[1.7.10][205 Quests][Listed] BeeHappy - A quest based map about Bees

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, a lot of questions, I like it ^^ tell me if I missed some of them:
  1. Tinkers Tweaks is in the plans, yes! But I'll answer to this issue later! You'll see when you read the answer 8!

João Fernandes

See I'm in the camp that this pack doesn't even need tinker's construct, and feel that tinker's construct is overused in packs. This pack isn't really focused around your tools and weapons etc, and you have some nice choices later on with Botania/Thaumcraft. Just my opinon but your milage may vary. :)

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so I think I got it.

So basically:

1. Create some new species yourself with the mutatron
2. produce drones of the same type
3. Use princesses of the same type you get from rewards only with these drones

That would be the safe way then?

The quest mentioned did not tell me that I had to create those two species before, so I just had the princesses and did not know how to continue.

Couple of issues:
1. If you have enough combs you can buy a lot of bees in the shop that you have not created yourself before. That kind of defeats the purpose somehow. Maybe at least hide some of the advanced ones unless you have bought some others before. Will the chapter be completed if I buy each bee once?
2. Looking after your bees is kind of fun, even if you have to do a lot manually. The mod that shows the content of the apiaries and chests etc is useful here. But there are still times where you have to play the waiting game. Adding the Tinkers Tweaks mod would be a first good thing to have some more motivation to chop wood.
3. I would like to have the possibility to do the Chisel 2 Thingy from the start. I hate it that the special cobble you get is not the one from the starting plaform and after that you just have normal cobble. Maybe I missed something there, but some more options to build fancy without doing it over later would be nice. At least add the starting cobble from the platform to the two quests where you can select between the 3 cobble types.

Not sure about the rain, I guess since it is a saved world, it will always come at the same time around day 2 or 3, if I don't sleep, right?

Some things in the tutorial line are confusing, I will add something about that later- Also forgetting stuff in machines and handing them in is a big game breaker. Had to start over once because of this. :D

I like the whole idea of forcing people to use bees and leaving them most of the time no other choice. But you should come up with some other things for people to do in the meantime.

I watched the first episodes of Delgars series, very nice. In the first episode there was a commenter who had quite a lot of ideas, I liked the one that proposed skipping the skyblock theme and coming up with a modified world without ores. I woudl even go a step further and say create a customed map which restricts everything to an island or something where you can explore and find certain things.

By the way thanks for checking out the series and you will find LOTS of helpful comments from all my lovely subscribers in all of the videos. Clearly they like to help me out, or point out my flaws or both! ;)

The safe way is to breed bees in the mutatron yes, you can do it the vanilla forestry way which is time consuming but still possible. Extra princesses are great, because once you have a bee type that you want more than one of, rather than rebreeding it, you can convert any other princess to that bee type by breeding it with stacked drones. After 3-4 cycles the princess will become the bee type of the drones you are using.

For example if you make a cuprous bee and want more than one copper producing bee, you can take a stack of those cuprous drones and breed them with say a common princess and turn that princess into a cuprous princess.

As for stuff to do at the begining, between chopping wood and tending bees I actually recommend plant breeding as well with agricraft, and I'd get started on it as soon as possible to get a cotton plant to make that first bed to stop that annoying rain!

I'm personally in the camp that this pack can do without Tinker's construct completely, lots of packs use and abuse it, and this pack is about bee breeding! :)

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I thought someone might be amused that I started expanding my platform. That's not the funny part. I stood on a carpenters safe and wondered why my wand wasn't showing lines. Clicked anyway, discovered that the block was actually a safe and fell into the void. I derp'd.

Oh about the chisel. A clever player can make an obsidian chisel before expanding platform with cobble.

Edit: No buildcraft pipes? I guess we need to rely on applied energistics later on, eh?

Another edit: I can't figure out how to use the beegonia.

It's not really a skyblock map until you fall cursing to your death....

No buildcraft you'll have to use Thermal Dynamics/EnderIO/Extra Utilties for all your piping needs.

Reactions: jtmnf

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019
See I'm in the camp that this pack doesn't even need tinker's construct, and feel that tinker's construct is overused in packs. This pack isn't really focused around your tools and weapons etc, and you have some nice choices later on with Botania/Thaumcraft. Just my opinon but your milage may vary. :)
Hm... But for people that want to see some progression, it could be a good mod to add (my opinion)!

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Oh about the chisel. A clever player can make an obsidian chisel before expanding platform with cobble.

I did exactly that, but I think I need a Chisel Chisel and not a TC Chisel.

About TC: I think it is useless, but without Tinkers Tweaks it feels even more useless.

Some other bee question: One quest gave me 4 Princesses (Modest, Tropical, Marshy, Wintry), but I could only get one drone. How do I get the queens then? I was confused here, so I bought each one from the store. (which I do anyway to complete the store questline)
Is there a correct way to proceed if I only have a princess of a certain type?

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019

About TC: I think it is useless, but without Tinkers Tweaks it feels even more useless.

Some other bee question: One quest gave me 4 Princesses (Modest, Tropical, Marshy, Wintry), but I could only get one drone. How do I get the queens then? I was confused here, so I bought each one from the store. (which I do anyway to complete the store questline)

I use those princesses as a base to convert them to princesses of a type I want. The limiting factor of any bee breeding operation is princesses, which is less of an issue with the store questline...

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019

You can check the answers of Delgar3 and Liquid Clone :)
Having people answering by me is amazing, it shows that people like it!
Thank you :)

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
About the Chisel, i think I derped there, I looked about the Chisel in NEI, but missed the obsidian one due to the dark texture.

