[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Be careful. If those are FMP, you can run into lag with enough of them in one locale. Same issue with Carpenter's blocks unfortunately. I haven't tried immibis' microblocks in a long time so they might have the same issue, might not.
They're Forge, unforgeunately. I'll see what I can do to reduce lag, but microblocks seem to be the only thing I'm good at building (aside from interiors. I make a damn good wallpaper).

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Be careful. If those are FMP, you can run into lag with enough of them in one locale. Same issue with Carpenter's blocks unfortunately. I haven't tried immibis' microblocks in a long time so they might have the same issue, might not.

I'm beginning to wonder how much "enough of them in one locale" is. I'd heard the same thing, and so started leaning away from FMP and Carpenter's Blocks, but have since re-added them. Maybe I'm just not using them in enough quantity to notice lag yet. (hopefully!)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
It's more than a handful and less than an entire chunk. When you start coating mid-sized bases in 'em you start getting really bad lag. Certain carpenter's blocks are worse than others... like I think the fences are the worst of the bunch and it still takes a few hundred before a high end machine notices anything.

But for example, Morveliara's castle from Forgecraft 2 (last season) is pretty impressively laggy. I'm pretty sure it's all client lag, but I haven't dug into it.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
In the interest of science, I cleared out a chunk in my current pack and set a cube of various sizes filled with Carpenter's Blocks (the Barrier, or Fence).

I set the test within a single chunk. For me, a cube measuring 16x16x29 (length, width, height) - or 7,424 blocks - just barely started to register on my FPS. However, adding any further layers of blocks instantly dropped me from 60 fps to around 2 fps.

However, this was just assuming I did nothing other than walk around. Placing or removing any blocks whatsoever anywhere near that chunk resulted in a marked delay of a couple seconds per block altered.

For all practical purposes, lag actually starts appearing for block placement/removal at a much lower number - again on my system, I started noticing minor placement lag after only two layers (512 carpenter's barriers) were present.

I then changed out all of the carpenter's barriers for regular carpenter's blocks (untextured), again at the 16x16x29 size, and suffered a slight drop in FPS as it did with the barriers. However, there was NO lag in the surrounding area when breaking or removing blocks.

In fact, I was able to fill the chunk to the build limit of 256 (for me this was 45,560 blocks, as I started at Y76 on a bit of a mountain.

I suffered no block lag, and the FPS still was only marginally affected. For those with morbid curiosity, my FPS (unlocked, so not tied to the monitor frame rate) without any blocks placed, is around 494 FPS. With the carpenter's blocks placed to the height limit, it dropped to about 482.

Locking my framerate down to 60, like I would assume a number of more normal people might do, the framerates went from 60 (duh) to about 57.

Changing from blocks to stairs (carpenter's versions) apart from some initial lag, again settled to around 482 (or 57 locked) FPS.

So there appeared to be some merit to @TomeWyrm's advice regarding the barriers in particular. I have not noticed the other blocks being particularly terrible yet. Carpenter's Ladders had some initial lag when I originally placed them in, but it also settled down to insignificant levels within a few seconds.

I then tried this with Agricraft fences, Minecraft Vanilla fences, and Immersive Engineering fences. None of them produced any significant lag at all.

I was unable to test FMP as I had no easy way to edit in the blocks with the mods I had at hand.

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
I am interested in doing this challenge again, I did some of it once before and enjoyed it, but there wasn't enough guidelines for me to go on and I suck at building, so it sort of trailed off....

What are my best options for modpacks to use while doing the challenge? Both mod-wise and restriction-wise. I want lots of mods to play with, when I can, but any in-game restrictions would also be great, just to make sure I am not doing something I shouldn't be :p

I am planning on having a look at the files from the first dropbox link on the below Reddit page for my requirements for each stage, let me know if that one is good, or if there is a better way/place to find them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2w1nbm/refugee_to_regent_challenge/

I will start watching some of the let's plays I can find also - I watched some of Mobius last time.

I'd love to be able to do the challenge with someone who can build awesome cool buildings for me xD That way we can both explore and they can build the buildings to look cool

Just quoting myself as I'm not sure anyone saw my last post because it had to wait for a moderator to allow it to be seen as it was my first post and had a link. Hopefully this one gets seen.. :p

I am thinking of starting tomorrow, so I may post some progress pics at some point later this week.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Stupid question for those in this thread that might fiddle with @Reika's RotaryCraft... why does lava under a blast furnace in a desert (RotaryCraft v7f) get to 645C but if I attach a friction heater to the side of the exact same Blast Furnace, and send it not-quite-the-full-output of a steam engine it drops to 598C?

Desert location, ambient heat is 45C.
Put lava under it, heats to 645C.
Attach friction heater sending 14.336kW, 112 Nm Torque, 128 rad/s and heat drops to 598C.

Yes, I know if I sent the full output of the steam engine to the friction heater, I'd get marginally over 600C, but it would still be cooling it from the 645C it had with just the lava under it. I'm diverting a small amount of energy to a pump to keep the steam engine cool, that's why I am not sending everything to the heater.

I wasn't expecting a lot of a heat boost, but I certainly wasn't expecting a friction heater to cool the furnace. :)

From my perspective it looks like the friction heater replaces the heat source for the blast furnace, it doesn't provide additional heat to existing heat sources. This may well be working as intended, it just struck me as unexpected behavior.

I'm still wrapping my head around the systems, and pulling out things like ExtraUtilities and EnderIO as I figure out more of the RotaryCraft way of getting things done.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Basically? Balance. The same reason you can't make free power from the nether. His thermodynamics calculations are... kinda screwy in places.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Just quoting myself as I'm not sure anyone saw my last post because it had to wait for a moderator to allow it to be seen as it was my first post and had a link. Hopefully this one gets seen.. :p

I am thinking of starting tomorrow, so I may post some progress pics at some point later this week.

We saw your first post, and I responded to it. I believe the dropbox link you're referencing is actually a link to my dropbox in fact. ;)

You can use that if you like, or you can refer back to the top post for links to the updated wiki. @Maul_Junior did get a few things cleaned up and does also have a link on there to the old content as well. He calls it the "Classic Wiki" I believe.

One thing you may or may not have noticed is that the people on this forum DO tend to invoke "The Rule of Cool" when they play -- @VaalDeth for example, plays with a slightly modified version of the ages to alter when certain resources become available to him. It makes sense, and it's cool.

@The Mobius Archives follows pretty closely to the original spirit of the City Build Challenge (pre-dating R2R) and ha even reset his world during the challenge when he migrated from 1.6.4 to 1.7.10 with an interesting storyline element. Both of them can be a great source of ideas for your own take on the challenge.

@Monarch_of_Gold is a relatively new participant in this thread, but she also has a variation of the challenge going as well, called the Modded Fantasy City Build Challenge. Ultimately her very hectic schedule and inconsistent recordings had me stop following her progress, but it may have picked up again. What she did accomplish was decent though.

If you find a server host, be mindful of how well it performs with modpacks before committing yourself to them. The cheapest host isn't always necessarily the best. Lag is something to be aware of, and even rather experienced players/modders (the Forgecraft group, for example) still deal with it.

Welcome to the thread, @wicked9090

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
We saw your first post, and I responded to it. I believe the dropbox link you're referencing is actually a link to my dropbox in fact. ;)

Yeah I did realize that after posting the second time.
So by the looks of it everyone uses varying modpacks as their starting point and adds/removes mods as they see fit. I was sort of hoping there would be a pack designed for this by now.. But after reading through more of the posts I see that there have been a few attempts and lots of ideas thrown around, but nothing solid yet. Which is fair enough, I can see where the complex parts in regards to ensuring correct progression through the challenge lie. Hopefully one day we shall have one by someone very dedicated to making a pack for it, until then we shall have to make do with what we have. :p

I looked at the Classic Wiki, but didn't like the loss of formatting, which made it soo much easier to read and understand. I also looked at the new one, but as it doesn't have anything for Iron Village onwards yet I thought I'd run out too quickly, then I found the Dropbox link and that seems to have a lot, which is what I wanted.

Yes I have noticed that, I use "The Rule of Cool" for things such as using magnet mode and keep inventory as I hate travelling to where I died to get my stuff and magnet just makes building ect. easier for me and helps speed up a few gathering processes. It's good to see everyone changes slightly different things with "The Rule of Cool".

Oh I didn't know about the reset by Mobius yet, I'm watching from where I got up to last time. I'll have to have a look whether I want to skip ahead to there or not.

