[1.7.10] Ingenuity - Are you Ingenious? ---- Where's all the usual mods?!?! o.O

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Um AE2 sucks and takes way to much to get into even for a late game mod. That shatter takes some doing to get and i don't know if spending 40+ Hours would be the same as a tool you can make in the first hour of play time. The stream axe sucks unless they changed require you to keep standing there while it chops down the tree which in turn doesn't really save that much time. why do you need to clear leaves? it isn't a Skyblock map pack. to the last one there is a mod now that lets every pick place torches. Tico crossbow are better as i have used witchery ones and if you have you know that they are cool but low damage. We don't need stuff that does the same thing we need stuff that does it Better!
I get what you're saying, but this pack is all about using mods that aren't normally used. Using corporea sparks or automagy instead of AE, botania tools instead of tinkers tools.

AE2 does not suck. It's a neat mod and the channel system is really fun to mess with. Though it is more built around automation than storage really. If you just want to store all your random crud in a few blocks, it's not all that complicated to do. However if you want to start automating stuff, you need more power, more resources, and more channels. You'll also need an automatic mining system of some sort to be able to generate that much resources. Which makes sense when you're doing complex automation stuff.

The thing is, tinkers construct is put into most packs. It's the definition of overused. Also, because it's so easy to get the powerful items, it completely overshadows the functionality of other mods. The hammer is easy to get, so nobody makes terra shatterers. The cleaver is easy to get, so nobody makes elementium axes.

The axe of the stream isn't about saving time, it's about saving effort. A massive tree with 50 branches is a pain to cut down manually, but the axe does it without you having to go monkey mode. And as I said previously, the easily available tinkers tool makes nobody get anything else from other mods.

Clearing leaves? I was just checking off tinkers tools. The scythe does that functionality, and some packs don't have fast leaf decay or random things to speed up the leaves falling, leaving you to either wait for the leaves to decay naturally, or cut them down yourself. The scythe clears a 3x3 area of leaves in one go. The horn clears a large area of leaves in a few seconds.

The torch thing? that backs up my argument that tinkers has functionality elsewhere. You could use that mod instead of tinkers for the torch placing functionality.

Botania also has more powerful weaponry, but you have to earn it with mana generation and progression instead of mining a few ores. And they're more interesting than normal bows and arrows.

Reactions: ZephyrWindSpirit

Danjal

Jul 29, 2019
**SNIP**
Botania is put in a ton of modpacks, but it's a marvelous mod. It uses simple, easy to understand mechanics, but can get as complicated as you want to get. It also does some really cool things that aren't replicated by many other mechanics, like the tiny planet or shard of lupita. You don't see that stuff in many other mods.
**SNIP**
You're definitely right in saying that while Botania is used in a lot of packs. Its not fully "utilized" by most players as there are easier alternatives. (AE2 and Tinkers predominantly.)
Why use corporeal sparks when you have AE2, why use the tools when you have Tinkers Tools.

I love the concept of making people think on how to implement something a different way than default.
Its why I've taken a liking to Mekanism myself.
The bugs on Ars Magica seem a shame (I wasn't aware untill someone said it here that it was no longer updated).
That will make this pack stand out in the lineup. =)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I get what you're saying, but this pack is all about using mods that aren't normally used. Using corporea sparks or automagy instead of AE, botania tools instead of tinkers tools.

AE2 does not suck. It's a neat mod and the channel system is really fun to mess with. Though it is more built around automation than storage really. If you just want to store all your random crud in a few blocks, it's not all that complicated to do. However if you want to start automating stuff, you need more power, more resources, and more channels. You'll also need an automatic mining system of some sort to be able to generate that much resources. Which makes sense when you're doing complex automation stuff.

The thing is, tinkers construct is put into most packs. It's the definition of overused. Also, because it's so easy to get the powerful items, it completely overshadows the functionality of other mods. The hammer is easy to get, so nobody makes terra shatterers. The cleaver is easy to get, so nobody makes elementium axes.

The axe of the stream isn't about saving time, it's about saving effort. A massive tree with 50 branches is a pain to cut down manually, but the axe does it without you having to go monkey mode. And as I said previously, the easily available tinkers tool makes nobody get anything else from other mods.

Clearing leaves? I was just checking off tinkers tools. The scythe does that functionality, and some packs don't have fast leaf decay or random things to speed up the leaves falling, leaving you to either wait for the leaves to decay naturally, or cut them down yourself. The scythe clears a 3x3 area of leaves in one go. The horn clears a large area of leaves in a few seconds.

The torch thing? that backs up my argument that tinkers has functionality elsewhere. You could use that mod instead of tinkers for the torch placing functionality.

Botania also has more powerful weaponry, but you have to earn it with mana generation and progression instead of mining a few ores. And they're more interesting than normal bows and arrows.
AE2 sucks. I hold to that it didn't used to but now they have made it to over complicated to get into and there are simple mods that can be used combined to do the same thing. SFM is easier to use and allows better automation. Ender has sorting for chest system and you can search chest using nei. I mean you can even make a crafting room with Super crafting frames. rofl. All without waiting hours to grow crystals and spending time hunt meteors just to get a start in the mod.

The compare was Stream vs Lumber axe. Instance beats standing there 30 sec waiting. Also unlike the stream i can mod a 2nd lumber axe with luck and smelting for those that use Charcoal. 2 minute with bonemeal and jungle/spuce tree saplings working wonders. heck at end game i can make unbreakable tools. rofl

Again you can just add in the decay mod Why do you need leaves? really? And if is crop being used now you can't use on a farm. Also can't use the horn near your farm.

TiCo bow and arrows can both be modded making them hands down one of the best ranged weapons and the new crossbow modded is just "Sick" good.

Try putting smelting, redstone, and luck on a Hammer then strip mining. What tool mod beats that?
Post some examples of replacements that are "better" then the mods you want out. Meaning it is easier to use, more balanced, and has tiered system for end game play.

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Let me guess, you liked the magic cable approach of AE1 because it were simpler, but it were also alot more boring. You just hook everything up to one cable, and whatever you do it pretty much works. Channels provide some interesting management issues rather than just "hook it up to input and export bus and that's all the automation you will ever need". I'm not fond of the metors 'rng hunt' that much, but I'd take AE2 as a whole over AE1 as a whole anyday. Growing crystals can be sped up, and you can get a decent network without ever needing to use unaccelerated crystal growth. (8 channels is plenty to start with, or at least get to the point of getting the growth accellerators). Steve's Factory manager (and computercraft) I feel is one of those mods that is really difficult to balance in a pack. They are both really cheap and often compact for what they can do. I tend to avoid using these mods as they tend to make things TOO simple for my liking. (Ofc there is sometimes no reasonable alternative, or I need the compactness.)

That said, I do prefer Logistics Pipes over both AE and AE2 automation wise, although in terms of shoving as much stuff into a single block space as possible, AE2 is the clear winner.

I admit I prefer the lumber axe to the axe of the stream. The instant log chop beats out the faster leaf decay offered by the axe of the stream imo.

I honestly found the quick leaf decay mod slightly annoying when I actually needed leaves. Take out the wrong one on certain kinds of tree and all the leaves are gone before you can get one.

ThatGuyOverThere

Jul 29, 2019
All without waiting hours to grow crystals and spending time hunt meteors just to get a start in the mod.
Speaking of which, has anyone actually found any meteors?
I haven't found any, and I'd like to make my village more 21st century ;)

Also, these villages are great and all... but is it just impossible to get a village that makes timber frames?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Let me guess, you liked the magic cable approach of AE1 because it were simpler, but it were also alot more boring. You just hook everything up to one cable, and whatever you do it pretty much works. Channels provide some interesting management issues rather than just "hook it up to input and export bus and that's all the automation you will ever need". I'm not fond of the metors 'rng hunt' that much, but I'd take AE2 as a whole over AE1 as a whole anyday. Growing crystals can be sped up, and you can get a decent network without ever needing to use unaccelerated crystal growth. (8 channels is plenty to start with, or at least get to the point of getting the growth accellerators). Steve's Factory manager (and computercraft) I feel is one of those mods that is really difficult to balance in a pack. They are both really cheap and often compact for what they can do. I tend to avoid using these mods as they tend to make things TOO simple for my liking. (Ofc there is sometimes no reasonable alternative, or I need the compactness.)

That said, I do prefer Logistics Pipes over both AE and AE2 automation wise, although in terms of shoving as much stuff into a single block space as possible, AE2 is the clear winner.

I admit I prefer the lumber axe to the axe of the stream. The instant log chop beats out the faster leaf decay offered by the axe of the stream imo.

