1.12.2 Power Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I meant just a tower of energy cells, in on the left and out on the right. It should draw equally from them all that way.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
See now, even then, this isn't a true mass RF storage solution. Chain your Energy Cells in a line, and one could potentially drain faster than another, thus leaving some of your machines starved for power while others are just fine. I really wish TE would add an in&out mode to them instead of just in or out or off.

If oriented correctly i feel as if they could all drain in line but there would be no way to verify it outside of eyeballing it

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I am likely going to have to go with the Matrix or the energy Cube. Because I will need to transfer large amounts of RF. The 25k the top Tier Energy cell does or the power cell from rftools isn't going to be enough especially if I have more than one laser drill going

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're running a Laser Drill then, there's a couple options. One is surrounding the chargers with Enderium Energy Cells, the other is surrounding it with Power Cells, linked together, which means each one can output it's full power to the chargers. Which is more expensive, but there you are.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
If you're running a Laser Drill then, there's a couple options. One is surrounding the chargers with Enderium Energy Cells, the other is surrounding it with Power Cells, linked together, which means each one can output it's full power to the chargers. Which is more expensive, but there you are.

Many options indeed

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Also now that I'm recalling, RFTools Power Cells output per face. So the Mid-level ones are 5k/t/face. Which means 30k/t if you've all faces connected. Of course only Cryotheum ducts can push that much to my knowledge.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I meant just a tower of energy cells, in on the left and out on the right. It should draw equally from them all that way.
Based on the way the cryo-stabilized fluxducts work, I would suspect this form of parallel cell storage would work fine and drain equally rather than on a "nearest first" basis. Not sure it would work with any of the lower tiers though. What I can do is give it a go on creative next time I'm playing Horizons, and I can let you know.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I don't know that it would matter what tier, but I'm pretty sure Cryoducts are the only ones that can push the power through because they can handle the connections. I'd have to check the previous tiers, but I'm fairly certain they can only handle one cell of output per duct.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't know that it would matter what tier, but I'm pretty sure Cryoducts are the only ones that can push the power through because they can handle the connections. I'd have to check the previous tiers, but I'm fairly certain they can only handle one cell of output per duct.
Yeah it’s not so much the tier as the behaviour of the cryoducts, I was thinking.

UPDATE:

So it turns out not so much! I set up a 3x3 system of resonant energy cells (3 wide, 3 high, 1 deep) connected up by cryoducts, and they did not fill up nor drain evenly! Weirdly, despite being connected so there was a plane of cells sandwiched between two planes of ducts (with cells set to no connections on any sides other than the inputs and outputs connected to the ducts) and the connecting ducts coming out of the middle of those nine on both sides (I should have taken a screenshot) there was a definite discrepancy in the filling behaviour between cells. Very odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTriaxx

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I do like my gas turbine setup that puts out 5k rf/tick ... but my farm can't keep up with it. Not sure how much greenhouse glass would help that. I'm having a hard time setting up Ethylene production as it is for building towards the fusion reactor, but I will take another gander at it. Typically I just go straight for some OP big reactor stuff, but don't quite got the infrastructure yet to do it right ... and a lot of stuff in 1.12.2 requires you tiering up to it ...

All this auto-crafting garbage is expensive, rf wise, almost 1k rf by itself.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but my trick for making stupid amounts of Biofuel (and thus stupid amounts of Ethylene) revolves around a bit of extra processing. Note that this was done in 1.10 in a custom pack, but I think everything you need to do it is present in your pack.

I farmed wheat using the AA Farmer. You'll probably want to go with Cloches if they're available, but method of farming is less important. Excess seeds were crushed into Biofuel. Wheat was sent to a Pulverizer, resulting in flour and occasional seeds. Again, seeds were crushed, and the flour was baked into bread. Bread is then crushed into Biofuel. All Biofuel was sent off to become Ethylene.

The trick is, bread gives substantially more Biofuel than other options, and the extra seeds can be used as straight Biofuel in a Biofuel Generator to power farming and processing on site, if you want to make sure Ethylene demand won't starve the system of power. If you use the augment to turn a Redstone Furnace into a food only process, you can actually get some free bread along the way as well, which only bolsters the process.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, don't forget that TE Energy Cells can be enchanted with the Holding enchantment to significantly increase the amount of RF capacity. However, it sounds like you are more interested in throughput than capacity.

IE's biodiesel generator kicks out 4k RF/t. Run it off of Melons grown in Cloches. Can probably get three or four generators running off of a single melon cloche. Expand as necessary.

Alternately, if you have Extreme Reactors in your pack, you can set up a max size ER turbine, fed by TE boilers. Unless something has happened since the last time I played with the mod, you just need 2k mB/t to keep it maxed out, which should be roughly 8-10ish Enderium Compression Dynamos with boiler upgrades that you can feed with Tree Oil from my previous passive setup.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Also, don't forget that TE Energy Cells can be enchanted with the Holding enchantment to significantly increase the amount of RF capacity. However, it sounds like you are more interested in throughput than capacity.

IE's biodiesel generator kicks out 4k RF/t. Run it off of Melons grown in Cloches. Can probably get three or four generators running off of a single melon cloche. Expand as necessary.

Alternately, if you have Extreme Reactors in your pack, you can set up a max size ER turbine, fed by TE boilers. Unless something has happened since the last time I played with the mod, you just need 2k mB/t to keep it maxed out, which should be roughly 8-10ish Enderium Compression Dynamos with boiler upgrades that you can feed with Tree Oil from my previous passive setup.

The 9 trees I had setup wasn't enough to keep up with my power demands. I do got an actively cooled big reactor that runs as needed to power my mekanism turbine. It churns out approximately 85-95k on demand. I also turned some of my miners off, as I'm starting to get resource heavy atm.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, no need to guild a lilly with trying to get the compression dynamos to produce steam. Each one produces like 480 RF/t, so having a dozen or so on the previously mentioned tree oil setup still produces like 5-6k RF/t

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Also, no need to guild a lilly with trying to get the compression dynamos to produce steam. Each one produces like 480 RF/t, so having a dozen or so on the previously mentioned tree oil setup still produces like 5-6k RF/t
This is good to know - so is the boiler conversion only really worth it for the steam dynamos?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't think the boiler conversion is worth anything anymore, not since they quartered the amount of steam coming from it with the latest patch.
Oh man :( I was using a steam dynamo with one as some very early game power - sounds like I might as well have used the single augment slot I added for something else!

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I got a big reactor setup to supply 2 turbines. It can supply one just fine, however when I turn the 2nd turbine on, I can't seem to pump water into the reactor fast enough.

I got 16 magical speed upgrades in each of 3 transfer nodes that are connected to infinite water sources. A bit lost as to why it won't go in fast enough, when back in 1.10 and 1.7 it was always fast enough will a lot less.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
As far as I know, the maximum in/out speed is limited to 2000mb/t total. Though it might be per fluid in/out.

Do you mean that the maximum input is 2000 millibuckets per tick per port? So do you reach my reactors potential of $28,000 buckets I would need 14 of them?