[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using 7-zip for my archive tool. I wonder if it makes a difference?

Hey that could be the problem I used a stupid Windows 8 app for rar files but it set its self as defualt for all file types for example zip files

Sent From My HTC EVO SUPERSONIC Using Tapatalk 2

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is a recipe bug or what, but if you hit the "u" key on bottled salt water in NEI, it says you can put it in a furnace and smelt it to get normal bottled water, but there is also a recipe to smelt bottled salt water to get salt. So when I throw salt water into the furnace, I get salt. The quest book says you can smelt salt water to get normal bottled water.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Not sure if this is a recipe bug or what, but if you hit the "u" key on bottled salt water in NEI, it says you can put it in a furnace and smelt it to get normal bottled water, but there is also a recipe to smelt bottled salt water to get salt. So when I throw salt water into the furnace, I get salt. The quest book says you can smelt salt water to get normal bottled water.
It does? Thought I removed that part. But no, salt water will only get you salt. As a general rule of thumb, if it gets you an unlimited supply of water it won't work in this pack.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
if you use a pot you can turn it straight into salt without wasting coal.

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
It does? Thought I removed that part. But no, salt water will only get you salt. As a general rule of thumb, if it gets you an unlimited supply of water it won't work in this pack.
Well, going by your general rule of thumb, (on 1.0.4), the aqueous accumulators give you infinite drinking water. All you need to do is place a ex nihilo barrel next to one and water gets dumped into the barrel. Once you get a full barrel, you can fill an empty bottle. Once you get a iron bucket, you can put two water source blocks next to the aqueous accumulator and it will produce drinking water faster. Then you can even upgrade from the barrel to a portable tank to store up plenty of drinking water. This is why I kind of felt like some of those quests teaching you how to get drinking water by boiling dirty or salt water in a cauldron were kind of pointless when I had infinite water already.

On another topic. Just a suggestion, but I kind of feel like the camel pack is a little bit OP too. I survived pretty long without even using it just fine because I didn't know how to use it, but once I restarted and used the camel pack, it was far too easy. Maybe not give a camel pack right away from the start? You can survive just fine until the first rain, and then all you need to do is mass produce ex nihilo barrels to capture tons of rain water to survive to the next rain.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Well, going by your general rule of thumb, (on 1.0.4), the aqueous accumulators give you infinite drinking water. All you need to do is place a ex nihilo barrel next to one and water gets dumped into the barrel. Once you get a full barrel, you can fill an empty bottle. Once you get a iron bucket, you can put two water source blocks next to the aqueous accumulator and it will produce drinking water faster. Then you can even upgrade from the barrel to a portable tank to store up plenty of drinking water. This is why I kind of felt like some of those quests teaching you how to get drinking water by boiling dirty or salt water in a cauldron were kind of pointless when I had infinite water already.

On another topic. Just a suggestion, but I kind of feel like the camel pack is a little bit OP too. I survived pretty long without even using it just fine because I didn't know how to use it, but once I restarted and used the camel pack, it was far too easy. Maybe not give a camel pack right away from the start? You can survive just fine until the first rain, and then all you need to do is mass produce ex nihilo barrels to capture tons of rain water to survive to the next rain.

1.0.5 removed the aqueous accumulators and wooden barrels. Stone barrel has its recipe modified.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
The camel pack is sort of a necessity. Try going without it. Drop below 80% hydration and the climate will kill you. Which means that if you are not paying strict attention at all times you can easily end up in a death spiral. There is a very fine line between fun and frustrating.

Balance is a work in progress. I think 1.0.5 is much better. FTb should update tomorrow.

SIerra Nine

Jul 29, 2019
This is a criticism, but please bare with me. It is absolutely meant as constructive.

I play Minecraft with my 13 yo autistic son. When he and I started this mod pack, he immediately asked, "Why did we crash land? Where is the rest of the starship? How long are we going to be here? Are we going to be rescued or do we escape ourselves?"

My answers were, "I don't know, I don't know, let's assume for a long time and perhaps the quest book will give us some answers."

Sadly, other than a cursory setting of the environment, none of the back story is present.

The quests focus mainly on basic survival. This is to be expected in such a situation, and they do an admiral job of walking players who would not know otherwise the basics of how to forage and survive.

Rather than continue the story line however, you have attempted to tweak the mods trying to remove every avenue to procure water.

Yes, this is an arid desert planet... but there is enough humidity for it to rain, to farm plants, to have really aggressive fauna come out at night and try and eat you or explode in your face.

I know talking about reality in terms of game play is silly, but if the above is true, the ability to extract water from the atmosphere is a certainty.

Rather than focusing on changing or removing recipes and items, I purpose that continuing the story line would be much more productive.

You landed in an escape pod. Once the basic survival quest chain is complete, the ship's computer has self repaired and restored enough power to radio it's position and status.

The main body of the ship crashed 8 kilometers away.

You now have to abandon your current site and make your way to the main crash site. You can only carry so much, and it is far enough way, especially with hunger and hydration issues, to discourage repeated round trips. Aqueous accumulators do not work while in backpacks, and you can hardily move a melon farm intact. You have to decide what to take, and perhaps as importantly, what to abandon.

Once you arrive at the main crash site there could then be a series of quest chains designed to mine or craft (!) the various necessary items to repair the ship and depart. From advanced metals and materials, fuels and coolants, air, power and it's storage... many, many quest chains are possible!

The arid nature of the planet makes hydration a constant concern, but it should be able to be over come. Perhaps the hapless player isn't given an Aqueous Accumulator, but if they get to the point they can build auto harvesters, they should be able to build water extractors.

I submit to you that you are already in a death spiral, trying to tweak and hon the first few hours to so restrict game play that the long term will not be enjoyable. Rather, concentrate on telling the story. How do the player(s) survive and ultimately leave their own private Dune? Rather than change or remove recipe after recipe, craft quest chains to explore the various included mods.

Again, this is meant to be constructive. You've made an excellent start, but I fear you are in an eventual game of brinkmanship trying to plug each and every "exploit", and in doing so you are fighting both game mechanics and in-game knowledge. Change too much and all but a handful of players will tire quickly rather than learn one off recipes for one map.

Allow players to solve the water issue. They then have to solve the pressurized air issue, the pyrethrum for rocket fuel issue, the cryotheum coolant issue, etc.

Build knowledge, rather than restrict options.

Respectfully,
Sierra

Reactions: MrZwij

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Can't say what Iskandar plans for the story, but consider the pack in an alpha stage.

NekoAli

Jul 29, 2019
I do like what Sierra said. I started a 1.0.5 map last night. I was bothered that when the rain started, I couldn't make a barrel to catch it. It seems a logical first step when it comes to gathering water. Instead saplings have become even more of a precious resource than before, since you have to manage new trees, crafting dirt and making water with them to not dehydrate early on. I didn't mind the Aqueous Accumulator with a tank trick. I didn't get that going until hours into the game, scrabbling to have enough water barrels down or crafting dirty water to get by. I didn't know you could use a barrel to fill up with water.

If I can suggest for future versions, bring back the barrels for composting. The materials cost for a stone barrel is just absolutely insane. If it's possible, turn off the rain. It is supposed to be a desert planet anyway, so rain is decidedly odd. Or make it so that rain that collects in barrels is salty. That way it can't be used for drinking water. Not providing aqueous accumulators at the beginning means you don't have to worry about the barrel trick trivializing water to soon. But we should eventually be able to 'solve' that problem. Otherwise it goes from 'interesting puzzle to solve' to 'annoying busywork'. Maybe change the requirements for the accumulators so they can't be built very early, and disable the faster replenishing when surrounded by water blocks. Acting as real atmospheric moisture condensers. Machine blocks needing invar and seared bricks means they are not early game material anyway. You need a serious infrastructure going before you can start producing them, and a lot of resources.

The nature and a lot of the appeal of FTB packs is setting up challenges for the players to overcome and expanding options. It feels good to start early game with a wooden pick, and then look back hours later at your automatic farm and smeltery set up. Water management should be an early game difficulty, like getting enough food. Eventually you should be able to 'solve' the problem, and only have to replenish your resource, so you can continue on to bigger challenges.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
More or less. There is a backstory. I've been trying to figure out how to get the backstory to the player without doing a text dump that no one will read. I will get it sorted.

