[1.7.10] Engineer's Toolbox - Now with programmable sockets!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
That would require too many changes to the mod's internal structure. I think it still may be possible to do it the way I originally wanted to do it, it just might cause tick lag if the structures get too large (It would require doing a tree traversal every tick with certain modules installed). To be perfectly honest, I'm still not entirely convinced more faces sharing the same internal resources would open up that many more possibilities compared to what's avaliable now (as well as the advanced multi I/O module I plan on adding) with a bit of tinkering. Do you have any examples of what you might want to do specifically? One possibility would also be to have alternative tank and inventory indicators that would allow selection of multiple inventories for the advanced multi I/O module.

It's your mod, it's your steerage. :)

I'd love to be able to build a machine shop as least as useful, rich, and interesting as the stuff we build in TE, only with the added layer of a huge number of custom configurations.

I think your core mechanic is awesome. All I care about, really, is that you keep at it. And I just hope you don't end up in VSWE's trap where you have this huge, epic, interesting mod that is ultimately useless because it's 10x harder than every other way to do it and its inherent complexity is not a balancing factor on its costing.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Damn how did I miss this one, looks awesome & has such potential for powerful & compact builds I'll be trying it out very soon tnx for taking the time to post here Emasher, but then again FTB is getting popular aint it :rolleyes:, great work will keep an eye on this & your other work, with better graphics you could easily have a hit on you hands.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I still use SC2 for most stuff. Sue me.
The mod is fairly awesome, I love the idea of "modular" stuff (I am going to make a mod with machines like that one day) and I think that cost is generally not a deciding factor for me. SC2 Mining Carts are cheaper and faster than Railcraft's tunnel bore.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
It's your mod, it's your steerage. :)

I'd love to be able to build a machine shop as least as useful, rich, and interesting as the stuff we build in TE, only with the added layer of a huge number of custom configurations.

I think your core mechanic is awesome. All I care about, really, is that you keep at it. And I just hope you don't end up in VSWE's trap where you have this huge, epic, interesting mod that is ultimately useless because it's 10x harder than every other way to do it and its inherent complexity is not a balancing factor on its costing.

To be honest, I think it's probably possible to do most of the sort of stuff you would need for that with the stuff I have now (aside from the actual machines). But you can be sure that I'll put usefulness ahead of balance.

Damn how did I miss this one, looks awesome & has such potential for powerful & compact builds I'll be trying it out very soon tnx for taking the time to post here Emasher, but then again FTB is getting popular aint it :rolleyes:, great work will keep an eye on this & your other work, with better graphics you could easily have a hit on you hands.

Thanks. Yeah, I really need to do something about the textures soon. I've got some changes I want to make to the way the textures are rendered though, so I want to get that done first.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if this is where you want bug reports, Emasher, but I have one. Looks to be an SMP-SSP bug. Whenever we place a Socket, we get a server-ending crash. Stack trace is:

Code:
2013-07-27 17:43:11 [SEVERE] [Minecraft-Server] Encountered an unexpected exception NoSuchMethodError
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: emasher.sockets.TileSocket.rsIndicatorIndex(I)I
        at emasher.sockets.PacketHandler.SendClientSideState(PacketHandler.java:93)
        at emasher.sockets.PacketHandler.onPacketData(PacketHandler.java:40)
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkRegistry.handlePacket(NetworkRegistry.java:255)
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkRegistry.handleCustomPacket(NetworkRegistry.java:245)
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.handlePacket250Packet(FMLNetworkHandler.java:84)
        at net.minecraft.network.NetServerHandler.func_72501_a(NetServerHandler.java:1098)
        at net.minecraft.network.packet.Packet250CustomPayload.func_73279_a(SourceFile:59)
        at net.minecraft.network.TcpConnection.func_74428_b(TcpConnection.java:461)
        at net.minecraft.network.NetServerHandler.func_72570_d(NetServerHandler.java:134)
        at net.minecraft.network.NetworkListenThread.func_71747_b(NetworkListenThread.java:53)
        at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServerListenThread.func_71747_b(SourceFile:30)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:677)
        at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:275)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:573)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:470)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:573)

Running your most recent 1.5.2 version.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I've found the source of the bug. Basically there were a few methods that were given an "@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)" annotation that were called by the server.

I'm about halfway through creating some slightly better textures for the mod, I'll release a new version with the new textures, and a fix for that bug once I'm done.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I've found the source of the bug. Basically there were a few methods that were given an "@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)" annotation that were called by the server.

I'm about halfway through creating some slightly better textures for the mod, I'll release a new version with the new textures, and a fix for that bug once I'm done.

Awesome! Not the same mod, but RR Test Server 1 has discovered deflectors and we're all loving them.

And also I think Poppycocks has some costing/recipe feedback if you wanna ping him.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
New textures (will be in version 1.5.8, which should be out minutes after I post this):

allModules.png

I've also fixed a bug that causes dedicated servers to crash when sockets are placed.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! Not the same mod, but RR Test Server 1 has discovered deflectors and we're all loving them.

And also I think Poppycocks has some costing/recipe feedback if you wanna ping him.

I should probably mention that deflectors can cause tick lag if you have a lot of them set up.

I'm certainly open to suggestions regarding that sort of thing. My inbox is always open.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I should probably mention that deflectors can cause tick lag if you have a lot of them set up.

I'm certainly open to suggestions regarding that sort of thing. My inbox is always open.

My thoughts is that you should double the yield of most recipes. They seem very expensive for what they do, given the total cost of ownership. Compactness is a feature, but until the sockets can do some unusual and stellar things, it might make sense to turn down the cost.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning on making sockets themselves cheaper; when I update to 1.6.2 and remove the old GasCraft sockets from GasCraft, I'll probably give modular sockets their recipe, and perhaps double the yield. I'm not sure about the modules; I may remove the machine chassis from the blank module recipe and replace it with an iron ingot or something like that. EmasherCore 1.6.2 already doubled the yield of a lot of the components.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning on making sockets themselves cheaper, but I'm not sure about the modules. EmasherCore 1.6.2 already doubled the yield of a lot of the components.

Ah.

Man I wish 1.6.2 wasn't so far out for modpacks, Emasher.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I might just go ahead and re-write GasCraft for 1.5.2 before porting it. I honestly don't see much point in updating my mods until some of the bigger ones (especially BuildCraft) are updated, since nobody's playing modded 1.6.2 at this point anyway.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.5.9 is out. It fixes few bugs with the timer, and similar modules, as well as well as changes the behavior of the "Deadly Flashing Blade" to be more like its new texture.