1.12.2 Power Generation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Derp - I didn't twig that's what the wood was being used for, I thought it was just general wood production to be turned into charcoal or something! Sorry @ShneekeyTheLost, that's my bad.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
@ShneekeyTheLost

I set up a mek turbine. I currently got a 5x5x8 setup that produces about 10.5k rf. Has 8 dispersers, 8 vents, 8 blades, and 9 coils. This produces 10.4k rf/t, has a flow rate of 910 mb/t. Capacity is 6,400,000 mb, and Max Flow is 128,000.0 mb/t.

Now the current internal storage is approximately 1.28 GRF which is a lot to have in reserve, but I can't help to think that the setup could be more efficient, allowing more rf/t. Also, not sure what the max size is, or a setup for it. Definitely need more steam if that's the bottleneck for the turbine. Got any thoughts?

Also, I am not generating tree oil fast enough to keep the engines full. I am currently adding a few more trees, and another fractionating still

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
@ShneekeyTheLost

I did some testing. I set a passively cooled Big Reactor up. It seems to work better with Aqueous Accumulators, than with Fluid Transfer Nodes. I have 1 reactor coolant port set up. I also did these in multiples of 10

10 = 30k
20 = 58k
30 = 85k
40 = 114k
50 = 137k

Each 10 seems to add approximately 1k to the flow rate, and afaik is infinitely scalable. There are minor gains in rf/tick if you put no more than 10 AA's per coolant port, but is negligible. Also, running through a refined storage network drops the generation rate by about 95% ... so it has to go directly into the reactor. I'm just not sure from a lag perspective if dozens of AA's is feasible to do. Lastly there'd have to be an efficient design for this yes?

Once the internal buffer is filled, it shuts down and stores the steam, so it wouldn't be running constantly.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
@ShneekeyTheLost

I set up a mek turbine. I currently got a 5x5x8 setup that produces about 10.5k rf. Has 8 dispersers, 8 vents, 8 blades, and 9 coils. This produces 10.4k rf/t, has a flow rate of 910 mb/t. Capacity is 6,400,000 mb, and Max Flow is 128,000.0 mb/t.

Now the current internal storage is approximately 1.28 GRF which is a lot to have in reserve, but I can't help to think that the setup could be more efficient, allowing more rf/t. Also, not sure what the max size is, or a setup for it. Definitely need more steam if that's the bottleneck for the turbine. Got any thoughts?

Also, I am not generating tree oil fast enough to keep the engines full. I am currently adding a few more trees, and another fractionating still
Yea, apparently a recent patch halved the amount of steam produced per turbine, so it is no longer viable anymore.
@ShneekeyTheLost

I did some testing. I set a passively cooled Big Reactor up. It seems to work better with Aqueous Accumulators, than with Fluid Transfer Nodes. I have 1 reactor coolant port set up. I also did these in multiples of 10

10 = 30k
20 = 58k
30 = 85k
40 = 114k
50 = 137k

Each 10 seems to add approximately 1k to the flow rate, and afaik is infinitely scalable. There are minor gains in rf/tick if you put no more than 10 AA's per coolant port, but is negligible. Also, running through a refined storage network drops the generation rate by about 95% ... so it has to go directly into the reactor. I'm just not sure from a lag perspective if dozens of AA's is feasible to do. Lastly there'd have to be an efficient design for this yes?

Once the internal buffer is filled, it shuts down and stores the steam, so it wouldn't be running constantly.
The reason running it through Refined Storage drops 'generation' is more a case of throughput than anything else. Other than that, I haven't played with Big Reactors since 1.7.10 so I wouldn't be prepared to say what exactly was or was not worth it. However, I think you'd get better results if you used Thermal Expansion to make steam and piped the steam directly to the Big Reactors steam turbine than trying to use dozens of AA's to feed it water, unless the balance points have been dramatically changed.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Yea, apparently a recent patch halved the amount of steam produced per turbine, so it is no longer viable anymore.

The reason running it through Refined Storage drops 'generation' is more a case of throughput than anything else. Other than that, I haven't played with Big Reactors since 1.7.10 so I wouldn't be prepared to say what exactly was or was not worth it. However, I think you'd get better results if you used Thermal Expansion to make steam and piped the steam directly to the Big Reactors steam turbine than trying to use dozens of AA's to feed it water, unless the balance points have been dramatically changed.

I'd have to see what the steam generation is to determine what did more rf/tick. I'll fiddle with designs to figure things out. I do know that eu2 doesn't seem to be an option for the water .. That or many of them would be needed with lots of magical speed upgrades. I'll keep you posted but if you get designs feel free to share em.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
AA's are pretty slow, so are ExU2's nodes. Personally I'd use Immersive Engineering Pumps, running through their pipes, because while they can transfer 800mb/t, they do it instantly without flow. Three pumps and three connections to the reactor should provide the full 2 buckets of water it needs to run at full speed. You should be able to do the same again out with steam, and get the turbine running up to full speed.

