[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
This pack reminds me of what HQM is for, there are so many packs with HQM as Icing or as a few walls but this pack is done so well, I just wish that the pack in doing with a team could be this good.

A big part of what I love about this pack is that it's one of the few packs I've ever played that properly forces tech progression to follow one path, jiggers recipes around to prevent cross-mod exploits, and forced me to learn new mods to progress. I had played a few packs with PneumaticCraft prior to this one, but I'd always ignored it. Once I was left with no choice but to learn it to make my way through Crash Landing, I decided I really like PnC. Probably the only thing that was missing was some way to ultimately get off the planet, maybe with GalacticCraft or something similar. Then again, once you get to the end game and can have endless food and water, an impenetrable base, and a slave army of however many villagers you want...do you REALLY want to go back home?

Reactions: jdog1408

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
A big part of what I love about this pack is that it's one of the few packs I've ever played that properly forces tech progression to follow one path, jiggers recipes around to prevent cross-mod exploits, and forced me to learn new mods to progress.
You say this as though it's a necessary component to all good packs. I would argue that forcing tech progression is among the worst moves for a pack intended to be enjoyed by just a generic audience. Removing exploits can also have a negative impact.
//Me waxing philosophical about various concepts
For forcing progression: Don't get me wrong, it works FANTASTICALLY in this pack, and you are very right to praise it here. However, a big part of the appeal of ALL forms of Minecraft is not being forced to play any one way. Now, packs like this help people like me who have zero self control to take the high road instead of the easy mode--I actually have to suck it up and make an effort. However, packs in general should include 2 or maybe 3 paths which work ok individually and REALLY well in combination with each other (that second thing tends to happen on it's own, due to unexpected mod interaction). Sandbox packs--like Infinity--are still cool. Heck, I spent 3 years trying to make a tech pack with ONE electricity system (for immersion) with a specific set of gear to use as you get further. I finally finished it thanks to RF's universal popularity, published it (it's in my sig as Colony), maintained it for a while, and then just gave up and threw 60 mods of every type into a pack and now I'm playing that.
Exploits: This one is a bit sillier and more philosophical. First, the term "exploit" is a little fuzzy. How do we define a cross-mod exploit? An interaction between two mods which allows the player to access stuff more powerful than they have access to? Clearly, infinite EMC from blaze rods and pulverizers is an exploit. On the other hand, playing the Twilight Forest with any other mods installed is instantly an exploit. I know that I've never exclusively used TF gear in a boss fight--I'm the kind of guy who cheeses bosses with invincibility armor and lightning swords. But you know what? That is still fun. Furthermore, if you can figure out a cross-mod exploit, I'd say you deserve whatever stuff you get, EMC or energy or whatever.
TL;DR: Crash Landing is an awesome pack and is a model for other hard packs, but sandbox packs are still cool. Also exploits in sandbox packs are fun. :)
(no offense meant--if it sounds sassy it's because I'm trying to write while I'm tired, and while I'm not crabby, stuff comes out of my mouth which doesn't offend ME but might offend you because I can't think of everything even while I'm awake and it's definitely worse when I'm tired. :p)

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to change the entity view distance (the distance at which I see stuff on the ground)? I hate having to spend the first half of each day looking for bones and brains because I have to be pretty damn close to see stuff. I thought I remembered a way to change it... but I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. I tried Optifine as that was the obvious thought, but I didn't see anything in there.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Is there any way to change the entity view distance (the distance at which I see stuff on the ground)? I hate having to spend the first half of each day looking for bones and brains because I have to be pretty damn close to see stuff. I thought I remembered a way to change it... but I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. I tried Optifine as that was the obvious thought, but I didn't see anything in there.

You are looking for Flenix Tweaks.

Don't forget to disable everything else in the config thouh, it may change the intended mechanics of Crash Landing.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh, that name sounds familiar. Though I may have just gotten past that hump of needing to spend all my time looking for bones and brains... Lol. But very good to know about anyway.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Flenix Tweaks did the job, thanks. I turned off everything other than entity render distance, but that alone is a huge help. Though it brings up a good question for Iskandar (and one I'm getting deja vu about, so I wonder if I asked this a long time ago): Do you feel that upping the entity render distance like this breaks the game play/challenge of the pack?

I mean I kind of feel that the render distance is there as more of a limitation because of the original coding or the systems that existed when the game was made. If I can see that dust dune 50 meters to the north... then why shouldn't I be able to see the pile of bones on the ground between here and there? But even if it's only there because of the initial limitations of the system itself, it doesn't mean that the difficulty of the game isn't built with that limitation in mind. Therefor altering that limitation, alters the difficulty. As a general rule, I prefer to play the packs as they were intended. I mean I have no problem throwing in an occasional graphical mod (damage pop offs, mini map, texture pack), but I try not to change the overall intended experience of the game.

123456789045r

Am I the only one having the problem of the sync mod not working properly? Because I was playing with a friend, and I died from a spider (that lagged through a wall), and I had a complete shell, when I died, I was forced to leave. Am I the only one with this problem?

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
If it was a server set to hardcore mode, then when you die, you get banned (added to the blacklist). It's possible that's what happened.

But then again, I thought technically if you had a shell, the sync mod stopped you from actually dying in the first place... So I don't know.

DarkStarMU

Jul 29, 2019
If it was a server set to hardcore mode, then when you die, you get banned (added to the blacklist). It's possible that's what happened.

But then again, I thought technically if you had a shell, the sync mod stopped you from actually dying in the first place... So I don't know.
I thought you had to use the clone from the shell and put the real you in the shell. But I'm not 100% sure.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

123456789045r

Yea, the shell was full, it was powered by redstone, but I think we fixed it because we both restarted our PC's and it worked (He killed me on accident)

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason why you can easily get ridiculous quantities of limestone? I mean is it just so we have something to build with?

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Heh... I actually just live in the crashed shuttle myself.

Does anybody know, is it faster to use 2 autonomous activators on the same sieve, or to have each one on it's own sieve? In other words, are two activators twice as fast as one, and three of them three times as fast, ect.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
From what I remember (and that's asking a lot), if you have just 2 AA then put them on separate sieves. But if can make a bunch of AA, then put as many as you can fit onto 1 sieve.

Death_Rictus

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one having the problem of the sync mod not working properly? Because I was playing with a friend, and I died from a spider (that lagged through a wall), and I had a complete shell, when I died, I was forced to leave. Am I the only one with this problem?

Was the location with the shell chunk loaded? Shells that aren't loaded frequently fail IIRC.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Heh... I actually just live in the crashed shuttle myself.

Does anybody know, is it faster to use 2 autonomous activators on the same sieve, or to have each one on it's own sieve? In other words, are two activators twice as fast as one, and three of them three times as fast, ect.

I did a little test to see how much dust can be processed by various setups in the same time frame:

jJFJIMj.png

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, very good to know. I mean the difference is minimal up until 4, but going 1 to 1 has the added benefit of being able to do two types of things at once. And then of course I just use flowing water leading to a hopper for automated pick up.

SeverinMat

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm not entirely sure of the reason, but when I decided to play Crash Landing after a long time, it fails to launch minecraft, simple stating that there was an error.