[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
dwarf fortress, a game that's esoteric even for me. There is no winning, you will eventually be defeated. The goal is to explore build and see if its the dwarf eating carp that winds up getting you.... and its all rendered in ascii code.

Zallori

Jul 29, 2019
PODonnell I agree with you honestly. I'm a fairly new player (this is my 2nd modpack, after Technic) and I really enjoy the actual HARD aspect of it. Yea some bugs are annoying, which is why I don't think back-ing up is a bad idea, but the people who are wanting it easier shouldn't complain imho. Enjoy the challenge. If you think it's too hard, play something else or cheat. It's not a big deal for us but I don't think there's a reason to make it easier. (which is why I play with griefing and hard route)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
dwarf fortress, a game that's esoteric even for me. There is no winning, you will eventually be defeated. The goal is to explore build and see if its the dwarf eating carp that winds up getting you.... and its all rendered in ascii code.
I hate DF :) *Activating Flame retardant keyboard* I'm one of those that just doesn't get it. Now, if you had shown me DF back in my 8 bit days, I would have played the hell out of it. I've just played so many awesome games that I can't get into those anymore. You wouldn't see me tho, complaining in the DF forums about how hard it is and needs to be dumbed down. I know in my heart that this isn't the game for me, thus, I move on. that simple.[DOUBLEPOST=1409181256][/DOUBLEPOST]
the fangs represent brutal zomies/skeletons
I don't see the 400 HP ones then for some odd reason. Too busy running away. I think it's cause I always load up my weapons with certain things like consecrated earth, etc... switch out when I go to cities with ones with quartz. I wish we could get an anti-pig zombie enhancement, like add a bacon mushroom cheeseburger on a sword and get +1 piggy or something. I love that one part of the DW vid where he killed the spider with a PB&J. hehe FOOD FIGHT!

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Another thing, if you were to look at all my posts in this topic (go ahead, I'll wait a week while you do that), you'd find me complaining left and right. Not cause it's too hard, but that certain things were made as time sinks instead of making it harder. Adding grinding or complexity for a singular task. don't get me started on pneumaticraft or changing all the main ingredients like casings to the cards, etc... I had a specific thing to gripe about. I never came in here and said "it's too hard, make it easier". I played on easy route this time around cause I wanted a sync shell to start and not worry about it. ATM, that has no effect on the game cept to my ego. Once I get used to the world at large and have a better grip on my initial setup, I'll probably reset again at some point during a version change of the pack, and choose hard then. You don't learn anything if you remove all the obstacles in your path and not have to go through them at all. I've found this pack to be even more challenging then BnB in some ways and IMHO, WAY more balanced to the point that it's not so cut throat. The day Iskandar adds invaders, well, all bets are off. Happy day for PODonnell, but sad day for me.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I admit, even I *gasp*, this is hard to admit, think bnb's balance can be worked on regarding invaders. I tended to play BnB in hardcore and invaders ended MANY of my worlds....... I haven't played in awhile things may have changed. BnB got retired when I discovered how my computer handled the nether.....

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry but a guy dropped on top of Everest by helicopter, using bottled oxygen has not achieved the same thing as those who've spent weeks/months acclimating and struggling to reach the summit..... and I'd call much of that proccess "Grinding".

