1.5 will destroy our 1.4.7 worlds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ProGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I heard somewhere that updating to 1.5 would destroy our 1.4.7 worlds? Is this true?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't heard this anywhere. Care to share your source?

What I did hear was King Lemming jokingly (!) state something along the lines of wanting to intentionally break old worlds because it would make the porting process so much easier.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
It's an offhand comment made by KingLemming in one of Direwolf20's videos. To me he didn't seem 100% serious and was maybe just jesting but I don't know. Until 1.5 comes out, nobody will know.
/thread

PCPuddin

Jul 29, 2019
but even going from what king lemming said, it shows how hard it is for the mod devs to update their mods

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
It's an offhand comment made by KingLemming in one of Direwolf20's videos. To me he didn't seem 100% serious and was maybe just jesting but I don't know. Until 1.5 comes out, nobody will know.
/thread

It shouldn't destroy worlds, but yes - it would be much easier to update if we knew the worlds were all getting destroyed. Thermal Expansion has a lot of version checked patch-in-place code to try and keep things up to date as much as possible. At this point, there's quite a lot of it. I suspect I'm going to remove all of the patches for versions prior to 2.2.0 shortly.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't destroy worlds, but yes - it would be much easier to update if we knew the worlds were all getting destroyed. Thermal Expansion has a lot of version checked patch-in-place code to try and keep things up to date as much as possible. At this point, there's quite a lot of it. I suspect I'm going to remove all of the patches for versions prior to 2.2.0 shortly.
I wouldn't be too upset if you did make it break worlds tbh :p
"Oh you're really far ahead of the newbs on a certain server? NOT ANYMORE! Muahahahahaha thanks KL!"
but I'm just a sadistic cynic XD

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what the percentage of people that keep their worlds from one major update to the next and how many of us restart.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what the percentage of people that keep their worlds from one major update to the next and how many of us restart.

I had tekkit then early ftb beta, 2 worlds that I built a LOT of stuff in but considered them mostly "test" worlds.

When RP2 was finally released, I started my current world and have been working on it ever since. I even imported my old 2 yrs+ vanilla world as a mystcraft age.

What's the meaning of this "restart" thing??

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I would be for a restart. That way I can plow through as much of TC3 as possible then really get cooking on Railcraft. Right now I am lacking in the ore department.

Jammyjezza

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I'm having to play on a laptop which is not ideal.
I know how you feel, luckily my 4 year old dell laptop gives me 15fps with optifine. On the flip side it has made all my other games that render at 25+ look silky smooth