[1.7.10][HQM] Tame the World - Magic and Tech, Exploration, and Pain

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
vwtvWSD.png
FTB Packcode: tameTheWorld
Report Issues: https://github.com/fullphaser/Tame-The-World
Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TameTheWorld/
Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/0hh8cmHesQfTfxRz
Version 0.1.13 Now available (Updated 05-16-2016) Check out the changelog for more details!

What is Tame the World?

At it's core, The Tame the World aims at 3 Core Elements
  • Difficult enough to please most folks who were looking for a Minecraft that wasn't afraid of them even in Diamond Armor
  • Allowing for Large, Comprehensive, and Aesthetically pleasing builds
  • Rewarding Exploration of both World and Game
I was inspired by a few Modpacks that exist out there today, including Hubris, There Will be Blood, and Simplicity. The Truth is that I really liked these modpacks, but each of them had their own elements that really didn't fit with my play style. Hubris world was almost Too harsh, There Will Be Blood's progressions system broke so much from traditional Minecraft that it was difficult to get settled into, and Simplicity was fun and had at it's core what I wanted but lacked certain touches that I felt made the world harsh enough.

The objective of the Mod pack is to make the world Harsh and Unforgiving but at the same time still allowing the player to build magnificent structures that show they really can and did tame the world. Exploration should be rewarded with more then simply finding more of an item you can already craft, it should be unique things that don't make the game impossible without, but do make it easier.

And Finally I didn't wish to break Minecraft's simple formula too much. Iguana Tweaks and Tinker's construct, these mods are fine on their own right, but I feel that they take away from the heart of Minecraft, they make it so that someone who knows vanilla but doesn't know the modded world would be so horribly at a loss they wouldn't know where to start. I wanted to make it possible for a Vanilla minecraft player to feel like they could get started without Feeling completely at a loss.

Mod List:

Changelog:
Version 0.1.13
Mod Downgrades
- Zombie Awareness Downgraded to Verion 1.9.6 (TPS Lag resulting in 50% lag on some servers)
Mod Updates
- Rotarycraft (12E -> 13A)
- DragonAPI (12E -> 13B)
- Immersive Engineering (.75 -> .77)
- Applecore (1.3.0 -> 1.3.1)
- Roguelike Dungeons (1.4.4 -> 1.5.0)
- Fastcraft (1.2.1 -> 1.2.3)
- Journey Map (10.5.1.4 -> 10.5.1.4p1 )
- Railcraft ( 9.10 -> 9.12 )
- CookingForBlockheads (1.3.4 -> 1.4.0)
Config Changes
- Silex were getting to frisky and lagging servers, made them a hint less frisky
- Adjusted Spawn Weights of Jengu / Zephyr / Silex
- Adjusted Ika SPanw rate
- Vanilla Versions of the normal mobs will spawn rather then special versions of those mobs
- Meteorite Ore no longer has natural ore generation, you have to get it from falling meteros
Quest Changes
- Chapter 1 - Swiper No Swiping - Bigger and better now a detection quest and using a different backpack.
- Chapter 1 - Vroom Vroom Shroom - Mushroom Soup Bowl detection updated
- Quest book forgot what heart canisters were, it was reminded.

Version 0.1.12
Mods Added
- Gany's Nether Mod
- Squidless
Mods Modified
- Difficult Life
Mods Updated
- Updated to Weather / Storms (2.3.9 -> 2.3.10)
- Updated FTB Libs / Util ( 0.13.3 -> 0.17.6 )
- Railcraft (9.9.0.0 -> 9.10.0.0)
- Immersive Integration (0.6.7 -> 0.6.8)
- Rotarycraft (11 -> 12e)
- DragonAPI (11 -> 12e)
- Immersive Engineering ( 0.7.4 -> 0.7.5)
- Forge Multi Part (1.2.0.345 -> 1.2.0.347)
- StorageDrawers (1.9.4 -> 1.9.7)
- Reosurce loader (1.2 -> 1.3
Config Changes
- Added Tags for Tame the World for Open Eye
- Increased chance of Blood Moon from 1/100000 to 1/1000
- Zombies won't reach Warp speed anymore
- Turned growthcraft Bee Generation off (again)
Script Changes
- Added soulGlass.zs to fix Gany's Glass / Natura Soul Sand glass compatability
- Added Gany's Nether Cooked Bat Wing to cooked Meats
Quest Changes
- New Chapter - Into the Firey Depths (Nether / Gany's Nether / Natura)
- Chapter 1 - Slightly reorganized!
- Chapter 1 - Leather Tis Nobler now has a reward
- Chapter 1 - A crooked Salesmen - Changed subquest around a bit
- Chapter 1 - Weathered Down now has a reward
- Chapter 1 - charcoal quest now has a reward
- Chapter 1 - New Quest for Mushrooms / Mushroom Stew
- Chapter 1 - New Quest for door
- Chapter 1 - Swiper No Swiping - Tanning your Skins - Now detection rather then crafting
- Agriculture - Removed Rainbow Curry as quest requirement (As it is uncraftable)
- Decoration - New quest for Topiary Grass
- Decoration - Factor it in - Now a detection quest
- Decoration - New Quest for Armor Stands
- Chapter 2 - You're a Wizard Harry - Players First Wand - Set to NBT Independent Detection
- Chapter 2 - Redstone - Redstone Comparator no longer required for quest completion
- Chapter 2 - Fuming with Envy - Now a detection task
- Chapter 2 - It's getting hot in here - Set t detection for the clay jars
- Thaumaturgy - Reordered quest a bit.
Other
- Added wget.exe to libraries folder, it went missing at some time

Version 0.1.11
Mods Added
- Cooking for Blockheads
- FTB Utilities
- FTB Lib
- Not Enough Resources
- Bakcpacks mod
Mods Removed
- Aroma Core
- Aroma Backup
Mods Updated
- Botania (Was Version r1.8 247 - now r 1.8 249 )
- Hardcore ender Expansion (was 1.8.4 now 1.8.5)
- Automagy (Was 0.27 now 0.28.2 )
- Forbidden Magic (Was 0.572 now 0.573 )
- Immersive Engineering ( Was 0.651 now 0.74 )
- Immersive Integration (Was 0.66 now 0.67)
- Growthcraft Community Edition ( Was 0.2.3.1 now 0.2.4.0 )
- Roguelike Dungeons (was 1.3.6.3 now 1.4.4)
- Ruins (Now 15.4)
- Storage Drawers ( Was 1.7.5 now 1.7.8 )
- Spiace of Life (Was 1.3.0 now 1.3.1 )
- Arcane Engineering (Was 0.2.1 now 0.2.6)
- Maliscore ( Was 0.14.0 now 0.14.3)
- Malis Doors ( Was 1.13.0 now 1.13.2)
- MobProperties (Was 0.4.2 now 0.4.3)
- Specialmobs (Was 3.2.1 now 3.2.2.)
- Journey Map (Was
- Malisis Doors (Was 0.13.0 now 0.13.1 )
- Railcraft (9.8.0.0 - 9.9.0.0
- Nei integration (1.1.1 - 1.1.2)
- Jouryney map (5.1.3 - 5.1.4)
- Dragon API - 10d - 11b
- Storage drawers ( 1.7.8 - 1.9.4 )
- Roatarycraft ( 10d 11b )
Config Updates
- Removed Apples from Default spawn for FTB util
- Changed Default MOTD
- Turned on the Creative Thaumonomicon
- Reduced Taint Spread a bit
- Turned Hungry spiders back on
- Set enablecropspecialplanting to False (To fix cranberries and seaweed)
- Weather machine no longer makes tornadoes (Blame Az)
Script
- Created fruitSap.zs to help with Cherry Quest
- Created Bibliofix.zs to put the Bibliocraft furniture into it's own oredictionary
Quest
- Created two new Chapters for Rotarycraft and Thaumcraft
- Chapter 1 - How to use the Book - Added a reward of wood
- Chapter 1 - Added quest for Backpacks
- Chapter 1 - Sieving with Envy - Changed to Ore Dictionary Detection
- Agriculture - Added Quest to accomodate the addition of Cooking for Blockheads
- Agriculture - Changed Falling Far From the Tree to Ore Dictionary Detection
- Decoration - Shelved away - Set all quest for Ore Dictionary Detection
- Decoration - Don't Table this quest - Set quest for ore dictionary detection
- Chapter 2 - You're a Wizard Harry - Changed Quest from Crafting to Detection
- Chapter 2 - You're a Wizard Harry - Nuggets - Decreased number of times to craft to 2 (Was 10)
- Chapter 2 - Added quest for Spectral Key
- Chapter 2 - Corrected Botania petal Apothocary Quest to now be Detection based
- Chapter 2 - Circular Logic - Added reward for quest
- Immersed in Engineering - Quest 420 - Changed to Detection for Hemp
- Immersed in Engiineering - Industrial Expansion - Updated for 0.70 Update
- Immersed in Engineering - Winding up - Low Voltate Fun - Changed LV Capacitor to NPT Independent Detection
- Immersed in Engineering - Added quest for "Improved Blast Furance
- Immersed in Engineering - Steeling the Show - Decreased number of times to Craft to 14 (Was 27)
- Immersed in Engineering - I sell Coke Ovens - Decreased number of times to craft to 14 (Was 27)
- Immersed in Engineering - Byproduct - Decreased number of times to craft to 1 (Was 8)
- Immersed in Engineering - Up up and Away- Balloon changed to normal
- Botaniacal Relevance - Weaving a Destiny - Fixed the Cowl (I think)

Version 0.1.10
Mods Added
- Aroma Backup
- YAMPST
- UpdateCheckerMod
- Immersive Integration
- Version Checker
Mods Updated
- Updated Chisel (Was 2.9.3.9 now 2.9.4.10)
- Updated Forbidden Magic (Was 0.57 now 0.572)
- Updated Journey Map (Was 5.1.1 now 5.1.3)
- Updated Malis Doors (Was 1.12 now 1.13)
- Updated Malis Core (Was 0.12 Now 0.14)
- UPdated ModTweaker (Was 0.9.4 now 0.9.5)
- Updated NEI Integration (Was 1.0.13 now 1.1.1 )
- Updated Pam's Harvestcraft (Was 1.7.10k now 1.7.10Lb)
- Updated Storage Drawers (Was 1.6.3 now 1.7.5)
- Updated Botania (Was .242 now .247)
- Updated HQM (Was 4.4.2 now 4.4.4)
- Updated Ruins (No Version Number given)
- Updated Rotarycraft (Was 9b now 10d)
- updated DragonAPI (Was 9b now 10d)
- Updated Immersive Integration (Was .65 now .66)
- Updated Immersive Engineering ( Was .64 now .6.5.1)
Config Changes
- Cleaned up the Config folder a bit
- Decreased spawn cap of Raiko by 1 (Was 3 now 2)
- Turned Waila Back on by default
- Exported HQM Quest to JSON
- Reduced Item Damage on Death (was 32 Now 10)
- Reduced Growth Time on Sugar cane and Saplings
- Added Wool of Bat to Several Bat Mob Drop List
- Added Creeper Heart to Several Creeper Mob Drop List
- Added Spectral Dust to Several Undead Mob Drop List
- Added Witch Hand to several Witch Drop List
- Added Tongue of Dog to Several Dog Drop List
Scripts
- Created railIECook.zs to hide Railcraft's Coke Oven and Blast Furnace Blocks
- created wormWood.zs to fix the fact that you can't make wormwood seeds normally
- Added a shapeless recipie for Seaweed / Cranberries seeds (Temp)
Quest
- Adding 2 New Chapers Witchery and Railcraft with over 70+ New Quest
- Chapter 2 - Library Card - Changed Bookshelf Requirements
- Immersed in Engineering - Grit your Teeth - Changed Flavor text for "Butter is required" Quest
- Reorganized Quest in Chapter 1 ( Cutting Edge Technology > A Crooked Salesmen > Bedding with the Enemy)
- Moved Quest "Weathered Down" In Chapter 2 to Chapter 1 after Diamonds are Forever
- Chapter 2: Botanical Thoughts - Updated to a detection quest with the most recent version of Botania
- Chapter 1: Hard as Glass > Almost Hit Bedrock. Reduced Obsidian from 15 - 10
- Chapter 2: You're a Wizard Harry > Nuggets - Changed Nuggets to Thaumcraft Nuggets, and made detection ore dictionary
- Add potions to reward bags
- Moved Quest around Chapter 1: Diamonds are Forever now leads to Chapter 2 Panning for Gold, which unlocks all but the enchanting quest
- Chapter 1: Bedding with the Enemy - Added a reward!
- Chapter 2: Added New quest
- Chapter 2: Set some reverse triggers up so that the entire chapter is not revealed all at once.
- Agriculture - Seeds of Beginning - Now a Detection Quest not crafting
- Agriculture - Hopped Up - Quest 2 - Set to be Detection not Crafting
- Chapter 1: Added Quest - Travel By Sea
- Updated Agriculture - Seedy Buisness to now use Barley seeds instead of garlic seeds
Other
- Cleaning up Github

Version 0.1.9
Config Changes
- Flipped B:machine.alpha.coke.oven=false to True to correct Furnace bug.

See Full Changelog

FAQ
Where Is...?
  • Blood Magic - I actually added blood magic initially but pulled it from later releases for multiple reasons. The most obvious is that while Witchery, Thaumcraft, and others have a very internalized progression system. Blood Magic's ultimately revolves around it's most central aspect, the blood alter. What it added to the game was more grindy (To me) then thought provoking. Beyond that There were already 3 very competent Magic mods on the list and I felt the addition of a 4th would be overkill
  • AE2 - In Truth? I don't feel it really fits with the spirit of to the mod. It has it's own internalized complexity sure, but much like Tinker's construct (which I am about to get into) I feel it takes an element of Minecraft and devalues it (storage and crafting) to the point where it is no longer really the same game. Sure Botania's little ring hud does similar, but I feel as if AE2 takes an element of play and lessens it. (it was considered though I promise)
  • Tinkers Construct - I like Ticon, I think it's a perfectly good mod... just not for what I'm looking for. I felt that TiCon not only makes the Vanilla Tools Obsolete, but it also makes obsolete the other tools offered by other mods. It completely strips any other mod of their tools because frankly they just won't ever be better. And the primary way to balance it (Iguana Tweaks) makes the game even more unfriendly to new players
  • Ender IO - Aestetically and thematically I just wasn't a fan, nothing against Ender IO, it just wasn't the right mod to feel tine "Industrial side" of the pack
  • CoFH - I thought about this one for a long time, and ultimately I decided the the COFH family of mods just wasn't the right fit. The Progressions wasn't right and It just didn't fit with the Steam Punk feel that i was trying to achieve.
What is ____ doing here?
  • Trophy Slots - This one I'm still on the Fence about and I'd like to see how it plays out in Testing. Ultimately I think it could be a very interesting mod for early game, forcing the player to think about their inventory and storage solutions, what is really important on them in those adventures. If it proves to just be an absolute thorn in my side and the players side then we'll drop or tweak it, but for right now I find it interesting
  • Ex Nihilo - What's a Skyblock mod doing in an adventure game you ask? Welll... at it's core I wanted this to really be an options mod. To give the player a choice about how they wanted to move forward with their resource gathering. I'd like to keep it, even if we need to make some changes to help balance it so it's not the /optimal/ source of resources, I want to make sure at the very least if you really just aren't feeling like caving that you do have an option
Will you add ____ ?
Ultimately this all depends on how good an argument can be made for it to join the pack, that it fits not only the theme, but the intended vision of game play. For instance I'm keeping a close eye on Mariculture because I feel like that could fit the theme and be interesting, but It's one of those things that I'm going to have to test out and feel out where it fits in. There's also things that may still be removed, Maybe Pneumaticraft just feels to different, or perhaps 3 Magic mods is to many, maybe no one actually wants to go to the twilight forest. At this stage I think this is important to sort through

Development Stages
Alpha
These initial builds are basically going to be figuring out /which/ mods I want to move forward with, which really exemplify the theme of the pack the best, helping sort out which ones feel good, and which ones don't. There could be many world resets during these stages as we try to get a handle on the world Generation (What kind of Ores are going to make to the final cut, etc). Think of this as Engine Development

Beta
Once we've settled on the mods, I'd like to begin to do bug testing and more cross mod integration. At this stage I'd like to add HQM so that we can begin creating not only a lore but also a structure to help the player progress, a guide to let them know exactly what it is, tools wise, that they have at their disposal. Initial balancing tweaks as well in terms of health / etc. All that fun stuff

RC

Settled on Mods this would be purely balancing trying to get things right, making sure the game feels right at every stage, from the very first time you log into the world, until you are standing upon a monument to your own arrogance

Release

This will ultimately be mod updates, and keeping things in check

Upcoming Changes
Version 0.1.13

Please let me know what you think, I'm happy to hear all feedback positive and negative and I'm more then excited to see what players do in the environment. Without player feed back i'm just one lonely guy making a very weird collection of Java files work together.

