[1.10.2] [AoE] IC2 Power Generation Question

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Now, to be frank, I've not seriously played with IC2 in a very long time, not since before all the changes that have made it more like Gregtech. So, what are the ways, and how many EU/t do they put out, of generating power in IC2? I know of a generator at 10 EU/t, Geos at 20 EU/t, Solar and Water at 1 EU/t and Wind at around 10 EU/t. Is there any other way of producing tier 2 or 3 power with out a massive solar farm or draining the nether of lava? Don't want to do nuclear so that's out, it's out anyway as at the time of writing this I am just starting with tier 1, a generator, but already researching what the next goal will be in terms of power.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
a kinetic generator would probably work... idk for sure as I'm just as clueless as you are... (I know that a manual kinetic generator, which has to be hooked up to a regular kinetic generator makes 25 KU/t but other than that, nope :/)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Now, to be frank, I've not seriously played with IC2 in a very long time, not since before all the changes that have made it more like Gregtech. So, what are the ways, and how many EU/t do they put out, of generating power in IC2? I know of a generator at 10 EU/t, Geos at 20 EU/t, Solar and Water at 1 EU/t and Wind at around 10 EU/t. Is there any other way of producing tier 2 or 3 power with out a massive solar farm or draining the nether of lava? Don't want to do nuclear so that's out, it's out anyway as at the time of writing this I am just starting with tier 1, a generator, but already researching what the next goal will be in terms of power.
The windmill is weak, but the Wind Turbine is actually nearly op. It requires a "fuel" of sorts: rotors every once in a blue moon. I've never managed to finish consuming a rotor before I progressed to something more robust however (nuclear, which is currently not on your radar).

I wish I could give you exact numbers on output but they may have changed and frankly I don't recall. But I know it was crazy buff (possibly 3 digits or close to)

The wind Turbine requires the Wind Turbine block, a Kinetic Generator, and cables. It needs to be high in the air. I believe optimal elevation is somewhere around y170.

Another alternative is the semifluid generator. Or, if you have something like Railcraft, the Steam Turbine multiblock is extremely buff and generates 200 eu/t for 320mb/t steam.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The title says he's playing Age of Engineering, and Railcraft is not in that Pack
No, the title says AoE and I'm hypothetically unfamiliar with the acronym. But clarification appreciated regardless :)

Before I forget: I know Immersive Engineering no longer allows transformation between rf/eu, but can it still produce/carry eu? If so, that's in "AoE" and it has several nice generators itself.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking steam but the way Dire did it was with a nuclear reactor, which, as I said, I don't particularly care for anything that can, if you get it wrong, obliterate everything you own. It's why I've never built a Draconic reactor, it makes the IC2 nuclear explosion look like a firecracker. >.< Big / Extreme Reactors is my go to. I'm thinking, once i progress to the point I can build a good RF generation system I'd add Slugs in to the pack, at that point it won't make much of a difference except to clean up the wiring as I could build an equivalent IC2 and RF system. But, with the recipe changes, that's a ways off, the RF system will depend on IC2 components. Just I hate having to mine for a tonne of coal to keep manually feeding the generator to keep it going so I can process all my ores. In the pack ore doubling is disabled except for machines, so no smeltery ore doubling. And the pack creator chose IC2 as the early game pack so everything else revolves around it, literally,recipes for other mod items includes IC2 components, like gold cables and stuff. I'm going to have to actually build proper power systems for it instead of using Slugs from the get go like I did in Dire's pack. >.< Oh! Hey! There is advanced solars. If it's anything like it's predecessors that means building a lot of solars and the corresponding storage device (batbox, CSU, MFU, MFSU). Hmm. I'll have to poke at it and see. Thanks all. :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
fwiw, for ore doubling, it doesn't take too long before you can make the (actually additions?) crusher (and double-crusher), which works on RF and is faster than the IC2 macerator.

IC2 nukes are pretty safe if you stick with safe designs, but its a pain to look them up, so I totally get that.

