[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So, for everyone's amusement, my derp of the night:

Last night I went to the End, primarily to get some end stone for refining to tungsten. I brought some arcane bores and decided to kill two birds with one stone and excavate some of my iridium veins I've found.

While my arcane bores were shredding the veins, I used my trusty heavily-enchanted pickaxe to clean up the edges of the bore tunnels.

Derp: It turns out the pick I brought for this was a Thaumium Pickaxe (instead of the dark steel I usually use), and since it was enchanted with Eff.5 it ripped through iridium ores like butter. Buuuuuut. Thaumium apparentily isn't high enough to mine Iridium. I found out after the fact that I was actually destroying all that iridium.

(Probably lost 10-20 iridium ores or so doing this. Dammit.)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 lossless energy distribution system...

I believe IC2 cables have been disabled intentionally to eliminate early-game lossless EU energy distribution. The intent is to us the native GT cables, which are very lossy early-game, but progress to less lossy mid-game and eventually completely nearly lossless late-game.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I believe IC2 cables have been disabled intentionally to eliminate early-game lossless EU energy distribution. The intent is to us the native GT cables, which are very lossy early-game, but progress to less lossy mid-game and eventually completely lossless late-game.
Stupid question: what cables are we considering to be completely lossless?

Personally, I'm sending a lot of power around at 8192 eu/t with 1eu/m loss, which I consider to be "fairly lossless", but transforming it down to HV, MV, LV etc itself incurs some considerable loss.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
I believe IC2 cables have been disabled intentionally to eliminate early-game lossless EU energy distribution. The intent is to us the native GT cables, which are very lossy early-game, but progress to less lossy mid-game and eventually completely lossless late-game.

Thats why i use IC2 CESU/MFE/MFSU and distribute Batterys/Energycrystals with EnderIO.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
...completely lossless?

Whoops...by bad. I *thought* superconducting was completely lossless. Maybe it was in earlier GT versions ??

Well, it's not now, apparently. It's max voltage, but 1 EU per meter loss.

Superconducting.png

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Whoops...by bad. I *thought* superconducting was completely lossless. Maybe it was in earlier GT versions ??

Well, it's not now, apparently. It's max voltage, but 1 EU per meter loss.
That's pretty lossless as far as I'm concerned :)

I wonder what Ieldra has done with his power grid. That guy hates inefficiency even more than I do. @Ieldra tell me what you did with your grid so I can get it nerfed.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Thats why i use IC2 CESU/MFE/MFSU and distribute Batterys/Energycrystals with EnderIO.
That works until you have to transmit more power than a MFSU can output. I think there should be a way for lossless power teleportation *somewhere* in the pack. I don't care if I need a fusion reactor to build it, at some point power loss becomes a huge annoyance, since it restricts the ways you can design your bases.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That works until you have to transmit more power than a MFSU can output. I think there should be a way for lossless power teleportation *somewhere* in the pack. I don't care if I need a fusion reactor to build it.
100% agree.

...at some point power loss becomes a huge annoyance, since it restricts the ways you can design your bases.
Kinda disagree with this. When you're losing 1 eu/m on a tin cable, that's pretty significant at 3% loss per meter. But as your tech improves, you're still losing only 1 eu/m but on much better cables. 0.01% loss per meter is totally negligible on a 8192 eu/t line.

I think a decent compromise would be a high-tech universal transformer. So if I wanna send power out to my farms 50m away, instead of transforming 8192 down to 32 in multiple machines (each eating a bunch of power per machine) I could do it in one universal transformer machine.

Reactions: Grove

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
That's pretty lossless as far as I'm concerned :)

I wonder what Ieldra has done with his power grid. That guy hates inefficiency even more than I do. @Ieldra tell me what you did with your grid so I can get it nerfed.
At the moment, I'm doing the same as you - mostly IV cabling - and I sprinkle my base liberally with power storage devices so that I can have reliable power supply, but that's because most of my grid is preliminary. When it's time for long-range/interdimensional expansion, I'm going to send batteries through quantum links and work with MFSU banks. The big problem is intra-base cabling. That annoys the hell out of me, and it doesn't matter that I can get pretty efficient with superconducting cables, it's still loss per metre and transformers impose their own loss, and that's a reason to bang my head against the walls. ;)

Edit:
Your universal transformer would mitigate things quite a bit.

Reactions: Pyure

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The robotic arm can't insert/extract GT batteries, I take it ?
Perhaps it can, but it can't distinguish between empty and full batteries, and that's what you'd need for an automated system. You can use conduits with IC2 power storage blocks, but that's awkward since you'll need additional transformers to convert to and from GT.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Perhaps it can, but it can't distinguish between empty and full batteries, and that's what you'd need for an automated system. You can use conduits with IC2 power storage blocks, but that's awkward since you'll need additional transformers to convert to and from GT.
I don't think it can unless the batteries are single-use.

That said, if you were using a 1x Battery Buffer, with the new energy reader cover, you could determine when to switch batteries.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The empty/full/status thing is an issue, but one can estimate time based upon maximum (worst-case) power draw. Can the arms be controlled with a timer ?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The empty/full/status thing is an issue, but one can estimate time based upon maximum (worst-case) power draw. Can the arms be controlled with a timer ?
Sorta. You could simply make them receive stuff based on a timer. (e.g, eio pipes on a redstone signal from a timer)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The one that makes opening the interface of any IC2 machine impossible...
Ok, I just updated to latest version of infitech2 and I see what you're talking about now. I can no longer access any IC2 gui.

I updated to gregtech_1.7.10-5.08.25 since @Blood Asp mentioned that this was fixed, but that doesn't fix it. Anyone have a workaround this or should we be rolling back to previous infitech2 version?

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019

What about EiO conduits with filters? Cannot they interact with battery buffers? This way you can send IV power in batteries like I'm doing now with energy/lapotron crystals and mfsus. I currently have ZERO gt cables in my base :)

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
What about EiO conduits with filters? Cannot they interact with battery buffers? This way you can send IV power in batteries like I'm doing now with energy/lapotron crystals and mfsus. I currently have ZERO gt cables in my base :)
It's the other way round: As opposed to IC2 power storage blocks, GT battery buffers do not interact with any kind of pipe, conduit etc.. So for lossless power transfer, you need to use a CESU/MFE/MFSU as intermediate buffer, which then requires additional transformers to connect to GT. It works, but it's awkward.

@MigukNamja
Estimated time only works if you have a near-constant power draw. Which is rare.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
It's the other way round: As opposed to IC2 power storage blocks, GT battery buffers do not interact with any kind of pipe, conduit etc.. So for lossless power transfer, you need to use a CESU/MFE/MFSU as intermediate buffer, which then requires additional transformers to connect to GT. It works, but it's awkward.

So 4 pairs of mfsu+gt transformer per 1 IV battery buffer. I could work with that, I'm sure I'll find a way to make it space-efficient :)