1.7.10 FTB Pack News

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you expect that? Most pack makers are normal players and don't have any special privilege.
A majority of the pack makers, sure. But I didn't mean most, I meant like Eyamez and Jadedcat, the ones who maintain the FTB official packs (in addition to some third party packs).

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I don't have too many problems and I run AMD hardware. I'll grant that 1.7.10 seems to have problems if you travel faster than chunks can be generated but as linked above there's a mod that helps some people with issues.

Also, the "Unstable" pack pops up a clear warning that using it is at your own risk as most, if not all the mods are experimental. Once I got the current extent of my world generated I stopped having those stuttery slowdowns.
Not complaining about the usability of one pack. I'm talking the whole version. I had slight issues, even with vanilla 1.7.2. It just seems like a step downwards to me. Remove a feature (opengl), that with this hardware, not onboard anything cept sound, framerates, chunk loading, the whole nine yards, took a huge dive in performance. The pack as it is for me? Completely unplayable. I remove Pneumaticraft and botany for world gen and it becomes somewhat playable. and I'm not the only one. I've read alot (ALOT) of complaints all over in regards to 1.7.x. My HW is about 4 years old but still. it's not that ancient. Even if I put everything down so I'm loading like 3 chunks. I still have issues. I can run AAA titles at my native resolution with no issues.

My concern was in MC in general and it's sort of depressing that to play any new packs, 1.7 is all there will be. Until I get a new machine, that's the way it is I guess. Progress! yay.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Complete 1.7.10 Unstable pack lags like hell on me, even on pause, but only first few minutes. After that it runs more or less smoothly.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Yeah, I don't look at sigs much. Just saw santas, and I will try those jvm args. My issue with FTB is you can't set jvm args per instance, but globally. I set them for BNB once and been using same ones for everything. I have to port the FTB instance to multimc to get the ability to change specific instance jvm args. It's a pita and probably should be incorporated somehow into the launcher. *WISH*

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Complete 1.7.10 Unstable pack lags like hell on me, even on pause, but only first few minutes. After that it runs more or less smoothly.

Yeah I got the same thing. I downloaded and tried Unstable for the first time just now and it was lagging like a dog, but after about 10 minutes of gameplay the fps became super smooth, now it's consistently above 50fps (even when exploring and loading new chunks) and it feels like I'm playing vanilla.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That's what the "Unstable pack is for... A test-bed for developers to verify their updates/new mods. I'm more interested in whether we see an update to "Unstable" or not. It's latest version is running on 1.7.10, btw.

Unstable was originally created to test the launchers compatibility with 1.7 mods. I don't think it was ever intended to have any other purpose than that. Most mod devs seem to have a dedicated set of bug testers to do initial testing and then they rely on bug reports from the beta testing. Depending on a pack like unstable isn't necessary and is in fact the least useful of these methods. As it can only tell you how any given mod will preform with this specific set of mods.
In addition as the mod update thread clearly indicates mods update almost every day. Unstable would have to be on version 100+ by now to keep up.
And as it is the Unstable pack once any given mod is deemed stable by the dev it would stop being updated in that pack all together.

In short the Unstable pack is a FTB testing pack that has bin given out as a toy for those who wanted to play with the latest mods.
It is not meant for the developing of mod packs or any other useful purpose.

You should also note that as most of the main mods are nearing stability you can expect updates to drop off until 1.8 mods start getting developed.[DOUBLEPOST=1408776929][/DOUBLEPOST]
A majority of the pack makers, sure. But I didn't mean most, I meant like Eyamez and Jadedcat, the ones who maintain the FTB official packs (in addition to some third party packs).

Even more unlikely then. They aren't foolish enough to even try to build a pack with unstable mods. To much of the configs are apt to change. They would have to redo them with every version. They aren't likely to go out of there way to make more work for themselves. They are more likely to wait until stable and near stable mods are available.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I must say the devs have done a freakin' epic job with the Unstable modpack! I know it's really just an experimental showcase pack with mods thrown together, but the mod choice is impeccable. If Pam's Harvestcraft makes the final cut for the new 1.7 modpacks, I will rejoice because it was a standout mod in Agrarian Skies and it's even better in Unstable without the hunger overhaul. Flaxbeard's Steam Power looks like a mod that'll be right up my alley. It goes without saying that Openblocks, Thermal Expansion, Tinker's Construct and MFR are all awesome mods as well.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I love Unstable. I wish FTB be more willing to have cutting-edge, even if buggy, packs like this in roster.

it can only be that experimental... if they were to immediatly update the pack whenever a mod updates, and the updated mod could cause alot of problems... well, even though Unstable is labeled as in developemt there will still be people who would complain about problems that could cause a crash and such, so even for Unstable it's best to atleast wait a day or 2 after a mod updates before adding it into a pack update, just to be sure that the really big problems are either fixed or found

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
I've found MC 1.7.x to be much laggier than 1.6.x. I might skip the 1.7 generation and wait for 1.8.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Umm I get access early sometimes due to Forgecraft. Eymaz does not.

When either of s do get access whether from FC or friendship or devs that want to let us have a preview, its typically "your use only" so the test crew doesn't get it till its public.

pjfranke

Jul 29, 2019
Umm I get access early sometimes due to Forgecraft. Eymaz does not.

When either of us do get access whether from FC or friendship or devs that want to let us have a preview, its typically "your use only" so the test crew doesn't get it till its public.

Thanks for clarification on my theory. That's a point I hadn't considered; you may be able to add a newly released/updated mod to a pack, but if no one else can test it, the usefulness of that early access is limited to how much time you can devote to it (to the detriment of what else lost that time).

Wow, long sentence there.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I love Unstable. I wish FTB be more willing to have cutting-edge, even if buggy, packs like this in roster.

It's fun using a torch to set fire to flammable gas deposits underground, that's the method I use to determine if a gas is interesting or not.
When it comes to testing stuff like this I'm a bit like Fire Marshall Bill.

Reactions: Zaes

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I've found MC 1.7.x to be much laggier than 1.6.x. I might skip the 1.7 generation and wait for 1.8.
If thats the case you maybe even more disappointed. Vanilla 1.8, even the current pre-release, is as taxing on my system as 1.7.10 is with 100 mods loaded. There's definitely a tiered sweet spot where some systems benefit from the "optimizations" of 1.8 and others do not.

Reactions: Padfoote

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
If thats the case you maybe even more disappointed. Vanilla 1.8, even the current pre-release, is as taxing on my system as 1.7.10 is with 100 mods loaded. There's definitely a tiered sweet spot where some systems benefit from the "optimizations" of 1.8 and others do not.
However, the chunkloading has become smarter in the sense that it will load M chunks in the X and Z direction and N blocks in the Y direction (+ and -). Can't remember which version this will be in though.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It's fun using a torch to set fire to flammable gas deposits underground, that's the method I use to determine if a gas is interesting or not.
When it comes to testing stuff like this I'm a bit like Fire Marshall Bill.

I started an Unstable world Thursday (after returning from a medical exam I'd rather not talk about :eek:).

Imagine my surprise the first time I set a torch in my mine to dig out some coal :D

I was digging down to bedrock using a hammer when I first hit a pocket of gas and had a great time jumping backwards up the steps watching the cloud of fire roiling up the steps after me...

I normally make passages 3x3, but learned to put a row of blocks across every so often to act as breaks to keep the gas from expanding too far.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Bit late to the party, thread had gotten unwatched...
Saying the bigger packs offer more longevity is also a fallacy. If I put BnB and Monster side by side (all mods enabled) then BnB takes an average of 4 times longer to reach endgame. The only reason it is not more popular is because it is (afaik) the most difficult pack currently in the public eye.
BnB has 1/8th the user base of Monster and rising. The only reason its not more popular is because the mobs and such are to hard for casual players.
I am sorry to say, but I think you are judging us all on a rather narrow/biased point of view. Personally it I am simply not interested in the BnB, Magic Farm 2, etc. packs due to its narrow modlist and the fact that if I wanted to play a action/survival game(which I often do), I would do it in something other than the clumpy MC engine. I play MC to build stuff, and as such I want lots of mods to facilitate that. Maybe some of us simply do not want to be gated through stuff through quests or be harassed by mobs when building at night.

And how exactly do you define the "longevity" of a pack as the time it takes to reach "endgame"? Do you intend for people to just stop playing a pack like Monster once then reach this so called "Endgame"? I can see that the purpose of one of your so called "hardcore" packs would be to survive until the endgame, but for me the endgame is just the first threshold to allow me to start building huge and advanced stuff in the large modpacks.

I guess we would be ok as long as we can be assured that creating our own packs is really as simple as clicking somewhere to combine packs or tick mods off somewhere to add them, and then everything then just works with configs etc. And that server owners can easily distribute the packs they have been forced to customize to their players in a simple and easy to understand way for everyone(even the least computer adept player). If not, then there will still be a need for the large modpacks and if FTB chooses to no longer supply them, then I can only see the option for people to go elsewhere.

It is quite clear that you and Jaded are much more interested in making your own more specialized packs (To such a degree that it seems some of the official FTB packs have become quite neglected IMO). But would it not be possible to recruit/hire/whatever someone to continue the tradition of the "large builders paradise" packs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.