[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4 Addon Cheat Sheet - A Research Compendium for Small Thaumcraft Addons

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
I think its best for you if its possible to wait for 2/3 hours i will have another update out changing a lot of the required aspects and such.
I will pm you the list of aspects so you dont need to start a new world ;)

Reactions: Succubism

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I think its best for you if its possible to wait for 2/3 hours i will have another update out changing a lot of the required aspects and such.
I will pm you the list of aspects so you dont need to start a new world ;)
I'll need to start one anyway because my current lab's to shit and needs to be updated.
However, I'll wait for your next update. Let me know when it's out.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I've just finished the research for the new release of TCE. There's a few things I've noted that still need urgent attention, especially in a modpack environment but I will address them tomorrow given it's 2:34am and I've been busy all day.

Goodnight, all.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Are those verbatim quotes from the Thaumonomicon entries? Cuz those are painful to read and don't explain jack. D:

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Okay here it goes.
  • First and most alarmingly your earth blocks seems to spawn cacti that upon breaking the earth block beneath you can yield both that earth block and the cacti around them. This is a HUGE dupe glitch for cacti that alone would make your mod unusable for modpacks.
  • The textures are better. Still needs a little work, but better.
  • Water block seems pretty cool, actually. Might be a little OP, but still pretty decent, especially for farms.
  • The fire block seems rather redundant and unbalanced when you consider what it can be used for. That and using fire itself yields the same effect with a more cost effective method. That and only colliding with the top of the block yields resource.
  • Light block's a cool idea. I've seen it in Extra Utilities where it's done a little better but still a good idea. Texture glitches occur which have your block blink however.
  • Light Shards are unneeded unless you have more planned for them than a light block. Best just continue to use Order Shards.
  • You REALLY don't need a research block for the sake of an icon. This is a waste of an ID.
  • Still don't see the point of an air block.
  • Pech Trades need to be simpler. Still a very cost innefficient source of currency.
  • Same with Magic Trades
  • It would be unfair of me to say that descriptions are better because they're not. A minimal improvement, I suppose.
  • [TCE] tag is missing
  • Typos and grammar errors still exist.
  • Pech Summoning still unbalanced and unneeded.

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
Going to fix the cacti bug tommorrow.
There more shards coming this was more a preview of them.
Research Block was one of the features most people liked the most its an creative item it gives you all the aspects in the game (might be bugged sometimes)
Air Block is again for a later update.
No clue how i can make the description beter, if you know tell me.
[TCE] Will return removing them was just a little mistake on my side.
I prefer knowing which words (overview on here https://github.com/wasliebob/ThaumcraftExtras/tree/master/assets/thaumcraftextras/lang)
The price is what you need to talk about you cannot make one before you even found a mage pech..

Just so you know you can disable almost all features you like (except a few for special reasons)[DOUBLEPOST=1384785503][/DOUBLEPOST]
Everything you see in the entries are transcribed more-or-less exactly how they appear in the Thaumonomicon.
There no quotes in the entries 0.o

EDIT: Fixed in Thaumcraft Extras v0.3 (19-11-2013 19.40)

Last edited:

Warplord

Jul 29, 2019
The thaumium scoop says it needs magic and instrumentum, I clicked magic and it said it wasn't included. Does someone know what's the other aspect needed for research?

The K

Jul 29, 2019
Mod name: Advanced Thaumaturgy
Author: LycaonX
Version: 0.0.8
Reason: This a WIP mod that currently has an awesome new enchant, a cool focus, and some endgame wands. It also has some really cool plans for the future such as the ability to slightly tweak your jarred nodes' affinities.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I already know about this one. Will be adding it soon.
I'm aware it has an entry, does it have research?

Wasliebob

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, i currently updated my mod a lot from what is descripted here, i would really like to hear what you think of it and what i can improve.

(i just released v0.4)

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
There's some things I need to talk about with you guys. Serious time now. This particular post will exist in both the Addon and the Main Thread.

Let me make something very clear. I like to think of myself as someone who gives people the benefit of the doubt and I'm certainly not the type to just sit and bad mouth someone or what they spend the time to work on. But I'm also honest. Brutally so, and there's something I simply must address because it's effected the guides.

Regarding Thaumcraft Extras, I'm torn, there's a person behind it who clearly sees the mod as something that could go far, however I think he overestimates what he has and who he is because in the grand scheme of things there's nothing in the mod that makes me think of him as a major or even moderate author and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I think what he created had potential and I stand by that and I still think it does, however what exists currently is uninspired and uninteresting.

I read a tweet from Wasliebob with the following:

5IrtU.png

The mere idea that TCE would warrant being in Horizons alone is enough to make me think hard about the relationship between myself and TCE because as someone who admirably asks for recommendations on how he can improve this mod it seems fairly clear that he believes what he has is currently good enough to be among better, more well thought-out mods of the same caliber like Thaumic Tinkerer and that thought worries me.

I have presented on multiple occasions ways in which the quality of the mod could be drastically changed and if I were any kind of capable to write a mod of my own I would put my ideas to pen and paper. I'm not capable though. All I have is ideas and suggestions and to the author's credit he took some of those suggestions and applied them, however it's obvious that he picks and chooses the easiest suggestions and tweaks his mod to follow them. It isn't enough.

I enjoy talking to modders. As someone with a lot of ideas but can't write mods herself, I enjoy giving these suggestions and ideas because at the end of the day I enjoy what comes from them and I enjoy applying them to my little in-game projects and had I thought for a moment that the modder in question would actually take these ideas and suggestions to heart I'd do everything in my power to show off his mod and encourage others to use it. However I cannot in good conscience recommend this mod to anyone for anything other than a good laugh.

It's for this reason I'm removing the TCE post from the front page of the addon thread until a time, if such time occurs, where I can put my hand on my heart and say this mod is worth downloading, installing, researching and applying to your game. As of right now, I can't do that.

I extend my apologies to the creator that this is the case and that I cannot provide him with anymore suggestions or tips. I refuse to hold his hand anymore than I already have done.

Moving on from TCE, I have also removed TheDrunkMafia's Thaumic Infusion research from the addon front page for the simple reason that there isn't any. Since the thread's creation I've not seen update and it's just taking up space for other addons which deserve a place. This is not permanent and will be changed at such a time when ThI is given a stable release.

Finally, ThaumcraftGates and BetterStorage have been added to the front page of the addon thread. Mods with TC integration (Railcraft/BetterStorage) have been given one post to share, as, with the exception of ThaumcraftGates which is a standalone mod, one nomicon entry is simply not enough in the entirety of the respective mod to warrant it's own post.

That's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitefulFox