Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
That mod requires a rewrite of a substantial amount of code. It would require a rewrite of chunks of Forge to be able to support it. There are some mods that cannot be supported by Forge for different reasons, and that is one of those mods.

Why yes it would require actual work to make that mod work.
Along with all the other mods that won't currently work with forge.
Fortunately there are those who are working on replacements and forks of forge. And as they are pretty much re-writing forge from scratch they could with out much more effort re-wright the mod with cubic chunks and other non forge compatible mods in mind.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Fortunately there are those who are working on replacements and forks of forge. And as they are pretty much re-writing forge from scratch they could with out much more effort re-wright the mod with cubic chunks and other non forge compatible mods in mind.
Minecraft's deep inner workings would need to be changed as well - Forge isn't doing that. And I think even if they do change Minecraft and Forge to allow for it, it would probably not be worth the effort.

Reactions: Padfoote

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft's deep inner workings would need to be changed as well - Forge isn't doing that. And I think even if they do change Minecraft and Forge to allow for it, it would probably not be worth the effort.

It should be. That system would require less information to be stored calculated for. Far less.
Think about all that solid rock below you. All that has to be loaded in even if there is nothing happening there. With cubic chunks those arias that are not being interacted with in any way would not even be loaded until they are interacted with.
That alone would be a huge Ram and processor savings.

Let me illustrate it like this. One normal chunk is 16*16*256. A cubic chunk would be 16*16*16. So there would be 16 chunks in the aria of a normal minecraft chunk.
During normal minecraft play a third of them would be underground with nothing you need to interact with. Another third would be the empty sky.
So you would only need a third of the CPU and ram to run the game at a view distance of 16.
This is a gross oversimplification but it gets you the idea.

Another way would be to draw a square. Now draw a circle in that square so that it touches each of the sides of the square. Everything outside of the circle and inside the square is saving in processor power and ram.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I don't think you understand the sheer amount of work required to make that mod compatible with Forge. Unless someone is getting paid for full time work to make it play nice, it isn't going to happen. Ever. It's far too much work for anyone to voluntarily do.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you understand the sheer amount of work required to make that mod compatible with Forge. Unless someone is getting paid for full time work to make it play nice, it isn't going to happen. Ever. It's far too much work for anyone to voluntarily do.
So now you're the one vortex to rule them all...? JK

Reactions: Padfoote

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but Minecraft chunks are already broken down into 16x16x16 sections. The reason they're operated on in limited-height vertical columns though is the performance benefits in things like lighting calculations.

ceselegend

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but Minecraft chunks are already broken down into 16x16x16 sections. The reason they're operated on in limited-height vertical columns though is the performance benefits in things like lighting calculations.
So world is generated by chunks, but lightning calculation is done on 16^3 sections ?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So world is generated by chunks, but lightning calculation is done on 16^3 sections ?
Yes, I almost forgot that. And the data of one chunk is also stored in 16^3 sections.
But making this arbitrarily extensible requires a lot of modification and work nonetheless.

Reactions: ceselegend

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I almost forgot that. And the data of one chunk is also stored in 16^3 sections.
I thought it was more that the world is generated in cubic chunks (16^3), but lighting is done in 256-high chunks, because checking 256 blocks (for sunlight) is faster than checking thousands of blocks high.

I don't expect propagating light like torches would be affected in any way.

I believe the cubic chunks people have ideas for flags and extra bits of metadata in the chunks to get around that though, so the sunlight checks can skip entire chunks or series of chunks in height.

But making this arbitrarily extensible requires a lot of modification and work nonetheless.
Would it though? do most mods code their blocks and interactions with specific hard-coded references/reliance's to the 256-block height limit? That doesn't really sound like a good practice.
Other than worldgen mods, I would think most of the blocks/items/entities in minecraft wouldn't care whatsoever what their co-ordinates are and exactly how they are saved or loaded, aren't these things covered in a layer of some sort?.
Not that I'm doubting that it would be required, this being mojang's code, but if minecraft were coded decently it makes sense that it would only be a case of changing some core world-related code. Worldgen, saving, loading, and some other smaller things like the sunlight checks would need changes, but most other things shouldn't give a damn about the chunks or if they happen to be above 256 or below 0, they should pass that stuff on to the chunk system, which would handle it in any way it wants.

I think this 'amount of work' could be being overestimated.