Not all the quests were implemented. Basic survival is, and I'm working on the next sets. I'm done tinkering with food and water. Water is something that can be overcome. However, not in early game. Once you can get a harvester up, water will cease to be a concern. And then other things will kick in.

1.0.6 will feature a unified tech tree and a lot of new quests. There will indeed be a storyline, some of what I wanted to do wasn't possible, though, until yesterday with the new HQM.

Also, my intention was always to make thirst matter. That has since evolved. At this point, what I'm trying to do is get players to think, to be creative. No lava power means crucible spam from Agrarian Skies won't work. No infinite water or accumulators means you have to think before you place water somewhere. I've removed vanilla crops so you have to think about what food you will eat instead of making a huge wheat farm and spamming bread or toast forever. and so forth. This is not difficulty for difficulty's sake. This is let's do something different instead of being stuck in the same old rut.

Along the way I will be telling a story. The problem I have, right now, is I have to set up a lot of infrastructure to do so. I need the rest of my pack stable. And, for right now it isn't.

This pack is in beta, and fairly early beta at that. Please stand by.

Edit: Yes, I fully aware that the rain is an odd thing. However, as of yet I haven't figured out how to turn it off. Until I do, wooden barrels need to be gone and stone barrels need to be high enough cost to avoid people mass spamming barrels and solving thirst that way. Trust me, this wasn't my first choice.

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Setting up stuff in 1.0.5 to quench the thirst and hunger can be done in 30 minutes or less if you're lucky, without the use of wooden barrels or an aqueous accumulator. I've only used the fluid transposers twice, one to turn in a quest and the other one to show you can get water from it but it's not resource friendly. After that, it's somewhat smooth sailing to do the quests at your own pace. Hopefully more stuff is added as the story progresses in later updates.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
The costs for the stone barrels (1.0.5) might seem high, but after testing it's not that bad. It just means that you want to get a cobble generator of some kind going asap.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Yes, I fully aware that the rain is an odd thing. However, as of yet I haven't figured out how to turn it off. Until I do, wooden barrels need to be gone and stone barrels need to be high enough cost to avoid people mass spamming barrels and solving thirst that way. Trust me, this wasn't my first choice.

With optifine there is a way to turn off all weather in SSP or I think you can turn off water through NBT edditing

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
With optifine there is a way to turn off all weather in SSP or I think you can turn off water through NBT edditing

NBT editing would be great...outside the fact that it resets each time you sleep.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Vanilla mechanics. Each time you sleep, the time until it rains is reset. Which is why if you make a habit to sleep every night you'll rarely see any rain. Which is annoying, btw, becasue when I try to search for a way to disable rain almost every result ends up in two places. Command blocks, which is a no, and NBT editing which doesn't work.

SIerra Nine

Jul 29, 2019
This is not difficulty for difficulty's sake. This is let's do something different instead of being stuck in the same old rut.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. Removing wood barrels is difficulty for difficulty's sake. Might I suggest the rut is the nerfing of items and the removal of recipes rather than creative thinking in terms of quests and outcomes.

I can grow a tree, I can harvest it, I can build a few dozen different tools and other blocks from it, including a wooden frying pan(?!?) but I can't craft a barrel? Really?

You most likely will not be able to preclude rain. Nekoali suggested making rain water be salty. I'm not certain if you can change that game mechanic or not, but it would be a much better route. It makes sense internally to the story.

Given salt water, I can boil it, collect the steam, condense it and have potable water. And salt, by the way. It's a fairly basic survival skill. Given the amount and infrequency of rain, it is hardly an infinite water source. Indeed, not being prepared for rain would very likely be fatal, given our storyline.

I don't mean to be overly argumentative, but your zeal to limit water is to me, at least, overly obsessive .

Change water in a wooden barrel to salt water, and permit that salt water to be transformed, at a cost, to potable water, and you have more or less defeated 'infinite water' is a measured, reasonable way in the early game. By mid-game, if the player can't produce water pretty much on demand...