Safe (No Vulgarity) Server Idea. Good or bad idea?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Really? One idea I had for the aesthetic job description was: "Are you a perfectionist? Do you like making things pretty? Are you disgusted when Tech Builders make their machines as compact as possible, completely ignoring symmetry? Then we want you! (C) Aperture Science Aesthetic Division

Actully yes I am... and Yes it does bother me... I like my builds to look nice and work well so complact it nice but ideally it has to look nice too.

Buckworthy

Jul 29, 2019
Wasn't saying it was good or bad, just saying it was in there. Wasn't censored out like the original posters vision of a neutered minecraft evangelical nirvana

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Wasn't saying it was good or bad, just saying it was in there. Wasn't censored out like the original posters vision of a neutered minecraft evangelical nirvana

Far enough. But if I want to have a pool and say I don't want anyone to piss in it. Pointing out that older pools had piss in them does not really have any relations to what I want in my Pool.

Or more to the point just beucase these were not censored in the good book does not mean they are something we should be ok with on a day to day basis.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
By older pool that has piss in it you mean the Bible right? Just wanted to be clear.

That would appear to be what his analogy stated, yes. Although if you think he is directly comparing the two, you may want to rethink that post you are thinking of typing up.

Buckworthy

Jul 29, 2019
I admit i was being incendiary and playing with words just for the sake of joy that came with it. Peace to all and apologies to any that took offense. Just such a fun topic I couldn't help but poke at it a little.

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
I know that you don't want to pay for a server, and you want to build a sub-sect community of like minded minecraft players. You can defiantly do that with the way other gaming communities that host their own server, and that's donations. It will never hurt to ask your community for donations to help off set some of the cost of renting/owning a server. Renting a server will have a better cost benefit as you don't have to worry about bumping up your internet connect to your home to handle the traffic connecting to a server you have running in your basement. Not only that you don't have to learn how to administrate your server either. Just put in a ticket, and BAM admins onsite will do the work. What this all boils down to is if your community is great, and the people that play really like the server. Then they will donate to be able to play on a nice clean server with out worry of some douche nutt coming in, and ruining their good clean wholesome fun.

Just think of it like a Field of Dreams type of thing. If you build it they will come.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I know that you don't want to pay for a server.
I am completely fine with paying for a server. I have the money, but I don't want to set it up until I have some really good ideas. And right now, the really good ideas I need are a nice description or some witty job descriptions for grunts, aesthetic builders, and technical builders. Anyone have any ideas?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, one: Disregard that ENTIRE mentality, and, instead of trying to set up a community around gimmicks, build a community around what you value and let your membership figure out the right 'y' word to make the server called "HoLY" for short, and the like. If you waste your time in that stage of planning, you will be stuck forever.

Witty bollocks is not something you should force, nor is the description something you need to make "nice". Describe it as a family friendly server, maybe another two to eight things you want the server to value, and get it set up. Good luck!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with Guswuts.... you should not be looking for jobs to fill. But community members. Your not making a corp your making a sort of family. When was the last time you made your kids apply for that role of kid?

Put it like this... you get a bounch of freindly like minded supportive people toghter and talent will show up. Either becuase you got some talented people or becuase everyone helps and learns to be better

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you really want to bring home to idea of religious structures (anyone will happily build fancy looking churches and cathedrals and monasteries because they often look cool) and overdo it, any kid friendly server will work fine provided you aren't also looking for discussion among fellow christians at the same time. If just buildings and safe language any kid friendly would work fine, if you want more community I'd suggest looking in more protestant places for your minecraft crowd and convince them onto an FTB server (and one to upkeep, apparently XD)

I don't know how big you intend the server to be, but job titles seems to be overdoing it. Nicknames will occur naturally.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Kk. I still need those witty/funny job descriptions. I have Aesthetic down, but I still need grunts and Technical. Also, Holy means Set apart for God. Some people may just be here to avoid vulgarity and may not be Christian.
BTW, the aesthetic description is: Are you a perfectionist? Do you like making things pretty? Are you disgusted when Tech Builders make their machines as compact as possible, completely ignoring symmetry? Then we want you! (C) Aperture Science Aesthetic Division

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the kids at my church who play MC just started. They don't know very much about Feed the Beast. But yeah, this is a kid-friendly server. I guess family kind of works. And I have seen a lot of children with amazing aesthetic talents. I do have to say I am not as aesthetically inclined as some, but I know what looks nice or not. I fit more into the Technical class, making things overcomplicated. That gives me an idea for a Tech job description:
Do you like making amazing machines to do the simplest tasks? Do you have ideas buzzing around your head for new test elemen-- We mean, machines to help us out? Are you ready to make your machines as compact as possible, whilst not ignoring Aesthetic builders' constant screams for symmetrical builds? Then we want you! (C) Aperture Science Test Ele- Technical Division

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I have 2 settings and 2 settings only:

MAKE IT WORK. I don't give a crap or big or small, the most convenient route for me ot make it work NOW, often limited by resources at the time.

MAKE IT PRETTY. I usually go this late game because I have expensive taste. I have used weeks of quarrying iron in my latest workshop and I've only done about 1/2 of the first floor :( I am seriously attempting of setting up one of those witch spawners suggested because I'm running out of hte glowstone with the 10000's I've used on redstone lights so far...

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with Guswuts.... you should not be looking for jobs to fill. But community members. Your not making a corp your making a sort of family. When was the last time you made your kids apply for that role of kid?

Put it like this... you get a bounch of freindly like minded supportive people toghter and talent will show up. Either becuase you got some talented people or becuase everyone helps and learns to be better

We are the Guswuts. Resistance is futile. You will be wut'd!

Kk. I still need those witty/funny job descriptions. I have Aesthetic down, but I still need grunts and Technical. Also, Holy means Set apart for God. Some people may just be here to avoid vulgarity and may not be Christian.
BTW, the aesthetic description is: Are you a perfectionist? Do you like making things pretty? Are you disgusted when Tech Builders make their machines as compact as possible, completely ignoring symmetry? Then we want you! (C) Aperture Science Aesthetic Division

I'm using the example of my earlier suggestion for a server name to define why, exactly, your current train of thought is a bad path. You could spend hours, days even, looking through words that start with the letter 'y'. Heck, I spent ten minutes looking on my own, roughly, before my utility function defined my current action as wasteful.

Don't worry about it being funny/witty. Just define it as it is. And do NOT try and look for "grunts" and technicians. Look for community members that want to join a brand new server that will be family friendly. You don't need to practice serverenics at this point, because what you need is a community, even if they make their stuff compact and ignore symmetry. If you try and meter that stuff at the start, you will not end up with a community most surely.

That aside, you can add those things to the listing as things you are looking for, but don't try and grade people using a system you're making up on the spot as I can assure you that you lack the server administration experience to really get a feeling for how it will work. Give it time, and get your toes wet before jumping into the deep end.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
But see that is just it. You realy don't need jobs. You need commuity members.

Jobs suggest you expect something out of them. Like they HAVE to build stuff and they HAVE to make it just so.

I'm all for building crazy stuff... but I dont think I want that to be my job on some server... I just want to hang out and do stuff. And I can promise you most of your members will want to do the same.

Sure you can have projects and the such. But yeah just advoid the whole job thing. Being a server admin is less the role of leader and more the role of .... well hes the cool guy that pays the bills and you hang out with.