[1.7.10] Chunk generation lag?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

budge

Jul 29, 2019
That's okay. We'll keep throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Last night I removed Twilight Forest, Ruins, and Battle Towers. Kept Biomes O' Plenty and Roguelike Dungeons. Performance in single player is still an unplayable slide show, but in multiplayer it has improved dramatically. Pauses occur every 30 sec roughly and only skip a beat, as opposed to freezing up for 10-20 sec every 10 blocks.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
It's practically impossible to run a server >10 players without cauldron on 1.7.10. I said it a while back and I will say it again the problem is MC, removing mods which add in world gen will help as it will always help to remove the work MC needs to do.

MC 1.7 chunk genning is fundamentally broken in 1.7.10, even Mojang recognised this and fixed it in 1.8 (although they had a cheek to call it a performance patch).

I've played on servers with and without cauldron, on new maps with and without cauldron in 1.7.10. There are things that help (giant redwoods cause 20-40 second freeze when genning without cauldron) which you can turn off, but it will always boil down to the same thing MC chunk genning is broken in 1.7.10.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
i guess they don't help everyone... ;(
Thanks for the efforts nonetheless.

It's practically impossible to run a server >10 players without cauldron on 1.7.10. I said it a while back and I will say it again the problem is MC, removing mods which add in world gen will help as it will always help to remove the work MC needs to do.

MC 1.7 chunk genning is fundamentally broken in 1.7.10, even Mojang recognised this and fixed it in 1.8 (although they had a cheek to call it a performance patch).

I've played on servers with and without cauldron, on new maps with and without cauldron in 1.7.10. There are things that help (giant redwoods cause 20-40 second freeze when genning without cauldron) which you can turn off, but it will always boil down to the same thing MC chunk genning is broken in 1.7.10.
It begs the question of whether 1.7 is even worth it.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
It's also possible a mod COULD be made to fix it, possibly even within Forge.
I don't know the depth a mod can change the game, if it is possible to change the game chunk loading code then yes it is quite possible. Depending on how long it takes to release 1.8 it may or may not be a good use of time.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know the depth a mod can change the game, if it is possible to change the game chunk loading code then yes it is quite possible. Depending on how long it takes to release 1.8 it may or may not be a good use of time.
I know people have changed stuff as far in as the rendering code.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft has been torn apart and put back together by the community so thoroughly, I have no doubt that a Forge mod could fix it, if someone had the will and the knowledge to do so. Unfortunately, I only have the will. Hopefully with this thread we can get the attention of someone who has the knowledge. :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 is still having content added so there's no real guage for when they'll start wholeheartedly fixing vanilla bugs caused by said content. But there's a LOT of work being done on chunk rendering for 1.8. From one video I watched, there's a change that only renders what you can see as opposed to the entire chunk area. That is HUGE from a system resource perspective.

I hope a fix can be found, but for now I'll stick to using less than 100 mods.

Reactions: Padfoote

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

So I looked into this cualdron thing. Its basicly a minecraft server running forge and bukkit. Installed it on my PC and connect to it with my client. Works great. Never ran a minecraft server before though and I cant seem to get the server to load more chunks for a greater viewing distance. (it happely leaves them loaded when ive been there) Its late and time to sleep now though :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Strangely, I don't think it's to do with the amount of generation. I'm working on a 1.7.10 pack, so constantly have to keep making test worlds. The initial world gen is painful, then I can zoom off creatively and new chunks will load fairly smoothly. Then, suddenly, for no reason, I freeze. My pack includes lots of world gen mods (Better Dungeons, Ruins, Natura, BoP, Highlands and more). Once I get past the freeze, I look around, and there's nothing out of the ordinary that's been generated.

I have noticed back in 1.6 and now in 1.7 that a lot of freezing takes place when magical bees is attempting to spawn hives.

1.7.10 is still worth it due to greater performance once chunks have loaded, just a sod when exploring.

Reactions: unknown zombie

MegaRaja54321

Jul 29, 2019
So i just enterd a new dimension its was aroma's mining world and now i cant load my save :( it keeps crashing

Attachments

• crash-2014-08-11_16.11.32-server.txt
    40.3 KB · Views: 105

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
From the "what's new in modded minecraft today?" thread:
New Mod by Player (Dev on IC2 Team) Fastcraft!

[WIP|1.7.10] FastCraft 1.0
FastCraft is a small mod which improves the client and server performance significantly without any game play changes.

The mod is optional on both server and client. It doesn't allow or require any configuration, just drop it in your mods folder with Minecraft Forge installed. There may be bugs and the code is somewhat experimental, make backups of your world save while using it.

Redistribution is strictly prohibited, no exceptions.

Download: http://files.player.to/fastcraft-1.0.jar

What it does:
Does it fix the gajillion times of redundant Chunkloading due to a Forge Bug?
-> no, this seems to be mostly due to mod bugs btw.
Does it do Multithreading?
-> no
What kind of performance Improvement does it give?
Serverside?
-> yes
ClientSide?
-> yes
TPS?
-> yes
FPS?
-> yes
Bandwidth?
-> no
Leaked Packets?
-> no, those are mod bugs

Most importantly it reduces that awful world gen lag and freezing a lot. With the changes to be expected from 1.8 I won't be doing more than those small - but very effective - changes, targeting bottlenecks identified through proper profiling. I'll possibly add more tweaks if I can get data to justify them.

Link: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=165893#post165893

This helps alot!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So since @Qazplm601 just kinda threw up his args without explaining them, the one that should fix this issue is -Dforge.forceNoStencil=true. The rest don't really do anything towards this problem.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
All of the chunk loading issues aside...
"Yeah man, she'll do 140"

679610666947959108.jpg

KurShedir

Jul 29, 2019
A fast flight in creative mode on a freshly generated world with BoP enable, 66 mods loaded, the forceNoStencil argument, FastCraft and I'm not getting the infamous freezes and console spamming. I'm noticing some exception about falling blocks and some chunks rendering slowly (without freezing) but hey, this seems to be working!