1.5.2 pack..

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I could not for the life of me get past the 2nd book.

But Good Omens was nice.
I think I remember you mentioning that you didn't like how the author always brought Richard down or something like that?

idk, I love it. Probably my favourite book series of all time. Second would probably be A Song of Ice and Fire. Can't wait for the next book :D

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I think I remember you mentioning that you didn't like how the author always brought Richard down or something like that?

idk, I love it. Probably my favourite book series of all time. Second would probably be A Song of Ice and Fire. Can't wait for the next book :D
ya waiting for the 5th one to go to paperback

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
ya waiting for the 5th one to go to paperback
I have them all in paperback. I do prefer reading hardback, but I always throw away the plastic/paper sheet, that just annoys the shit outta me. But tbh, I feel it's less about the delivery method and more about the words. I've read books on my phone (iPhone 4) on my laptop, paperback, hardback... it really doesn't matter.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I need to pick Xanth back up. I stopped reading that like a decade ago but I really should go back it was a wonderful series and I think it has doubled in size since then.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently listening to the audiobook of 14 (Peter Clines).
I totally guessed
Nicola Tesla
maybe a minute before they figured it out :D :D :D I feel so clever. Also parts of it feel a bit Minecrafty.
I've also enjoyed listening my way through the Honorverse (David Weber + a few other contributors). Some of the books are over 24 hours long! (The main series I already read in paper format though I still haven't read the latest book (A Rising Thunder) even though I've had it for about a year - I want to finish all the other audiobooks first.
I also enjoyed the audiobooks of Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Reamde (Neal Stephenson).
I'm also listening to about a dozen C.S. Lewis books (nonfiction ones). And I have a whole lot of other stuff either finished or to read at some point. (Audible keeps having sales so I keep spending money to save money :p) This includes a bunch of titles by Robert J. Sawyer, John Scalzi, Alastair Reynolds, and Ted Dekker. I also recommend Illusion, written and narrated by Frank Peretti.
Wait, why are we even talking about audiobooks?

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
Best I've read lately are The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Avidly awaiting #3.

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
currently reading (for the second time) the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Atm I'm on the 9th of 11 books.
I've read the series twice... i just cannot get past the horrible ending... like... omfg it was so so bad...ruined the entire series which was a shame because with the exception of 2 books, it was an excellent series.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I've read the series twice... i just cannot get past the horrible ending... like... omfg it was so so bad...ruined the entire series which was a shame because with the exception of 2 books, it was an excellent series.
I don't know I quite enjoyed it. Which 2 did you not like? (Pillars of Creation would probably be my least favourite)[DOUBLEPOST=1369366494][/DOUBLEPOST]
1.5.2 is going to have a lot of books in it eh?
bibliocraft, mystcraft, tinkers construct, thaumcraft, ars magicka, vanilla

yeah you could say that.

Reactions: DarkWasp

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know I quite enjoyed it. Which 2 did you not like? (Pillars of Creation would probably be my least favourite)[DOUBLEPOST=1369366494][/DOUBLEPOST]

yeah you could say that.
I'd have to bust out the list of the books to see what the 2nd one i didnt like, you nailed the first with Pillars of creation tho... if i recall, that book can be summerized up with a sentance and a half? "He has a sister and she has a special ability i wont list for spoilers" the end... lol

However, i will say... ugh lemme get the list... lol...

Faith of the Fallen... was probably... the best fantasy book... i've ever read... in my entire life... Yeah i must of been on crack i dont see the second book hahaha so it was just the one. I dont really think i enjoyed that last 3 all that much... So ... Faith of the Fallen was kinda like... the epitome of best shit ever and then it was all just a slight downhill from there to me.... <sigh> i kinda feel like re-reading them again now![DOUBLEPOST=1369366789][/DOUBLEPOST]side note, i thought slowpoke said he wasnt going to be adding Ars Magicka due to "annoying world gen" ... which if u played it? i totally agree with him, or whomever said it. The enemies that spawn early game are just blasting annoying... i seem to recall even the creator of the mod stating that hes going to be doing some "Serious re-working" on the world gen.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
strangely one of my favorite books was called "for the love of mother-not" found it on my nook and realised theirs a whole series pretty good read

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'd have to bust out the list of the books to see what the 2nd one i didnt like, you nailed the first with Pillars of creation tho... if i recall, that book can be summerized up with a sentance and a half? "He has a sister and she has a special ability i wont list for spoilers" the end... lol

However, i will say... ugh lemme get the list... lol...