Then again, having never peeked at the minecraft code, and based on most mod authors opinion of the code, mojang probably made a complete hash of the current chunk system, hardcoded half of it to rely on 256-height and probably didn't add a nice silky layer between loading/saving/chunkstuff and entities/items/blocks.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone knows life has it's ups and downs, and occasionally even bumps along the way, sometimes big, sometimes small. I just wanna say that right now, I'm at such a bump. How big it is, I honestly have no idea, but it's pretty large to the point that I'm reevaluating a lot of things. I'll be okay in the long run, all I have to request is that you guys be patient, especially if you're waiting for an update for 1.8. Unfortunately I have considered retiring, but I'll unlikely be doing that unless it becomes a really severe case. If I do retire, however, I'll be releasing my (closed) sources to the public, with the hopes that someone may take over in the future. Either way, I'll get through it.

Ichun on player.me

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was more that the world is generated in cubic chunks (16^3), but lighting is done in 256-high chunks, because checking 256 blocks (for sunlight) is faster than checking thousands of blocks high.

I don't expect propagating light like torches would be affected in any way.

I believe the cubic chunks people have ideas for flags and extra bits of metadata in the chunks to get around that though, so the sunlight checks can skip entire chunks or series of chunks in height.

Would it though? do most mods code their blocks and interactions with specific hard-coded references/reliance's to the 256-block height limit? That doesn't really sound like a good practice.
Other than worldgen mods, I would think most of the blocks/items/entities in minecraft wouldn't care whatsoever what their co-ordinates are and exactly how they are saved or loaded, aren't these things covered in a layer of some sort?.
Not that I'm doubting that it would be required, this being mojang's code, but if minecraft were coded decently it makes sense that it would only be a case of changing some core world-related code. Worldgen, saving, loading, and some other smaller things like the sunlight checks would need changes, but most other things shouldn't give a damn about the chunks or if they happen to be above 256 or below 0, they should pass that stuff on to the chunk system, which would handle it in any way it wants.

I think this 'amount of work' could be being overestimated.

Then again, having never peeked at the minecraft code, and based on most mod authors opinion of the code, mojang probably made a complete hash of the current chunk system, hardcoded half of it to rely on 256-height and probably didn't add a nice silky layer between loading/saving/chunkstuff and entities/items/blocks.

There used to be a mod that changed world height limit. It was kinda laggy as it multiplied system resource requirements. 2x hight meant everything was doubled.
With cubic chunks even if the height was doubled all that extra would not even be loaded.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
There used to be a mod that changed world height limit. It was kinda laggy as it multiplied system resource requirements. 2x hight meant everything was doubled.
With cubic chunks even if the height was doubled all that extra would not even be loaded.

If the system worked as intended then yes, there's no need to load the areas above or below the player.

This is all rather academic though.

In other discussion,
Another Thermal Expansion preview!
b6fcd753b3.png

These machines take water, Phyto-grow, and 20RF/t to output 1 of whatever the crop outputs every 18 seconds or 3 every 24 seconds if you use Rich Phyto-grow at 400 RF/t. Accompanying IRC log for whomever is interested.

I think NJM1564 might be onto something with the 'next least used block'.

In order to set up these things you need to use two resources that, personally I've always thought of as the most useless items in thermal expansion; niter and slag. They need some weird feedback loops in order to produce, and are only really useful in a few fringe recipes that hardly warrant setting up the feedback loop which by its nature mass produces the items over time.

So to make this phyto stuff and run the machines, you need:
A tree farm and a sawmill OR a tree farm, furnace and a pulveriser. (for sawdust or charcoal dust)
An igneous extruder and pulveriser (for sand)
Using the sand, an Induction furnace and a furnace (for slag)
Using the sand, a cyclic assembler and a pulveriser (for niter)
An aqueous accumulator (for water)
A power source, not only for the new machine, but for all the machines in the chain

Or, you can set up a traditional farm with three or so plots per crop, and if you're chunkloading you'll have all the plants you'll ever need...

And urg, more thermal dynamics teasers. Those pipes have to be getting close by now...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If the system worked as intended then yes, there's no need to load the areas above or below the player.

This is all rather academic though.

In other discussion,

I think NJM1564 might be onto something with the 'next least used block'.

In order to set up these things you need to use two resources that, personally I've always thought of as the most useless items in thermal expansion; niter and slag. They need some weird feedback loops in order to produce, and are only really useful in a few fringe recipes that hardly warrant setting up the feedback loop which by its nature mass produces the items over time.

So to make this phyto stuff and run the machines, you need:
A tree farm and a sawmill OR a tree farm, furnace and a pulveriser. (for sawdust or charcoal dust)
An igneous extruder and pulveriser (for sand)
Using the sand, an Induction furnace and a furnace (for slag)
Using the sand, a cyclic assembler and a pulveriser (for niter)
An aqueous accumulator (for water)
A power source, not only for the new machine, but for all the machines in the chain

Or, you can set up a traditional farm with three or so plots per crop, and if you're chunkloading you'll have all the plants you'll ever need...

And urg, more thermal dynamics teasers. Those pipes have to be getting close by now...
Think some people are missing the point. It's an (almost*) dirtless auto farming solution. In a standard pack with other mods, sure, it's "useless", but imagine a themed mod pack that offers the player no (or limited) dirt. With HQM ensuring the player is aware of the crafting chain, it would work well. From my point of view, it's also a lot more interesting then chucking 10 saplings into a barrel to get a piece of dirt and end up with a farm solution that has been in existence since well forever.
* almost because you still need 1 piece of dirt to grow a tree for sawdust

Using Minetweaker, you could change the recipe to not require sawdust (eliminating the need for wood and that one piece of dirt), and switch it for something else from either vanilla or another mod (which opens up other crafting chain potentials)

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Think some people are missing the point. It's an (almost*) dirtless auto farming solution. In a standard pack with other mods, sure, it's "useless", but imagine a themed mod pack that offers the player no (or limited) dirt. With HQM ensuring the player is aware of the crafting chain, it would work well. From my point of view, it's also a lot more interesting then chucking 10 saplings into a barrel to get a piece of dirt and end up with a farm solution that has been in existence since well forever.

Using Minetweaker, you could change the recipe to not require sawdust (eliminating the need for wood and that one piece of dirt), and switch it for something else from either vanilla or another mod (which opens up other crafting chain potentials)

Minetweaker isn't really a good measure of how 'useful' a machine is in and of itself, since using minetweaker changes the entire prerequisites/crafting chain/balance points of the system.

Also, you could already do most of this with minetweaker. It has the ability to make the phyto stuff (with tabula rasa I think), and it has the ability to make it require processing in a machine to create a product. If minetweaker has forestry carpenter support, which I suspect it would, then its a case of phyto + crop + water = item. The only thing missing is daylight. Otherwise you could have a seperate type of phyto stuff for each crop, which includes a water bucket and the crop itself in the recipe, then make it go through a furnace to get the power/machine requirement down, done.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

I think they would be in open beta testing by now but a nasty world chunking bug came up and requiered

And turns any pack into a make A B C pack with no deviation watsoever.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I think they would be in open beta testing by now but a nasty world chunking bug came up and requiered

And turns any pack into a make A B C pack with no deviation watsoever.
Which is no different from packs relying on Ex Nilho and using HQM for a specific set of quests (such as popular modpacks such as Argarian Skies, Crash Landing, Blast Off, etc). This gives the community a "heavy industrial" style approach to farming that is different.

Minetweaker isn't really a good measure of how 'useful' a machine is in and of itself, since using minetweaker changes the entire prerequisites/crafting chain/balance points of the system.

Also, you could already do most of this with minetweaker. It has the ability to make the phyto stuff (with tabula rasa I think), and it has the ability to make it require processing in a machine to create a product. If minetweaker has forestry carpenter support, which I suspect it would, then its a case of phyto + crop + water = item. The only thing missing is daylight. Otherwise you could have a seperate type of phyto stuff for each crop, which includes a water bucket and the crop itself in the recipe, then make it go through a furnace to get the power/machine requirement down, done.
My mention of minetweaker is just to indicate that you could do a lot more with this system/block in a multi-mod environment.

The block is basically just another Induction Smelter, so yes, it's nothing "amazing" as such, but it is an approach that I don't think anyone has taken towards farming yet. So provides a new way to farm, even if it is quite inefficient/material resource heavy. Sounds like most large scale industrial systems... :p

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
My mention of minetweaker is just to indicate that you could do a lot more with this system/block in a multi-mod environment.

The block is basically just another Induction Smelter, so yes, it's nothing "amazing" as such, but it is an approach that I don't think anyone has taken towards farming yet. So provides a new way to farm, even if it is quite inefficient/material resource heavy. Sounds like most large scale industrial systems... :p

I'll have to admit here I think the machine has prospects for being later game fast farming without being very server intensive, for things such as biofuel.

Other than that, It doesn't really stack up to current farming systems, since speed is rarely a factor. when speed and server performance are a factor, It could come into play.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'll have to admit here I think the machine has prospects for being later game fast farming without being very server intensive, for things such as biofuel.

Other than that, It doesn't really stack up to current farming systems, since speed is rarely a factor. when speed and server performance are a factor, It could come into play.
It did make me wonder when I first saw it, what performance does an automated large farm have when you think about all those growth ticks that take place. So yes, in situations, this approach would be an ideal compact solution to generating crops.

The only "off" part is the requirement for wood for both charcoal + sawdust. Still relying on an old fashion tree farm.