[1.6.x] Thaumcraft 4.0.5b Research Cheat Sheet - 1Mil Views!! - Topic above me is a doodoo head. HA!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Joshatdot

Jul 29, 2019
1) Calm down.
2) If you need help, just ask, no need to rant and get angry.
3) If you need more aspects, then all you need to do is put some bookshelves around your research table, go look around with a thaumometer, and/or get a deconstruction table. The only one of those things not documented here, I think, is bookshelves. All they do is gradually restore research aspects, although I think only primal aspects.

I don't understand how this is not enough of a guide. There's even a link to the quick way to research all aspects, and how to combine them all. Are you sure you actually looked properly? Also if you look in this thread, there are many discussions on different things, including research tips.

Sorry .. it's so frustrating when you spend 4 hours and not get anywhere!
1. Friend and I are playing MagicFarm2 v1.1.18 .. not sure if it relevant, but prolly is.
2. This Cheat Sheet assumes you know about TC, and know how to go looking at things with the scanner thing.
3. I have scanned what little there is that I can scan .. and everything else is "You're do dumb to research this." or summat
3a. If there was maybe a progression guide on what to scan first, and after that scan these, then this .. etc
4. The book you get has Pink text, and I would assume I could click on it to see how things are crafted in the green bench thing .. nope

I am going to stop playing this for a few days, because I don't want to break my computer by punching it

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
1. Friend and I are playing MagicFarm2 v1.1.18 .. not sure if it relevant, but prolly is.
2. This Cheat Sheet assumes you know about TC, and know how to go looking at things with the scanner thing.
3. I have scanned what little there is that I can scan .. and everything else is "You're do dumb to research this." or summat
3a. If there was maybe a progression guide on what to scan first, and after that scan these, then this .. etc
4. The book you get has Pink text, and I would assume I could click on it to see how things are crafted in the green bench thing .. nope

I am going to stop playing this for a few days, because I don't want to break my computer by punching it
1) Doesn't really matter except for TC version, but makes very little difference with the core parts of TC
2) It tells you. Look. It's part of the thaumonomicon anyway.
3) There is, I mentioned there is one, please actually read what I say.
4) When you complete a piece of research, it lets you click on its icon in the thaumonomicon, and tells you the recipe over the page, if not when you first click it.
This is almost all explained here. In future, read what people who are trying to help tell you, and look through everything before you go ranting on.

Reactions: Joshatdot

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019

M'kay I'm gonna go through this point for point.
It was frustrating to me too for the first five minutes until I figured out what I was doing wrong, it's been frustrating to everyone.
1. The Modpack's irelevent so long as it doesn't directly interfere with the way Thaumcraft is played and functions. Hardcore doesn't count.
2. I think there's some confusion on what this cheat sheet stands for. Of course this is what the Cheat Sheet assumes, it's not a tutorial or a beginner's guide. If this were a tutorial, it would say Tutorial in the title, but no it's a cheat sheet, assuming you want to cheat. The idealistic point of the cheat sheet is to provide you with an easy means to gain research that you've already got on your own but haven't been able to or not willing to commit to memory.
3. You've not scanned enough then. I refer you to this link to help you with the order with which you should combine and scan aspects for the first time, which is prominently featured in the Cheat Sheet under the Aspects of Magic post with other very helpful reference material for all your scanning/combining needs. - http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thaumcraft-4-a-quick-way-to-discover-all-aspects.33605/
4. Pink text...?

This pretty much should go without saying, but there are three types of entries that denote unlocked research and recipes in the Thaumonomicon
  • There are those that are a light gray colour and not obscured, you'll be able to read the text of the tool-tip should you over your mouse over it's icon. This means it's unlocked and ready to be red.
  • Flashing Icons are research entries that have yet to be unlocked but are ready to be researched with the research table, you can usually find these icons as they have wavy lines pointing towards them from unlocked research, designating that icon is part of a branch of research. This also allows you to read the text in the tool tip when hovering over the icon with the cursor.
  • Dark Gray and Obscured icons, if they exist, are research that is locked until a branch opens to allow you to research it. Hovering over it with the mouse will show what is usually the name of the research but obscured with the Galactic Alphabet text and underneath it it'll say "Missing Required Research!"
If you really stop playing a mod for a few days because of rage brought on by your lack of attention towards what's clearly in front of you, there's something wrong and I'd suggest reevaluating your stance with video games.
Food for thought.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working my way through Thaumcraft now :)

My advice as a budding Thaumcrafter to anyone else..

Scan everything! I mean everything.

Make a ladder, scan it. Make a pick-axe.. scan it.
Bowls, chests, hoes, shovels, doors, pressure plates, crafting bench, seeds, wood (And planks), leaves. In other words, anything you find or craft, scan it.

The low level stuff is critical, eventually you'll be able to scan animals and so forth.

Much later on, you will need to scan every single node you encounter as as far as I can tell they will be one of your only sources of research points.

Tip.. when scanning. ALWAYS keep a pen and ink with you with some paper, ALWAYS.

If you do this, sometimes you will get a 'breakthrough' which will show up in your Thaumcraft 'tech tree', showing you a topic you haven't yet researched with the aspect you need to unlock it with! Can save a lot of time.

Good luck!

Reactions: Joshatdot

Joshatdot

Jul 29, 2019
Hey sorry all for ranting abit before.

I've been watching the YT series linked in OP, and some other tuts/how-to's .. all is better now.

Again, sorry

Reactions: Succubism

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Just found a major bug in the Vazkii cheat site... The Arcane Lamp is listed as a rather difficult infusion (Tenebrae!). My Thaumonomicon tells me it's a rather vis-cheap Arcane Crafting.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Oh I can, can I?

You know, I initially wasn't going to because I didn't have your permission, but now that I do, I think I just might.
Now, Succubism, be nice. I don't think that's how he meant it.

Although I would be rather grateful if that was fixed *eye twitches*

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I've known it's there for a while. I've purposefully left it to piss people off.

Ain't I a stinker?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
b70.jpg

Reactions: James_Grimm

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Succubism, what are you going to do when TC4.1 comes out? Seeing as you'll be able to directly choose your research, and the involved aspects are told to you as soon as you put the notes in the table and all...

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Succubism, what are you going to do when TC4.1 comes out? Seeing as you'll be able to directly choose your research, and the involved aspects are told to you as soon as you put the notes in the table and all...
There's still square research, which doesn't tell you or automatically do it. SHe could still have a sheet invilving the hexagonal ones, as it would be easier to know what aspects etc.

Mental Mouse

Jul 29, 2019
Another possible cheatsheet: Listing all the essentia with the recipes that use them. This is handy even for crucible recipes (and I've done that over on the wiki (ETA: Actually, I realize I'd just listed the recipes, but there's few enough crucible recipes for that to be almost as good), but it would be especially useful for infusion recipes. (E.g., exactly what recipes do use Auram? Offhand I've got the thaumium wand caps, and the recharge pedestal, but all the other recipes I thought had it, don't actually seem to.)

Last edited: