[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4.0.5b Research Cheat Sheet - 1Mil Views!! - Topic above me is a doodoo head. HA!

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Good to see Chrome, and not see Internet Exploiter. But on Google Docs, "TheDevilWearsWabbit"? What in the world? (And yes, I get the reference.) (ETA: Heading AFK myself now, back later)
Yep that's me~.

Also finishing work for now, may continue later but I gotta go out for a bit.

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Typos: (not many today, and some are borderline cases)
  • Ores: Breaking a crystal cluster causes it to shatter into it’s component crystals.
  • Greatwood trees: (???) Their wood is able to absorb impressive amounts of magic making and it’s a popular component in the crafting of magical devices. (borderline case; technically correct, but likely meant to be "is")
  • Silverwood trees: These trees magical nature (Missing apostrophe, should be trees' for a plural possessive)
  • Wand Foci: combining crystallin vis
  • Crucible: boiling you simply throw away any items (Is that 'away' in the original? The meaning would be clearer without it.)
    • Beyond the wate of resources
  • Table: wooden objects in it’s recipe. (still there, likewise Thaumometer)
  • Enchanted Fabric: Thaumaturgists Robes (inconsistent terminology)
ETA, spotted another one:
  • Aspects of Magic: Aspects describe the object’s makeup and bend towards the magical elements. (should be "bent" -- not a past tense, but a distinct word referring to a tendency or predilection)

Last edited:

Sharkb8oohhaha

Jul 29, 2019
Succubism-I've been playing Magic World 2 on FTB for the last 2 months, and been playing various mods the last two years. I had to sign up on this site just to tell you that this might be the best, most comprehensive guide to any mod out there, it is simply amazing! I have fully researched my Thomonomoicon (including TT, minus 'tiny' stuff) and I couldn't have done it with you and this community. I'm really having a blast with this mod, and you've helped tremendously. Keep it up, and thanks!! :)

Reactions: Succubism

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
You know what, there's a few things I need to get off my chest. Because it's bothering me.

I'm really struggling guys. No. Not with the Cheat Sheet itself, but I'll get to that. I'm struggling to be as enthusiastic as I used to be with this. Ever since the update and a recent "fight" with Azanor it feels as if the enjoyment I've had in this has been drained and I'm running on fumes. I find this a chore now and I have enough going on in my life without another chore to slap on top of it.

Before you ask, I'm not going to disclose what happened with Azanor. All I'll say is it was to do with the new research mechanic and no, I'm not just pissed about how it's impacted the cheat sheet.

While I'm on that subject however, this new mechanic in the mod, it's pretty much killed any need for a cheat sheet. Sure there are some possibilities, but none I feel like really putting any effort into anymore to document here or anywhere really. It feels like I'm just copying what's documented in the Thaumonomicon here for no other reason than "Well I've done it before" and what solution I came up with to remotely give a reason for it's continued existence feels half-arsed and shitty to me with this "Solved / Unsolved" crap. No doubt if that was put up here I'd just be bitched at for inefficiency as if I give a rat's ass.

I'm seriously considering retiring from doing this cheat sheet stuff. So that's a thing.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
You know what, there's a few things I need to get off my chest. Because it's bothering me.

I'm really struggling guys. No. Not with the Cheat Sheet itself, but I'll get to that. I'm struggling to be as enthusiastic as I used to be with this. Ever since the update and a recent "fight" with Azanor it feels as if the enjoyment I've had in this has been drained and I'm running on fumes. I find this a chore now and I have enough going on in my life without another chore to slap on top of it.

Before you ask, I'm not going to disclose what happened with Azanor. All I'll say is it was to do with the new research mechanic and no, I'm not just pissed about how it's impacted the cheat sheet.

While I'm on that subject however, this new mechanic in the mod, it's pretty much killed any need for a cheat sheet. Sure there are some possibilities, but none I feel like really putting any effort into anymore to document here or anywhere really. It feels like I'm just copying what's documented in the Thaumonomicon here for no other reason than "Well I've done it before" and what solution I came up with to remotely give a reason for it's continued existence feels half-arsed and shitty to me with this "Solved / Unsolved" crap. No doubt if that was put up here I'd just be bitched at for inefficiency as if I give a rat's ass.

I'm seriously considering retiring from doing this cheat sheet stuff. So that's a thing.
Sounds like you should stop. This is a community service, and while many people including myself have greatly appreciated what you do, if you don't want to do it any more, just stop and make yourself happier.

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019

This is entirely fair, and it's your call as to what, or whether, you want to contribute here. You're a valued member of the community, but you also need to maintain your own boundaries, and you certainly shouldn't burn up your own enjoyment of the game.

If you feel that this sort of cheat sheet is no longer useful (and you do have a point), perhaps you should consider if something completely different might be more appropriate? This is something I ran into over on the Curse/MC Wiki -- the guy who'd started working on the Thaumcraft pages wanted them to be just like the main topic pages: a separate page for each item, each with a graphical recipe and copy of the T-con text. He got very annoyed when I started making "roundup" pages, listing all the crucible recipes on one page, the special tools on one page, and so on. My response was that the game text had all the recipes and text, so the useful thing we could add, was to provide summaries and hints that weren't in the game text. To trot out an idea I had there, perhaps a better project would be a listing of the essentias, each with the items whose recipes use that aspect?

Sharkb8oohhaha

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to say it, but with everything I'm seeing, I SHOULD NOT update to 4.1 because...well...it's stupid. Is that the general consensus? I see people complaining that the piping system can only hold 1 liquid at a time, and research has changed (of course, right after I finish the entire Thaumonomicon).

And in regards to the way you're feeling Succubism-don't get burnt out. Take a break, play other mods, hell play other games. Don't let the negative feeling overcome your drive for fun! If Azanor wants to screw up his mod, the results will show.

I, for one, could not have done it without your work!

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Succubism, if you don't want to do this, it's fine. Nobody is asking you to do any more, and your point is a good one. I'm just grateful you did this, it made TC4 far better than it could have been without it.

Thank you for making TC4 fun.

Reactions: Sharkb8oohhaha

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
I gotta say, with the new research there isnt rlly much need for a cheatsheet. Previously we had to figure out what aspects where bounded to each research, with the new 4.1, this is given to us. I would just focus on tips and tricks for a better understanding thaumcraft.

Boccob

Jul 29, 2019
I think the cheat sheet might be needed for some of the hidden research now. I upgraded after having scanned the majority of the world and I'm missing the mirrors still.

And like Veggetossj said, tips and tricks for understanding and efficiency.

But the 4.0 cheat sheet was INVALUABLE if you wanted to beeline for specific items. And was a major service to community, so you have my thanks.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I'll think about it. I might just condense the 4.1 cheat sheet into the minimal details like what to scan to get research and stuff.

I dunno.
I'll think about it.

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Whatever you want to do. That's the thing about community projects like these -- it's "from each according to", not just their ability, but their enthusiasm. And nothing undercuts enthusiasm worse than the feeling of "this is pointless". Maybe just play the game for a while, until you find yourself thinking, "I wish there was a resource for (X)... hmm, I could make that". (That's where my crucible summary at the MCWiki came from.)

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I'll think about it. I might just condense the 4.1 cheat sheet into the minimal details like what to scan to get research and stuff.

I dunno.
I'll think about it.
Well a simple compendium of all the resources like sheet of how to make aspects etc. would be invaluable.