Let's Plays:

Last edited:
Reactions: AwesomeGamerMC

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Updated to Version 0.1.4

Changes:
Version 0.1.4
- Changed Spawn Rate of some dungeons in DungeonPack (More simple dungeons FAR LESS boss dungeons
- Added Rotarycraft (With Permission) & Readme.txt
- Changed ID for Rotarycraft Freezing Potion
- Decreased Ruins Spawning rate
- Incraesed chance of Heart spawning in Dungeon quest
- Added Mob Properties
- Set drop rate for Heart Canister from Battle Tower Golems to 100%
- Fixed properties for Dense Ores for Immersive Engineering

Also if folks are interested I have a Dedicated Server which will be running the most recent public version (warning as this is Alpha Still during the Alpha stages [though hopefully VERY minimal] it is possible world resets will occur). PM Me here if you would like the Server details

Last edited:

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Version 0.1.5

- Disabled Blaze Rod / Ender Pearl Barrel Recipies / Soul Sand Recipies
- Decreased drop rate from using a Sieve by a factor of 2 (May adjust in the future)
- Turned off Diamond Recipie in Pressure chamber
- Updated Botania ( Was r1.7-226 now r1.7-228 )
- Updated Bibliocraft ( Was 1.11.12 now 1.11.13 )
- Added Dr. Cyano's Lootable Bodies
- Adjusted Silverfish Vein Spawning rate (was 10 now 2 )
- Added Antique Atlas, I thought I had but apparently I hadn't.
- Fixed the images so that now they are PNG's

I'm looking into some odd spikey lag, I suspect that it's being caused by difficult-life and doing a lot of IO operations every minute or so, but I can't confirm that.

UnD3adLegacy

Jul 29, 2019
Probably shouldn't ask this here but...do you have a link for There Will Be Blood :D I am also starting to play this :D and good luck with the pack.
EDIT: Nevermind I found it but good luck on your pack :D

Last edited:

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Probably shouldn't ask this here but...do you have a link for There Will Be Blood :D I am also starting to play this :D and good luck with the pack.
EDIT: Nevermind I found it but good luck on your pack :D

Ah I am happy to hear you found it and I hope you enjoy the pack, let me know if anything crashes or the likes. I'm starting to finalize the pack's mods now... not 100% settled but close to it. I may also release a version of the mod pack with less core mods (Drop some of the magic / tech mods and leave the mob / etc. mods in). One of those things I'm weighing in on now. Though I am kind of curious about any lag or video issues that anyone might be having. i had a video issue reported earlier that I'm looking into now

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Updated to Version 0.1.6

KNOWN BUGS: The Server pack that was published with this one has the Libraries for Forge Version 1517, You'll need to download and replace them with the forge Libraries for 1448. I am getting together a bug fix for 0.1.7 However it may take a bit to get that released. I apologize for this inconvenience .

Changelog:

Version 0.1.6
- added Silex as a fish
- Changed Chisel 2 to Chisel in light of some forking going on.
- Decreased the Area limit on Silex
- Removed Lapis as a drop from Silex
- Reduced Hoe Damage Modifier
- Allowed Stone / Wooden Hoe Recipies
- Added Malis Doors
- Adjusted Market Price in Harvestcraft for Seeds and Saplings (was 1 Now 10 Emeralds)
- Removed Market to sell Animals
- Downgraded Forge version to stable release (1448)
- Updated Readme
- Updated Immersive Engineering to 0.6 (Was 0.54)

Alcanarias

Jul 29, 2019
After looking for a good mod pack that really felt different, but not limited, I found yours and have been playing it for the past week or so. I'm not too far in progression wise since I've mostly been base building. I saw that there weren't many posts and thought I'd offer my feedback. I love it! I'm one of those odd "fed up with all this tech, single block, easy boring mode," types. I love multiblocks and interesting set ups that combine mods. When you can have ore processing take place in two blocks it's just wrong. I also like the increased difficulty and have been dying regularly as clockwork. Specific point, but it's nice to see AE2 absent, the Inventarium is far and away more interesting to use and balanced I think. Flip side, nice to see Ruins, BattleTowers, and other exploration improvements included, which are absent in most packs. Absolutely brilliant to see Thaumic Horizons alongside all the other Thaumcraft addons. It regularly gets left out but it's very good. The hunger and food system is fantastic, the crop growing time is as it should be and the increased sapling growth timer really pushes you to get a Lamp of Growth going for serious farms. I also prefer it because it slows down the pace of progression, and I enjoy having a slower game than most people, I think. Although that being said, the chicken egg timer feels a bit inflated, I feel they could lay a bit sooner. They're being paid by the hour. I don't mind Ex Nihilo, it's a nice, lag free way to create lava. Last thing is I love the absence of Minefactory Reloaded. Great mod, but makes everything way too easy. Also Malisis doors, thank you.