Personally: I "cheated". Semifluid generators are supposed to be able to consume creosote oil (which is why the GT version does so), so I made little tweaks to the configs so that I could use a Vat to translate creosote oil into biomass (at a terrible efficiency) and burn that instead. (The conversion of oil to biomass makes little to no sense, but it was the simplest method I could find)

I don't feel bad: it should be burnable.

Reactions: triggerfinger12

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so, I am a bit puzzled here. I progress to age 2, Calculator, I get my Atomic Reconstructor built, I make a Progressive Automation Capacitor and upgrade it to iron, I plop that down next to the Survival Generator (next thing on my hit list of stuff to upgrade), made sure the red dot was against the generator, and nada, it isn't charging up. WTH? I even put an RF Engine in to it to be sure it wasn't that, nope, it isn't accepting power from the gen. o_O

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You may need a cable. Just a couple of Immersive Engineering connectors and a single LV cable should do the trick. Not all machines play nice with those from other mods.

@Pyure: Age of Engineering is a pure Tech Pack based on Infinity Expert mode, which the pack author liked, but it's not quite so punitive as Expert mode. For example, you need to make 80 EnderIO Capacitors, which take Empowered Restonia Crystals, Copper, and Copper Electron Tubes, which take Calculator Redstone Ingots. But you only need those 80 Capacitors if you're making the Environmental Tech Solar Panel.

llloyd

Jul 29, 2019
@KingTriaxx Meh, ok, just LV cables are *brutal*, one copper plate for 1 cable. >.< Thanks for the info, I'll try it. Might need to do it from that to the Atomic Reconstructor too, I'll see. But, yeah, a water wheel is in the near future, 80 RF/t if it's configured right with out having to think about it. ATM I got almost three tanks full of creosote so... >.<

Edit: Nope, I separated the two by 2 spaces, generator has power, the lv wire connector shows 256 IF, the other lv wire connector shows 0, and there is nothing going into the capacitor, yet the lv wire connector on it is on it's red dot and there is an lv wire between the two. o_O

Last edited:

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly IC2 nukes are quite easy to make safe. There are a few apps as well that can test them for you. I'm pretty sure that there is an easy 1 chamber (as in just the nuke itself, no extra blocks added) build that generates 100eu which you can chain next to each other, all 100% safe.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure: Age of Engineering is a pure Tech Pack based on Infinity Expert mode, which the pack author liked, but it's not quite so punitive as Expert mode. For example, you need to make 80 EnderIO Capacitors, which take Empowered Restonia Crystals, Copper, and Copper Electron Tubes, which take Calculator Redstone Ingots. But you only need those 80 Capacitors if you're making the Environmental Tech Solar Panel.
KT: was that supposed to be addressed to me? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

If you were concerned about my "cheat": Creosote is supposed to be a semifluid. I enabled that. It doesn't make the pack any simpler, it just gives me something more interesting to do with my creosote other than void it (specifically: I can already make IC2 wind turbines, which are absurdly OP and the rotors last essentially forever)

I believe I'm getting 1/5 the burn rate of biomass (not biofuel). Biomass is already super underwhelming. It also requires a constant feed of rice seeds (because reasons), a tiny trickle of power for the conversion, and the infrastructure to make that all happen. It should also be closer to 1/3 or 1/2 biomass iirc :p Honestly, I just really hate voiding liquids for no reason.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Out of curiosity, how far down the progression tree is Forestry? Although it would be somewhat expensive, I'm just wondering whether you could use an IE fermenter with your fruit of choice and a Forestry bio generator to make a stable and renewable source of IC2 power? By that point there may be other, much better ways to generate EU, I'm not sure.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Out of curiosity, how far down the progression tree is Forestry? Although it would be somewhat expensive, I'm just wondering whether you could use an IE fermenter with your fruit of choice and a Forestry bio generator to make a stable and renewable source of IC2 power? By that point there may be other, much better ways to generate EU, I'm not sure.
For the first question: I believe you can do a lot of forestry as soon as you make an Empowerer (which is tier 4 or some such).

