1.6.2 equivalent mod of OmniTools?

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
KingLemming's OmniTools hasn't been updated to MC1.6.2 just yet and I fully realize that it could be a few weeks before it is (which is just fine). I am wondering however.. is there an alternative mod I could use in the mean time? I am really starting to hate needing to carry around three different wrenches!

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
Force wrench works on most things

Actually the Force Wrench doesn't work in situations where you need to shift-right-click (for example, swapping the facing side of an IndustrialCraft BatBox / MFSU / whatever). Currently, since I am playing 1.6.x and OmniTools hasn't been updated yet.. I need an IC2 Wrench, a BuildCraft Wrench, and in certain circumstances a Yerta Wrench (from Ender IO). It gets even worse if I have Engineer's Toolbox installed (which thankfully I have removed as it is completely confusing). Things get even more confusing when you take Factorization into account.. or if MFR gets updated to 1.6.x soon.

So.. I'd love to find a single-tool solution. I'll check into the GraviSuite, see how the Gravitool works. Thanks for the suggestion!

hogahoga

Jul 29, 2019
Or you can carry an ender pouch with all the tools in jt[DOUBLEPOST=1380424142][/DOUBLEPOST]e="Vaygrim, post: 436820, member: 37139"]Actually the Force Wrench doesn't work in situations where you need to shift-right-click (for example, swapping the facing side of an IndustrialCraft BatBox / MFSU / whatever). Currently, since I am playing 1.6.x and OmniTools hasn't been updated yet.. I need an IC2 Wrench, a BuildCraft Wrench, and in certain circumstances a Yerta Wrench (from Ender IO). It gets even worse if I have Engineer's Toolbox installed (which thankfully I have removed as it is completely confusing). Things get even more confusing when you take Factorization into account.. or if MFR gets updated to 1.6.x soon.

So.. I'd love to find a single-tool solution. I'll check into the GraviSuite, see how the Gravitool works. Thanks for the suggestion![/quote]
I know.... I thought that you wanted a tool to move things not rotate

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
The big issue I have is that numerous mod packs have shift-right-click functions that are required, which I inherently cannot do when using the Force Wrench of DartCraft. Best example of this is changing the facing of blocks in IC2; if I want to change the facing direction of an MFSU I need to shift-right-click with an IC2 Wrench. Same goes for mods like Engineer's Toolbox where right click pulls a face plate off a machine block, while shift-right-click picks up the entire block. Combine this with the Ender IO mod, which introduces its' own wrench for adjusting / removing parts and pipes as well as adjusting the flow of pipes / power.

Honestly, just like everyone is moaning about the potential of Thermal Expansion getting its own independent power system ("Oh great, ANOTHER power system.", etc etc.).... I'm getting MORE sick of all the different tools I've gotta keep track of, heh. This is really the one piece of work from KingLemming that I miss MORE than Thermal Expansion: the OmniWrench.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if there was a core Forge feature for a 'tool' function. Have one for hammers, one for wrenches, maybe one for crowbars? Mod developers could call upon those specific function types when developing tools for this mods, meaning we'd only ever need a max of three tools for all mods. Would be nice.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I would love it if there was a core Forge feature for a 'tool' function. Have one for hammers, one for wrenches, maybe one for crowbars? Mod developers could call upon those specific function types when developing tools for this mods, meaning we'd only ever need a max of three tools for all mods. Would be nice.
That's what the item dictionary was for, but for any item (including ingots, ores, tools, nuggets, crafting components, other things (water cells?)...)
It was denied because "something similar might be in 1.7"

Reactions: russjr08

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing remotely similar to that is in 1.7. 1.7 just removes IDs, that's all. Plus at this rate 1.7 could be a looooong time from now.

Reactions: russjr08

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
That's what the item dictionary was for, but for any item (including ingots, ores, tools, nuggets, crafting components, other things (water cells?)...)
It was denied because "something similar might be in 1.7"

From the sound of it, we need to get a bigger community push behind this 'Item Dictionary' concept. I really think it could improve the lives of mod players across the board.

