1.6.2 Packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Quite a bit of quarried stone, and well, worldedit doesn't like mod stairs very well XD. Was originally built in vanilla, but still takes a while to update to FTB standards, especially the interior. Replacing the old-stone and netherbrick theme on the inside with something fresh, thanks to all the aesthetic blocks out there. Part of the reason I don't use microblocks anymore, the massive building I built on the Feed the City on ultimate is mostly gone now, thanks to red-power not updating. I guess ill figure something out when the time comes, there should be tools. Its in a highlands and prairie biome, so ill just have to replant all the barley. Same seed, same location. Should work out fine if I can convert all the blocks.

As far as private bases go? I'm fine with resets every once in a while, at least when new mods are involved. Gregtech has been exhausting, got all the way to a couple of IESU, and while fun, I don't think I want to go back to gregtech for a while. Tinkers construct looks neat, and I really haven't messed about with MFR much. Ill probably wait until 1.6 to play survival anyway, sounds like it will come in a few months at least. Always excited for new tools to play with.

Maybe ill go make a spaceship in a void age or something, sounds like a fun project. Wanted to do that with my current ultimate build, but it would have been a pain to transfer all the machines and whatnot.

Space ships/stations are super fun. I installed Galacticraft on my friend and my private server, along with a few others and have been working on a space station, and NASA type building. Also, there are multiblocks in the Unleashed pack.

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Id like to do a replica of the Starship Titanic from the hitchhikers universe, but I cant to seem to find any schematics, and I dont think the world height is tall enough. Its a gorgeous ship though, at least on the interior. Shitty game it was in though.
At least space stations are easier to build in minecraft than in Kerbal. That game pisses me off sometimes.

I saw the multiblocks, but Im restricting them to interior decoration and furniture now, maybe some outdoor decorations where needed. I dont think they would survive an update.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Id like to do a replica of the Starship Titanic from the hitchhikers universe, but I cant to seem to find any schematics, and I dont think the world height is tall enough. Its a gorgeous ship though, at least on the interior. Shitty game it was in though.
At least space stations are easier to build in minecraft than in Kerbal. That game pisses me off sometimes.

I saw the multiblocks, but Im restricting them to interior decoration and furniture now, maybe some outdoor decorations where needed. I dont think they would survive an update.

My current space station is a bunch of spheres with hallways connecting them up, it looks pretty rad so far. We loosely based it off of
star_trek_space_station.jpg

Reactions: Strubinator

Jaeden

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just make a converter.
Then go make a converter, all you people wwho complain about how they change it and having to restart your world over and over again... Make your own mod pack, THEY DO THIS FOR FREE.. For the public, im guessing if you made something this enjoyed by the people.. You would have the exact same thing happening with the people complaing that they have to restart over and over again.. So either live with it, or go make your own and then you dont have to restart..

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Hahah i am calm, just get annoyed by all the people who complain about that.. They do it for free.. so just stop complaining

Free or paid doesn't matter...feedback is feedback. It can be very difficult to soak in all the various kinds of feedback you get when you offer up your work to the masses, but it's still feedback, and if you see it repeated on a regular basis it suggests strongly that it merits attention.

In the case of mod packs updating and worlds requiring restart, it's a many layered issue that begins and ends with the players. The players like the mod pack scene, so they find one they like and they play it. They also like each and every new shiny Mojang throws their way with every major vanilla MC update that comes along, so they want to update to it as soon as possible. That means they want mods to update as soon as possible, and then mod packs. Then they get their updated mod packs with their one or two vanilla MC additions and what little the mod pack devs themselves had time to add to their mods between MC updates, and a month later Mojang throws down the next major MC update.

Round and round it goes, and because a very vocal segment of players NEEDS THAT FUCKING HOPPER RIGHT NOW, we're left with sort of a mess. Bugs all up and down the damn place. Packs that ship broken, players investing hours trying to track down the source of the instability in their world instead of actually playing the game, and a general feeling of ramshackle quality anchored by world reset after world reset. You'd better believe people are going to express a dislike for the state of things. And they've got as much right to voice that dislike (ideally with a reasonable level of civility) as the kids have to nuzzle mod dev scrotum for shipping yet another broken version of a mod that probably never worked all that great in the first place, but it looked cool and that's all that matters.

If it's new and shiny and you're twelve years old, cool > quality. For the rest of us, free or not we get tired of the same cracks showing up in the same places and nobody does anything about it because mod devs are some kind of religious entity. The players don't tell them to stop shipping alpha products, the players don't give the mod devs enough time with any one version of the game to sort out the persistent bugs, and the players just look to see if this new mod pack has more mods than the last one and if so, that's progress.

That's right, I'm putting on this players for having low standards, little patience, and a disturbing willingness to kiss the ass of anyone who keeps them happily occupied for the next 15-20 minutes. If people want better, they need to insist on better...free or not.

Robert Lung

Jul 29, 2019
For the millionth time old worlds will not be compatible on any circumstances and no idea when they will be out.

That happened because we didn't have RP2 in 1.4.7 onto 1.5.2 update, so they might be able to move up if they have the same mods or more

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Also, will the worlds made in the final versions of the 1.5.2 packs be compatible with the 1.6.2 packs?

Slowpoke said:
FTB Unleashed. (1.5.2) This is our new feature pack and is intended to provide an all round gaming experience that provides something for everyone. It is intended that worlds created in this pack will work with the 1.6 update although this is dependant on mod updates.

FTB Unhinged (1.5.2) This is a new pack designed in consutation with GregT. It is intended that worlds created in this pack will work with the 1.6 update although this is dependant on mod updates.
Direwolf20_1_5 (1.5.2) This is a pack that is based around Direwolfs current adventures on Forgecraft. It is unknown at this time if the pack will be updated beyond 1.5.2. (A new pack is planned for 1.6)

Hopefully that will answer the question.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It's intended. Not guaranteed. There will be incompatibilities, for instance Extradimensional Barrels are no longer present in the 1.6 version of Factorization, so you will have to transfer the contents to alternative storage such as DSUs before upgrading. Personally I will be pleasantly surprised if my Unleashed world can be upgraded to 1.6. I will probably do a world reset anyway, as there might be new worldgen (I'm still hoping that RedPower makes a re-appearance - and if it does but is not included in the pack, then I will try to add it myself).

Is anyone aware of any other Unleashed mods that might not be compatible with 1.6?

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
Its never guaranteed, but it is plausible. Thanks for the heads up on the barrels, we can ensure those are phased out before 1.6.
I also know forge have rewrote the liquids in 1.6 so any stored liquids will probably disappear (world lava and water should not be affected), however, i still feels its a small price to pay to update.

I was wondering if Project Red would be making an appearance in 1.6, seems to be pretty much complete.

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
It's intended. Not guaranteed. There will be incompatibilities, for instance Extradimensional Barrels are no longer present in the 1.6 version of Factorization, so you will have to transfer the contents to alternative storage such as DSUs before upgrading. Personally I will be pleasantly surprised if my Unleashed world can be upgraded to 1.6. I will probably do a world reset anyway, as there might be new worldgen (I'm still hoping that RedPower makes a re-appearance - and if it does but is not included in the pack, then I will try to add it myself).

Is anyone aware of any other Unleashed mods that might not be compatible with 1.6?

Just an update on these barrels, existing barrels will still be present, but new ones will be uncraftable.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
(Basically everything you said)

You can always do the work yourself.. The ftb team works for free... And they make a pretty damn good work! You have to keep in mind that they make packs, but are not magicians or fortune-tellers to know the id's needed in future versions of mods, and even so.. Mods change.

For example: From 1.5.2 to 1.6.2 thaumcraft will change, and i do not mean a "change" i mean a BIG ASS CHANGE. But probably azanor will keep using the same ID's but he will obviously relocate them, some items are changed so maybe where u had a crucible you will have a new ultra hardcore block if the id's are kept. And like that, with every mod out there.. Changing their ID's, making new blocks, deleting others... Or even shrinking them and using damage values instead of a ton of Id's..

So with that in mind you can do 2 things:

Create a new world, and enjoy all the mods from the start.. As they will all be update with new content to start with and play from the first day.

Or

Do the work yourself.. I've done it once. It took me an entire night, checking EVERY cfg, changin EVERY id that wasnt correct.. Some items changed their values so i didn't even knew how to make them the new ones.. Some others i done them wrong.. And some were simple impossible cause i couldn't find them in the nei bump.. And then, when i finished all that work and loaded the world.. What happened? Crashed. Badly. I had a backup and tinkered with the backup in mcedit for some hours until i realised that starting again isnt that bad.. So i just went and copy pasted my base into a new world. This is a game, not a house... In a week you can be again where you left. And you would also have enjoyed the new things in the mods! Just try it.. and if you dont like it, then just do the work :p change the Id's manually and see how it goes!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If it's new and shiny and you're twelve years old, cool > quality. For the rest of us, free or not we get tired of the same cracks showing up in the same places and nobody does anything about it because mod devs are some kind of religious entity. The players don't tell them to stop shipping alpha products, the players don't give the mod devs enough time with any one version of the game to sort out the persistent bugs, and the players just look to see if this new mod pack has more mods than the last one and if so, that's progress.

^^
This.

I'll take reasonable stability over shiny and new any day. For me, the sweet spot is not the brand-new MC version and beta mods, but the more stable MC version with stable mods and thus stable mod packs.

While the DW20 Forge2 videos are cool and all, if you pay close enough attention, there's a huge number of bugs, some/many of them causing server crashes. We don't see/experience that since DW20 edits the actual server crash and reboot out, but I guarantee you the average player would not be happy with server crashes, no matter how cool the beta of the new mod is.

As for the less severe bugs, DW20's Forge2 server has something perhaps only a handful of other servers have : the direct ear of the respective mod's developer(s). That means his server gets specific fixes much sooner. One should not expect such an experience in one own's 1.6.2 server with the same (beta) mods.

I am happy now on 1.5.2, and may start up another instance of 1.6.2 to take a sneak peek at what's coming up, but am not going to upgrade until things are fairly stable. If that means 1.7, then 1.7 it is.

As a developer myself, I find it best to give mod devs the space to do things right the way they think it should be done. The last thing they need is to be pulled between rushing the shiny and new beta and stablizing the released. They are almost completely incompatible. Let them do their (volunteer !) jobs.

lifeseeker128

Jul 29, 2019
It's times like this -- where I'm bored with current packs and want new ones -- that I sit back and do/play something else for a while. Never be a mono gamer; you'll be crushingly disappointed most of the time. :) Just let the mod devs do their non-jobs for free and be happy they don't charge for their works. In the mean time, I'll return to some classics or try building an updated FTB Unleashed pack with what's been released so far in 1.5; or even 1.6 if I'm feeling downright masochistic.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
1.6 Hunger mechanics are so nifty; I also like the Tinkers Construct feature that you keep hunger level on respawn; no early game suicides to refill hunger if you didn't responsibly climb Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Is there a 1.6.2 pack out with gt and all that?
Not that I am aware of. There are 1.6.2 builds of GregTech, which pair off with the experimental branch of IC2, but no mod packs that I am aware of incorporate it.

Of course, incorporating it yourself is as easy as dragging and dropping GregTech (and possibly IC2) in the mods folder of your preferred mod pack instance folder, so it isn't like it's rocket science or anything to add it on.