1.6.2 Packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
There is much truth in this statement. 1.6 hunger mechanics for the lose. :(
Personally, I think that adding that little extra incentive to gather food is a welcome one. Sure, it can be a royal PITA, but without it some mechanics of some mods don't have any real value.

Ziggy114

Jul 29, 2019
I find the amount of whining and pouting throughout this thread about how the major updates (1.2, 1.4, 1.5...) to FTB modpacks keep breaking worlds and forcing world resets a bit... surprising. It saddens me that this is the thanks some people give the FTB team for doing what they do. I realize it's probably only a small vocal portion of the fanbase, but even so...

Realize this - the guys who put together the FTB launcher and the various mod packs are separate from the mod developers. Do they try to work together? Of course, but ultimately each mod developer is entitled to do their own thing. The FTB guys are simply trying to make something that they enjoy (modded Minecraft) easier to install and therefore accessible to a much larger fanbase - in multiple flavours no less! Though it certainly wasn't impossible in the past, installing and maintaining a suite of Minecraft mods used to be kinda painful. Back when you had to first download and install forge and each mod individually and resolve item and block ID conflicts only to have it all broken by a single mod updating and reverting one of your configs back to default... it was trying at times, and it was a lot less appealing to update Minecraft versions because there was no question that you would be starting over if you did - it just wasn't worth the effort to try and save the old one.

Slowpoke and his fellow FTB developers should get a freakin' medal for the effort they put into this, and the fact that they put up with as much whining and criticism about their 'lack of communication' from the vocal minority as they do while still continuing to make this FTB thing better... I'm not a developer of any sort, but I don't think I would have the patience. Seriously, the only valid opinion when it comes to FTB and its mod packs is that it's ready when it's ready, and if behind the scenes changes mean that a world reset is necessary, well shucks I guess it's time to start over and explore a new world. The fact that FTB exists at all should be commended, everything above and beyond that is simply a bonus. Sure, there was Technic/Tekkit before, but let's not open up that can of worms.

The only thing you ponied up any money for in the first place was Vanilla Minecraft, which you are free to play at your leisure. Or you could try installing, configuring and updating the mods without FTB (i.e. manually) and resolving item/block ID conflicts on your own. Once you've done this and attempted to maintain it for a while maybe then you'll understand just how much effort goes into the FTB launcher and its modpacks. Somewhere along the way you may also notice how item/block ID config changes are rarely (if ever?) the core reason behind forcing a world reset between versions - usually there's some core back-end mechanic that has been changed in vanilla, over which the FTB/Forge guys have little if any control, that makes maintaining backward compatibility impractical if even possible. Heck, some of the behind-the-scenes revisions to vanilla have been specifically designed to make modding easier and more versatile, with the consequence of breaking the less efficient workarounds the mod devs used to have to employ. That's ultimately a good thing, isn't it?

I could go on, but I'll leave it at this: Stop whining about the minor shortcomings of something awesome that people are developing and letting you use free of charge. Update forced a world reset / broke some feature / removed some feature you liked? Boo hoo, welcome to the world of modded [insert game title here].

SatanicSanta, you rock.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
I find the amount of whining and pouting throughout this thread (here's looking at you, Xedearnal) about how the major updates (1.2, 1.4, 1.5...) to FTB modpacks keep breaking worlds and forcing world resets a bit... surprising.

I feel there are some salient observations in what you've had to say in this post. However, starting it out by calling somebody out specifically and using language to degrade them rather than to attack their stance isn't a laudable method for entering the discourse. I am saying this so you can be mindful that you're skating on an edge here when you make something personal like this. Calling somebody out personally like this tends to start the cycle of flaming that gets threads locked, as people drift from discussing the topic and instead engage on thermonuclear post warfare in defending their own names and dumping mud on "the other guy's" name.

Please be mindful of this in the future. Thanks. =)

Reactions: BanzaiBlitz

Ziggy114

Jul 29, 2019
I feel there are some salient observations in what you've had to say in this post. However, starting it out by calling somebody out specifically and using language to degrade them rather than to attack their stance isn't a laudable method for entering the discourse. I am saying this so you can be mindful that you're skating on an edge here when you make something personal like this. Calling somebody out personally like this tends to start the cycle of flaming that gets threads locked, as people drift from discussing the topic and instead engage on thermonuclear post warfare in defending their own names and dumping mud on "the other guy's" name.

Please be mindful of this in the future. Thanks. =)

Agreed, I should never have singled anyone out for negative reasons... that reference has been removed. I'll be sure to keep this in mind in the future.

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost