Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
13 of the 28 extra biomes are disabled by default in the ultimate pack, I basically stopped playing it when I found that out

Plz point me to where you saw this because I just went and checked the configs on MY server and all the biomes are enabled and no, I didn't change anything when I migrated from MC pack to the ULT.

/Manu

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure many other people have said these things, but I'd like to say my opinion.

1) I like Gregtech's nerfs, but I don't use them. I don't like using the difficulty enhancer portion of it, but I like it. I wouldn't use it in my SSP world, but I'd use it with my friend, since we'd have double the manpower and be able to hand the nerfs.
2) I love the machines it adds. I never use them (I don't use IC2 because I'll just admit it right now, I'm not good at it) but I like when my friend makes them. And they have multiblock structures. You know I love them now.
3) I'm fine with Gregtech being on hardmode in the Mindcrack modpack. It's what Etho and Bdoubleo use, we should have it the same even if it is frustrating for me. It'd be like not including DW20's worlds if we turned off Gregtech.
4) I think Ultimate's Gregtech setting should be Medium or Low, maybe even off for servers (as everyone on the server must then change it in their clients).

All in all, I like Gregtech, and the only reason my first posts on this site were about how much I hated it was because it frustrated me and I wasn't used to it. My 1 and only complaint is that it's defaulted to hard mode. That's all. This is also half the reason why I'm okay with Gregtech, because it is completely a choice. Can't complain about something you don't have to use (well you can, just ask a politician about Nuclear weapons)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
People will always be disgruntled by things. Humans Hate what They don't Understand. Humans Destroy what they Hate. It is basic human condiitoning. Like a destructive virus that consums all that it comes in contact with.

Unless it is a massive threat, like say SOPA or PIPA then a group unites but it takes a wide threat to do so. After the group goes back to bickering and ruins any creditability that may have been garnered before.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I did do something. I made an editorial video discussing the community's role in abusing the term 'OP' and other related attitudes that lead to mods like GregTech in the first place.

First, thanks for the editorial. Unfortunately, it ended up being based on some flawed assumptions to support a point of view that doesn't appreciate that some may enjoy the tedium of building a ridiculous multi-structure oven (for whatever reason). By your own reasoning, it is a sandbox, and as such convoluted rules, no rules, rules that are tedious to you, etc., are all house rules and as such welcome to play.

For the assumptions, in hopes that it makes a better argument for you:

1. When you define Overpowered, you frame the concept around competition. While it is certainly more identifiable within that context, it is not exclusive to it. The term has been around since many of us were scribbling on character sheets in decidedly non-competitive environments long before the Internet was invented. Or, if you prefer to look at it another way, the competition is often the game itself. The rules and settings that have been agreed upon lend the concept of relative game mechanic balance to everything from Chess to FTL. Overpowered is, as it should be, clearly subjective. For a group of people sharing an experience, consensus defines what is and isn't cheesy.

2. Grinding is in no way an invention of MMOs. Traditionally, this mechanic was referred to as the treadmill - repetitive tasks employed to achieve an artificial goal, particularly in games where the skill ceiling is low to non-existent. We can go all the way back to Dragon Warrior or early FFs on the NES to see that grind preempted MMOs (and non-sub MUDs) by well over a decade. In an experiential game like Minecraft, the absence of skill mechanics does not mean that when a mod attempts to provide a goal ladder (grindy or otherwise) that something terrible has happened. Just the opposite - it provided an alternate way to play in the sandbox.

Lastly, the rant about configs is off the mark. Having choice, regardless of how many menus it is buried in, is decidedly better than having none. Most mods have configuration files, yet you only seem agitated that it is being used as a way to explain that you can alter a mod you don't like to better suit your taste. In other words, you make it appear as though you would be happier if the mod you disliked removed options (singular vision!) so that it becomes easier to justify your initial impression. Opinionated, sure, but not a particularly strong argument.

I see where you meant to go with the editorial, but I think if you made some allowances for other play styles and zoomed your historical perspective out a bit, it would go a lot further in supporting your point of view.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Just because you like to play in an isolated enviroment with people of your exact mindset, doesn't make you right.

Your reply was written very, very poorly with half-thoughts and gibberish throughout. Perhaps you'd care to try again, and put some effort into it.

