[1.6.2][WIP] Luma - A Lighting Mod For Forge

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
Luma - A lighting Mod for Forge
header.jpg

Luma is a mod for Minecraft Forge all about Lighting.
It's in a very early stage right now, but expect it to grow a lot over the next months.

Current version: 0.2.2 (MC 1.6.2 Forge 9.10.0.804) direct download

Changes in this version:
  • [NEW] Added colored Fixtures
  • [FIX] Moved Fixtures down a bit when displayed as Inventory Items
  • Optimised render code
  • Changed standard starting IDs (Block: 3750 / Item: 12050) - can be changed in the config file

Changelog:
0.2.2 - 2013-09-04
- [NEW] Added colored Fixtures
- [FIX] Moved Fixtures down a bit when displayed as Inventory Items
- Optimised render code
- Changed standard starting IDs (Block: 3750 / Item: 12050) - can be changed in the config file

0.2.1 - 2013-09-01
- [NEW] Added custom tab "Luma" to creative mode inventory. All Luma blocks/items moved there
- [NEW] New custom Renderer for Luma Lamps / Multilamps. disables Shading and makes the lamps glow more
- [NEW] Added Debug Item only accessible in creative mode/NEI. Shows information in chat about the block that was right clicked. Will probably be removed at v1.0
- [FIX] "Off"-states of blocks were shown in NEI. Fixed by disabling them using the NEI API
- [FIX] Tweaked bar textures for caged lamps

0.2.0 - 2013-08-27
- [NEW] New Block: Luma Fixtures (only white for now)
- [FIX] Corrected Textures for Multilamp - No longer has strange artifacts in corners
- More internal code cleanup

0.1.1 - 2013-08-19
- [FIX] Levers can now be placed directly on lamps
- Transferred code to GIT repository
- Internal code cleanup / refactoring

0.1.0 - 2013-08-18
- First Release

Current features:
  • Luma Lamps:
    Dyeable Lights, designed to provide a clean, almost industrial looking light source.
    Luma Lamps output the maximum possible light level and are powered by redstone. They come in normal and inverted varieties, as well as plain and caged versions.

Screenshot:
    LumaLamps.jpg
    Recipes:
    Luma Lamp
    LumaLamp.png
    Caged Luma Lamp
    CagedLumaLamp.png
    Inverted Luma Lamp
    InvertedLumaLamp.png
    Inverted Caged Luma Lamp
    InvertedCagedLumaLamp.png
  • Luma Fixture
    Luma Fixtures are wall (and floor/ceiling) mountable lamps, powered by redstone. They come in caged and inverted versions.
    Their placement behaviour corresponds to torches. That means, if the block they're placed on is destroyed, they will drop as items.
    Comes in all 16 colors (color white with dyes, like wool)

Screenshot:
    Fixtures.jpg
    Recipes:
    Luma Fixture (4x)
    LumaFixture.png
    Inverted Luma Fixture (4x)
    InvertedLumaFixture.png
    Caged Luma Fixture (4x)
    CagedLumaFixture.png
    Caged Inverted Luma Fixture (4x)
    CagedInvertedLumaFixture.png
  • Multilamp:
    Changes its color according to the strength of Redstone power it receives. This is especially useful when used with other mods like Computercraft which can output different power levels.
    It comes in a normal and a caged version.
    The Multilamp requires a new item called Chroma Stone in its crafting recipe.

Screenshot:
    Multilamps.jpg
    Recipes:
    Chroma Stone
    ChromaStone.png
    Multilamp
    Multilamp.png
    Caged Multilamp
    CagedMultilamp.png
Please let me know what you think. This is my first mod. I'm a programmer but a noob in Java/Forge API so please be gentle, I'm still learning
wink.gif

Direct Download of current version (0.2.2): direct download

More Information: www.kelmai.com/luma

Introduction Video:

Like my mod? Help me pay for hosting:

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Looks useful.

Combining this with MFR rednet cables, I can see some advanced control panel designs. Or a player-activated seizure bomb. Either build is equally useful.

The only complaint I have is that the blocks don't join well when they're different colors, creating a visual artifact.

Reactions: the_j485

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, MFR, of course! That would work great! You could do some interesting stuff with the wave generator...

I'm sure you're talking about the corners of the multilamp. I noticed that too, it's because of the bevel effect on the texture. I'll adjust that for the next release, so the dieamond shapes in the corners will look as smooth as the ones in the middle.

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
Update 0.2.0 released

Direct Download

Changes:
  • [NEW] New Block: Luma Fixtures (only white for now)
  • [FIX] Corrected Textures for Multilamp - No longer has strange artifacts in corners
  • More internal code cleanup

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Do you have compatibility with the Forge Multipart API? I could see a particular use of a caged blue light on a 2 x 2 box 3 high and containing a Dimension Door... but only if it can get centered in the middle of the intersection of the four blocks...

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have compatibility with the Forge Multipart API? I could see a particular use of a caged blue light on a 2 x 2 box 3 high and containing a Dimension Door... but only if it can get centered in the middle of the intersection of the four blocks...

So, it is bigger on the inside then? Sounds like a blue box. :D

Reactions: RedBoss

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019

I'm actually looking at this right now. Expect Multipart integration in one of the next releases!

Reactions: PeggleFrank

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't think that microblocks are supposed to be functional. Imagine the problems, you've got a lamp cover on one face, a computer cover on another, a computer monitor, a piston, and a glowstone cover on the other faces, what is that block supposed to do? What happens when you put a redstone block panel on the last face? Does the redstone panel give the computer and the lamp a redstone signal? And what does the piston panel do?

To be honest, I was surprised when I found that glowstone panels emitted light. I should try making a glowstone lamp panel, and see if that responds to a redstone signal. Do you think that you will be able to make your lamps into panels and strips and notches that turn on and off?

p.s. your mod looks really nice!

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that microblocks are supposed to be functional. Imagine the problems, you've got a lamp cover on one face, a computer cover on another, a computer monitor, a piston, and a glowstone cover on the other faces, what is that block supposed to do? What happens when you put a redstone block panel on the last face? Does the redstone panel give the computer and the lamp a redstone signal? And what does the piston panel do?

To be honest, I was surprised when I found that glowstone panels emitted light. I should try making a glowstone lamp panel, and see if that responds to a redstone signal. Do you think that you will be able to make your lamps into panels and strips and notches that turn on and off?

p.s. your mod looks really nice!

Thanks;)

I thought that the microblocks would just be decorative, without functionality/light emission. But since you mentioned that glowstone microblocks emit light, I'll have to look into that. Can't promise anything...

paperlord

Jul 29, 2019
This looks like a great mod, I really like these smooth textures on the regular luma lamps. I'd even go as far as to suggest you could replace the multilamp texture with a less-textured/smoother texture.

When I saw this thread, the first thing which sprang to mind was an old build I made with RP lamps.
It's a very narrow use case, but it did work extremely well with RP lamps. A bit less so with your mod.
As you can see in picture 1, the RP lamps light effect is a bit bigger than the lamp itself, making the stepped on pressure plates go inside the lights' boundaries.
The second picture where I tested the Luma lamps doesn't have this same effect.

Picture 1: Disco Floor with Redpower - If you run fast a lot of pressure plates are pressed!
2012-06-05_12.16.38.png

Picture 2: Disco Floor with Luma
2013-08-29_15.36.50.png

Now I don't know if it is possible to add a similar effect (it doesn't have to be the same solution as RP), but if you could the results would be awesome!
A side-note, when testing the mod in creative mode I noticed there is no separate Luma lightning tab yet in the creative inventory. This could be a handy addition.

These are the things I noticed in a quick test, there's no pressure on implementing them, I'm just giving some input. :D
Keep up the good work!

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the great feedback! It's always good to get constructive input! I was looking for some sort of smooth lamp without too much texturing on it. So why not just make a mod myself?

Yes, I know the RP lamps. They were (obviously) an inspiration for this mod.
I have been thinking about creating this "glow" as well. I just looked at the Tesselator and it's quite easily possible with a second render pass.
I wanted to do it somehow differently because i didn't just want to copy RP. But I think there is no better way to make the lights glow. So I think this will be added in one of the next updates.
I'll probably put an option into the config file to turn it off, because i'm sure not everyone likes this kind of thing.

I might put a cleaner texture on the multilamp at some point. I agree, it looks a little "busy".

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad you like it! Please post about any bugs you might find or ideas you might have!
I already said this in another thread about a similar mod "idea" (but your mod is done, and it seems awesome, the whole changing colors lamp is amazing), but I think that it woud be coo to have a special kind of lamp that iluminated a big area AND had somekind of special ability in that area (eg, put mobs on fire).

I would also like to see a lamp that instead of lighting things, it makes things darker. Although that may be very hard to find.

Anyway, keep on the good work!

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
I already said this in another thread about a similar mod "idea" (but your mod is done, and it seems awesome, the whole changing colors lamp is amazing), but I think that it woud be coo to have a special kind of lamp that iluminated a big area AND had somekind of special ability in that area (eg, put mobs on fire).

I would also like to see a lamp that instead of lighting things, it makes things darker. Although that may be very hard to find.

Anyway, keep on the good work!

I've been thinking about large area lighting. The Wrath Lamp from Factorization does that, but is quite "hacky" and buggy and can produce a lot of lag. Sadly I think the way this is done is the only way of achieving this. I think this won't be in my mod, unless I find a better way of doing it. Adding special effects in the area is an interesting idea and wouldn't be a problem (i think...)

The "Shadow Lamp" is a very interesting idea, I'll have to look into this, it might be possible!

KelMai

Jul 29, 2019
Update 0.2.1 released

Direct Download

Changes:
- [NEW] Added custom tab "Luma" to creative mode inventory. All Luma blocks/items moved there
- [NEW] New custom Renderer for Luma Lamps / Multilamps. disables Shading and makes the lamps glow more
- [NEW] Added Debug Item only accessible in creative mode/NEI. Shows information in chat about the block that was right clicked. Will probably be removed at v1.0
- [FIX] "Off"-states of blocks were shown in NEI. Fixed by disabling them using the NEI API
- [FIX] Tweaked bar textures for caged lamps

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
This is unbelievably cool. Especially the multilamp. It'd be cool if you could make some multiblock street lamp or something of the sort.

Reactions: dgdas9