[1.7.10] Engineer's Toolbox - Now with programmable sockets!

Draakon

Jul 29, 2019
No idea. I would guess it's either an ID conflict, or Mekanism is doing some sort of substitution using the ore dictionary.

No, no conflicts. They get changed to the other dust while in my inventory. Both (yours and Mekanism) have completely different IDs.

It could be Gregtech if you have that installed.

Yes, I do have it installed, but I though that if you have Unification Targets all put false, it wouldn't do such thing?

I am running on 1.6.4 version of MC by the way.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used Gregtech since Minecraft 1.4.7, that was the case back then, but it's entirely possible it's changed now. Does the same thing happen if Gregtech isn't installed? What if only my mods and Mekanism are installed? Also, are Dirty Iron Dust, and Impure Iron Dust equivalent in the Ore Dictionary? All that said, I don't officially support Gregtech. It does way too much tinkering with other mods for that to be reasonable. If it's not reproducible without Gregtech installed, I don't consider it a bug (unless it's caused by an interaction that could happen with other mods).

Draakon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it was GregTech that caused these troubles. I thought I had the thing disabled. I guess not. Sorry for bothering. Whats confusing me though is that GregTech was not changing dusts/ores/ingots to its own mod variant, but instead of something else.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it was GregTech that caused these troubles. I thought I had the thing disabled. I guess not. Sorry for bothering. Whats confusing me though is that GregTech was not changing dusts/ores/ingots to its own mod variant, but instead of something else.

I always thought it changed them into whatever the first one it encountered in the OreDictionary was?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Emasher, I just wanted to say something. In my opinion, your mod is and should be the technical mod star of the RR pack, and anyone who doesn't get it in their pack is just being crazy.

We got all your latest work going in the beta drops of Resonant Rise, and quite frankly you're the best undiscovered mod out there. The only thing that stops you from competing directly with MFR is your lack of in-mod, compatible power and fluid transport (you could argue item transport would be nice too). Your power gen is fun and unique. Your new auto-mining Husher module is something I thought was impossible: a novel quarry-like mechanic. Your machines work well and have lots of useful functions.

The coolest part of it is that instead of setting up a quarry that needs a ton of fuel, I can opt to set up a slower self-powering system OR bring in outside power and fuel. This is a pretty much unprecedented change to the design space, where automining was traditionally "throw power at a problem, make it go away" sort of engineering task.

The only thing I could possibly offer is that I wish your machines let me buffer hydrogen and shale gas (the generator still fires if the internal capacitor is full instead of just leaving gas in the tank), but I can see why you might have chosen to do it that way because of how easy it is to renew hydrogen. And also, please please update your documentation for your new gases. For example, neurotoxin is undocumented (most gases are). Most people do not know how awesome your mod is only because your wiki is a bit out of date.

Thank you so much for your hard work on these mods. They've improved dramatically, work well, and are very engaging and rewarding.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
And after sufficiently buttering you up with praise, I have 3 bug reports.

1. I do not think you fixed the centrifuge dupe bug. When I run any sort of impure dust through a centrifuge it results in an unending and potentially world-breaking spew of the appropriate pure dusts. It's enough to fill an IronChests crystal chest in under a minute, so the centrifuging operation seems quite profitable! :D

2. Sometimes when placing a chest next to a machine output, the chest enters into a state where it cannot be opened and items do not seem to leave the machine but instead vanish. Replacing the chest doesn't help, nor does replacing the module always fix it. However it's interesting to note that after a few hours in test worlds I've never seen it happen when you put the machine output on the top of a block, only on the bottom.

3. Fun with hydrogen explosions leaves craters that are sticky. Players cannot leave them (entities seem to avoid them). But only in SSP. In SMP there is no weird singularity.

Reactions: PierceSG

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks.

As far as the gas generator (and probably the gas turbine since they use mostly the same code) wasting fuel, I think I know what's going on there. I sort of rushed out the updates and I ended up programming the generators to fire when there is space for any energy, and then stop when the capacitor is full, discarding any gas that was currently being burned, which is a maximum of 1000 mB. I was assuming the energy produced by them would either be used right away, or sent to some sort of energy storage block with a higher capacity. Soon after releasing the update however, I realized how problematic this was, but I haven't had time to correct it yet.

The wiki is definitely getting out of date at this point when it comes to newer features. In-fact, I don't think I've updated it properly since before GasCraft 2.0.0.0 came out. Part of that is because of the in-game documentation I've added, but I'll definitely be updating the wiki again once I get a chance.

As for the bugs, I'll need to know the exact setup of the socket containing the centrifuge. For the second one, I'm not sure what's going on with items vanishing, but you shouldn't be able to open vanilla chests when they're directly under a socket since they're solid blocks (I'm not sure about iron chests, or other modded chests). Again, I'd need the exact setup of the socket in order to fix the bug. As for the explosions, that bug has existed for quite some time (I hadn't seen it for a while though, so I thought it had been fixed). I'm almost certain it's client-server desynchronization, but I think it might actually be a vanilla bug, I'll have to look into it further when I get a chance.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

No, thank you.

As far as the gas generator (and probably the gas turbine since they use mostly the same code) wasting fuel, I think I know what's going on there. I sort of rushed out the updates and I ended up programming the generators to fire when there is space for any energy, and then stop when the capacitor is full, discarding any gas that was currently being burned, which is a maximum of 1000 mB. I was assuming the energy produced by them would either be used right away, or sent to some sort of energy storage block with a higher capacity. Soon after releasing the update however, I realized how problematic this was, but I haven't had time to correct it yet.

Well that's exactly how I have it set up. I'm not sure why it keeps firing, but the generator pulses into a full battery and the power is wasted and the gas is discarded.

As for the bugs, I'll need to know the exact setup of the socket containing the centrifuge.

For this, no one on the RR team has found a configuration using the centrifuge that does NOT cause infinite item spills. Perhaps there is a conflict with one of our other mods, but I didn't see obvious console errors. The simplest one I used was (tdnesw order): Inventory interface (green1), blank, blank, machine output (green2), centrifuge, blank. I placed a stack of dusts on the top, and I see the count decrement to 63. The centrifuge cycles ones then piñata time.

For the second one, I'm not sure what's going on with items vanishing, but you shouldn't be able to open vanilla chests when they're directly under a socket since they're solid blocks (I'm not sure about iron chests, or other modded chests). Again, I'd need the exact setup of the socket in order to fix the bug.

I will see if I can make a video of this. It is difficult to reproduce because it is not consistent. Perhaps it's associated with a chunk boundary or cardinal direction.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
It might look full on the indicator, but what the indicator displays is actually rounded. What's happening is it's bouncing rapidly from being completely full and almost completely full, and any fuel that has been given to the generator from the internal tank is discarded when it turns off. I will be fixing this though.

The centrifuge bug is definitely still there though, so I'll try to fix it sometime later this week if I have time.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It might look full on the indicator, but what the indicator displays is actually rounded. What's happening is it's bouncing rapidly from being completely full and almost completely full, and any fuel that has been given to the generator from the internal tank is discarded when it turns off. I will be fixing this though.

The centrifuge bug is definitely still there though, so I'll try to fix it sometime later this week if I have time.

Fantastic.

I'm devoting some time later this week to spotlight your mod. Now that the app I've been working on is through the launch gauntlet I have a wee bit more free time (we were on USA Today's finance section today! Another wave of users!)

Reactions: Pokefenn

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic.

I'm devoting some time later this week to spotlight your mod. Now that the app I've been working on is through the launch gauntlet I have a wee bit more free time (we were on USA Today's finance section today! Another wave of users!)
That's incredible! And I thank you and ShneekeyTheLost for using these awesome mods in your modpacks. GasCraft and Defense have quite some original stuff, and Engineer's Toolbox is just downright brilliant. Also, could you give us the link?

lokalike

Jul 29, 2019
What KirinDave said a few post ago on his #2 is almost accurate.

After some further testing, I found that if I place a modular socket somewhere in the world, and then wrench it, the block space were that socket used to be get "corrupted" and starts messing with other blocks placed there afterwards. If the block placed has a gui, it will instantly exit the gui when you try to access it. The issue is gone after a server restart, but might be the cause of the server shutting down in the first place.

If the explanation is unclear, I can try get it better! :p

/Lokalike

Reactions: KirinDave

jasondm

Jul 29, 2019
What KirinDave said a few post ago on his #2 is almost accurate.

After some further testing, I found that if I place a modular socket somewhere in the world, and then wrench it, the block space were that socket used to be get "corrupted" and starts messing with other blocks placed there afterwards. If the block placed has a gui, it will instantly exit the gui when you try to access it. The issue is gone after a server restart, but might be the cause of the server shutting down in the first place.

If the explanation is unclear, I can try get it better! :p

/Lokalike

I get this mixed with the problem of not being able to open a chest attached to a modular socket. For example, using the husher with machine output going straight into any chest: as soon as I place the chest, I'm unable to access it. Breaking it works, but anything I try to put in that space vanishes and I'm unable to place anything else there until I restart the server, placing a gold pipe in between the output and a chest works, but not right after breaking a 'broken' chest, I get an error from buildcraft saying the pipe had an invalid state (-1).

Code:
looking at it from the bottom (where the husher is)
P
LHM
O
P = pressurizer
L = Liquid input
H = Husher
M = MJ Source
O = Machine Output

top is empty

I get the same problem with the regular Item Output module in all cases as well. Also, as mentioned, the items aren't recoverable.

I played around a bit more and found out that I get the same problem when using a multi-input module attached to an inventory (that I thought was auto-ejecting, but wasn't). I broke the socket (in creative) and I guess it never really removed the block, I couldn't place anything in that space, it'd block water, etc... Had to use MCEdit to remove it (restarting didn't fix it). Non-item interaction sockets were removed just fine when broken in creative.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing a bit of bugfixing today.

I believe the issue with chests (and other blocks with tile entities) was caused by a workaround solution I came up with for the phantom socket bug. Esentially, tile entities for sockets were not being removed correctly by default, and the code I wrote to remove them was somehow removing the tile entities of blocks that were placed in the same spot as a socket had been previously. I managed to finally find the source of the phantom socket bug however, and I've fixed it properly now, allowing me to remove the problematic code. I've also fixed bugs with the burner as well as the centrifuge bug. I was working on fixing the bugs with the GasCraft generators, however, I'm now running into some serious problems with eclipse so I don't know if I'll be able to get the fixes out tonight or not. They should however be out fairly soon.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I must be missing something. I'm trying to configure an Energy Output to a specific EU voltage, but they no longer seem to be configurable? There are no indicators, and using the unlock mode does not display any indicators.

*edit*
Just saw the forum post that Energy Output is no longer configurable. Probably shoulda made it into the changelog.

After some testing, looks like the Energy Output dispenses in HV (512eu/tick), needing two transformers to step it down for a BatBox.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I must be missing something. I'm trying to configure an Energy Output to a specific EU voltage, but they no longer seem to be configurable? There are no indicators, and using the unlock mode does not display any indicators.

*edit*
Just saw the forum post that Energy Output is no longer configurable. Probably shoulda made it into the changelog.

After some testing, looks like the Energy Output dispenses in HV (512eu/tick), needing two transformers to step it down for a BatBox.

Changes to the IC^2 power API made controlling the output voltage based on side impossible, so I had to take it out. Once I switch to Redstone Flux and just have an EU converter block it will probably return for the converter block.

i haven't been able to find any emery...

By default it only spawns in biomes with one or more of the Biome Dictionary tags DESERT, HILLS, or MOUNTAIN. You can change this in the config, however, the changes will only take effect on new chunks.