One is more more difficult from a technical stand point, while the other (disregarding physical endurance) is more of a measure of perseverance and strength of will. I'd argue that a well balanced pack should have considerable challenges in both categories.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing, if you were to look at all my posts in this topic (go ahead, I'll wait a week while you do that), you'd find me complaining left and right. Not cause it's too hard, but that certain things were made as time sinks instead of making it harder. Adding grinding or complexity for a singular task. don't get me started on pneumaticraft or changing all the main ingredients like casings to the cards, etc... I had a specific thing to gripe about. I never came in here and said "it's too hard, make it easier". I played on easy route this time around cause I wanted a sync shell to start and not worry about it. ATM, that has no effect on the game cept to my ego. Once I get used to the world at large and have a better grip on my initial setup, I'll probably reset again at some point during a version change of the pack, and choose hard then. You don't learn anything if you remove all the obstacles in your path and not have to go through them at all. I've found this pack to be even more challenging then BnB in some ways and IMHO, WAY more balanced to the point that it's not so cut throat. The day Iskandar adds invaders, well, all bets are off. Happy day for PODonnell, but sad day for me.
Yeah, BnB was horrible just because of how impossible it seemed. I think it was the "I respawned lets go get my stuff (I was playing w/ friends, so not hardcore) oh wait CREEPER" *blam* rinse and repeat, no more lawn it's now a huge crater full of cobblestone water bubbles because of elemental creepers... And then tools were impossible to get, too. That sucked. :p

EDIT: On Topic:
That's why I like this. It feels possible, if difficult or even beyond my skill level.
Of course, this coming from the guy who turns keepInventory on and mobGriefing off when playing VANILLA, so...

IMPORTANT(ish) EDIT:
Firstly, how do you mention/tag/summon people on these forums? Is it an '@' sign? So, like, @Iskandar? (I think it is... stuff flashed when I typed that...)

There's another dude doing youtubes for this pack, a guy by the name of Direwolf20 (You know, the dude who does PR for every mod on the ftb packs? :p). Here's the link to Ep. 1 of his series:

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I seem to be having trouble creating the MFR Grinder. I put the recipe as it shows in NEI in a crafting bench, yet I can't craft it. I've tried cheating one in, but the quest requires me to actually craft it, so I'm stuck. Below is a screenshot of me making the recipe. Any help? Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/nM7LQtr.png
Hi gilmouta

Your books are almost certainly the ones found in cities, which have an odd "metadata" attached to them (if you mouseover them, you'll see the ID#:8 or something)

These books can be "cleaned" by placing a "good" book in your inventory (you'll need to craft it from scratch), throwing the bad ones on the ground, and picking them back on. They'll merge and unify with the good book.

Reactions: Summit

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised so many people are running into that problem with the book metadata thing. I never considered even collecting books from the city. I always just crafted books with paper, string, and TiCo blank patterns, or paper and leather, leather by smelting rotten flesh.

Reactions: cannajan

psycicfrog

Jul 29, 2019
I wish there was a mod that made mobs come after you the further you went from your house. It would only send out a few zombies more as you reached 20 blocks from your ship of the 2nd night. the fifth night you have half of the maximum mobs and by 10th day it maxs out.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I'm sorry but a guy dropped on top of Everest by helicopter, using bottled oxygen has not achieved the same thing as those who've spent weeks/months acclimating and struggling to reach the summit..... and I'd call much of that proccess "Grinding".

One is more more difficult from a technical stand point, while the other (disregarding physical endurance) is more of a measure of perseverance and strength of will. I'd argue that a well balanced pack should have considerable challenges in both categories.
Yeah, I was trying to use not so many words, something I fail miserably at.

To me? Grinding is akin to dropping a barrier in front of you and make you walk a longer way to get to something that you used to get to in one step. If you came in when that one step didn't exist, it's no longer grinding, it's status quo. I don't know a better word for it. (progress? :) ). If it extends something without providing any value/fun, there doesn't seem to be a point to it in my eyes. ALOT of minecraft ends up in this regard because of the limitation of the engine you're playing with. Some mod makers have taken that to heart and created alot of fun using what they had to work with (AM2, tico, AE, SFM, TE for example).

Taking away the AA from the starter chest wasn't grinding, it was tactically pushing you in a different direction that gave you more options. I felt that SOL was grinding but learned it wasn't really, that it forced me down the path to make different foods. Balancing that with the meals essentially being a food never needing replacing balanced that equation, which directly came about because of frustration with SOL itself.

You see where I'm coming from? Placing a barrier to entry of pneumaticraft which, IMHO needs work, but alot of people have zero issues with, was grinding to me. It had no fun factor (to me), and just blocked you from making the stuff you were used to making already minus that PC interference. Again, iskandar/shane added the cities as a counterbalance to that same issue since I was NOT the only one that felt that way, we spoke up, and voila, compromise. One I can totally live with.

The examples above led to conclusions drawn through conversation right here in this topic. Without this back and forth, I don't think any of them would have been done that way.

Psych 101... To get a rat through a maze, you need to give him/her/it an incentive (cheese). To get a human to move through life, you need to give them incentive (money -> food/shelter -> life). Without the incentive, anarchy, chaos, bakersfield. way over simplification, but there has to be 'had' something, in order to get over that hill and fight the orcs. Unless you're the kind of person that will go over that hill anyways. Me? Still running from vampire pigs and will continue to do so.

Reactions: Shane2482

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
It is/was lagging day or night as soon as sifting, I'm going to assume some form of download corruption and hope this re-down helps. Now that you mention it though, the enevitable doom DID tend to happen at night, so lag from special mob was a contributing factor. But I could get terminal lag in daylight.

The redown is now 1.1.2 and I do have zombie awareness and it is turned on. If that fixes zombie based lag, that's not the one to disable?

Playing 1.1.2. I've been doing most of the things you listed from staying in the ship, sifting - a LOT, sleeping etc. All of it except sitting in a chair. I've still not gotten the lag that you mentioned and I assume ZA is on because the mobs just pile up in my pits which they didn't do when I was playing in 1.1 where it was off. Maybe it is the Special Mob thing that was mentioned.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm surprised so many people are running into that problem with the book metadata thing. I never considered even collecting books from the city. I always just crafted books with paper, string, and TiCo blank patterns, or paper and leather, leather by smelting rotten flesh.
Hey Shin Sekai

For me, its instinctive to collect books because I've been playing modded mc for a while and collecting leather is a pain in the ass.

I have gone an entire expeditions to cleanse continents of cows simply so I could put together 15 bookshelves and an altar.

Even with the simpler TiCo recipes in place, its hard to break the old habit.

Plus if it saves the trouble of crafting them later, why not...

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Hey Shin Sekai

For me, its instinctive to collect books because I've been playing modded mc for a while and collecting leather is a pain in the ass.

I have gone an entire expeditions to cleanse continents of cows simply so I could put together 15 bookshelves and an altar.

Even with the simpler TiCo recipes in place, its hard to break the old habit.

Plus if it saves the trouble of crafting them later, why not...
yeah, you can smelt zombie flesh for leather, so that still works. I'd like to know why some packs you have the 4 sticks for pattern, others you need 2 sticks 2 planks. don't think it's tico specific, so that means others are adding those recipes but others aren't?

I don't collect books on purpose. I just don't like clutter, and yeah, I pick up everything I pick. give a hoot, don't pollute! :)

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Does pneumaticraft piss anyone else off here?
My pressure chamber keeps jamming up when i leave it on automatic, ive lost so much iron and seeds to this glitching out and refusing to work until ive dismantled it.

DragonDai

Jul 29, 2019
Does pneumaticraft piss anyone else off here?
My pressure chamber keeps jamming up when i leave it on automatic, ive lost so much iron and seeds to this glitching out and refusing to work until ive dismantled it.

"Losing"? Do you have a Life Upgrade in there (forget the exact name, but it's a PneumaticCraft Upgrade item that takes 4 apples, 4 lapis, and a clock, so super cheap)? You put that upgrade in the Pressure Chamber itself and BAM, no more items despawning.

As for Jamming, again, I am at a little bit of a loss here. Can you explain better?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
So, I've discovered a pretty major exploit while playing. Basically, you get a bucket of mob essence from a grinder, then place it down in the world. If you use an empty bottle on it, you get regular water bottles, and you don't use up the source block. Can anyone else confirm this?
your suppose to pm Iskandar exploit so they don't get posted. I'll test it though.