Not negative feedback but mentioning it. I've played a lot of mod packs with the Twilight Forest. I've never really been. I mined there once which is a shame because it's got a lot of content. I see you've mentioned removing it in upcoming changes and I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. I like the little glowing bugs for building but that's about it. As a bit of a DnD fan I like Dungeon Mobs and I don't half mind Dark Menagerie, but Special Mobs just feels a bit too much. Lycanite's Mobs is brilliant, but as a personal thing and slight bit of feedback, I was forced to alter the config files for a few mobs since some overworld features spawn with fire, above ground. Entire forests can very quickly become ashes and after building most of my house out of wood, I'm just not prepared for that sort of devastation. (I easily fixed this by changing Cinders to spawn in Lava, and when building with Lava I can use a method of area mob spawning prevention, such as IE's Powered Lantern.) On something I really don't enjoy, Trophy Slots. I do get why it's there and I must admit I find it cool, but it's most frustrating.

On your upcoming changes. I added Storage Drawers and JourneyMap myself, as much as I love the Antique Atlas, and I think they're good choices. Before you remove Jabba you may want to consider it's functionality for moving Storage Drawers around as well as the fact that it has variable output strengths on a redstone repeater, which I don't believe Storage Drawers can do. Might be worth thinking about.

On to my confession list. I do tweak whatever I play to my own tastes, but I didn't want to break the spirit of the mod pack, as that was the whole point of playing your pack. I added Tinkers for the sole purpose of using the drawbridges for moving bookcases and walls that I just cannot do with pistons. I added Thermal Dynamics as I like the look of transparent copper piping. Extra Utilities for Edged Stone Bricks and lastly OpenBlocks for the sprinklers, because I like how they look. These aren't suggested mods for inclusion, just my personal taste that I use for building things, without using any of the main features. Especially Tinkers, not that I hate it but it negates almost any other tool. It's nice to use the Manasteel tools, and I'm looking forward to upgrading to Void Tools from Thaumcraft. And I feel that using any of the significant features, such as the Ender Quarry, just wouldn't be right. I removed RotaryCraft strictly due to the fact that I never used it and it created a crippling NEI bug for me, probably because I was toying around so much where my nose didn't belong, and won't effect anyone else.

My only recommendation would be to seriously consider Railcraft and Steve's Carts. Railcraft is a good way to include that steam powered aspect (the steam dynamos make little puffs of steam and animate) and Steve's Carts is a fun way to move items across large distances without boring pipes (and the carts make little chugging smoke effects too!)

All in all I love the pack, for the first time I really feel challenged and every time I venture out I think I'm going to die. It's great. Although I've added a few mods for aesthetic purposes, I've not strayed from the general spirit of the mod pack in how I play. I'm actually using the enchantment table again, for starters. I made a Livingwood bow and I'm actually using it. I can wholeheartedly say I'm enjoying it and can't wait to get further into playing. Well balanced, well rounded and (barring my own personal quirks) there isn't an avenue left uncovered as it's all possible with the selected mods. Thanks and thumbs up!

Last edited:

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Hey There!

I am definitely still alive and working on the pack at the moment. One of the big hold ups has been a combination of real life things that have me somewhat distracted, but also because I've been wanting to make sure that with this release of the modpack I had at least 4 of the chapters of the HQM Book that I'd like to release with this mod

Preview here: http://imgur.com/a/wHnx3

I've still got to get permissions from the Growthcraft Community Edition Folks via a pull request I think and I'm not 100% on the exact mechanics of how to do that, I also need to I believe notify HQM that I'd be making use of their mod in the modpack. And I've got to check some other mods that will be getting added in this version to make sure all the stuff is in order so to speak.

Not negative feedback but mentioning it. I've played a lot of mod packs with the Twilight Forest. I've never really been. I mined there once which is a shame because it's got a lot of content. I see you've mentioned removing it in upcoming changes and I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. I like the little glowing bugs for building but that's about it. As a bit of a DnD fan I like Dungeon Mobs and I don't half mind Dark Menagerie, but SpecialMobs just feels a bit too much. Lycanite's Mobs is brilliant, but as a personal thing and slight bit of feedback, I was forced to alter the config files for a few mobs since some overworld features spawn with fire, above ground. Entire forests can very quickly become ashes and after building most of my house out of wood, I'm just not prepared for that sort of devastation. (I easily fixed this by changing Cinders to spawnin Lava, and when building with Lava I can use a method of area mob spawning prevention, such as IE's Powered Lantern.) On something I really don't enjoy, Trophy Slots. I do get why it's there and I must admit I find it cool, but it's most frustrating.

Yeah Twilight forest was one of those I've been waffling on since pretty much the beginning. Like yourself, I like it in concept and indeed when I decided to pull it I left a note for myself to do this same mod pack over but with dimension mods added as a way to give players a chance to explore it and really have some fun. But... at it's core, I feel a lot of it's progression is somewhat internalized and so you could theoretically play through every other mod and never really touch it, I don't want it to be required per say, but I worry that it feels as if you could play through the game and never actually stumble into it in any meaningful way unless you were looking for it, where as the other "Core" Mods of the Mod pack felt more a part of the world.

That said I personally wouldn't be against people simply adding it, the Aether Mod, or the OUterworlds I think it is (the one in the swamp) purely for having places to go and explore. For the core modpack and my goals right now it's a bit too heavy and demanding resource wise (Extra Dimension on Servers, metric tons of textures / etc. that may never see the light of day) So It got the bot

Lycanite's mobs is the one I've probably been paying the closest attention to on the alpha stages, that's probably why you are seeing it's mobs as the first to get the nerf hammer. When actually installing it I was incredibly worried about the prospect of it's mobs becoming overwhelming so in a lot of ways it's the mod with the most attention devoted to it. As I smooth into the beta process and finally get myself settled on the exact mods I am going to feel happy and unhappy with you'll probably see Special Mobs, Dark Menagerie, and the others getting more careful scrutiny of what they allow to spawn (for instance I think.... hungry SPiders crash things).

On your upcoming changes. I added Storage Drawers and JourneyMap myself, as much as I love the Antique Atlas, and I think they're good choices. Before you remove Jabba you may want to consider it's functionality for moving Storage Drawers around as well as the fact that it has variable output strengths on a redstone repeater, which I don't believe Storage Drawers can do. Might be worth thinking about.
The JABBA Dolly was actually one of the primary reasons I held on to JABBA so long, and then I found out storage drawers has packing tape stuffed away. I'm going to give it a dry run in 0.1.7 with just Storage Drawers and get some feed back from some of the Beta Players just to get kind of a comparison. At the end of the day I wanted to try to limit multiple mods that do the exact same thing and this one ended up simply being a matter of preference over Iron Chest / JABBA.

On to my confession list. I do tweak whatever I play to my own tastes, but I didn't want to break the spirit of the mod pack, as that was the whole point of playing your pack. I added Tinkers for the sole purpose of using the drawbridges for moving bookcases and walls that I just cannot do with pistons. I added Thermal Dynamics as I like the look of transparent copper piping. Extra Utilities for Edged Stone Bricks and lastly OpenBlocks for the sprinklers, because I like how they look. These aren't suggested mods for inclusion, just my personal taste that I use for building things, without using any of the main features. Especially Tinkers, not that I hate it but it negates almost any other tool. It's nice to use the Manasteel tools, and I'm looking forward to upgrading to Void Tools from Thaumcraft. And I feel that using any of the significant features, such as the Ender Quarry, just wouldn't be right. I removed RotaryCraft strictly due to the fact that I never used it and it created a crippling NEI bug for me, probably because I was toying around so much where my nose didn't belong, and won't effect anyone else.

Definitely understand that, I'm hoping the HQM booklet really gives folks some insight onto a lot of the blocks that even I didn't realize were laying around in some of the mods just tucked away that have this wonderful functionality but if you're not looking you'd probably never see it. So a lot of the HQM book focuses on really fleshing out the Mods that are in the pack so you know what it is they do. I'm actually kind of curious what rotarycraft broke, but that's mostly because Rotarycraft and Thaumcraft are probably 2 of the only mods that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole, mostly because their mod authors have done a TON of work to balance it within the mod itself, and any tweaks I made really wouldn't make sense in the scheme of things.

My only recommendation would be to seriously consider Railcraft and Steve's Carts. Railcraft is a good way to include that steam powered aspect (the steam dynamos make little puffs of steam and animate) and Steve's Carts is a fun way to move items across large distances without boring pipes (and the carts make little chugging smoke effects too!)
I'll definitely give Railcraft a look over. I think one of my primary fears was in my head I already had 3 fairly comprehensive tech mods (Pneumaticraft / Rotarycraft / Immersive Engineering). With the removal of Pneumaticraft I may give Railcraft another once over just to make sure that it feels different enough and diverse enough to really fit the theme. My only initial worry just skimming it would be a lot of overlap with Immersive Engineering, but once I've got version 0.1.7 out there and had a few days of testing I think I may yet just add Railcraft and see what all it does!

All in all I love the pack, for the first time I really feel challenged and every time I venture out I think I'm going to die. It's great. Although I've added a few mods for aesthetic purposes, I've not strayed from the general spirit of the mod pack in how I play. I'm actually using the enchantment table again, for starters. I made a Livingwood bow and I'm actually using it. I can wholeheartedly say I'm enjoying it and can't wait to get further into playing. Well balanced, well rounded and (barring my own personal quirks) there isn't an avenue left uncovered as it's all possible with the selected mods. Thanks and thumbs up!
I am absolutely pleased to hear that you are enjoying it. I went ahead and updated the current planned changes with what's live on my copy here that's being prepared for released. My plan is that once I have HQM Wrapped up and my permissions sorted I'm going to go forward with actually trying to get 0.1.7 and start work on 0.1.8. I've made some changes for chickens, and a few for cinders not quite moving their spawn location but I do agree that more then one of them can be problematic.

I'll try to keep you all posted as we move forward!

Alcanarias

Jul 29, 2019
You had me at HQM, and I'm loving your naming conventions for quests. I can hardly wait. I understand your concerns on the demand on resources completely. I play Infinity with a friend and the loading times are just five times the length of TTW, needlessly so. And yeah I always felt that with Twilight Forest, to enjoy it you almost had to throw all your gear in a bin just to go through it properly. I had no idea you could tape drawers up, that sounds interesting, and a good way to move loads at a time. I also think the redstone emission thing is in the pipeline. If I'm being honest, there is a lot of overlap with IE and Railcraft in terms of coke cooking and creosote oil, to the point where they are almost identical, with IE being more efficient. Aside from Steam Power, there really isn't much to gain from the mod in hindsight. But where Steam into RF is concerned, you can't go wrong.

You're absolutely right about hidden functionality. I was trying to figure out a way to grind flying mobs (such as blazes) without a grinding machine, then I discovered I could use Arcane Levitators to force them down into water or liquid death. Or even right into an IE crusher where they are ground into tiny pieces, their remains spat out onto conveyor belts. It's nice to try new things.

