[1.5 and up]StellarCraft- Most of the FTB Mods (AND TE3!) on 1.6.4/1.5.2!

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
My turn to ask for help, again ^^

Today, after updating to 3.0.9a my server has been throwing tanctrums. It's crashing seemingly randomly, the only thing i have noticed on all the reports are the "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" error.

Typicly, i'd just have shrugged it off, saying it's as simple as that, server is out of RAM, however. I just a couple of days ago upgraded to 4GB at Pytohost. You might remember i asked a couple of posts back what people's servers were running at. I used to have 3 GB, which i could see on the Multicraft controlpanel that maxed out (and then crashing). But today, i had the controlpanel open on my secondary monitor while playing on the server, keeping an eye on it, and an eye on the game while i did different things in my game. And the odd thing is, it never maxed out on the controlpanel. Right after upgrading to 4GB, the RAM usage on the server slowly climbed up to 80-85%, but now after the update it's keeping down to a civil 50-60%, with the same two players online and we are just doing our normal stuff.

I've compiled a pastebin with the crashes, sadly it did not write a separate crashlog file, so this is pulled from the serverlog. As you can see, it's many different mods that get's the blame, one time it's mystcraft, another it's Railcraft. But it's always "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space".

http://pastebin.com/XhnzFMG6

I don't know if it's one of the mods i have added myself to the pack, but so far none of them have showed up in the log. But for all fairness, they are:
Galacticraft (core+base+mars)
Thaumcraft
Thaumatic Tinker
Thermal Expansion (cofh+base)

I'm a bit confused, because i have to admit, i'm a little suspicious that Pytohost isn't dedicating RAM to my server, and the controlpanel thus just shows that i'm using 50-60% of my allowed RAM, but not what's actually dedicated to my server. Don't really want to call them on it though, not untill i've heard a second opinion at least. I just moved there because their prices were like 1/4th of what i used to pay at Multiplay.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
My turn to ask for help, again ^^

Today, after updating to 3.0.9a my server has been throwing tanctrums. It's crashing seemingly randomly, the only thing i have noticed on all the reports are the "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" error.

Typicly, i'd just have shrugged it off, saying it's as simple as that, server is out of RAM, however. I just a couple of days ago upgraded to 4GB at Pytohost. You might remember i asked a couple of posts back what people's servers were running at. I used to have 3 GB, which i could see on the Multicraft controlpanel that maxed out (and then crashing). But today, i had the controlpanel open on my secondary monitor while playing on the server, keeping an eye on it, and an eye on the game while i did different things in my game. And the odd thing is, it never maxed out on the controlpanel. Right after upgrading to 4GB, the RAM usage on the server slowly climbed up to 80-85%, but now after the update it's keeping down to a civil 50-60%, with the same two players online and we are just doing our normal stuff.

I've compiled a pastebin with the crashes, sadly it did not write a separate crashlog file, so this is pulled from the serverlog. As you can see, it's many different mods that get's the blame, one time it's mystcraft, another it's Railcraft. But it's always "OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space".

http://pastebin.com/XhnzFMG6

I don't know if it's one of the mods i have added myself to the pack, but so far none of them have showed up in the log. But for all fairness, they are:
Galacticraft (core+base+mars)
Thaumcraft
Thaumatic Tinker
Thermal Expansion (cofh+base)

I'm a bit confused, because i have to admit, i'm a little suspicious that Pytohost isn't dedicating RAM to my server, and the controlpanel thus just shows that i'm using 50-60% of my allowed RAM, but not what's actually dedicated to my server. Don't really want to call them on it though, not untill i've heard a second opinion at least. I just moved there because their prices were like 1/4th of what i used to pay at Multiplay.

Any help would be appreciated :)
I would contact PytoHost, cause I have a similar setup on the exact same kind of server (minus Galacticraft and Thaumcraft) and I don't have that issue at all.[DOUBLEPOST=1385155993][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, why do you have both Gregtech AND Tinkerer's construct in the pack? I thought Greg said he doesn't want his mod in the same modpack as one that has Tinkerer's Construct.
This pack has had GT+TiC since before then. AND- I'm pretty sure it was mDiyo with the issues- and i think they don't exist (as much) now. Plus, next version (1.7) may not have GregTech.

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
I would contact PytoHost, cause I have a similar setup on the exact same kind of server (minus Galacticraft and Thaumcraft) and I don't have that issue at all.

Just made a ticket then. I bet they are getting really tired of me though. I had a ticket open yesterday too, since it seemed the server had run out of HDD space. :)

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
Just made a ticket then. I bet they are getting really tired of me though. I had a ticket open yesterday too, since it seemed the server had run out of HDD space. :)
Sorry you are having issues! Let me know if it's anything pack related... all I know is the 2 PytoHost servers that me and a friend own work great!

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry you are having issues! Let me know if it's anything pack related... all I know is the 2 PytoHost servers that me and a friend own work great!
They looked into it, but came back and said it was my jar. I've tried reuploading a fresh one, but it persists, i could see on the site though that you are working on a new version, with a updated forge. So i'll just wait and see if it helps.

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
They looked into it, but came back and said it was my jar. I've tried reuploading a fresh one, but it persists, i could see on the site though that you are working on a new version, with a updated forge. So i'll just wait and see if it helps.
Yeah, it should be out later today. Still doing testing with mod updates.

Edit: Did you get it fixed? If not, I can send the jar i use over to you

Last edited:

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it should be out later today. Still doing testing with mod updates.