Some free typos while I am here:

- one quest in chapter 3 is called "produtivity" instead of productivity. The text of the quest contains the same typo.
- Same chapter, quest "climate control", I think it is "apiaries" not "apiarys"
- chapter 4, quest "basic" says "mechines" instead of "machines"

Yeah, I got the Portugese part, I actually read the whole thread. :D

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Dynamics for your piping needs; throw drones on the Beegonias to make mana.
I finally got home to try the beegonia again. Threw the bees on them like I did last time. But it turns out, they actually have to be linked to a mana spreader to work. I just assumed they'd fill their internal inventory and it's fine. Nope. Needs a proper setup.

It's a fun pack. I really like how the bees die for me and it shows how long they've been in captivity. Makes me feel like an overlord of the bees. (In real life, they make me spaz and look like a stupid scardy.)

Reactions: rivvest and jtmnf

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019
About the Chisel, i think I derped there, I looked about the Chisel in NEI, but missed the obsidian one due to the dark texture.

Some free typos while I am here:

- one quest in chapter 3 is called "produtivity" instead of productivity. The text of the quest contains the same typo.
- Same chapter, quest "climate control", I think it is "apiaries" not "apiarys"
- chapter 4, quest "basic" says "mechines" instead of "machines"

Yeah, I got the Portugese part, I actually read the whole thread. :D
I've to correct that :p thanks!

I finally got home to try the beegonia again. Threw the bees on them like I did last time. But it turns out, they actually have to be linked to a mana spreader to work. I just assumed they'd fill their internal inventory and it's fine. Nope. Needs a proper setup.

It's a fun pack. I really like how the bees die for me and it shows how long they've been in captivity. Makes me feel like an overlord of the bees. (In real life, they make me spaz and look like a stupid scardy.)
Thanks :) continue sharing your opinions, ideas and critics, I appreciate them :)

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I am slowly becoming a bee expert or something.

I am messing around with the sampler like crazy, to get better traits. It's a lot of fun.

I hope I get to the diamond bees before I run out of Labware. :D
Of course I could go for the diamond bees directly, but I am sticking to the quest progression.

Currently I got two sets of Demonic bees running. Next goals are Carbon Bees and Redstone Bees.

Just half an hour the first enemy mob spawned somewhere on my platform, I was slightly annoyed. :D
This pack could almost be played in peaceful.

One bee question: As I see it lifespawn upgrades and shorter lifespan only increases the number of times the Queen dies and produces offspring. So if I want to have production bees the lifespan would be irrelevant and also fertility low would be the best? I am starting to get stacks of Copper, Iron, Tin etc drones because they all have fertility 4, but I have no idea what to do with them.

So if I separate between production and "laboratory" bees, first would have long lifespan with low fertility, while the second have the other way round ?

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
One bee question: As I see it lifespawn upgrades and shorter lifespan only increases the number of times the Queen dies and produces offspring. So if I want to have production bees the lifespan would be irrelevant and also fertility low would be the best? I am starting to get stacks of Copper, Iron, Tin etc drones because they all have fertility 4, but I have no idea what to do with them.

So if I separate between production and "laboratory" bees, first would have long lifespan with low fertility, while the second have the other way round ?
You're correct - lifespan only affects how quickly a queen dies (good for your lab/breeding area), and if you don't want extra drones, use fertility 1. Lifespan is irrelevant if you're using automated apiaries. However, once you get into the Botania stuff, those drones are useful! As you may have seen in the other posts, they are used with Beegonias to make Mana. I kept all my bees at fertility 4 and setup a dispenser to spit them at the Beegonias.
If you want to go deeper into Gendustry than the quest book covers, there's also a DNA Extractor that melts down any bees into raw DNA, which you can then re-assemble into a new bee. You can also use them (and all those extra honey combs..) in AE2's Matter Condenser if you want to work towards a Singularity.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
I hope I get to the diamond bees before I run out of Labware. :D
Of course I could go for the diamond bees directly, but I am sticking to the quest progression

Hey mind posting here if you run out of diamonds for genetic labware? I'd like to know if I need to take it easy on that stuff. I too, like to get all the traits and it's easy to burn through that stuff.

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Hey mind posting here if you run out of diamonds for genetic labware? I'd like to know if I need to take it easy on that stuff. I too, like to get all the traits and it's easy to burn through that stuff.

I'd play it safe and go for the easy diamond bee, better to be safe, then run out and have to do breeding the standard way. :)

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I think so far I got 32 diamonds and have 20 left. There is one quest where I could choose between Diamonds, Ender peals and something else and I took the diamonds. Diamonds went into 3-4 templates and about 2 stacks of labware I think. I think I am fine here.

Mostly I tried to get certain species traits from the metal bees and some bees down the demonic line.

jtmnf

Jul 29, 2019
Breeding the Diamond Bees is easy! You can do it """almost""" at the beginning... But, as you continue progressing, you'll find out that I give a lot of diamonds...
The modpack gives you a lot of paths to you to choose, you'll probably get diamonds even if you follow a harder path :)

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I thought I was going to pull my hair out getting skystone bees, but I finally got fluix bee. Good thing too I have full soryan's chests eveeywhere. I need an ME drive. Can't wait to turn in fluix for quest though. I have to make an me controller so I make an inscriber. Now I need to double my fluix so I make a growth accelerator. Now I can make a drive. Oh I have enough fluix to turn in quest now. Oh. I didn't have to do that. Oops. Now I have extra.

Reactions: jtmnf and rivvest