[1.7.10] Flux Galaxy - A Space-Based MagiTech Modpack

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, what about mystcraft?

It is really good for servers because you can create separate age for each player so you can easily track who lags the server.
Also void ages are pretty nice for building high tier bases with less lag.
Sorry but I'm not going to add Mystcraft because I think creating worlds is just too OP and will mess up the progression in this pack. You can very easily add it (or any mods) to your instance if you want to.

CzT

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry but I'm not going to add Mystcraft because I think creating worlds is just too OP and will mess up the progression in this pack. You can very easily add it (or any mods) to your instance if you want to.
You also can change the recipes to end game. So after you reach asteroids you unlock the technology to travel other worlds. I think it could fit the theme.

Excaerious

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree with the above, with some hope you maybe reconsider. In the end of the Flux Galaxy 'Tech Tree' we are given means to transdimensionally warp items losslessly. You can already use magic. You can already summon otherworldly beings.

I think it fits right at the end, after everything else. After you have finally done everything, gotten your T5 Rocket etc, you can now use Mystcraft. It's as simple as changing the items necessary to make the Writing Desk and Ink Mixer to something unattainable. If you want to make it even harder, disable Mystcraft villagers effectively making the only way to get all pages the necessity to travel to Mystcraft Dimensions and search for libraries.

I think this can also fit for another mod someone mentioned Compact Machines (which simply gives you he ability to build in an alt dimension which is connected to whatever dimension the block is in), force it to be an endgame thing.

Reactions: CzT

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry but I agree with ChatFawkes, Mystcraft is to much OP to be on the pack at any stage except at end game. At end game, the value of myscraft is null! You should be able to have everything, mystcraft doesnt bring anything except the abilitie to build a base on an age that its more of your liking.

To me, Mystcraft is a mod that only has two purposes: renewable quarry ages( for servers this is awesome), or ultra cheat the game with access to rivers of resources on the first day!

And it totally doesnt fit with the theme. The theme is space travelling. Yes, the pack has magic but dimensions are not a kind of magic!

Excaerious

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry but I agree with ChatFawkes, Mystcraft is to much OP to be on the pack at any stage except at end game. At end game, the value of myscraft is null! You should be able to have everything, mystcraft doesnt bring anything except the abilitie to build a base on an age that its more of your liking.

To me, Mystcraft is a mod that only has two purposes: renewable quarry ages( for servers this is awesome), or ultra cheat the game with access to rivers of resources on the first day!

And it totally doesnt fit with the theme. The theme is space travelling. Yes, the pack has magic but dimensions are not a kind of magic!

I don't know if you guys have played to the end of the newest iteration of Mystcraft but nearly everything that was previously 'OP' is so riddled with decay and effects using it is nearly impossible. You definitely won't have the infrastructure to survive in such ages for any length of time necessary to do anything within a day, especially in Flux Galaxy where progression is already tiered.

It fits perfectly with the theme still. The nether exists. The end exists. The Random things Spectral place exists. Deep Dark exists. All alternative 'dimensions'. Botania features the portal to Alfheim (though you can't actually go through it). Thaumcraft has all the Eldritch stuff. All of the magic mods present include some sort of dimensional mechanics. The ability to hop to a another 'dimension' is typically a magical thing akin to going to another 'plane' such as the 'plane of fire' or something equivalent.

Minecraft is a game such that what one person does may not reflect what the other does. I could further argue the necessity to go to Mystcraft ages and explore them for pages, learn it's systems, and conquer the ability to manifest the 'perfect' dimension for yourself is the perfect endgame activity. Again, you will not be able to make a UU-Mattter age (not that IC2 is in this pack) or Enderium sea, it simply won't be stable - and would it matter for if at endgame you have 'everything'?

It's still ChatFawkes call, but I just wanted to wipe away the notion of Mystcraft being unbalanced and relegated to nothing but a quarry age.

Reactions: CzT

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
Problem with mystcraft, @Excaerious , is that it is dimension hopping which is the main cause of memory leaks in MC. We are already doing enough in this pack due to the teired nature requiring us to use galacticraft. More dimension hopping will make things worse. I am with @ChatFawkes on this Mystcraft has no place in the pack.

You can also still generate a perfectly stable flat age for quarrying with mystcraft. However we have the deepdark as a quarrying age in this pack, which takes a lot of effort to access and has its own nasties to contend with.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Was going to say the same. Seems more it was caused by other player shooting an arrow at a soul

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that each time the user logs in, the server crashes. They assumed the cause was recent gear they had equipped, which seemed plausible if the server crashed on them logging in. Regardless. I appreciate the help.

Update: FTB Crashes gave me the following:
  • Java is being given different memory allocation sizes. This may cause memory issues, if it hasn't already. If you added any -Xmx flags on the "Additional Java Parameters" box in the launcher, remove those and use the "RAM Maximum" slider instead. If the issue persists, remove your _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable and clear Runtime Parameters on the Java control panel.
  • You have a mod attempting to run client code on a server. Report that to the mod author.
  • The crash is being triggered by an entity of type Arrow (class net.minecraft.entity.projectile.EntityArrow) at: -267,14,-33

lumien

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that each time the user logs in, the server crashes. They assumed the cause was recent gear they had equipped, which seemed plausible if the server crashed on them logging in. Regardless. I appreciate the help.

Random Things 2.1.8 was completely broken, update to 2.1.9.

Reactions: Yarma92

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019

The crash will be happening as they are presumbably loading the chunks in which the bugged arrow and soul are happening. As @lumien said, update to 2.1.9 as well @ChatFawkes this is one for you I think :)

Jul 29, 2019
I'm waiting on the user to update and see if that fixed it. I have created an issue on github, and will post both here and there if the mod update resolved the issue.

UPDATE: The issue was resolved by updating to Random Things 2.1.9

Last edited:

HertelD

Jul 29, 2019
it's possible not messing up ore gen with Mystcraft, by rewriting some CoFH world gen config from whitelists to blacklists (for overworld ores, like copper, tin, and such, blacklisting Galacticraft dimensions...), so any number of Mystcraft world can be used as overworld, without making it too OP.
the useful feature of Mystcraft would be the ability of teleporting visited locations easily. but it would reduce the need of making ships and fuel, because once you get to Mars, you could make linking books and forget them.
the Warp book mod with pretty hard recipes could be a solution for teleportation (end-game stuff like the angel rings)

Jul 29, 2019
it's possible not messing up ore gen with Mystcraft, by rewriting some CoFH world gen config from whitelists to blacklists (for overworld ores, like copper, tin, and such, blacklisting Galacticraft dimensions...), so any number of Mystcraft world can be used as overworld, without making it too OP.
the useful feature of Mystcraft would be the ability of teleporting visited locations easily. but it would reduce the need of making ships and fuel, because once you get to Mars, you could make linking books and forget them.
the Warp book mod with pretty hard recipes could be a solution for teleportation (end-game stuff like the angel rings)

This seems like a lot of work for something that helps negate a core mechanic of this pack: creating infrastructure to go to space. If you are so inclined you can use the Mekanism teleporters to "avoid" spaceships, or even install server side mods/pluggins that enable /home or /tp like features. Even then, the TP to GlactiCraft can be tricky because of they way it unloads DIMs, which requires further tweaking on the server side. I've run into this with my servers /home commands, and honestly I enjoy that they don't work. Regardless, Mystcraft isn't something you can drop in this pack, and I'll stick by ChatFawkes on not including it.

HertelD

Jul 29, 2019
do Mek teleporters work cross-dimensionally? that's awesome, one more reason Mystcraft doesn't needed. :D i vote for not including, for the reason you said.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, I would remove the teleporters and add the Sync mod. I'm more a Battlestar Galactica fan. Never was a StarTrek fanboy :p

ChatFawkes

Jul 29, 2019
Alright thanks for all the bug reports, will be fixing a lot those issues in 0.6pre2 (which will also be a snapshot version). Also it would be really nice if people reported everything on GitHub, since it's easier to track on there, but reporting here is fine too.

Regarding Mystcraft: Both those against and for mystcraft have good points. I was not aware how much more balanced it became and I congratulate xcomp for doing a great job on that. However, I will still choose not to include it because I think [in this pack] creating worlds (even at end-game) is a bit ridiculous. Some may argue otherwise, but that's how I feel about Mystcraft for this pack.

I will make a minetweaker script, which will be in a separate folder, that edits the recipes for Mystcraft items/blocks, so that they are only accessible after going to the asteroids and much more expensive. This way for those of you that want to play with it, can still keep it balanced by moving the script to the scripts folder if you have mystcraft installed. Same goes for servers that install it. As long as you have the script server-side, all clients will receive the recipes (the clients just need mystcraft installed)

Regarding Compact Machines: Still haven't launched it in an instance, but I look forward to doing that today. Someone mentioned it having different tiers, which would tie into the space progression well (once I tweak some recipes).[DOUBLEPOST=1414429799][/DOUBLEPOST]
do Mek teleporters work cross-dimensionally? that's awesome, one more reason Mystcraft doesn't needed. :D i vote for not including, for the reason you said.
Yes they do.