Edit: Did you get it fixed? If not, I can send the jar i use over to you

I updated to 3.0.10, but it didn't solve anything. In fact, it's only gotten worse. We are down to 1-3 min of gameplay before the server crashes. I contacted pytohost again yesterday and asked them if they could write in the "-XX:permSize=128m" into the server arguments, as it seemed to help on my localhost test server, but the reply i got was that my ticket was sent to a senior tech, and that's almost 24 hours ago now, server is still as fragile as glass.

We have been talking about restarting, but the thing is we don't know what caused this in the first place, so we might just end up with the same issue in a month again.

Yes the problem is at your host they have to simpley add "-XX PermSize=128m" to the Startup script and its fine . this happens when alot of mods are running and when all those mods exceeds a certain point of memory that java does not like and then you get that error My host Fixed it within the hour . and i could play perfect without any problems since .

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
Yes the problem is at your host they have to simpley add "-XX PermSize=128m" to the Startup script and its fine . this happens when alot of mods are running and when all those mods exceeds a certain point of memory that java does not like and then you get that error My host Fixed it within the hour . and i could play perfect without any problems since .

Yup. Sadly, no action have been taken by my host as of yet. Starting to get a bit annoyed at them tbh. It is as simple as that, to add the line, but with the wait time,i'm beginning to doubt that they are doing anything, or if they just binned it.

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. Sadly, no action have been taken by my host as of yet. Starting to get a bit annoyed at them tbh. It is as simple as that, to add the line, but with the wait time,i'm beginning to doubt that they are doing anything, or if they just binned it.
So sorry to hear that. I wish I was able to help- but sadly I don't know what I could do.

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
So sorry to hear that. I wish I was able to help- but sadly I don't know what I could do.

I pressed the matter again, and today the normal guy responded and seemed to want to help. He showed me their start up script and asked me where i wanted the permsize argument to go, i replied with the script edited to include the permsize, and he told me to restart me server to make it take effect.
Code:
command = "{JAVA}" -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms{START_MEMORY}M -XX:PermSize=128m -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "{JAR}" nogui

However, it didn't take effect, the server crashed again as soon as i joined it, and when i forced a crash to get a crashlog, i could see that the argument was not there. Returning to the support guy, i informed him that the script did not seem to have made it to the target machine as i had a log showing it wasn't there.
After a while i got this message back:
Pytohost said:
the scripts is actually works on ftb base modpack. i not sure about modpack that you are currently using. better you ask your modpack author about this again

I'm at a loss with this guy.

I pressed the matter again, and today the normal guy responded and seemed to want to help. He showed me their start up script and asked me where i wanted the permsize argument to go, i replied with the script edited to include the permsize, and he told me to restart me server to make it take effect.
Code:
command = "{JAVA}" -Xmx{MAX_MEMORY}M -Xms{START_MEMORY}M -XX:PermSize=128m -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar "{JAR}" nogui

However, it didn't take effect, the server crashed again as soon as i joined it, and when i forced a crash to get a crashlog, i could see that the argument was not there. Returning to the support guy, i informed him that the script did not seem to have made it to the target machine as i had a log showing it wasn't there.
After a while i got this message back:

I'm at a loss with this guy.

Oke do you have an Webbased server administration ? like McMyAdmin then i could tell exactly where they have to put it or even you ,
Append -XX:MaxPermSize=128m the 'Java.CustomOpts=' line inside McMyAdmin.conf

oke i see pytohost is using multicraft
if you use FTP you will see a file that is called exactly as your jar file but then with a .conf at the end Download it and check if it is added . if not support ticket or adjust it yourself and upload it .

Last edited:

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
Oke do you have an Webbased server administration ? like McMyAdmin then i could tell exactly where they have to put it or even you ,
Append -XX:MaxPermSize=128m the 'Java.CustomOpts=' line inside McMyAdmin.conf

oke i see pytohost is using multicraft
if you use FTP you will see a file that is called exactly as your jar file but then with a .conf at the end Download it and check if it is added . if not support ticket or adjust it yourself and upload it .
They do use Multicraft, but i just connected to the server and checked, there is no .conf file matching your description. And i don't see any options in the control panel to do so.

I've just about given up on Pytohost, because they way i see it, the problem is on their end, and I've supplied them with the information needed to resolve it, but they, or at least this representative is not being of any help. The quote in my last post is a direct quote, his language really is that bad in all tickets I've had answered by him. Doesn't feel very professional to me. I might go make a post in their advertisement thread on the MC forum, and hope that another representative gets through and fixes the problem. Otherwise, I'll be back out in the market, looking for a new host.

On that subject, anyone got any good recommendations for a relatively cheap host (student budget), that either knows their stuff and are willing to help, or at least give you access to fix things on your own?

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
Looks really nice! Definitely an improvement!

One question
"multiple versions of SC". So where is SC1? (not that I'd use it, just asking)
Yeah... I may add info on SC1- but being as we used mods that couldn't be distributed to the public (XyCraft), we can't allow downloads.

Shadowsilver

Jul 29, 2019
New site looks great :)

I also got my server back up now, gave up on Pytohost after i contacted them on mail, and they responded by closing my ticket. So i've rented a VPS instead for almost the same ammount of money, and then i'm running a TS server of the side too, and got full acces to the MC server :)

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
New site looks great :)

I also got my server back up now, gave up on Pytohost after i contacted them on mail, and they responded by closing my ticket. So i've rented a VPS instead for almost the same ammount of money, and then i'm running a TS server of the side too, and got full acces to the MC server :)
Glad you got something worked out, sorry that PytoHost didn't work. I've been having trouble contacting them recently as well, not sure what to do. I like the server I'm getting from them, so...