At this point the guide will tell you that you can make a multifarm (not sure if you can do all the tubes for configuration yet) and warns you that you're going to need to have a look at bees and trees.

For EU: I'm currently using an IC2 wind turbine with a, um, steel rotor I think. Its generating around 80-90 eu/t, which is pretty darn good at this stage (I can't consume anything close to that on a regular basis right now)

The rotor will eventually die, but by then I doubt I'll need it anymore.

Edit/Warning: the IC2 wind turbine generates power in HV packets. Don't be like me and forget they (finally) fixed the enet somewhat.

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
The forestry age is age 4, but you can get a few forestry generators before then. However, there is no conversion between mJ, EU, or RF

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
For the first question: I believe you can do a lot of forestry as soon as you make an Empowerer (which is tier 4 or some such).

At this point the guide will tell you that you can make a multifarm (not sure if you can do all the tubes for configuration yet) and warns you that you're going to need to have a look at bees and trees.

For EU: I'm currently using an IC2 wind turbine with a, um, steel rotor I think. Its generating around 80-90 eu/t, which is pretty darn good at this stage (I can't consume anything close to that on a regular basis right now)

The rotor will eventually die, but by then I doubt I'll need it anymore.

Edit/Warning: the IC2 wind turbine generates power in HV packets. Don't be like me and forget they (finally) fixed the enet somewhat.
Crikey! Yeah, the bio generator would only make about 16 EU/t if I'm reading correctly, so pretty weak sauce by comparison. Hasn't blown up my copper cables either, so I think it generates a fairly low packet size.

I did NOT know that it generated HV packets though! Is there a good source of current info about IC2?

I'm keen to keep up on this thread as I'm going to be recommending Age of Engineering as the next modpack my friend puts onto his server (we're currently on hiatus, but his last pack was Regrowth) so I'd like to pick up any hints and tips where possible ;)

Reactions: triggerfinger12

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Crikey! Yeah, the bio generator would only make about 16 EU/t if I'm reading correctly, so pretty weak sauce by comparison. Hasn't blown up my copper cables either, so I think it generates a fairly low packet size.

I did NOT know that it generated HV packets though! Is there a good source of current info about IC2?
If it works anything like it used to, Tin handles up to LV (32). Copper handles up to MV (128). You need Gold for the HV that comes out of the wind turbine (512). Otherwise you'll get explosions and such.

I'm not sure just how legit the energy network is right now (I haven't tested it thoroughly). But if its working "properly", then you may need to transform-down the power before sending it into your machines (or put transformer upgrades into those machines). Otherwise they'll explode too.

My simple setup is something like Turbine -> Gold Cables -> MV Transformer -> LV Transformer -> Tin Cables -> Machines. And I know for certain that Turbine -> Tin Cables will explode.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
If it works anything like it used to, Tin handles up to LV (32). Copper handles up to MV (128). You need Gold for the HV that comes out of the wind turbine (512). Otherwise you'll get explosions and such.

I'm not sure just how legit the energy network is right now (I haven't tested it thoroughly). But if its working "properly", then you may need to transform-down the power before sending it into your machines (or put transformer upgrades into those machines). Otherwise they'll explode too.

My simple setup is something like Turbine -> Gold Cables -> MV Transformer -> LV Transformer -> Tin Cables -> Machines. And I know for certain that Turbine -> Tin Cables will explode.
Ah, that makes sense. It sounds very much like I remember it working in the old Tekkit days actually!

I'm currently playing beyond, and I've only built two machines - an extractor and a metal former. Both of those are hooked up with copper cable, and the forestry bio generator seems to be making MV (128) packets, and nothing has blown up for me. Of course, if the bio generator is only sending packets of 32 EU down the copper cables (which I think is possible?), then that could also be a reason. Is there a safe way to test, I wonder?

EDIT: Ignore that, I just remembered the EU Reader and now feel like a massive derp.

Last edited: