FTB Ultimate Comeback...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should there be a FTB Ultimate 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
it's actually 8 stone bricks and one redstone
But IIRC Reika's mods will fail on startup if one of their recipes is changed
Ah right, so maybe make it so that stone bricks are stupid hard to get? It would annoy people who build with them for everything, but it would force an entry wait

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's
Well, I don't remember the recipe, but let's say it's 8 bricks. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from changing the recipe of bricks to be 1 diamond + 1 clay, as that way you are not editing anything to do with his mod in any way, shape, or form

Problem is bricks are needed for GT bronze stuff as well. I'd want to put RoC/ReC *late* into the GT tech tree. If you put RoC/ReC before GT, then you end up gutting a lot of GT content.

To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't allow anything that breaks the info in his manual. He would only allow something that changes "entry" to his mod. In this case, it might be changing the recipe for the Blast Furnace, which is the entry-block into RoC. But even in this case, he's specified he wouldn't allow the recipe to depend on something ultra-rare (such as, say, iridium)

Does he allow Minetweaking of the RoC Blast Furnace ? My opinion on balance is somewhere between Stainless Steel and Tungstensteel for its recipe. But, that's my 2 cents.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Does he allow Minetweaking of the RoC Blast Furnace ? My opinion on balance is somewhere between Stainless Steel and Tungstensteel for its recipe. But, that's my 2 cents.
I wouldn't say tungsteel, as that is pretty late game stuff (in terms of what the RoC blast furnace is for), maybe something more along the lines of using an industrial blast furnace surrounded by steel

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
He does allow limited tweaking of the BF. The problem is that the blast furnace, while key to getting at RoC's late-game stuff, is also key to getting to his early-game stuff (such as fans, fermenters). And it would be silly to push those into the middle/late tiers of a game.

So for any pack I'd make, tweaking the blast furnace recipe wouldn't really solve anything.

I'd want the blast furnace to push back a few more tiers to bring it in line with other blast furnaces. I'd want his early-tier stuff to no longer require the blast furnace. I'd want his ore-processing stuff to require things like tungstensteel. The list goes on, and none of it would be allowed in a public pack.

I wouldn't say tungsteel, as that is pretty late game stuff (in terms of what the RoC blast furnace is for), maybe something more along the lines of using an industrial blast furnace surrounded by steel
Right, this would automatically bring it in line with another BF (notwithstanding that the IBF doesn't exist anymore btw.)[DOUBLEPOST=1411661462][/DOUBLEPOST]btw: we've totally, completely subverted this thread. Perhaps we should start another one and possibly ask a moderator to migrate these contents if they're feeling very kind.

Reactions: MigukNamja

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Right, this would automatically bring it in line with another BF (notwithstanding that the IBF doesn't exist anymore btw.)
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So how does one acquire their steel now, using JUST GT? o_O

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So how does one acquire their steel now, using JUST GT? o_O
That's still a blast furnace, its just not the IBF.

Silly distinction, but its now a multi-tiered "Electric Blast Furnace." And I say multi-tiered because you now adjust the casing (similar to before, although no mixing), and it can function at multiple voltage levels (for different processing rates).

Most of your steel will initially come from progressing out of the steam age via the "Bronze Blast Furnace" (if I recall the name correctly)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
How will you power the machines that use RF? Just expect people to use the RoC dynamo?
That's the thing. Most items that use RF are pushed back towards mid to end game. By time you are ready to use them, you have a Reactorcraft fission reactor making you tons of power. (And to complete one of the quests, you'll need 5 fully charged RF batteries from Electricraft, each of which can store 3 trillion RF I believe. So you'll ideally have a fusion reactor by the end as well.)[DOUBLEPOST=1411662620][/DOUBLEPOST]It will not be a easy pack. I guarantee that much.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Most of your steel will initially come from progressing out of the steam age via the "Bronze Blast Furnace" (if I recall the name correctly)

URGH! Not the Bronze Age *starts dying*

Yep ! And lots of bronze !!