I have a crash report for the RotaryCraft problem, unfortunately I don't speak the language - but I sort of figured out the problem based on an NEI crash interaction between Pneumaticraft and RotaryCraft, which was talked about in the link below. And it was down to my sticking my nose in. Buildcraft don't play nice, it seems, due to the lubricant and oil fluid registry (maybe.) I had used the Builder to recreate the first part of my house from an old world, and that worked just fine, I hadn't bothered to take it out afterwards. Once I uninstalled BC safely, I reactivated RotaryCraft and NEI worked perfectly. I've tried breaking it in other ways. So far so good.
https://github.com/MineMaarten/PneumaticCraft/issues/675
http://pastebin.com/1n55Bwb8 - my crash

Also I made a massive mistake. It seems that Cinders, Afrits and other Lycanite Mobs have their own special fire that doesn't burn things. It must have been normal fire spreading from the lava of a volcano, but I did panic a bit given that I had a stone sword at the time. I tested it at first in the forest outside and then again inside my house. I died to fire but it's perfectly safe. Even when the ceiling catches fire, no blocks are destroyed. Now I've got a few more Difficult Life heart canisters, I don't burn quite so easily either.
Chicken's reminded that sometimes they lay eggs
:)

Reactions: Khenny

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
2 mod ideas- progressive automation and flaxbeard's steam power. If you want steam, FSP is obviously purely around that and isn't a mainstream tech mod. As for PA, its basically MFR for the simpler people who don't want the overwhelming of all the machines and pipes and stuff. Side question, is there any sorting system here? I know TC golems kinda do that, and botania also has its way of doing that, just wondering if there is a way that's a bit more early game.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
So I recently started playing and don't really have any complaints other than the rocket creeper and the festive creeper. The rocket creeper will run at you extremely quickly, fly into the air, then crash down and explode. There is pretty much no way to kill them using melee weapons. Festive creepers throw TNT that can not be stopped from detonating at all. I used to play Blast Off, another modpack which also had them. They would pretty much instantly destroy everything and had no way to defeat other than from long range.

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
2 mod ideas- progressive automation and flaxbeard's steam power. If you want steam, FSP is obviously purely around that and isn't a mainstream tech mod. As for PA, its basically MFR for the simpler people who don't want the overwhelming of all the machines and pipes and stuff. Side question, is there any sorting system here? I know TC golems kinda do that, and botania also has its way of doing that, just wondering if there is a way that's a bit more early game.
Looking at Progressive Automation, it doesn't really fit thematically with the other mods, in fact the last thing I want is MFR. In terms of theme, farming things should not be as simple as putting down a block. Just looking at the concept of the mod I don't think it really fits. I can install it and see what it's like on my test pack. I'll let you know. As for a sorting System try the Storage Drawer Controller.

I actually did take a look at Flaxbeards, and I think it was actually in one of the versions, but at the end of the day there was a bit too much overlap between it, IE and Rotarycraft. It added at best the fancy little suit, but really the mod seemed a bit lacking compared to say things like Mariculture and the rest.

So I recently started playing and don't really have any complaints other than the rocket creeper and the festive creeper. The rocket creeper will run at you extremely quickly, fly into the air, then crash down and explode. There is pretty much no way to kill them using melee weapons. Festive creepers throw TNT that can not be stopped from detonating at all. I used to play Blast Off, another modpack which also had them. They would pretty much instantly destroy everything and had no way to defeat other than from long range.
I'll take a look at the spawn rates, I doubt they've been altered, but they should be pretty inherently low though.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
Day 1: Oh I spawned next to a village! This will be wonderful. I can make this my base an- OH GOD! AFRITS! WITCHES! WHY DID THEY BUILD A VILLAGE AROUND A CULT OF WITCHES?
Day 2: Most guards are dead. I am starting to build a base within a fort I found in the village.
Day 3: All guards are dead. Hungry zombies rampaged through the village and killed most villagers. We are now down to 2 villagers, 1 nice witch, and some travelers. Maybe I can fix this place up
Day 3: WHY DOES MOTHER NATURE HATE ME! I am hiding in my mine. Hopefully the villager will still be there. Hopefully.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
I'll take a look at the spawn rates, I doubt they've been altered, but they should be pretty inherently low though.
The problem isn't how often they spawn. The problem is when they finally do spawn.
http://imgur.com/a/o9par
These 3 pictures are parts of my base after a festive creeper. It climbed onto the roof of a building, threw TNT at me twice destroying the top of one of the towers and the furnaces I had, after I respawned I started killing it with my laser. It used TNT again damaging the front of my base. Then it went into one of the houses, I shot at it through a hole, it threw TNT and blew up the house.

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
The problem isn't how often they spawn. The problem is when they finally do spawn.
http://imgur.com/a/o9par
These 3 pictures are parts of my base after a festive creeper. It climbed onto the roof of a building, threw TNT at me twice destroying the top of one of the towers and the furnaces I had, after I respawned I started killing it with my laser. It used TNT again damaging the front of my base. Then it went into one of the houses, I shot at it through a hole, it threw TNT and blew up the house.

