1.5 will destroy our 1.4.7 worlds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
indeed. I'd love to build my own, but I think I'll probs end up getting a prepackaged deal and maybe upgrade that as I need to. Right now I'm having to play on a laptop which is not ideal.
Damn man, nothing beats unpacking parts for your new computer which you're going to put together yourself. Plugging this here that there is an incredible experience as well.

I've built my own desktop thrice, but for some reason I keep burning myself on putting the MOBO into the case before plugging in the CPU and screwing on the fan :D.

Mobott

Jul 29, 2019
I think that if KingLemming is considering making TE automatically break worlds, it's going to be really unstable.

james_joyce

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they can so lightly decide to introduce breaking changes now that there are a lot of extremely popular YouTube channels featuring the FTB pack. Or at the very least, any decision to do so has more serious repercussions than it otherwise would. I guess this is the disadvantage being a modpack rather than just a mod - the modpack curators are at the mercy of each of the mod authors separately. Any one mod that chooses to do this screws the entire thing up.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Damn man, nothing beats unpacking parts for your new computer which you're going to put together yourself. Plugging this here that there is an incredible experience as well.

I've built my own desktop thrice, but for some reason I keep burning myself on putting the MOBO into the case before plugging in the CPU and screwing on the fan :D.

Don't forget the blood sacrifice. I've never put together a system that didn't demand blood before working properly.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I've played Minecraft with mods I installed myself, Technic 1.2.5, and now the various flavours of FTB. Its...a bit jerky, at times, and I do get random FPS dips, but not to the point where it makes it unplayable unless I start going insane with machinery. Running all this on a laptop that's about a year and a half old, and it wasn't one of the more expensive models, either. But, manages to run FTB and Guild Wars 2 decently enough. I have to tune down the graphics settings a piece, but honestly...that's not a huge issue, to me. I can have the prettiest graphics in the world, but if the gameplay sucks, I'm not botherin with said game.

As for 1.5 borking worlds, its possible. I'm sure that for vanilla, Mojang will at least attempt to let you keep your current worlds, mods on the other hand, are another beast entirely. But, like the graphics thing, starting a fresh map isn't much of a big deal, for me. Yeah, I'll miss my GraviSuit and bacon gun, but I'll get it back. With the apparent graphical overhaul Mojang did with 1.5, maybe I'll see a bit steadier FPS. Well worth the cost of restarting, if ya ask me. That and, hey, maybe FTB 1.5 will bring us some new toys to play with!

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
As for 1.5 borking worlds, its possible. I'm sure that for vanilla, Mojang will at least attempt to let you keep your current worlds, mods on the other hand, are another beast entirely. But, like the graphics thing, starting a fresh map isn't much of a big deal, for me. Yeah, I'll miss my GraviSuit and bacon gun, but I'll get it back. With the apparent graphical overhaul Mojang did with 1.5, maybe I'll see a bit steadier FPS. Well worth the cost of restarting, if ya ask me. That and, hey, maybe FTB 1.5 will bring us some new toys to play with!
You are the first person I've seen to take a totally positive view on this. I agree with you entirely, and I also really would like to see some performance boosts.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Vanilla will port fine, if there were problems (aside from bu-"features") we'd know by now.
Generally quite a few people like to keep worlds ticking over (my vanilla world I've been playing on and off for nearly a year and a half, my Better than Wolves world just passed one year), usually I'll consider a new world if there's a massive change in the modpack that'll break a lot of old stuff.

Generally most mod authors aim to keep old worlds working- FTB is no exception (generally all the main mods should carry across)- some things, like the old forestry farms- will loose their functionality- but the blocks will still physically exist so it wont screw over peoples worlds.

An update that will make worlds unplayable would be ok- with a GOOD reason, not just because an update is "hard to do" when all the other mods seem to port over just fine.

Reactions: OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Heavy is basically the server "IMRICHATHANYOUBITCHES" guy. But it's cool, he comes to my house and punches me sometimes :p

It's so weird hearing people talk about the server when I never see any of you guys O.O
May i ask what server you are talking about? Is it public, private, a group of irl friends? Whitelist? Applications open? :D