Mod Feedback [1.12][1.11.2][1.10.2][1.8.9][1.7.10] Dynamic Surroundings Info/Support

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Maybe have different types of droplet noises if you are under a leaf block while raining to reflect occasionally getting larger drops fall on you through the canopy?

There is logic for a drop of water that falls and hits the ground. I had to purposely put in logic to ignore water drops coming from leaf blocks. The reason is that it sounded liked someone playing the maracas or castanets in your ear while standing in a bunch of trees during a rain storm. I do plan on revisiting this at some point - I have an idea to try out. (The leaf blocks do "sweat" when raining.)

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
When in MP, does the mod need to be on the server to see variations in rain and the sand fog/particles? I only have this clientside right now and I haven't done thorough test yet, but so far the rain always seems like the same intensity and I have never seen sand fog & particles in the nearby Mesa biome when it is raining.

If it does need to be on the server, what would happen if the client/player did not have it? The reason I ask is because I'd like for players to be able to opt-out if their PC is actually a potato with a keyboard.

Thanks for this awesome mod! I've been using it since Wirsbo was actively updating it, and I really enjoy how you have expanded it

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Yes, currently it is required server side. The server part deals with rain intensity and auroras. If indeed the players have potatoes they can turn off the fancy stuff in their configs.

As for the fog the player has to be *in* the Mesa biome to experience the effect. The particle effect is like the rain texture - as the player gets close to the biome dust particles will appear. The rain rendering code only renders those particles in a 10 block radius around the player.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the info. Just confirming my assumptions.

The desert biome stuff I don't see at all, even while completely inside the Mesa biome. I assume that is because the mod is not installed on the server, too?

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Yep.

EDIT: Just double checked myself to make sure. You will not get dust, variable rain intensity, or auroras without the server side support. You will still get the effects on normal rain particles and sounds.

Reactions: Greylocke
L

Leolele99

I had another idea for a cool feature: Morning Fog. So basicly in the Morning or after rain you have fog because of the water that evaporates. Would add an awesome feel on plains and near lakes and oceans ^^

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Fog tied to the diurnal cycle is on my list. Problem is getting fog to do what I want it to do. Fog is a tricky thing to get right. Also thought about ground fog (fog that, well, hugs the ground). It would be like the fog created by dry ice in water.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Hey OreCruncher, I have to say this provides a fekking amazing experience within the first few seconds of adding it.

I have some questions right out the door:
1 - Does this mod have support for non-standard Biomes (Like BoP)
2 - Is there any way to extend the range of Biome related sounds. I may be standing on one block just outside the Swampland, but I'd love to have the fog and sounds start building up before I cross the border. It just seems a bit too abrupt.
3 - This one is a special case, and I don't know how much you're able to talk to the server/map on this point. But is there any way you could have the sound of the ocean playing at increasing volume as you approach it from a greater number of blocks away? I should be able to hear the ocean from at least 1-300 blocks off or so.
3a - Could we add some seagull sounds into that ocean background noise? ;)

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
  1. Dynamic Surroundings uses a set of rules about the biome name to determine if a sound is attached to the biome. I have tweaked these rules to work with Vanilla, BoP, and ExtrabiomesXL. If there is another mod, like Highlands, that use names that are similar there is a good chance a name match will occur and the sounds will be attached. I do plan on going through additional world gen mods to ensure that there is appropriate biome support.
  2. It's on the list to work on. Would apply to biome fog as well as biome sounds.
  3. The problem with doing that is biome searching. It could get expensive especially at those ranges. Some of this will happen as a result of #2 but not at the range of 300 blocks.
  4. Here is the regex biome name rule for the seagulls: "(?i)(?!.*frozen.*|.*cold.*)(.*beach.*|.*ocean.*|.*kelp.*|.*reef.*)". This means that any biome that has the words "beach", "ocean", "kelp", or "reef", and does not contain "frozen" or "cold" will have the sound attached. There is a further refinement for the conditions under which a seagull spot sound could play: "(?i)(?!.*#raining#.*).*#day#.*". This means that it has to be day time and not raining. So in your example the seagull spot sound has a chance to play in an Ocean biome as long as it is day time and not raining.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for that very complete response!
Now, as for #4, I have to say it's incredibly unlikely that rainfall would have anything to do with Seagull sounds. ;) I'm from Washington State (USA), and it's famous for it's rain.... Seagulls almost seem *MORE* active during the rain.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
lol - I have been thinking about removing that restriction. Trying to recall my younger days living around Virginia Beach and whether those gulls were around during the rain. I definitely know they were around parking lots and garbage cans. :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Seagulls avoid the bad weather. I live about 50 miles from the coast line, and only ever see seagulls when there is bad weather at the coast.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
lol - I have been thinking about removing that restriction. Trying to recall my younger days living around Virginia Beach and whether those gulls were around during the rain. I definitely know they were around parking lots and garbage cans. :)

