient would be to use a high pressure lava boilers most likely. That gives 300k steam per bucket which means 1 drum of lava would last my process 256*300k/30= 2560000 seconds (roughly 29 irl days)
Also can you run any of the steam producers on alumentum? I turned almost all of my charcoal into alumentum because reasons :p

Last edited:

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
I ran my railcraft boilers with alumentum, as long as it has a burn value it works I think?

I assumed you prioritized automation over efficiency but wasn't completely sure, yeah lava would be a good solution too.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
All this talk makes me want to look into the gregtech boilers. Would be interesting to use a Titansteel boiler to burn upp leftover fluid and solid fuels. It seems to have gotten quite a revamp with the new version and is as efficient as the old boiler and produces about 39900 steam per second. Should be able to make a nice low pressure turbine setup with that and gives me something useful to do with a lot of the crap that is adding upp. Refined fuels have a efficiency reduction of 20% but if you have a tungstensteel rotor thats multiplied by 1.4 anyway so its actually more efficient way to produce power from almost all fuels.

Thinking about it that would actually make a tungstensteel boiler+low pressure turbine much more efficient than just running fuels in gas or diesel generator....

Correct me if im wrong but i can burn nitro diesel in a diesel generator with an efficiency of 85-95% but i could also burn it in a tungstensteel boiler at 80% efficiency. However i then have the possibility to increase the efficiency with a good rotor. So with a tungstensteel rotor that would give me a net efficiency of 112% and i could also decide what voltage tier i want it in. Best part is that the same setup should be able to run on almost any solid and liquid fuel (gas turbine fuels?) So it would be a multi fuel system i can feed with whatever crap i have at the moment. Holy shit this sounds awesome :D

This should also produce a craptone of distilled water as i dont think the GT boilers require distilled water but the large turbines output distilled water instead of water :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All this talk makes me want to look into the gregtech boilers. Would be interesting to use a Titansteel boiler to burn upp leftover fluid and solid fuels. It seems to have gotten quite a revamp with the new version and is as efficient as the old boiler and produces about 39900 steam per second. Should be able to make a nice low pressure turbine setup with that and gives me something useful to do with a lot of the crap that is adding upp. Refined fuels have a efficiency reduction of 20% but if you have a tungstensteel rotor thats multiplied by 1.4 anyway so its actually more efficient way to produce power from almost all fuels.

Thinking about it that would actually make a tungstensteel boiler+low pressure turbine much more efficient than just running fuels in gas or diesel generator....

Correct me if im wrong but i can burn nitro diesel in a diesel generator with an efficiency of 85-95% but i could also burn it in a tungstensteel boiler at 80% efficiency. However i then have the possibility to increase the efficiency with a good rotor. So with a tungstensteel rotor that would give me a net efficiency of 112% and i could also decide what voltage tier i want it in. Best part is that the same setup should be able to run on almost any solid and liquid fuel (gas turbine fuels?) So it would be a multi fuel system i can feed with whatever crap i have at the moment. Holy shit this sounds awesome :D

This should also produce a craptone of distilled water as i dont think the GT boilers require distilled water but the large turbines output distilled water instead of water :)
I love the GT boilers, you just need to be able to accommodate the insane quantities of steam they put out per tick.

Even before any updates they were pretty amazing. Titanium was better than railcraft boilers iirc, and those were the best efficiency you could get for steam other than a small coal boiler (which must be spammed for large scale steam production)

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
This would also allow you to use your old fuel systems to go into the higher voltage tiers. So the oil and charcoal systems you make doesnt become outdated as you move past HV tier. The problem has always been that the storage of steam is very problematic. But if you can run the steam directly through a turbine and produce IV that you store in a large battery buffer you would effectively remove that flaw. With the IV it is also easy to move around the power without substantial losses in your base. Instead of transporting around fuel everywhere you can just send out one amp of IV that you transform down in voltage where you need it :) 1 amp of IV is like 16 amps of HV so i think the amount should be fine with only a energy loss of distance/8192 which in almost all cases should be less than 1%

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The problem has always been that the storage of steam is very problematic.
I always find this to be a challenge with RC Boilers, but not the GT ones. With RC, you need to store steam intelligently because you need steam-power when you need it, not 4 hours from now when your boilers heat up, or 4 hours ago when your steam buffers are all full and you're wasting power.

With the Large GT Boilers, because they have virtually no spin-up time, they have an absolutely massive logistical advantage: you can literally spin them up whenever you need power and then turn them off again when you don't need that power anymore.

With the machine cover, you don't even need to worry about burning off the coal in the input bus: you can just redstone-signal the controller block and the whole machine stops running.

They're kinda neat to run with Big Reactors turbines too.