[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I am slowly migrating all the information to http://crashlanding.wildwestscifi.net/

Changelogs, mods, credits and all YouTube links can be found there, as well as forums for bug reports and a place to share your stories. Note @Shane2482 is handling bugs and exploits, so please direct problems to him, thanks.

Note: If you are playing on a 1.1.1 version map or earlier a reset is MANDATORY to update. You WILL break your ability to progress and very few of the new features in 1.1.2 and later will function!

If you get the message"The server doesnt have HQM Mode Enabled" on map start up, please ignore it. This is on purpose, as HQM's hardcore mode does not work with Sync's life system. The quests will still work.

If the questing system does not start correctly please use /HQM quest NOT /HQM enable. /HQM enable will put you in HQM Hardcore, at which point Sync functionality will NOT be enabled. You die 3 times, shell or not, game over.

If you use a Sync shell and your temp and hydration bars become "No Environment Data" you must log out and back in.

You've managed to crash land on a dry, dusty planet. No water, no food, no real supplies. The first challenge, to survive the blazing heat where every drop of water is precious.

So many modpacks and maps try making gameplay harder by altering hunger. Very few, in fact none I know of, look at Minecraft's other normally abundant resource, water. Well, now here it is the limited resource. Try not to dehydrate.

Map is set to vanilla hardcore. This is deliberate. Sync is installed. You need more lives, you build more shells, you won't get hearts like in Agrarian Skies.

Also, while the map is fully playable, I am still making balance changes and implementing quests. Please feel free to offer suggestions and criticisms, however at this time I am deep into end game content. I am unlikely to make any changes until the pack is ready to transition to 1.7.10.

MAP RESET MANDATORY!

Updated Autopackager
Updated Enviromine
Updated Steve's Drought
Added Formivore's City and Ruins Generator
Added Ruins
Added MobProperties
Random generated cities with loot
Random terrain gen
Updated Special Mobs and made it default on
Updated Zombie Awareness and made it default on
Random terrain and cities added, map reset REQUIRED
Super rare chance for mini-ghast mounted creepers and rare chance for spider mounted witches
Quest fixes for bugs and added some new rewards
Changed High Oven, Deep Tank, Smeltery, and Big Reactor parts to be salvage only.

Updated Big Reactors to 0.3.4A2
Updated Sync to 2.2.3
Removed oreDict entries for Ex Nihilo and Ex Aliquo ore gravel and ore sand to prevent an exploit
Added High Oven recipes for ore gravel and sand
More Pneumaticcraft quests
Changed pulverizer recipes for ore gravel and sand. They now give the appropriate ore sand and ore dust plus fragments, just like, but slightly less efficient than, a hammer.
Several new quests, including repeatable quests for all passive animals. Removed the temporary spawn egg recipes as a result.

Updated Harvestcraft Waila Fixes to 1.0.4
Added Steve's Drought (coded specifically for this modpack. Thanks Vswe!)
Increased the amount of water leaves give in the crucible, 10 leaves to 1000 mB of water
Decreased the amount of water saplings give in the liquid transposer slightly, 10 saplings to 1000 mb of water
In both cases, composting to dirt and making water is slightly more efficient, but requires more time/extra steps
Spice of Life should be slightly more forgiving. The more complex a food recipe, the more it counts for your food history.
Wooden Barrel are craftable again
Stone Barrel recipe reverted to normal
Crafting recipes for rotten flesh and saplings to dirt have been removed, and the quest associated with that has also been removed
Nerfed Liquid Transfer Nodes
Added a repeatable quest for the PCB pattern
Added a recipe for the Kinetic Compressor so you can now generate greater than 5 bars of pressure via RF
Added a machine frame to the Autonomous Activator recipe, added a guaranteed Activator as a quest reward
Buffed iron drops from dust and gravel sieving slightly