If you have Mekanism, forget about the internal storage buffers. You want to build an Induction Matrix, which is a very powerful multi-block structure that can store and transfer a LOT of power.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
AA's are pretty slow, so are ExU2's nodes. Personally I'd use Immersive Engineering Pumps, running through their pipes, because while they can transfer 800mb/t, they do it instantly without flow. Three pumps and three connections to the reactor should provide the full 2 buckets of water it needs to run at full speed. You should be able to do the same again out with steam, and get the turbine running up to full speed.

If you have Mekanism, forget about the internal storage buffers. You want to build an Induction Matrix, which is a very powerful multi-block structure that can store and transfer a LOT of power.

I can't figure out how to get the IE pumps working even though I have power, and a redstone signal going to them. Is the Matrix expensive resource wise? Cause while I have resources, they're not unlimited :p

Edit > Just got the pumps working as you described, and they can only churn about 4k and that's with coolant. That's using a 7x7x7 reactor to generate the steam.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Matrix is a bit expensive, more heavy on gold than anything, because you'll need a lot of it for the Energy Tablets. I've got one that's just a basic storage and in/out thing and that's something like 3+GRF storage. I'll check the exact number tomorrow.

Can you explain that last sentence? I am firmly confused by it.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Matrix is a bit expensive, more heavy on gold than anything, because you'll need a lot of it for the Energy Tablets. I've got one that's just a basic storage and in/out thing and that's something like 3+GRF storage. I'll check the exact number tomorrow.
You'll also need lithium dust if memory serves - while that's basically just from water and power, you'll need at least one Thermal Evaporation Plant set up, which can be quite expensive. If using one, you'll need to make a bunch of brine, then switch it from Water-->Brine to Brine-->Lithium, and send that to a Chemical Crystallizer via a Rotary Condensentrator (in decondensentrating mode).

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013

Can you explain that last sentence? I am firmly confused by it.

Its only producing enough steam for 4k rf in the mek turbine. So new values are off i thinks.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah, gotcha, you'd mentioned Extreme Reactors and I forgot you were using Mekanism turbines. Yeah, you probably need more turbines. I was expecting the 2 buckets/t of Extreme Reactors turbines.

@GamerwithnoGame I forgot about the Lithium, but usually copper is so ubiquitous that it's not a cost I consider.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@GamerwithnoGame I forgot about the Lithium, but usually copper is so ubiquitous that it's not a cost I consider.
That's fair. Its probably not as expensive as I think - my brain is stuck in Regrowth mode, and a lot of those recipes were beefed up in terms of cost. I will say that, as I discovered, it can be worth not using the advanced solar panels for the TEP, and instead generating the heat with resistive heaters - that way you're not at the mercy of the sun and/or biome for keeping it heated.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Indeed, though Resistive Heaters seem willing to suck up all the power I can feed them. I ended up having to disconnect the IE HV line I'd run into the two I was using because my power system couldn't keep up.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Indeed, though Resistive Heaters seem willing to suck up all the power I can feed them. I ended up having to disconnect the IE HV line I'd run into the two I was using because my power system couldn't keep up.
They are pretty power hungry, that's a fair point - and that might have been boosted up since I last looked at them, its also possible. There's a thought - can you put Energy Upgrades into them?

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Sadly no.

Also, I just tested and the smallest possible Induction Matrix will hold 400mRF(Million) using a basic Induction Cell.

I will work on Steam generation and let you know what I come up with. Not sure I have the resources for the induction Matrix but I will let you know. Are there any other mass storage for energy available in the dire wolf pack besides the Matrix and energy cube

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Draconic has it's glowy energy ball of doom. That holds stupid amounts of power and the first couple of tiers are almost entirely made of Redstone blocks, but I'm not sure the resource costs of the bits that aren't.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Draconic has it's glowy energy ball of doom. That holds stupid amounts of power and the first couple of tiers are almost entirely made of Redstone blocks, but I'm not sure the resource costs of the bits that aren't.

Is it pretty much just the matrix, and energy core for this pack? I feel as if there is something I am missing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
There might be others, though you can also make a custom multi-block of Thermal Energy Cells. I'm not seeing anything else that stores huge quantities of power.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
There might be others, though you can also make a custom multi-block of Thermal Energy Cells. I'm not seeing anything else that stores huge quantities of power.

See now, even then, this isn't a true mass RF storage solution. Chain your Energy Cells in a line, and one could potentially drain faster than another, thus leaving some of your machines starved for power while others are just fine. I really wish TE would add an in&out mode to them instead of just in or out or off.