I will have to have a quick look at Monarch's stuff later, it's always good to have a few slightly different play styles to have a look at and see what would fit me best.

Yeah, I remember looking a while ago and any that would come close to what I felt I would need for what I wanted were at the $60+ mark a month, some of the better ones upwards of $80-$90. So I think I may just have to wait on the server side of things. I would love to set my current PC up as a server if i ever get around to building a new, much better one.
Yeah lag is annoying, I even have troubles occasionally on my PC with single player worlds when they start getting somewhat busy.

Thanks, glad to be here and hopefully I can add something to the thread, most likely in the form of weird and sometimes randomly weird suggestions.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I was using Hosthorde until recently and I really didn't have many issues with them except for the fact that their only method of uploading is via ftp/Filezilla. For many people that isn't a problem, but I'm in one of those really odd places that has insanely low upload speeds so I prefer to SSH into the server and just download directly from there using much greater download speeds. For normal people without that issue, the FTP/Filezilla stuff really isn't that bad, it's actually pretty common.

They were running I think ~$30/month for their offering, and it really wasn't too bad. Just not exactly what I'm looking for. It was however far better than several more well-known hosts.

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
From memory I looked at some of the more well known ones, such as Creeperhost and a few others, but I was mainly looking for an Australian based host as that's where I live, so that would help with server lag. I didn't seem to have many options though and I wanted to make sure it would be able to sustain anything I wanted to do in the world.

Personally I'd prefer to configure it myself and do downloads also, not sure on my upload speed as I don't upload anything though, so it could still be viable that way also.

Okay, that's more of a reasonable price. How much RAM did you get dedicated?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
They say it's actually unlimited, but there are always "fair use" caveats and clauses so take that with a grain of salt. I think you can expect up to about 6GB of RAM, assuming your server needs that much, without much of an issue. If you need more, they tell you how to just request more in their FAQ. You have to show them you legitimately need the extra RAM and it isn't just a misconfigured, leaky mess, but they aren't bad to work with. My pack was around 200 mods and I never exceeded 6GB, so that was never a barrier for me.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hmm, I remember seeing one based in Australia that looked promising. Now I just have to remember what it was... Arrgh!

Edit: Nope, the ones I found pretty much looked like Fragnet resellers, which are good but a bit pricey for what you get. Maybe one with a server located in Europe? BeastNode is another one that looked like it had potential, but again seems priced more in the $60 range for even a 3GB server.

I think HostHorde has a Netherlands server location, but I don't know how that works out for you latency-wise compared to their US location.

Last edited:

wicked9090

Aug 30, 2015
Well that's sweet. Definitely better than most that charge a set amount for each different RAM amount and file space ect. I may have to have a look into them at some point if I decide to get one up and running.
Yeah I think I estimated 8GB to make sure 200ish+ mods would be fine and a few people's worth of stuff. But 6GB would be a good starting point, especially with the possibility of more with a bit of work.

Most of the Australian ones I looked at weren't that great and the few decent ones were on the higher end pricing wise.
Ouch $60 for 3Gb is expensive, most 3GB from memory were around the $35 mark I think. It's ridiculous how much they vary though, sometimes you can find ones that are actually reasonably priced, then others are so outrageous it's not funny.

Not sure how that would go. Most servers are based in the US that I've played mod packs on and I usually have around a 2-3 second gap for stuff, especially when there are a few people online. Which sucks so I usually stop playing after not long, or try find servers with not many people, which also ends badly.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
What village mayor challenge are you referring to?

I see one on the MCForums from 2011 that seems to have died after about 3 posts, and I saw a YouTube reference from thecoolguy1 that seems to have very vague rules but also seems to have gone bust after three episodes.

Zazzle500Gaming also had a village mayor challenge that seems to have been based on thecoolguy1's videos but he didn't make it past three episodes either. ;)

...again, which one are you referring to?

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
1. Find an already existing village and pledge to be the mayor of it
2. You cannot destroy already existing homes, only improve them
3. You cannot allow any of your villagers to die
4. You must build mineshafts/underground houses before mining
5. Make the village bigger
6. Never go out of vision of the village, if you want to go farther, you must build the town bigger
7. Put your nether portal underground
8. If you go to the nether, you must build a settlement and push villagers from overworld into the nether
9. Same with the end and other dimensions