Reactions: Skyqula

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019

I like what you posted. To bring up a past experience if I may is I remember how much drama was created when D&D went to 3.x. Oh my lords was is crazy, and I was part of it, untill I took a moment and stepped back. I realized that the company has to make money and things cannpt be stale forever. With the advent of the internet sharing houserules and ideas over D&D grew by leaps and bounds. I dare say with OGL on it 3.x became one of the most supported versions of D&D. I never seen so many third parties use the template based system to make so many wonderful suppliments to the Core Three.

Thing is OGL was established so companies can get into what was D&D stronghold on the fantasy table top market.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
First, thanks for the editorial. Unfortunately, it ended up being based on some flawed assumptions to support a point of view that doesn't appreciate that some may enjoy the tedium of building a ridiculous multi-structure oven (for whatever reason). By your own reasoning, it is a sandbox, and as such convoluted rules, no rules, rules that are tedious to you, etc., are all house rules and as such welcome to play.

Unfortunately you're arguing points that I already addressed in the video and claiming 'flawed assumptions' where no assumptions were made. Again, constructive participation in a discussion demands that you fully understand what is being said before you respond to it. When your first repsonse is to get defensive, you almost completely lose the ability to be objective and accurately interpret the information heading your way. If I try to argue your points, we just argue in circles because you're not arguing based on what I said, you're arguing based on what you expected me to say.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
2. Grinding is in no way an invention of MMOs.

People need to realize this. They also need to realize that "grinding" has created one of the most popular activities in the world. Gambling. It's more obvious in games like slots, but is present even in table games and poker.

Grinding works well for the human psyche.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Plz point me to where you saw this because I just went and checked the configs on MY server and all the biomes are enabled and no, I didn't change anything when I migrated from MC pack to the ULT.

/Manu
They were disabled by default on my configs. It also says so on the "unofficial wiki" Maybe the server files don't have them disabled?

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately you're arguing points that I already addressed in the video and claiming 'flawed assumptions' where no assumptions were made. Again, constructive participation in a discussion demands that you fully understand what is being said before you respond to it. When your first repsonse is to get defensive, you almost completely lose the ability to be objective and accurately interpret the information heading your way. If I try to argue your points, we just argue in circles because you're not arguing based on what I said, you're arguing based on what you expected me to say.

Seriously, that's your reply? I'm just going to return the favor you seem keen on giving others and give you a 0/10 for effort. Below weak.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, that's your reply? I'm just going to return the favor you seem keen on giving others and give you a 0/10 for effort. Below weak.

Fix your arguments and I'll give you a more robust reply. Hint: not once did I ever state or imply that grinding originated with MMOs. I don't know where you got that idea but it's not an accurate interpretation of what was said. As to your first point, I'm not going to try and argue with nebulous fluff. Complain all you want about a lack of effort, I'm not wasting time forming an argument against nonsense.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB team will never cease to confuse me
the extra biomes mod displaces vanilla biomes. I can only ascertain that many of them were disabled to allow for more vanilla biomes & "extras" in vanilla like witch huts, jungle temples, desert temples and the like. i remember people complaining when the beta came out about not finding these structures. and since extra biomes had plants that at first were not compatible with forestry and the like, you could be stuck thousands of blocks away from vanilla trees with no way to make biomass (small example).

I'm an explorer & I'll travel a few thousand blocks at a time. Since playing from Beta to mindcrack to now ultimate, i've only come across 1 jungle temple & 1 desert temple. I only found 1 desert temple in a world i spent a few months in. In vanilla, travelling in the same fashion i would have found at least a dozen of them.

I wrote all of that to illustrate that at the core there may be disagreement but, I trust that many settings on the packs are designed with end user enjoyment in mind. ;)

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
the extra biomes mod displaces vanilla biomes. I can only ascertain that many of them were disabled to allow for more vanilla biomes & "extras" in vanilla like witch huts, jungle temples, desert temples and the like. i remember people complaining when the beta came out about not finding these structures. and since extra biomes had plants that at first were not compatible with forestry and the like, you could be stuck thousands of blocks away from vanilla trees with no way to make biomass (small example).

I'm an explorer & I'll travel a few thousand blocks at a time. Since playing from Beta to mindcrack to now ultimate, i've only come across 1 jungle temple & 1 desert temple. I only found 1 desert temple in a world i spent a few months in. In vanilla, travelling in the same fashion i would have found at least a dozen of them.

I wrote all of that to illustrate that at the core there may be disagreement but, I trust that many settings on the packs are designed with end user enjoyment in mind. ;)
I think its up to the players to decide which ones they don't want, if at all. But its also weird that they didn't disable them in the server configs but they did for the client ones

Reactions: Dravarden

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Hint: not once did I ever state or imply that grinding originated with MMOs. I don't know where you got that idea but it's not an accurate interpretation of what was said. As to your first point, I'm not going to try and argue with nebulous fluff. Complain all you want about a lack of effort, I'm not wasting time forming an argument against nonsense.

Perhaps you should be more clear.

1:30 “I was taught that it basically applies only in a situation where there is competition between people.” You were taught wrong. See point 1. If it's nebulous fluff, you shouldn't be using it to support your argument. The whole ed. is about OP and you start off with a poor definition.

11:06 “..is that now there’s competition whereas when they first came up with this grind concept there wasn’t”. They didn't come up with the concept. See point 2. Again, trying to compare a mods inferred grind by explaining (wrongly) how the treadmill mechanic actually applies to game design doesn't do anything for your argument.

I don't need to Crayola my response to your assertions about configurations, I hope. If you spent more time defending the content of your long-winded editorial rather than offending people who are trying to have a reasonable conversation despite it's flaws, perhaps you would be taken more seriously.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps you should be more clear.

1:30 “I was taught that it basically applies only in a situation where there is competition between people.” You were taught wrong. See point 1. If it's nebulous fluff, you shouldn't be using it to support your argument. The whole ed. is about OP and you start off with a poor definition.

It's actually a very good definition because it provides objective boundaries where the term does and does not apply. It's the definitions that are wholly subjective that are poor, because a wholly subjective definition is no definition at all.

11:06 “..is that now there’s competition whereas when they first came up with this grind concept there wasn’t”. They didn't come up with the concept. See point 2. Again, trying to compare a mods inferred grind by explaining (wrongly) how the treadmill mechanic actually applies to game design doesn't do anything for your argument.

You might benefit from a review of the concept of 'context'. I was speaking in the context of the MMO genre as an example illustrating how one industry has observed and adapted to the concept of grossly extended grind as a viable means of keeping people happily engaged. I was quite clear about this to those who can comprehend simple English and context. Listen to what is said and not what you think will be said if you want to understand, and then you can respond to what is said and avoid having your irrelevant arguments dismissed. Don't get butthurt, don't take it personally (or make it personal). I'm not arguing this with you anymore.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Before you can point out what is or isn't misinformation, you first have to demonstrate your ability to properly interpret what was said. Based on your list, you went in with a tremendous bias and came out with a long list of points to counter that were never made. You can think what you want to think, but discerning people demand a higher level of objectivity than what you've displayed.

You can disagree about you spreading information, it doesn't make it true though. I have no problems with peoples preferences as I've shown through my posts on these forums for months. I have no problems with being in a minority and being the one to go through configs if that's so desired of me, either. I fail to see how I'm being biased, since I used my knowledge - not my bias - to discuss EE2.

Edit: I read through the rest of this thread and I can see where this is going. Once person using some fancy words to make the sheep support him without understanding what is said, while constantly ignoring and circling his own bias points, calling anything he disagrees with (factual or subjective) wrong, etc. Seen it all before. Cya.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: I read through the rest of this thread and I can see where this is going. Once person using some fancy words to make the sheep support him without understanding what is said, while constantly ignoring and circling his own bias points, calling anything he disagrees with (factual or subjective) wrong, etc. Seen it all before. Cya.

You know what I've seen before? Arguments that go on for pages and pages and days and days because one person tries to clarify a point for someone who is just not even trying to understand. I'm not going to be part of that kind of argument if I can avoid it, so I'll discuss/debate with those who understand whether they agree with me or not, and dismiss those who are just off in left field somewhere picking a fight over nothing. And I'm not even going to argue why I'm not going to argue anymore, either, because it's almost as bad as arguing over points that were never made.