[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Silly question: Do mobs have "passive griefing" here? Like at BnB?
I'm fairly certain I had couple oak barrels outside my ship and they vanished like just now.
(/gamerule mobGriefing off , so I don't think it was random creeper going off)
They do break some blocks, but not as much as in BnB. Torches and glowstone are targets too.

Reactions: mohrad

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
It is good that you can do it that way and i say that is great. But if there is no one way then why is it that every new player that ask for help is being told to skip the first day and just build a wall, then start working on not dieing?

(btw, love your vids...)

I don't get the angst. People recommend what they know/like/have used. Many of us go with the wall/ditch routine or one of its many permutations. There's nothing stopping you (or anyone else) from chiming in with your wisdom and suggestions when people ask for ideas.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
To anyone having a hard time getting roses or flowers. Try an ender-quarry.

Attachments

• 000.png
    000.png
    916.4 KB · Views: 115

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
(btw, love your vids...)

I don't get the angst. People recommend what they know/like/have used. Many of us go with the wall/ditch routine or one of its many permutations. There's nothing stopping you (or anyone else) from chiming in with your wisdom and suggestions when people ask for ideas.
Thanks Badgerpendous, I've actually been siting this particular debate out for a bit and have been wondering if we should be tabling it...... I feel like we are arguing over which is better, cats or dogs.......

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
(btw, love your vids...)

The main reason is the Special Mobs mod. In previous versions you could just wait a minute until all skeletons and zombie were killed by the sun, then run out and collect all the goodies. Now you have a gazillion creepers and lots of mobs in armor. Keeping them behind a wall is simply more efficient.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
(btw, love your vids...)

thx. This is what I said after i asked why people were wasting time on the first day better spent doing other things.

the most truefull answer yet...rofl there are other defenses other then walls.

Then i was told off for saying there was only one way to do defenses and spend your first night. I mean you need a cruible for a quest, the slab furnace is a quest and you need coal for cooking and such. you have to smelt the clay bucket. Didn't know i was cause so much trouble saying the first night should be sieving. Oh well guess it is best to drop it and when people ask i'll make like a list of things that can be done the first day for the most benefit. I mean you don't even have light so they're going to spawn on the wall and inside the wall even if you build one the first day unless you do a small one that covered by the 24 block spawn limit.[DOUBLEPOST=1409073812][/DOUBLEPOST]
The main reason is the Special Mobs mod. In previous versions you could just wait a minute until all skeletons and zombie were killed by the sun, then run out and collect all the goodies. Now you have a gazillion creepers and lots of mobs in armor. Keeping them behind a wall is simply more efficient.
keeping them contained is more efficient.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Walls? pff...

TiC's Frying Pan c:
i like the frying pan. i never know it had the same attack power as Hachet does. and it is more likely to get more knock back. I like making some con-soil as soon as i can and poping it on the 1st mod slot. i think it give like 1.5-3 extra hearts of damage to undead.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
How about this. I am making a list. Repost this comment if you have more first day defenses beside the wall/ditch combo and pit trap. Note: pit trap include lethal and non lethal traps. rofl

Top starting defense you can build your first day!
1. Walls surrounding base under 20 blocks and Ditch 2 blocks deep out side the wall. (Note: You want to install a pit drop later for mob drop by using water or conv belts.)

2. 2-1*1*3 deep pits 2 the left and right of the doorway. (note:when you can add a stick piston with a level on the 2 block up will let you kill mobs auto. also you can dig it 4 deep and install a trap door lowering it in the mourn should keep them from getting out.)

3. Blocking off entry and preying for mourning. (Note: Use non mob breakable blocks)

if anyone else has a good one that can be built the first day just quote and post it and i'll edit it and save on notepad. Then i can repost when needed. Also any notes i can add onto the 3 post let me know.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
It is good that you can do it that way and i say that is great. But if there is no one way then why is it that every new player that ask for help is being told to skip the first day and just build a wall, then start working on not dieing?

Because it works. Should we be telling them to do things that don't work? I'm on day 300, have all the quests done, live in obsidian domes above the surface, critical services automatically powered via mobs, a reactor powering my side projects like ender quarries and laser drills, and a clone army ready to replace me should I have an accident. If people ask for help I'm going to tell them what worked for me. Seems kind of crazy to expect anything else.

[DOUBLEPOST=1409077129][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nice:). Wish I had one when I was trying to get some red and yellow dyes.

Red and yellow dyes are common chest loot in the cities.

Last edited:

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I too have posted detailed guides for new players, but, should we as a group consider reversing that policy? I for one valued the early days of learning the map without having it lain out for me in detail....... should we let the new players struggle a bit rather than give them point by point instructions? I know people enjoy making tutorials and all, but over researching the map really steals something from the game.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't feel it is my place to try to censor what is available to new players. Those who want to learn it all by themselves are free to do so. Those who want to research it in advance are free to do so. Those who don't have any willpower? Not my problem. :)

Reactions: Bagman817

Yoshi667

Jul 29, 2019
BP&J??? You have rice and soybeans, grilled cheese, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and bacon cheeseburgers!!!
Yeah I pretty much got them at the same time. I had the materials to make awesome food for ages but I didn't know how to make tofu lol. Everything else I could make was too convoluted for me to bother with them. Up until today I was just eating a mixture of Zombie flesh, stock, spider soup, a few rice recipes, some tea of course, and any other morsel my farm popped out.

Now I am all set though, I have my hamburgers and my sandwiches! Both have a good variety and I am happy with their crafting. I can make several different PB&J and hamburgers all in one batch and be set until I die now! I know I could probably do it with just the different kinds of burgers but ever since I made it to PB&J sandwiches in my last world right before I died I wanted to get them again.

Now off to kill some mobs for that potato so I can have a nice big breakfast and a hamburger and fries tonight.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Dogs, no question about it, dogs. LOL.
Lol, I tend to be anti pet...... though I somehow manage to always wind up living with some...... That said if I had to make a choice it'd be dogs all the way. They at least have the potential to be trained for something useful...... controlling mice and rats has never been an issue for me.......

A truffle dog would be real useful........ I do enjoy hunting mushrooms and a dog that'd lead me right to them would be worth its weight in gold.

Edit: Those are culinary mushrooms I hunt, please don't contact me requesting help identifying non-culinary shrooms.

Yoshi667

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I am definitely sure it is the sun causing the Zombies to trigger their reinforce mechanic. I had just slept through the night and a few seconds later a giant zombie spawned in the ship. I kill him and two more pop into existence. I'm pretty sure each time this has happened I have either slept through the night or I had been sitting in a chair and the sun had risen.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with this mod pack in particular or if it's a general MC bug. In case anyone is wondering about light levels, it is not that. My base is lit up like a damn Christmas tree. I thought the same thing the first time this happened and made sure of it (it wasn't the reason then either). I can post screenshots if needed lol.

Hamburger76

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, I tend to be anti pet...... though I somehow manage to always wind up living with some...... That said if I had to make a choice it'd be dogs all the way. They at least have the potential to be trained for something useful...... controlling mice and rats has never been an issue for me.......

A truffle dog would be real useful........ I do enjoy hunting mushrooms and a dog that'd lead me right to them would be worth its weight in gold.

Edit: Those are culinary mushrooms I hunt, please don't contact me requesting help identifying non-culinary shrooms.

Thanks, thanks a lot ya jerk! now I have visions of the wife taking the kids somewhere for the day and me grilling up some mushrooms drowning in butter and dumping them on top of a double bacon cheeseburger fresh off the grill with an ice cold beer.....(drool)

:D

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, thanks a lot ya jerk! now I have visions of the wife taking the kids somewhere for the day and me grilling up some mushrooms drowning in butter and dumping them on top of a double bacon cheeseburger fresh off the grill with an ice cold beer.....(drool)

:D
Not sure what part of the country/world your in....... but in my neighborhood we are entering chanterelle season..... :)

UberZogster

Jul 29, 2019
i am not saying walls aren't a good idea. i am saying there are things you can do at night from the safety of your ship and walls on the first day waste allot of times and don't really move you foward other then the fact that you spend the night catching up on stuff when really the first night you should be sieving all night hands down.
I can make walls and have enough dust to sieve all night.... I don't see defense as a waist of time. I also started making walls and ditches before I watched anyone else play or read the forums.