Faith of the Fallen... was probably... the best fantasy book... i've ever read... in my entire life... Yeah i must of been on crack i dont see the second book hahaha so it was just the one. I dont really think i enjoyed that last 3 all that much... So ... Faith of the Fallen was kinda like... the epitome of best shit ever and then it was all just a slight downhill from there to me.... <sigh> i kinda feel like re-reading them again now!

Faith of the Fallen was where Richard was kidnapped by Nicci right? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a freakin' epic book.
Pillars was such a let down. You get so into the characters of Richard and Kahlan and Cara and after Faith, Nicci too... and they spend 90% of the book narrating from the point of view of Oba and Jensen, two very unremarkable and very boring characters.
I haven't read Omen Machine ever, yet. Will have to read that one when I've finished this readthrough.

[DOUBLEPOST=1369366789][/DOUBLEPOST]side note, i thought slowpoke said he wasnt going to be adding Ars Magicka due to "annoying world gen" ... which if u played it? i totally agree with him, or whomever said it. The enemies that spawn early game are just blasting annoying... i seem to recall even the creator of the mod stating that hes going to be doing some "Serious re-working" on the world gen.
Well then KirinDave has done a marvelous job on the configs because I have not at all been unimpressed with Ars worldgen. The ONLY sticking point I can think to bring up is the ice squares in the ocean are pretty lame.. but who the fuck spends time in Minecraft oceans anyway..?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know I quite enjoyed it. Which 2 did you not like? (Pillars of Creation would probably be my least favourite)

The entire thing was a lame Libertarian screed. It got really weird, which was too bad because book one started so strong. Then it was basically a dude giving you a libertarian lecture with dragons. I kept expecting The Sorceress Rand to show up and help Richard dispense knowledge.

You know what I'm waiting for? Desperately? The sequel to Way of Kings. Really intense book. I was totally riveted the entire read. Oh, and doesn't Black Prism get a sequel soon, too?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
GT manual!
Well then KirinDave has done a marvelous job on the configs because I have not at all been unimpressed with Ars worldgen. The ONLY sticking point I can think to bring up is the ice squares in the ocean are pretty lame.. but who the fuck spends time in Minecraft oceans anyway..?
Agreed! And yeah I saw one of those ice squares :p

-ED, definitely not spending time in oceans, nope not at all.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

yeah Since was unable to get a Mod list form him I've been digging around the folders reverse engineering his mod pack to figure out what is loaded.

And I spend time in oceans hell I might have to go be an underwater hermit when I figured this thing out and jump on there just to spire you now.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm re-reading Emma by Jane Austen.

Only real reason is because it was a free download from the Play store.

DerHeiligste

Jul 29, 2019
...with the exception of 2 books, it was an excellent series.

Which 2 did you not like? (Pillars of Creation would probably be my least favourite)

...you nailed the first with Pillars of creation ... Faith of the Fallen... was probably... the best fantasy book... i've ever read...

That's funny to me, because I also liked the whole series with the exception of two books, and Faith of the Fallen was one of the two that I really disliked. It's a ham-fisted attack on a straw-man of communism. It wasn't as bad, though, as the ridiculous farce of an argument against pacifism that was Naked Empire. I think Temple of the Winds was supposed to be a libertarian send-up of Bill and Hillary Clinton, but it was so far off the mark that it wasn't even offensive :)

It's funny because I have actually been a member of the Libertarian Party (not currently affiliated), so I should probably like his more philosophical books the most, but he just lays the arguments out so poorly ...