Updated Extra Cells to 1.6.9d
Updated HQM to 4.0.4
Updated Pneumaticcraft to 1.1.4f
Updated Sync to 2.2.2
Updated TICTweaks to 1.0.3
Added Special Mobs, default off
Added Spice of Life, default off
Added Zombie Awareness
Added heat to a lot more blocks, thanks to Pip69
Reworked and Added Reward Bags (work in progress)
Reworked Quests for HQM 4.0.4 See if you can find the hidden quest!
Pneumaticcraft quests started. They will now walk you through setting up a pressure chamber and how to make PCBs manually. More advanced quests will come later
Removed vanilla seeds from the sieve and the quest book.
Added Harvestcraft seeds to sieve and quest book.
Gently nerfed food and water rewards.
Tech tree unified. Pneumaticcraft is now necessary for almost all tech progression
If enabled, mobs will break light sources and smash tech. also, if they can see through something, they will destroy it to get to you. This includes half slabs, fence gates, and glass.
Mobs in general are smarter.
Changed the maps a little. Bone meal added to the starting supplies

Updated TSteelworks
Updated Modtweaker
Added Iguana Tweaks
Added Extra Cells
Nerfed pulverized metals from dust
Can now get stones from sieving dust, at a reduced chance
Can, rarely, get eggs from sieving dust
End and Nether are now void
Removed wooden compost barrels
Added dirt recipes to compensate
Altered Stone barrel recipe
Altered Jetpack recipes
Added neutral mobs
Fixed a quest bug
all vanilla tools have 1 durability. Useful only for crafting recipes
No TiCo wood or stone tools: Bone and flint only in the beginning!
Sleep Hunger is now on
Water can now be drawn from saplings in a Liquid Transposer. 1/8 bucket each.
Leaves can be thrown into a crucible for 20 mB water each
Cauldrons are disabled
Accumulators have been removed from the starting map
Accumulator recipes have been heavily altered
Quests have been altered to match the new map
Second Map has been created. Maps now labeled Hard and Easy
Drinking juices and smoothies will hydrate you slightly and cool you off
Sulfur can now be sieved from gravel

And a big thank you to all my beta map testers. Without your help, this modpack would not be possible.

Last edited:

starg09

Jul 29, 2019
Just downloaded it, seems interesting :)

Edit: ok, I survived for about 4 minutes xD
You should put the "dirt water bottle" quest after the sapplings one (the one where you make the barrel, the crook and one other thing i cant remember), so new people (or people with bad memory) don't waste their only dirt in that one first :p

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Just downloaded it, seems interesting :)

Edit: ok, I survived for about 4 minutes xD
You should put the "dirt water bottle" quest after the sapplings one (the one where you make the barrel, the crook and one other thing i cant remember), so new people (or people with bad memory) don't waste their only dirt in that one first :p
Heh. Woops. Yeah. This is only the second beta, and balancing is an on-going thing. Having more people play to find my failings is a good thing. I have played a lot of Agrarian Skies, so I tend to avoid the new player traps automatically.

Suggestions like that are exactly what I want. No worries, I will move things around a bit.

Oh, and there are other traps, btw. Deliberate traps, this time. And there are optimizations you can make to game the system a bit. All I'll say is pay close attention to your heat bar.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Unfortunately, while I can change the temperature of solid blocks, doing so with liquid blocks has, so far, not worked reliably. Things containing hot stuff, however...

Edit: Did some work on the next update. Maps are compatible, so no need to worry about that. Tier 1 quests are just about done and some more goodies are ready to go.

Last edited:

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to more.
Is Sync really supposed to require a nether star to craft?
Idea: send 2 copies of the map, and name 1 backup copy.
If you start a multi-player (co-op) game, you only get the 1 gun & camel pack.
What about putting those as rewards for the 1st quest? So everyone gets gun, ammo, camel pack, shovel & food.
How far is the range of a heat source?
What blocks produce heat/cool?

EDIT: There are several chunks around the crash site that are still Desert. I was wondering why my heat was going up sometimes for no reason.

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Looking forward to more.
Is Sync really supposed to require a nether star to craft?
Idea: send 2 copies of the map, and name 1 backup copy.
If you start a multi-player (co-op) game, you only get the 1 gun & camel pack.
What about putting those as rewards for the 1st quest? So everyone gets gun, ammo, camel pack, shovel & food.
How far is the range of a heat source?
What blocks produce heat/cool?

EDIT: There are several chunks around the crash site that are still Desert. I was wondering why my heat was going up sometimes for no reason.

Yeah. Apparently MCEdit brought the biomes over as well as the structure. That...should not have happened. I'll fix it for the next version.

And yes, the game is not optimized for multiplayer. I'm not sure it really can be with the ideas I am thinking of implementing. Being in a party, however, will duplicate the water rewards and such, so it should help a bit.

As for Sync, that was my fauly and will be fixed in the next version. Forgot that changing to hardcore would also change those recipes to hardcore.

As for the rest, experiment! Everything is fairly logical.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
So just finished all the quest available with my family, and some thoughts on it.

-need a reliable way to make clay. you need seared bricks to make a servo for an extruder, never mind if you want to make a smeltery.
-give some bone meal to start would cut down on some of the tedium.
-give a hint in the book (add a quest?) that the camel pack keeps your heat down better then drinking 4 bottles of water do.
-cold water doesn't seem to cool you better then normal water.
-are you going to add anything to the world for exploring? nether? end?

Multiplayer thought:
-use a map copy, but not hardcore, just hard with 2 lives each. Don't need to worry about giving extra hearts.
-like I mentioned above, if some of the starting items were rewards, then that would cover for both single and multiplayer, food was the tough one for us.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Clay is a bit tedious, but shouldn't be that hard. Set up a monster farm and a tree farm. Make shears (you can directly sieve dust, and it is literally all around you). Shear leaves from trees, add that and rotten flesh to compost barrels. Make lots of dirt. Turn dirt into dirty water (which is why those quests are there, to point out that utility). Smelt dirty water in any furnace into clean water(that quest is coming). Plop the water bottle into a barrel. Dust then becomes clay. I may need to point that out in a quest.

Oh, and a quest is coming that shows that you can extend that a bit. Water bottle into barrel. Scoop out with a bucket. Place down a cauldron over a fire (nether rack is just 1 redstone into a stone barrel). Place water in cauldron. You then get 3 water bottle out of that. You can rinse and repeat for as much water as you'd like at that point, just slowly. Pretty much infinite clay. You just can't automate it. Oh, and if you don't want to go through the effort of lighting a fire under the cauldron, you can directly bottle water out of a cold cauldron. You'll end up with salt water, which you can drop in a furnace to clean it up.

Cold water cools you by 0.1 degrees. Normal water by .05 degrees. As a bonus, water cooling cannot take you below 37 degrees. Cold water can take you all the way down to hypothermia. You are better off saving cold water for emergencies, instead of normal hydration.

There will be a quest coming that will net you a glacial precipitator and thus snowballs to make cold water.

Tier 1 quests are now complete. I'm waiting on the FTB team to update my pack with the new quests. There will be exploration quests coming. Nice thing about having pneumaticcraft, I think I can specify GPS units with pre-inputted coordinates as quest rewards. If I can, then yes, there will indeed be quite a bit of exploration based quests. I have mods I would like to install that would hard lock you out of them until you go exploring. (for instance, removing Blood Magic's recipe for the altar, leaving it only findable by exploration).

I cannot use HQM's life system. It does not respect Sync's ability to shortcut death by going to an unused shell. The only way is to use vanilla hardcore. I tried, and I wished it worked.

Also, this map really is not built around multiplayer, especially large multiplayer servers. a 2 or maybe 3 member team might work, any more than that and the exploration aspect I plan for would break down. That starting quest that gives the Accumulators? Yeah, ending up with 4 rather than 2 is fairly huge with a bit of work. You can slap a sprinkler on top and grow a farm that way, no source water needed. Make a second sprinkler and you come out ahead (I think there is even a sprinkler reward in the first few quests). I'd rather not mass duplicate most of those starting items, as a balance issue. That needlegun, for instance, can be very easily reloaded with a bit of care. More than 1 of those would trivialize the fact that you have monsters all around you.

And lastly, this is still early beta. The second release, even. I'm still tweaking things. There will be a few bugs and kinks to work out. Like, for instance, you are likely never get a rubber tree without quite a bit of luck. I just fixed that with a quest line.

Actually, I think you'll be well pleased with beta 3. It makes things a bit clearer, and has quests that lead you up to establishing a mob farm and basic power. Plus I fixed a few oversights.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I forgot about the dust -> water = clay thing. That's the problem relying on NEI to remember recipes.
Yeah, big servers won't work for your concept, but if people like it they'll be asking about it, so try and keep the idea of a group of 2-3 in the back of your mind as you designing things.
Just as we'd finished I got a rubber tree seed from sifting, and now you're going to give it away for free?
Getting an item from following a GPS unit sounds more interesting then just being hand the item.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yup, I forgot about the dust -> water = clay thing. That's the problem relying on NEI to remember recipes.
Yeah, big servers won't work for your concept, but if people like it they'll be asking about it, so try and keep the idea of a group of 2-3 in the back of your mind as you designing things.
Just as we'd finished I got a rubber tree seed from sifting, and now you're going to give it away for free?
Getting an item from following a GPS unit sounds more interesting then just being hand the item.
Giving it away for free? Not so much. You will see. There will be a few quests involved.

Yeah. Unfortunately, with exploration based quests, well, more than 1 or 2 teams would ruin it. I'm going to do my best. And it may never get that far. I've only just gotten the tier 1 quests done, basic survival. I'm going to have at least 3 or 4 more sets of quests first. Covering the basics of Pneumaticcraft, Sync, setting up more advanced power, lord knows what else. I've got an outline, but it will take a bit. And then there are the reward bags. That is a big ball of headache getting those balanced.

I expect to do weekly or biweekly updates, more often if critical bugs are found. We shall see how it goes.

Of course, if this thing gets popular all bets are off.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
PACK UPDATE!

Beta 1.0.3
Fixed biome derp
Fixed Sync derp
Several more blocks now have Enviromine properties. Watch your temperature
Hydration and Heat adjusted down slightly
Tier 1 quests (mostly) complete
Mod updates:
Ex Aliquo
Pneumaticcraft
Simply Jetpacks

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Just did a quick run through for 1.03: Seems good, might not be enough food though. I would have starved to death. The pace of the quests was ok, I could always be doing something, and didn't have to wait too long to get the next one. Just food was a problem. I didn't go running, a little bit of fighting, but that was only to kill stuff the one that wouldn't burn in the sun so I could get other drops. Maybe put in 1-2 jerky at each quest reward for the first few?

Tossing some thought out here.
  • Not sure if you're able to get mobs from from other mods randomly spawn where they normally don't, but some of the insects from Erebus would fit right in and spice up the world.
  • You've probably got some plans for an end game quest line to build a ship & escape. What about adding in Glacticraft? Not as the actual means for ending, but say that ship can only reach a few close planets, and those are the only places to get the resources to build an interstellar ship. Like having to go else where to get yellorium.
  • Will there be a way to tell what block produce heat? Are machines in general going to give off heat?
  • Any plans on using Enviromine physics?
In case you haven't see it yet, Mod Tweaker might help with your plans

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Enviromine physics is a no. The entire map is made out of dust. You would not like what would happen to your computer if I used physics in that case.

Yes, what blocks produce heat should be fairly obvious. Although not all blocks that should do so just yet. I'm catching them as I think of them. If you see your heat spike red, step away from that block.

I considered Galacticraft and starting the players on Mars to have no oxygen as well as no water. Decided against it. I'm trying to keep things relatively simple for right now.

And yes, I've seen ModTweaker. Being able to do evil, evil things with Ex Nihilo sieving has me intrigued.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Oh drat. Error in the configs. Somehow. In the Ex Aliquo config mini-smelteries should be set to true, not false. I will fix that for the next release.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
For the physics, the world is solid, so no problems there. But I know what you mean, I tried a new world, superflat all dust, but added in mineshaft. That didn't work out too well, next one didn't have mineshafts. With the current build, glowstone blocks don't help hold up other blocks, but if they get that fixed, I'll try using physics again.

Certus Quartz, can we get either a recipe to craft/smelt it from dust? it doesn't have to be a simple 1:1 like AS had it. 4:1, 9:1 or needing an induction smelter would work.