FTB Ultimate Comeback...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should there be a FTB Ultimate 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Bravo! Now THIS is how you start a flamewar!

So I'll summarily dismiss it.

The issue people have with Gregtech is a modpack maker issue. It is an overriding mod which was hard to ignore in 1.4.7 and grew even moreso in subsequent versions. Due to this and its power to dominate a pack, it honestly should never have been included in a mainstream pack targeted at a general audience. Period.

That said, Ultimate was the torch bearer for "all the things" packs. I personally see a shift away from those types of packs. With the community knowledge gained from configs settings and the ease of modpack creation, there truly is no need to be dependent on launchers to provide packs for you. Just do it yourself. "Private" packs are all the rage and rightly so. Smaller, better curated packs suit specific playstyles better than 200 or more mods thrown together.
Either way, OP, just make your pack yourself. If you're really dedicated, submit it for public distribution via ftb or ATLauncher.
You kind of failed to dismiss much, I agree with most of that :p

Modders shouldn't be taking on the roles of pack makers. Back in the day, the lines were a bit blurred, and GT crossed them. Nowadays, if someone wants to mess around with something like 1 wood = 4 planks, they typically do it with minetweaker, and they're typically assembling a pack that does so for a reason.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
@RedBoss

Indeed, with Greg's and Reika's mods, you either take 'em or leave 'em. And, indeed, you make packs around them. And, good luck getting tweak/balance support for other mods ;-)
Difference between GT and Reika's mods though is you can ignore Reika's mods as they don't interfere with anything (that I am aware of) whereas GT just annihilates a pack. It WILL interfere with the pack. Heck, I didn't even know GT messed with Thaumcraft until I tried making thaumic stuff a few weeks ago. But if you have a mod that requires an iron/invar/gold/etc. tool, then you HAVE to mess with GT, and that is something which I don't like.
If I found a mod that allowed you to make paxels (simple mod) and to make it you used all the tools of that tier (iron, stone, wood, gold, diamond) then I thought, hey you know what I think I'd want to use this is a pack with GT... that mod is now a PITA, whereas if I thought to add it in with any of Reika's mods... it's not a PITA, it's just a PITA seeing all the ores everywhere :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Difference between GT and Reika's mods though is you can ignore Reika's mods as they don't interfere with anything (that I am aware of) whereas GT just annihilates a pack. It WILL interfere with the pack.
That's not an issue, its the point of the mod.

The bigger a mod is, the more it interferes with any packs its in. Period, and by definition. GT has been growing steadily for years, with almost no interruption. Not many mods can make the same claim.

GT's changes are, by design, extremely visual to the player's experience. And they modify an awful lot of stuff. But that's what a mod is. You either want a mod that does that or you don't, but neither way makes it a pro or con for the mod in question.

A prime example: There's a huge resurgence in skyblocks these days, mostly revolving around ex-nihilo. If you have a mod in those packs that "requires an iron/invar/gold/etc. tool", then you HAVE to mess with ex nihilo to get those resources.

How many players do and don't like that massive minecraft-altering mechanic?

At the end of the day, is it really relevant?

Mods are options, tailored not for everyone, but rather for those who want those options.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
GT's changes are, by design, extremely visual to the player's experience. And they modify an awful lot of stuff. But that's what a mod is. You either want a mod that does that or you don't, but neither way makes it a pro or con for the mod in question.

Well said.

A prime example: There's a huge resurgence in skyblocks these days, mostly revolving around ex-nihilo. If you have a mod in those packs that "requires an iron/invar/gold/etc. tool", then you HAVE to mess with ex nihilo to get those resources.

Building on this- just dropping Ex-nihilo in to a non-skyblock worlds tends to wreak the resource progression.
Want some metal?- Have several tonnes of it from a cobblegen
Looking for nether resources? -Don't panic- you don't even need a portal for this...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well said.

Building on this- just dropping Ex-nihilo in to a non-skyblock worlds tends to wreak the resource progression.
Looking for nether resources? -Don't panic- you don't even need a portal for this...
I'd like to say it doesn't wreck it all that much. I find it actually works quite well in the first pack in my signature :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Agreed, although there are strange people out there who like it in regular worlds anyway :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
We're all mod hipsters at this point. Its no wonder that with such discriminating playstyles and tastes in mods, that most of us play SSP or on very small private servers.
Raise your hand if you actually use non-private packs with zero changes to mod mix, recipes, or configs.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
We're all mod hipsters at this point. Its no wonder that with such discriminating playstyles and tastes in mods, that most of us play SSP or on very small private servers.
Raise your hand if you actually use non-private packs with zero changes to mod mix, recipes, or configs.

*Raises hand*

*Lowers hand as he remembers he added 40 63 mods to monster*

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Agreed, although there are strange people out there who like it in regular worlds anyway :)

Or complaining about Greg's setting halving the amount of wooden planks, and praise Jaded's settings (such as in AgS) which halves the total amount of wood available. [via reduced tree growth speed]

I'd like to say it doesn't wreck it all that much. I find it actually works quite well in the first pack in my signature :p
Its down to implementation; designing it in Vs dropping it in- the same can be done with Gtech if one desires.
Looks like a fairly decent pack actually. I'll give it a run this weekend.

Which is why we'll never have ultimate back- we're all playing different games under the title of 'FTB', rather than the majority of us playing through a main pack.
Ultimate was good because we collectively played it as a community, and we're able to design together as a team if someone got stuck.
[where's now play advice tends to be 'Add Xmod- it solves Yquestion for you']

I always find myself disabling walia, minimaps and clearing out all the HUD overlays that everyone insists on adding.
So much unnecessary information just gets in the way.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I do, because a non-private pack with zero changes is your best bet to find a server with a halfway decent (20'ish) population.

Sometimes it's boring playing SSP. SMP has something that irc can't give.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Unrelated to discussion on hand, but when I came across this thread just now, I was expecting the ultimate comeback that happened to be related to FTB. Rather disappointed :p

Reactions: Pyure

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
There's a reason I don't normally get into discussions like this, I simply don't understand it. You guys like to overcomplicate things, so, much. We're dealing with mods here, "Don't like it, don't use it, like it? Awesome! Me too, let's play." It couldn't be more simple. I'm starting to get the reason why people are losing faith in this forum, ignoring expections like the Forum Games section, and PMs in general, everywhere else, everything you guys just seem to like to do is argue - actually, not argue, fight, 'cause there's absolutely nothing wrong with an healthy argument, but all you guys seem to come down to is fighting. And don't get me wrong, I've myself have entered a few arguments, but I most of the time notice the lack of point in it, and leave it be, normally apologizing.But holy fuck, guys... Is peace a too boring of a concept to you?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I always find myself disabling walia, minimaps and clearing out all the HUD overlays that everyone insists on adding.
So much unnecessary information just gets in the way.
I've gotten used to WAILA though I really don't need it. I agree with your sentiment though. I like my minimap, but the only other game I play is GTA so its not distracting for me. Anything else is bothersome.