Reactions: mathjazz

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, the Gravitool is Awesome. Does all the cool stuff you would normally carry a bunch of tools around for.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it would be better if instead of an item dictionary, that seems to have been denied because of similar functionality making its way into vanilla, we had a toolbag that had an inventory of nine slots. You could put any tool into it(or perhaps a whitelist of certain tools incase there are issues with some of them). Then you could hold shift and scroll the mouse wheel to equip a tool, similar to how the powertool from Machinemuse's powersuits does it. Then with a tool equipped you just use it how you normally would and the toolbag calls the functions of the tool. Would that be possible I wonder.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, While I do like the omnitool for vanilla IC2 stuff (Gregs wrenches manage faces in a completely retarded manner, I still haven't figured out how they work) the concept of a tool unification seems to have a flaw. What if a modder WANTED you to EXCLUSIVELY use their tools as they have balanced their mod around or partially on the tool.
For example GregTech; He made it so his automatic machines can only be picked up by his wrenches that have limited durability becasue he's under the impression that moving machines require a cost.

Just say other modders took this approach. This would be incredibly stupid of course, but if enough modders opted out and or coded counter measures forbidding omnitool interaction we'd be back to square one many different mods with many different tools.
Sure KL could hack around the counter measures but this has caused 'friction' in the past that sane people would try their best to avoid.

Another example is Thaumcrafts wand, this has no omnitool interaction/ support and probably never will, but it is an example of a tool that the mod is balanced around.
If KingLemming was willing he could allow the Omnitool to interact with TC for creating crusibles, reclaiming golems, repositioning arcane bores crafting and make it store or not require Vis to operate. But this in turn would mess with the mods balance and in 1.6 it would screw with some core mechanics. So it's more tactful to not allow interaction that ant it just doesn't fit the theme.

If other mods decide to elaborate and balance around their mods tool, tool unification would just become useless.

Of course this is based on a lot of 'IFs', But it's a potential problem. That being said the omnitool is VERY handy for most tech mods in 1.5 mods and will be sorely missed in 1.6 an onwards.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Durability for wrenches isn't Greg, surprisingly, the basic bronze IC2 wrench has durability as well. That's why you want to move up to an electric wrench as rapidly as possible.

On the other hand, even Greg has made the concession to allow the RC Crowbar to share functionality with his crowbar. So it's only a matter of convincing the various modders.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
OmniTools solved tool balance pretty well in my eyes by requiring a DIAMOND as the central ingredient for the OmniWrench. (Shrug) It seemed to me that this was the perfect balancing point: YES the wrench replaced SO many other tools.. but it wasn't so cheap that you had it within the first 10 minutes of game play. In regards to the GraviTool.. it is extremely useful but only within the confines of IC2, unfortunately. I cannot make it work in several cases where I need a BuildCraft wrench.

KingLemming has said that the OmniWrench is not 'dead' at present, he is still considering how he wants to tackle it and may yet bring it out. Unfortunately until it gets brought back out, I'm still sick of all these specialized tools!

I like the concept of having a 'Tool Bag' item that you just stick all your tools into, and when you try to use it on something it just checks to see if you have the proper tool within the bag. That being said.. how are you going to put tools INTO the tool bag? Shift-right-click won't work as you'll need that function for IC2 wrenchs, Dartcraft Wrenchs and BuildCraft wrenches in certain contexts. Have another key binding that opens the bag up.. to put tools in it? (shrug)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if it is feasible to have a tab in your inventory that you can open like the knapsack but still have the toolbag in your inventory and be operated like I described earlier. Alternatively, it might be better to have it so you can open the inventory only when you are not clicking at a wrenchable hitbox.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if it is feasible to have a tab in your inventory that you can open like the knapsack but still have the toolbag in your inventory and be operated like I described earlier. Alternatively, it might be better to have it so you can open the inventory only when you are not clicking at a wrenchable hitbox.

OOH!
Shift-right-click in the air, and you open the toolbag. Shift-right-click on an object and you get shift-right-click functionality. That's a great idea! Very simple, very streamlined. But then the next question is.. how easy is it going to be to code a container that can check its contents against numerous separate tool APIs? Is that even possible?