1.10 unstable Aluminium (or lack thereof)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
G

garrlongaxe

I have been having a lot of fun in 1.10 unstable (4.2.5 as if i update to 4.2.6 i get a lot of texture errors) BUT i have not found a single block of Aluminium. This makes it a tad hard to make anything that can mine cobalt etc. I don't have any other stuff installed. Am i just seriously unlucky? ( i have a 10 x 10 strip mine to the bedrock as well as loads of other exploration and mining under my base) Any suggestions for what to do would be more than welcome!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Direwolf20 was having the same problem on his current Server Play YouTube episodes. Keep in mind the Forge server is running mostly pre-release mods for testing to get them ready for release... He may see a solution long before we do.

At issue is the idea that some packs that used to generate certain ores either are not yet ready for 1.10.x for whatever reason, or some that used to generate ores no longer do so. I believe Tinkers Construct is in this second category.

I used to make Aluminum Brass for tool forms but, like you, cannot find aluminum. Luckily we can make single use forms using clay and cobble, for example, an Axe head (2 cobble lost, 2 clay lost by default recipe):

1). Make the part using cobble.
2). Melt 2 clay in the smelter... As the clay hardens on the part that part is lost.
3). Use the clay form to make say an Iron Axe Head. This time the form is lost.

A good thing about this change is that with 1.10 Clay became part of Vanilla WorldGen and is nowhere near difficult to find.

I've heard that several mods like IC2(?) have recipes for replacements for some missing ores but that requires a whole new infrastructure to be built.

G

garrlongaxe

Cheers for the reply. I am ok with the forms (i go mad and use gold...have more of that from raiding pirate ships than i know what to do with!) Its the 'end game tools' i am unsure of how to make. I can't mine cobalt or andersite (or whatever its called) to make some of the kick you know what tools and weapons. Have i missed something other than trying to trade with villagers for steel to smelt down?

Double-D

Jul 29, 2019
If you read the change logs for TiCon aluminium is no longer a part of the mod. If another mod has it, TiCon supports it.

In fact I think the only ores it adds to world gen is cobalt and ardite.

Reactions: RedBoss

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Cheers for the reply. I am ok with the forms (i go mad and use gold...have more of that from raiding pirate ships than i know what to do with!) Its the 'end game tools' i am unsure of how to make. I can't mine cobalt or andersite (or whatever its called) to make some of the kick you know what tools and weapons. Have i missed something other than trying to trade with villagers for steel to smelt down?

There's a new slime material that's kind of rare, I think... Lemme go into the game and get the specs, brb. [Edit] The new material is "Knightslime", with a mining level of Obsidian. I don't know if that's good for Cobalt or Ardite.

In Unstable 1.10 v.4.2.6 the only thing JEI shows that can mine Ardite or Cobalt is a Void Ore Miner with appropriate filters from Environmental Tech, and there seems to be no source of material for aluminum, although a few things can hold it and a lot of things made from it if you ever find it :D

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
No mod should add "aluminium ore" to the worldgen as there is literally no such thing. The closest there is is Bauxite, that is processed to produce alumina, that can be processed into aluminium. Lots of electricity should be involved - you don't smelt bauxite with heat.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
No mod should add "aluminium ore" to the worldgen as there is literally no such thing. The closest there is is Bauxite, that is processed to produce alumina, that can be processed into aluminium. Lots of electricity should be involved - you don't smelt bauxite with heat.
True, BUT for the sake of simplicity: IE adds bauxite ore that can be crushed into dusts and turned into ingots in a furnace.
Imagine though if the only way to make aluminium was in the IE Arc Furnace, say - and you needed to find a rare "cryolite" ore (Na3AlF6) to get it to work.

Actually, you could probably do that with some work for the smeltery - so bauxite ore smelts down into "aluminium slag", a custom fluid added that can't be cast into anything, which alloys with a small amount of "molten cryolite" (you'd probably need some custom fluids, maybe a 1.10 equivalent of Quadrum or similar for this) to make molten aluminium. Hmm...