Small world! I lived in Virginia Beach for about 6 years (My first 6 years in fact). Yeah, the Gulls are really active rain or shine, but they're noisier in the rain it seems. Probably has to do with all the little beasties on the beach coming out in the rain.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Dynamic Surroundings 1.7.10-1.0.4.10 and 1.8.9-2.0.4.10 has been released!

Release Summary
  • NEW: Presence Footstep integration. Enhanced sound when walking around your world. Special mod support for Biomes O'Plenty, ExtrabiomesXL, Thaumcraft, Witchery, Forestry, Magic Bees, and Growthcraft CE.
  • NEW: Biome spot sounds. Special sounds will play depending on the player biome. Owl hoots at night, bison in the plains, rattlesnakes in the desert.
  • NEW: More blocks specific sound effects, such as bee buzz around bee hives.
  • NEW: Steam jets where water meets lava.
  • NEW: Dust motes can drop from ceiling blocks.
  • NEW: Player sound effects. These effects trigger based on action (crafting, bow pull, weapon swing) or condition (injured and/or hungry).
  • NEW: Configuration options for sound blocking and culling.
  • NEW: Weather in the Nether. When raining will get foggy, have red dust motes that fly around, and smoke particles will rise from the ground.
  • NEW: Potion effect overlay on the main player screen.
  • NEW: Configuration system so that modpack authors can configure additional block sounds and effects.
  • NEW: Automatic sound channel configuration. Increase the number of channels/voices the Minecraft sound system will use based on the capabilities of the underlying platform.
Make sure you back up any saves prior to installing this or any other mod update.

Reactions: Wraithflay

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
The problem that is trying to be solved is if a player builds a base in biome that has fog or fog like effects - like deserts when there is a sandstorm - they wouldn't want the fog on the inside of the building. So to solve that I created an "inside" biome. The way the mod determines the player is "inside" is looking in the 7x7 area above the players head to see if those blocks can see the sky. In the version you are using if 50% of those blocks can't see the sky, the player is inside. In the version I am currently working on if the area has to be about 60% in an attempt to address the issue of a player being outside a building but under an overhang of 1 block.

Would this be why when I'm standing in a rocky overhang, the sound of the ocean stops? :/ I do see the need for an inside biome, I even see why you're doing it that way, but it's kind of sad for this one particular piece of terrain. Glad I found out what it was!

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Hey OreCruncher, you might want to take a look at TmTravlr's Sound Filters, it contains some concepts that would play very nicely with yours. (Does play very nicely, I should say, given that I'm using the two in tandem)

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Would this be why when I'm standing in a rocky overhang, the sound of the ocean stops? :/ I do see the need for an inside biome, I even see why you're doing it that way, but it's kind of sad for this one particular piece of terrain. Glad I found out what it was!

Yep, that's why. This is something I keep pondering to see if I can come up with a better solution that is not too intensive in terms of processing.

Hey OreCruncher, you might want to take a look at TmTravlr's Sound Filters, it contains some concepts that would play very nicely with yours. (Does play very nicely, I should say, given that I'm using the two in tandem)

Yes, Sound Filters is a nice mod. I thought about including similar effects, but Sound Filters does a good job at it and it is still being actively worked.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I know, I'm friends with the mod developer. Tm I'd great people.

Also, about the inside thing... I'm no programmer, but I seriously can't think of a better way to do it that isn't going to require checking a bunch of blocks/conditionals. I think corner cases like this may just have to be allowed to exist.

Maybe corroborate with Tm and see if two minds can come up with anything? I know sound is kind of her 'thing'.

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Try this: Taper the external sound when the player is on the edge of the Inside biome.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2