The good news in GT 5 is ore veins are massive. We're talking 30 stacks of a single type of ore massive. Once you find 1x Copper vein and 1x Tin vein, you're well on your way to exiting the Bronze age.

The bad news in GT 5 is ore veins are sparse. It may be difficult (i.e. take many, many hours) to find a vein, and you may play for weeks/months before you find the specific vein you're looking for. We're looking for Plutonium between Y=20 and Y=30, and haven't even as much as sniffed it yet.

Tin, unfortunately, is very tough to spot. You may be wandering for hours and hours across 20+ biomes before you find one.

Reactions: Pyure and Wagon153

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Yep ! And lots of bronze !!

The good news in GT 5 is ore veins are massive. We're talking 30 stacks of a single type of ore massive. Once you find 1x Copper vein and 1x Tin vein, you're well on your way to exiting the Bronze age.

The bad news in GT 5 is ore veins are sparse. It may be difficult (i.e. take many, many hours) to find a vein, and you may play for weeks/months before you find the specific vein you're looking for. We're looking for Plutonium between Y=20 and Y=30, and haven't even as much as sniffed it yet.

Tin, unfortunately, is very tough to spot. You may be wandering for hours and hours across 20+ biomes before you find one.

What about iridium ore... what sorta vein size does that get now o_O

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
We haven't figured it out yet. Somehow we've managed to accumulate nearly 20 iridium and we're not clear how :p

Some from a chest, most of it from single Iridium ore blocks in The End. If we quarried the main island in The End, I'm sure we'd find a lot more.

But, Iridium is child's play. Osmium is....OMG.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Some from a chest, most of it from single Iridium ore blocks in The End. If we quarried the main island in The End, I'm sure we'd find a lot more.

But, Iridium is child's play. Osmium is....OMG.
So it f-'s over mekanism... great....

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
PS: GT is for intelligent and focused players only. Others can stay away please.
Bravo! Now THIS is how you start a flamewar!

So I'll summarily dismiss it.

The issue people have with Gregtech is a modpack maker issue. It is an overriding mod which was hard to ignore in 1.4.7 and grew even moreso in subsequent versions. Due to this and its power to dominate a pack, it honestly should never have been included in a mainstream pack targeted at a general audience. Period.

That said, Ultimate was the torch bearer for "all the things" packs. I personally see a shift away from those types of packs. With the community knowledge gained from configs settings and the ease of modpack creation, there truly is no need to be dependent on launchers to provide packs for you. Just do it yourself. "Private" packs are all the rage and rightly so. Smaller, better curated packs suit specific playstyles better than 200 or more mods thrown together.
Either way, OP, just make your pack yourself. If you're really dedicated, submit it for public distribution via ftb or ATLauncher.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Bravo! Now THIS is how you start a flamewar!

So I'll summarily dismiss it.

The issue people have with Gregtech is a modpack maker issue. It is an overriding mod which was hard to ignore in 1.4.7 and grew even moreso in subsequent versions. Due to this and its power to dominate a pack, it honestly should never have been included in a mainstream pack targeted at a general audience. Period.

That said, Ultimate was the torch bearer for "all the things" packs. I personally see a shift away from those types of packs. With the community knowledge gained from configs settings and the ease of modpack creation, there truly is no need to be dependent on launchers to provide packs for you. Just do it yourself. "Private" packs are all the rage and rightly so. Smaller, better curated packs suit specific playstyles better than 200 or more mods thrown together.
Either way, OP, just make your pack yourself. If you're really dedicated, submit it for public distribution via ftb or ATLauncher.
You mean technic or FTB. ATLauncher only accepts packs from people who have servers/are well known. Something I highly disagree with of course.

Reactions: RedBoss

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@RedBoss

Indeed, with Greg's and Reika's mods, you either take 'em or leave 'em. And, indeed, you make packs around them. And, good luck getting tweak/balance support for other mods ;-)

Reactions: RedBoss