[1.7.10] Engineer's Toolbox - Now with programmable sockets!

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Engineer's Toolbox 1.1.6.0 (as well as Emasher Resource 1.2.1.6 and GasCraft 2.0.3.0) is now out.

Some key changes:

Native EU and MJ support in sockets has been removed.
Sockets now work with Redstone Flux instead.
Fluid pipes and flux pipes have been added.
Adapters to go between EU and RF, and MJ and RF have been added.
Tinkerer's Construct Nether ores now work with the ore processing system.
Universal Extractors have been added which pull fluid out of adjacent tanks when given a redstone signal and insert it into other adjacent fluid tanks or pipes.
Sweet Redstone Ingots have been added (combine sugar and redstone in the multi-smelter).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Engineer's Toolbox 1.1.6.0 (as well as Emasher Resource 1.2.1.6 and GasCraft 2.0.3.0) is now out.

Some key changes:

Native EU and MJ support in sockets has been removed.
Sockets now work with Redstone Flux instead.
Fluid pipes and flux pipes have been added.
Adapters to go between EU and RF, and MJ and RF have been added.
Tinkerer's Construct Nether ores now work with the ore processing system.
Universal Extractors have been added which pull fluid out of adjacent tanks when given a redstone signal and insert it into other adjacent fluid tanks or pipes.
Sweet Redstone Ingots have been added (combine sugar and redstone in the multi-smelter).
Did the CoFH crew release the RF API already?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Looking once again on this mod, I can say that it's a LOT more awesome than the last time I visited. I hope that you end up in some FTB packs soon so that I can enjoy your mod in multiplayer as well as single player.

A bit harsh, don't you think?
A lot of mods have bad textures but made it into FTB (i'm looking at you, gregtech and xycraft)

Actually, I was being sincere. It really is tough to be bad at texturing when people are comparing your art to mods like xycraft with amazing art.

Nick Dellhall

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Emasher, I really like your mod. However, its a little difficult to understand how the interactions between the faces of module interact and the remote isn't entirely intuitive to use (I read your wiki and is still a bit confused). For example, if I have use your energy storage to convert EU to MJ, is it possible for me control output by a redstone signal from one of the socket faces?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Just use the remote to configure the energy output module to use a specific redstone channel (red indicator) and configure a redstone input module to use the same channel. Then energy will only be output from the energy output module when the redstone input module is receiving a redstone signal.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, actually, hang on, I miss read what you were asking, sockets no longer can use EU or MJ directly, only RF (the wiki is a bit out of date). You now need to use EU and MJ adapters to convert to and from RF if you want to interface with a socket. You can simply put an MJ adapter next to an EU adapter to convert between the two, but if you want redstone control you'll need to put a socket between the two and do what I said in my last post.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Emasher can you post some examples for an automated husher? im fairly confused with how to automate

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Not_Steve, I'll do a LP using one this weekend. I already got hydrogen production and burning set up on camera.[DOUBLEPOST=1384550547][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, actually, hang on, I miss read what you were asking, sockets no longer can use EU or MJ directly, only RF (the wiki is a bit out of date). You now need to use EU and MJ adapters to convert to and from RF if you want to interface with a socket. You can simply put an MJ adapter next to an EU adapter to convert between the two, but if you want redstone control you'll need to put a socket between the two and do what I said in my last post.

On this subject, can the converter blocks go both to and from RF, or only from RF to the destination power source? For example, could I use a Mariculture engine facing one of your transfer blocks connected to a conduit to power other machines in the RF network? Could I have an IC2 nuclear reactor feeding RF energy?

Or are the blocks deliberately "RF -> *" only so as to prevent power cycles and potentially infinite power exploits?

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding power conversion, they go both ways. King Lemming was very careful when he specified RF to pick a unit size that could convert easily to both MJ and EU. RF to MJ is 10:1 and RF to EU is 4:1. Both can be done exclusively with integer arithmetic, so power loops shouldn't be an issue. His exact words were:

It's 10:1 with MJ, basically 10 RF per MJ so that I can use integer math on the conversion and have some sort of sub-MJ level energy scaling. This also means it's 4:1 with EU - keeping the integer math once again.

This is why there's no conversion ratios in the config anymore (although, you'll still see the field if you have a config that was originally generated before ET 1.1.6.0).

That all said, for obvious reasons, I still don't know exactly how TE conduits will behave, so I may have to make a few tweaks to the adapters once TE comes out in the even that there are issues. They should work fine with my own Flux Pipes.

Emasher can you post some examples for an automated husher? im fairly confused with how to automate

I don't think screenshots will help out much, but I'll try to explain it as best as I can in words. I'm going to assume you already understand how sockets work in general, and you're using slickwater rather than water.

