[1.10.2] [AoE] IC2 Power Generation Question

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ah, that makes sense. It sounds very much like I remember it working in the old Tekkit days actually!

I'm currently playing beyond, and I've only built two machines - an extractor and a metal former. Both of those are hooked up with copper cable, and the forestry bio generator seems to be making MV (128) packets, and nothing has blown up for me. Of course, if the bio generator is only sending packets of 32 EU down the copper cables (which I think is possible?), then that could also be a reason. Is there a safe way to test, I wonder?

EDIT: Ignore that, I just remembered the EU Reader and now feel like a massive derp.
128 on Copper is good. 128 on Tin is bad :)

You're right that the EU-Reader is your friend, but its worth noting that it doesn't always work with machines that aren't native to IC2 (even if they handle EU)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That Pyure, is what you call a brain-fart. It happens when you're not as young as you wish to believe you are. My brain latched onto the idea you'd not seen the pack before and I don't know why.

Someone did mention that apparently the Ethanol from Immersive Engineering can be used by Forestry machines that consume it.

Given the EU loss from Gold Cable, you might consider putting your transformers at the turbine and then running it down a lower resistance cable. (Though it makes no bloody sense that Gold is a worse conductor and that insulation has no effect on it, in my opinion.) An alternate option, if you're at that stage, is the Dire Method which is item transporting an Energy Crystal between MFE's.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That Pyure, is what you call a brain-fart. It happens when you're not as young as you wish to believe you are. My brain latched onto the idea you'd not seen the pack before and I don't know why.
No worries friend, I'm celebrating a depressing milestone myself in 2 weeks :)

Given the EU loss from Gold Cable, you might consider putting your transformers at the turbine and then running it down a lower resistance cable. (Though it makes no bloody sense that Gold is a worse conductor and that insulation has no effect on it, in my opinion.) An alternate option, if you're at that stage, is the Dire Method which is item transporting an Energy Crystal between MFE's.
I was thinking about this the other day and forgot to test it. My math isn't where it needs to be to figure it out, but is the loss as bad if the power gets sent in packets?

In the case of my turbine, I'm 99% sure power isn't get sent every tick. I think its getting sent every time a 512-eu packet is ready to go (which is why the cables explode when I use tin/copper). Therefore, every 512/80 = ~6 ticks or so. If I'm powering a machine that requires 20 eu/t and its 20 blocks away, I only need to make that 20-block trip a single time for 512/20 = 25 operations. If I do it with Tin, I need to make that 20 block trip something like 3 or 4 times for every 2 operations. That's certainly how GregTech works in any event, which is why its so smart (and realistic) to upconvert your power where possible for long distance transport.

I also wonder if the glass fibre cables are still a thing. They used to be close to lossless.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
They are, but the vanilla recipe is crazy expensive, and AoE's has been davqvist-ified. 6 cables for 6 glass, one silver and two energy crystal dust. Which is 5 redstone and 4 diamond dust. (Which makes 9). I'm not sure what the AoE recipe does but...

I am glad the power loss is now on the tooltip. Tin and Copper lose 0.20, Gold loses 0.40, HV loses 0.80, and Glass Fibre loses 0.025 per block. So Glass is crazy good, but also crazy expensive.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
They are, but the vanilla recipe is crazy expensive, and AoE's has been davqvist-ified. 6 cables for 6 glass, one silver and two energy crystal dust. Which is 5 redstone and 4 diamond dust. (Which makes 9). I'm not sure what the AoE recipe does but...

I am glad the power loss is now on the tooltip. Tin and Copper lose 0.20, Gold loses 0.40, HV loses 0.80, and Glass Fibre loses 0.025 per block. So Glass is crazy good, but also crazy expensive.
That reminds me, I wanted to do that test. Turns out I was right.

I did two tests. In the first its a simple gold vs tin. The senders are at the top, the receivers are at the bottom. I used an MFE emitter for the gold, batbox for the tin, and put 10,000 eu into each box via a battery.

As you can see, gold cleanly wins despite the loss-per-segment, because its doing fewer transfers. (This is further proven since the MFE retains 252 eu at the end of the test: not enough to fulfill the 512 eu packet requirement)

The second test (sending right-to-left because I'm dumb) is interesting: I used two batboxes this time as senders, and up-transformed the power on one of them. It was actually more efficient this time, possibly because transformers don't incur loss (two fewer cable segments), and possibly because the batbox was able to deplete itself further (32 eu packets, although I would imagine the transformers should still be holding onto some power and not sending that)

upload_2017-7-11_20-40-53.png

upload_2017-7-11_20-41-21.png

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And before someone asks:
upload_2017-7-11_20-49-46.png

Gold isn't magical. If you transport low-voltage power on a high voltage wire, you're kicking yourself because you're sending lots of packets at higher loss per segment. If you want to take advantage of the higher voltage cables, remember to uptransform first (and downtransform as necessary on the other side)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Looks like Fiber is still magical, same as early versions. Even without transforming you still get the best results over 30 distance with fiber. Better still if you uptransform, but its way less necessary. Good thing its expensive :)

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Looks like Fiber is still magical, same as early versions. Even without transforming you still get the best results over 30 distance with fiber. Better still if you uptransform, but its way less necessary. Good thing its expensive :)
Thank you for testing this so thoroughly! :) I understand what's going on with it now, much better.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hmm... looks like I need to tweak my power system then. I've never actually used the Low>High functions of the transformer. Instead I've always just plugged lower outputs into a higher power storage device. IE Batbox into MFE, rather than Batbox to LV transformer to MV.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hmm... looks like I need to tweak my power system then. I've never actually used the Low>High functions of the transformer. Instead I've always just plugged lower outputs into a higher power storage device. IE Batbox into MFE, rather than Batbox to LV transformer to MV.
Actually that should work just fine too. Where I did batbox to transformer to transformer, you can do batbox to mfe to gold cable and probably get almost the same results, notwithstanding the extra gold cable loss. I believe two transformers are easier to make than an mfe though fwiw

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're not unlucky with Diamonds the way I am, the MFE isn't bad. But since I am Transformers work better. What's the loss like if you use 128EU/t?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If you're not unlucky with Diamonds the way I am, the MFE isn't bad. But since I am Transformers work better. What's the loss like if you use 128EU/t?
Should simply fall somewhere in between tin and gold. You're sending 1/4 the packets, and the copper cable itself has same loss as tin