I honestly found the quick leaf decay mod slightly annoying when I actually needed leaves. Take out the wrong one on certain kinds of tree and all the leaves are gone before you can get one.
Leaves will not decay unless you take out the wood first. If you need the leaves you can just take the leaves first then cut down the tree. Not having watched my videos you don't know my way. I prefer the simplest ways for automation is best. So the complicated Builds in my world are not necessary. I find that people watch youtubers do the most complicated and they think that is the best way to do it when in most cases it is not in fact the simplest ways work 3 times as good and require little work to do. I also see the fact that there are people that like the Greg Tech type of mods. As for the Channels i haven't used them or the imput/output that much as none of my build require. I use AE2 for mostly Craft and Storage when i need parts i just make them. I mean NEI has shift clicking recipes and it doesn't take that much long as you have the recipes. My fav mod for ore processing is Mek though even if it is OP there is just so much you can do with it plus i like Paxils over Mattocks. If Mek is in a pack i don't even use Tico except for made early Modded picks.

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I were thinking of the Slimy Sapling actually. With fast leaf decay, taking one leaf will decay them all very fast, thankfully you only usually need one or two of them, there are other "unstable" leaved trees, but none of them I'd really need to consider shearing. I do know that leaves don't decay unless they aren't connected to a log, I'm not a complete novice at minecraft.

I don't like over-complexity, but AE2 is NOT over-complex. I really find it boring if things are too simple. Once you've got over the inital hurdle of learning how channels work, they are very simple in concept, but the possiblities are near endless. I like at least attempting to make builds that you can see how they work without needing to open a GUI. Which is 9 times out of 10 the case if you use computercraft or SFM. The fact that both mods are very cheap for what they do, also averts me from them. I'm not saying you can't like simple ways of doing things, but to me, simple is not always the best way of doing things.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
i hate computer craft and have no reason it is silly really i think it is the computer code stuff. I do love turtles. rofl If they would stop being buggy. It is the whole growing crystals and find meteors that throws me off the AE2 now more then anything. I don't mind the channels.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
My fav mining method is 4 mining turtles and a silky Hammer. rofl

ThatGuyOverThere

Jul 29, 2019
i hate computer craft and have no reason it is silly really i think it is the computer code stuff. I do love turtles. rofl If they would stop being buggy. It is the whole growing crystals and find meteors that throws me off the AE2 now more then anything. I don't mind the channels.
I LOVE turtles, only annoying thing is when a chunk they are working in gets unloaded. It'd be nice if the mod that added the chunk-loader turtle thing would update :/

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
As a sum-up of everything, here's my opinions (sorry for not speaking until now)
AE2 will stay, it isn't the most complex thing in the world, but nor is it as easy as ComputerCraft or Steve's factory manager.
Botania, it's only here because it adds non-free flight, and the much nicer speed boosts
TiCon... find me a mod that tiers stuff better than tinkers? I am going to add an optional Minetweaker, which when enabled will force the better tools (ones that need the tool forge) behind mid/end-game Botania (alfiem portal), and maybe other mods, dunno yet. (maybe the same with AE2, using steel for the cables, or something, just to make it cost a little more, and use other mods)

What else did I miss?

Oh yeah, this
I think the mods that are in here that seem to have made their way from the kitchen to the study (This is now a study-desk pack, as I had to do a lot of research on millenaire - never used it before :/) are good fits. It's like a cup of coffee, and a plate with a nice sandwhich on. Not too much has been brought over, but everything that has seems to have its place, and makes it so you have something to keep you going throughout you 'ventures into other mods, most of which I have never used/seen, and in some case, heard of before.
I like that.
I'm a sucker for analogies, and this one is quite nice.

When I started mashing this pack together it was made with the intention of it being a "kitchen sink, with almost no popular mods"

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh sorry, my bad. But I think Tinkers is quite popular. People often dont use other tools.
Yeah, but that is because vanilla tools suck in... at least in my opinion, hence why I added Tinkers. There's no mod that does tools quite like it