You'll need a few different sockets doing different things. First of all, the one with the husher itself. It should have the husher module installed on the bottom and on the rest of the faces, you will need a range selector module, a pressurizer module, a fluid input module, an energy input module (or an energy storage upgrade set to input mode using the remote's "white" generic mode), and a machine output module. The fluid input module should be configured to use the same internal tank as the husher. The machine output module should be configured to use an inventory (any one will do really). Finally, the range selector specifies the 'radius' (it operates in a square) of the husher's operation. You use the remote's generic mode to change the range, the setting at the top of the indicator is 1x1 and it increases by one each time. If you don't have a range selector installed, the husher defaults to 3x3. Now, the pressurizer and the energy input module aren't strictly necessary when using slickwater, but they are if you want the husher to be able to mine obsidian or anything under it. Without a pressurizer installed, the husher doesn't actually require any energy to operate, but if it's installed it does require energy for every operation, even if it isn't necessary to mine the block. Because of this, you may want to add the pressurizer later on to clean up any obsidian in the bottom of the hole. Take a look at the wiki for more information on which fluids can mine what and when the pressurizer and energy is really needed. You're going to want slickwater flowing into the fluid input module and the items being mined coming out of the machine output module. Unless you have some other source of sand, mixed dirt, mixed sand, or ground limestone to make slickwater, you're probably going to want to direct at least some of the cobblestone you mine towards a grinder (I'm going to assume you already know how to set one up) and send the resulting sand towards a mixer with an infinite water source (take a look at water intake modules) hooked up to it (again, since the mixer is just a standard ET machine, I'm going to assume you already know how to set one up). The slickwater of course should be directed back to the husher. That should hopefully explain everything. The only thing you really need another mod for at this point is handling the items that come out of the husher. BuildCraft, AE, and Extra Utilities are all good options there.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, I was having trouble connecting the Tubes mod tubes to your item inputs (and your output did not push to them, but extractors work). I honestly dunno who's bug this is to report with and I know you, so I thought I'd start here. The tubes appear to connect, but objects are rejected. Both EngT and Tubes are sufficiently complex that it's tough to tell where the trouble is...

Any idea what's up with that?

Nick Dellhall

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply, I think I'm still using a slightly older version so the MJ/EU conversion is still working for me. But I think I get the concept now, it's just a little difficult at the beginning to figure out whether I can do ALL of it on a single socket.

KirinDave: would be awesome if you can get a video up, I have only seen a handful of LP's featuring this mod. I think Corjaantje's done a couple of videos that were useful.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, I was having trouble connecting the Tubes mod tubes to your item inputs (and your output did not push to them, but extractors work). I honestly dunno who's bug this is to report with and I know you, so I thought I'd start here. The tubes appear to connect, but objects are rejected. Both EngT and Tubes are sufficiently complex that it's tough to tell where the trouble is...

Any idea what's up with that?

Sockets implement ISpecialInventory from the BuildCraft API rather than ISidedInvntory from vanilla Minecraft. A lot of mods don't support it these days unfortunately, but it's absolutely necessary for certain modules to function properly. If Tubes can't insert items into sockets, that would most likely be the reason. As for outputs not inserting items into tubes, the Item Output Module can insert items into BuildCraft pipes, IInventory, ISidedInventory, and ISpecialInventory. Anything else isn't going to work. I don't know what tubes uses.

Now, to solve this problem, I'm planning on trying to implement ISidedInventory on top of ISpecialInventory and have a special module (which will probably be called the "Neutral Inventory Accessor Module") that the socket's TileEntity is hard coded to allow ISided access to sides that have it installed on.

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I'm still using a slightly older version so the MJ/EU conversion is still working for me. But I think I get the concept now, it's just a little difficult at the beginning to figure out whether I can do ALL of it on a single socket.

KirinDave: would be awesome if you can get a video up, I have only seen a handful of LP's featuring this mod. I think Corjaantje's done a couple of videos that were useful.

It's not possible to to control energy input and output from sockets using redstone in pre-RF versions of Engineer's Toolbox for Minecraft 1.6.X.

Nick Dellhall

Jul 29, 2019
Dave does an awesome job covering some of the basics of using sockets in this youtube video.

It's not possible to to control energy input and output from sockets using redstone in pre-RF versions of Engineer's Toolbox for Minecraft 1.6.X.

Thanks, I'll update soon and try it out.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
ISidedInventory.png

And success. Tubes from the Tubes mod are now able to directly insert into item input modules (no new modules necessary).

Edit: Extraction from item output modules works as well.

This means sockets should now work better with a number of other mods like Applied Energistics, Translocators, etc.

Last edited:

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I should mention that I released another update to ET (1.1.6.4) and ER (1.2.1.7) which fully fixes the ISidedInventory issue as well as adds an option to configure the maximum water depth algae can grow in.

Reactions: PierceSG

mrgreaper

Jul 29, 2019
this looks awesome, can it be used with applied energetics? (forever looking at holes in the wall caused by those ae cables lol

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
this looks awesome, can it be used with applied energetics? (forever looking at holes in the wall caused by those ae cables lol

Sockets now implement ISidedInventory, so they should work with anything that works with vanilla inventories.