Whyyyyy

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ehh, we could stand to enlist maybe one more garbage-cleaner imo, preferably from Europe :)

I'm very active during week-days since I'm at my desk all day with the forum open. We garner the most spam when its like 2AM in the morning EST.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Like it or not the primary use of this forum is tech support. People looking for support often don't have an existing account or a post history so would end up in the moderation queue. This is not practical and would only delay getting their issue, which might be a simple one, resolved quickly. If you have some new suggestion to bring to the table then I'm all ears, but so far it is the same suggestions that we, in some cases already do and in others simply can't do. As I previously said, if you want a spam infestation squished quickly then ping me on Twitter, or fire me an email (pinging on Discord is a pretty poor way to get my attention, way too much noise to signal there)

I'd also remind you not to kid yourself that the issue of spam bots is being ignored. The measures we have in place already occasionally falsely flag the occasional legitimate user as a bot. Adjusting the settings to be more strict would only increase the number of incorrectly flagged users, something we definitely don't want to do. It, as always, is a game of cat and mouse with the spammers, as it is on every forum (whether or not it's visible to the end user)

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Flood filter? If user posts the exact same post more than once in, say, fifteen minutes (because you really shouldn't be posting the exact same post again anyway), it automatically gets blocked/moderated? That ought to get rid of most of the big problems.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Flood filter? If user posts the exact same post more than once in, say, fifteen minutes (because you really shouldn't be posting the exact same post again anyway), it automatically gets blocked/moderated? That ought to get rid of most of the big problems.
then bot makers will just add a single extra character somewhere in the post.
I guess you could calculate how similar the posts are but even that seems like bot makers can get around. And I'm not sure if you want to rate limit all new threads no matter how similar they are.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Whyyyy.PNG

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Perhaps use the report function?
I don't think that would do much as opposed just pinging someone, maybe if its just 1 spam post but not when its a wave like that. The reason being that those waves are only not cleaned up because no moderator is online that can clean it up and neither pinging or reporting changes that.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Reporting will send it to myself, watchful, and Quetzi, pinging can send it to the spam cleaners like Pyure. Also a flood filter can’t work here, they never post the same exact thing. It’s always a different post.