TwiiCe

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Jordsta, Got something that will most likely confuse you.
My NEI is causing freezes to my client. I think its because of the spawners on the first tab, because if I'm quick I can look up botania and other mods just fine.
Looking at the crash log the "spawnerrenderer" seems to come up a lot confirming my suspicions.
Basically:
[16:01:21] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [net.minecraft.crash.CrashReport:func_85057_a:320]: Negative index in crash report handler (0/32)
[16:01:21] [Client thread/ERROR]: Couldn't render entity
net.minecraft.util.ReportedException: Registering texture
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110579_a(SourceFile:91) ~[bqf.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110577_a(SourceFile:40) ~[bqf.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.Render.func_110776_a(SourceFile:51) ~[bno.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.Render.func_110777_b(SourceFile:47) ~[bno.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RendererLivingEntity.func_77036_a(RendererLivingEntity.java:286) ~[boh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RendererLivingEntity.func_76986_a(RendererLivingEntity.java:149) [boh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderLiving.func_76986_a(SourceFile:23) [bok.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderBiped.func_76986_a(RenderBiped.java:164) [bnw.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderBiped.func_76986_a(RenderBiped.java:361) [bnw.class:?]
at org.millenaire.client.RenderMillVillager.func_76986_a(RenderMillVillager.java:91) [RenderMillVillager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderManager.func_147939_a(RenderManager.java:293) [bnn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderManager.func_147940_a(RenderManager.java:276) [bnn.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.SpawnerRenderer.renderInventoryItem(SpawnerRenderer.java:53) [SpawnerRenderer.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.SpawnerRenderer.renderItem(SpawnerRenderer.java:81) [SpawnerRenderer.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.ForgeHooksClient.renderInventoryItem(ForgeHooksClient.java:183) [ForgeHooksClient.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderItem.func_82406_b(RenderItem.java:563) [bny.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.drawItem(GuiContainerManager.java:187) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.drawItem(GuiContainerManager.java:177) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.ItemPanel.draw(ItemPanel.java:129) [ItemPanel.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.LayoutManager.renderObjects(LayoutManager.java:196) [LayoutManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.renderObjects(GuiContainerManager.java:387) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiContainer.func_73863_a(GuiContainer.java:120) [bex.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1061) [blt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:989) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
over and over for every (spawner?).

Complete log here: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/81e5930e

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Jordsta, Got something that will most likely confuse you.
My NEI is causing freezes to my client. I think its because of the spawners on the first tab, because if I'm quick I can look up botania and other mods just fine.
Looking at the crash log the "spawnerrenderer" seems to come up a lot confirming my suspicions.
Basically:
[16:01:21] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [net.minecraft.crash.CrashReport:func_85057_a:320]: Negative index in crash report handler (0/32)
[16:01:21] [Client thread/ERROR]: Couldn't render entity
net.minecraft.util.ReportedException: Registering texture
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110579_a(SourceFile:91) ~[bqf.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureManager.func_110577_a(SourceFile:40) ~[bqf.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.Render.func_110776_a(SourceFile:51) ~[bno.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.Render.func_110777_b(SourceFile:47) ~[bno.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RendererLivingEntity.func_77036_a(RendererLivingEntity.java:286) ~[boh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RendererLivingEntity.func_76986_a(RendererLivingEntity.java:149) [boh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderLiving.func_76986_a(SourceFile:23) [bok.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderBiped.func_76986_a(RenderBiped.java:164) [bnw.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderBiped.func_76986_a(RenderBiped.java:361) [bnw.class:?]
at org.millenaire.client.RenderMillVillager.func_76986_a(RenderMillVillager.java:91) [RenderMillVillager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderManager.func_147939_a(RenderManager.java:293) [bnn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderManager.func_147940_a(RenderManager.java:276) [bnn.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.SpawnerRenderer.renderInventoryItem(SpawnerRenderer.java:53) [SpawnerRenderer.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.SpawnerRenderer.renderItem(SpawnerRenderer.java:81) [SpawnerRenderer.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.ForgeHooksClient.renderInventoryItem(ForgeHooksClient.java:183) [ForgeHooksClient.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.entity.RenderItem.func_82406_b(RenderItem.java:563) [bny.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.drawItem(GuiContainerManager.java:187) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.drawItem(GuiContainerManager.java:177) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.ItemPanel.draw(ItemPanel.java:129) [ItemPanel.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.LayoutManager.renderObjects(LayoutManager.java:196) [LayoutManager.class:?]
at codechicken.nei.guihook.GuiContainerManager.renderObjects(GuiContainerManager.java:387) [GuiContainerManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiContainer.func_73863_a(GuiContainer.java:120) [bex.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1061) [blt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:989) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
over and over for every (spawner?).

Complete log here: http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/81e5930e
I'll look into this, I have a few ideas on how to fix this :)