I understand the frustration, especially with the destruction, and if I could find a way to make their TNT less destructive I'd definitely consider it, BUT on the same note I also like how insanely scary it is to see one of those in the distance from your base once you've established yourself. The key concept is that the world fights back, and at least in a playthrough I was doing when kind of tossing ideas together a while ago. It was one of my most memorable moments:

And so it's just kind of stuck with me sense then. That having been said in 0.1.8... which I'm not sure when it will be ready for release (Waiting on the FTB team for 0.1.7 to make it to the launcher atm), I've set their spawn rate to something incredibly small so you should almost never see them. I still like them though.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
I understand the frustration, especially with the destruction, and if I could find a way to make their TNT less destructive I'd definitely consider it, BUT on the same note I also like how insanely scary it is to see one of those in the distance from your base once you've established yourself. The key concept is that the world fights back, and at least in a playthrough I was doing when kind of tossing ideas together a while ago. It was one of my most memorable moments:

And so it's just kind of stuck with me sense then. That having been said in 0.1.8... which I'm not sure when it will be ready for release (Waiting on the FTB team for 0.1.7 to make it to the launcher atm), I've set their spawn rate to something incredibly small so you should almost never see them. I still like them though.
Just kinda hate how they are essentially instantly detonating creepers. Luckily it didn't hurt Verdy (My pet Verdant Maka), and I didn't have Vile or Torch at the time (My two pet afrits)

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
Version 0.1.7 Has Been Released, here is the Full Changelog:

Version 0.1.7 (Pruning Update)
Mods Removed
- Removed Pneumaticraft (This may cause the need for a Map Reset)
- Removed In Game Wiki
- Removed Iron Chest
- Removed JABBA
- Removed Twighlight Forest
- Removed Antique Atlas
Mods Added
- Added Arcane Engineering
- Added Storage Drawers
- Added Journey Map
- Added Growthcraft
- Added Natura
- Added Hardcore Ender Expansion
- Added HQM
- Added Modtweaker2
Mods Updated
- Updated Botania (Was 1.7-228 now r 1.7-235)
- Updated Immersive Engineering (Was 0.60 now 0.61)
Config Updates
- Updated food.zs to remove twighlight forest references
- Fixed a bug that /may/ have been causing Battletower Golems not to drop a heart canister
- Turned Off In Natura Cotton, Barley and Clouds
- Set Recipie Crash for HEE to false
- Turned off Growthcraft Bees / Hid Bee Related Recipies
- Turned off Berry Garden
- Set Candleberrys to be a possible drop from grass
- Removed Rice / Grape Seed Recipie
- Hid Growthcraft Fishtrap and removed it's recipie
- Reduced Dirt Slime Spawn Chance, also buffed the Small and Medium Slimes
- Placed Cap on Gorgomite Spawn at 3 (Was 20)
- Disabled Lycanite Mob Mounting
- Disabled Hungry Spider Spawning from Special mobs until That bug can be isolated (Emergency update was perfromed on test SMP Server )
- Removed Glowstone Dust from Sieve, Removed Redstone -> Glowstone In Botania (You're going to have to go the nether for this one)
- Fixed Server Library bug
- Fixed compatability between Botania and Chisel Ganite / Diorite / Andersite blocks
- Enabled Corpse Decay but only when empty, set for 10 Minutes
- Decreased the chance a blood moon would happen (was 5% now .1% Chance)
- removed apple sapling recipie and hid from NEI
- Updated to add Glowstone to Soul Sand
- Decreased cinder area limit to 1 (Was 3)
- Chicken's reminded that sometimes they lay eggs (Time Delay was 4 now 3)
Questing
- Added 4 New Chapters to the HQM book with 150+ Quest

A few things to note here as I imagine there may be some curiosity about choices on Mod Removal

Pneumaticraft / In Game Wiki was a hard decision because it is still a very popular and very well known tech mod, BUT I ultimately felt that while it was steam related it didn't truthfully fit in with the other two tech mods in terms of look and feel. There ended up being a fair amount of overlap between it and Rotary craft at the end of the day.

Twilight forest - As discussed above, a highly internalized progression that seemed independent of the outside game + the large amount of resources required in relation to other mods

Iron Chest / Jabba - Ultimately I felt that Storage Drawers did the job Better

Antique Atlas - After a LOT of talk with test players Antique Atlas simply didn't feel substantial enough compared to Journey maps and there was nothing that Journey Maps was really doing that one couldn't do on their own. I see Journey Maps as a Quality of Life mod, though I do wish there was a way to disable it's underground rendering by default

The real focus of this update was getting HQM out there, and letting HQM really serve as a guide for the player, for anyone playing I would greatly appreciate any reports where HQM is failing

NOTE: This may require a World Reset for Several Reasons

Massive Changes to the End / Nether / Overworld thanks to Natura / Hardcore Ender Expansion as well as the removal of Oil thanks to the removal of Pneumaticraft. A world reset is STRONGLY suggested. At this time we still technically remain in Alpha however I feel that we are drawing very close to a beta state.

Thank you everyone for your notes and feedback thus far, I want you to know it is incredibly important and considered. Also I am /incredibly/ interested if someone has a server setup or is doing a Let's play I'd love to watch it to get a better feel for how other players experience the mod pack.

NoxVindicta

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering about something. How do you kill energy warriors (Blue ghost thingies). I noticed that the remorbas spawned by my sword could harm it. Other than that I have not seen a way to harm it. Swords don't work, arrows don't work (Atleast those shot by a guard). I have not managed to kill one as my remorbas become distracted with other mobs and despawn quickly.

fullphaser

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering about something. How do you kill energy warriors (Blue ghost thingies). I noticed that the remorbas spawned by my sword could harm it. Other than that I have not seen a way to harm it. Swords don't work, arrows don't work (Atleast those shot by a guard). I have not managed to kill one as my remorbas become distracted with other mobs and despawn quickly.
For those it should just be as simple as having an enchanted weapon. That was my understanding. The Pay off is that they drop a substantial amount of Experience.

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
Do corpses despawn after you die another time? Because i died to a potion spawner underground that did more than my 5 hearts of health, went back down to take it out, it spawned a potion too fast, i went back in creative and there was only one empty corpse.