Pulverizer is better than Macerator In GregTec

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sprung

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone been able to implement the hard mode diamond pulveriser recipie in the server config? If I change the thermal expansion recipe config file from false to true for the diamond requirement it gets reverted back when I start the server.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Can't hobbyists explode if they run out of water? So you either have to refill them permanently or build another machine (pump or accumulator).

Only if you put water in them when they are hot. Let them cool down, no explosion, just like a boiler. However they sip water. 8 buckets in each will last at least a stack of coal. By that time I already have my aqueous accumulator, buffer tank and am ready to move over to a proper boiler.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Coals are important source of coal coke, having 3 stacks of them and using them for engines is just wasteful, as you have also mentioned having a tree farm is efficient except from the fact that it is also time consuming. The main idea here is, cool down-heat up cycles of steam engines and boilers are downward fuel consuming. Alternative solution could be adding two sets of hoppers and making mine runs short yet efficient ones so you will never have to turn off your steam engine, and alternatively you can use stirling engines with scaffolds twice as efficient as coal and there is no heating cycle involved.

Coal coke for anything other than running a blast furnace is something people use because they want to, not because they have to. And for those using a blast furnace to make steel, by the time the average player gets to that point they're likely to have stacks and stacks of coal lying around anyway. I almost always end up with coke ovens and blast furnaces in my worlds and they spend most of their time idling because there's just not all that much demand for them unless you're building an absolutely massive rail system.

It's hard to waste something that you have in gross excess.

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
When comparing the two, you can't ignore the cost of power. Generating power for TE2 machines is so slow. It takes forever to put coal in a steam engine.

In contrast, a generator provides you with power pretty quickly. And if you need a lot of power, a geothermal generator really isn't that expensive.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
For comparing the two, the pulverizer beats the macerator at a first glance. Though the macerator has waay more upgrade options. It's like comparing a modern car to an 80s car that slowly turns into a formula 1 car. For those who've used a rotary macerator on 13.5kRPM, you know what I'd talking about. It will blast through a stack of ores in just a few seconds, compared to the 4MJ/t limit of the pulverizer.

If you want to say "But the pulverizer gives extra things too so it's better!", That's what the Industrial Grinder is for. Instead of a set chance, that baby just throws the extras at you in tiny pieces instead. Which overall is better unless you have the luck of a euro millions winner.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 just isn't as good as TE to most people. More people are switching over to TE because they're tired of the annoying nerfs and crafting 7 things for 1 block.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
surely this is bordering on necro, the stuff people said at the start of this thread is out of date now