[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4.0.5b Research Cheat Sheet - 1Mil Views!! - Topic above me is a doodoo head. HA!

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so Waila shows me that a thaumostatic harness has 2 different vis discounts?

It shows it like this:
Thaumostatic Harness
Vis Discount: 2%
Vis Discount (Aer): 5%

Can some1 explain to me how this works?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so Waila shows me that a thaumostatic harness has 2 different vis discounts?

It shows it like this:
Thaumostatic Harness
Vis Discount: 2%
Vis Discount (Aer): 5%

Can some1 explain to me how this works?
It provides a 2% vis discount to every point of vis spent apart from the Aer aspect, which gets a 5% discount when you craft with vis or spell cast.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i read it in sections in stead of one sentence and now it makes more sense

Just like charged silver caps only provide vis discount for the elemental aspects, this only gives a 5% vis discount for Aer, while all others remain @ 2%.

Am i correct in this assumption?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ok i read it in sections in stead of one sentence and now it makes more sense
Just like charged silver caps only provide vis discount for the elemental aspects, this only gives a 5% vis discount for Aer, while all others remain @ 2%.
Am i correct in this assumption?
Example: Crafting something costs 100 of each primal aspect (Aer, Aqua, Ignis, Ordo, Perdito, Terra). With the Thaumostatic Harness on, it costs 95 Aer, 98 Aqua, 98 Ignis, 98 Ordo, 98 Perdito and 98 Terra. In other words, the Aer cost is reduced by 5%, each of the other aspect costs are reduced by 2%.

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
How do you use the aspect you have in the research table for infusion alter recipes?
As @Democretes said, those are seperate. Seems to be a running misconception.
If you don't have access to a alchemical furnace(if so, what is WRONG with you?! Infusion is basically impossible without it), you can use essentia from Crucibles if you are really hard-up on resources.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
There are basically three, different and separated aspect resources: The research points, essentia, and node (a.k.a. wand) vis.

According to the thaumonomnomicon, the last two are the same (though to this day their different descriptions gives me headaches)

Reactions: Succubism and YX33A

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Research points have nothing to do theoretically with essentia or vis, they are accumulated ideas that the player gathers from scanning the respective aspect to apply those ideas to research. They aren't applied to crafting or creation, the only way these two entities coincide with each other is through the use of the deconstruction table.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Research points have nothing to do theoretically with essentia or vis, they are accumulated ideas that the player gathers from scanning the respective aspect to apply those ideas to research. They aren't applied to crafting or creation, the only way these two entities coincide with each other is through the use of the deconstruction table.

But really, the deconstruction table's principle is simply looking at the items and blocks in such detail that they get broken apart as you look at them, as you take them apart to get a better understanding of them.

But anyway Succubism, what was that thing you were hinting at earlier? the thing with the RDJ GIF? Or is it one of those "only time will tell you impatient little shit (namely me)"?

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Does taint spread have to be on in order to see tainted mobs? I don't think I've ever seen one, and I watched some sheep play around waist deep in the stuff for quite a while..

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Want slimes? Make a crucible with 4 blocks around it and drop a stack of cobble into it. Be wary of flux

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Yeah, I've accidentally made slimes before. I meant mobs that become infected from lingering in tainted areas, like pigs, creepers, etc. I've never personally seen it happen.