The case of the curious framerate.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
Well this is quite odd.
So, I thought it'd be fun to come back to FTB after a couple month hiatus (Buncha new games and life), and knew that the new DW20 Pack was out. So, I decided to download it and attempt to boot it up.

Download= Went by quick, but preparing the minecraft .jar files took like 10 minutes or something stupid
Bootup- 5-10 Minutes
Attempt to join server- about a minute or two

Playing on the server-
This is where things go to crazy. Log on and I have about 8 FPS. Walk around for a little bit, then decide I need Optifine and fastcraft.

*Fastforward 10 minutes later*
Optifine and Fastcraft installed.
Go to load up game again= 15 minutes.
Playing on the server-
8 FPS and massive lag spikes.

So, Optifine and Fastcraft installed, 1.5GB RAM for FTB, game loads up much slower, FPS is 0-8 with massive lag spikes every thirty seconds.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17-5749-laptop/pd?oc=fncwh2404s&model_id=inspiron-17-5749-laptop
Those are my computer specs. Yes, It's a laptop. Yes, it's not terribly good. However it runs all other games I have (Such as Civ V, TF2, CS:GO, Guns of Icarus) at 60-100 FPS. AND NO I CANNOT BUY ANOTHER COMPUTER.

I have no clue what the crap is happening. Anyone able to provide an explanation or fix?

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
You need a better processor, graphics card and cooling. Most of those other games are "Valve: Source Games" They can play on basically all computers.

I had the same problem, My Dell Inspiron 14 r (other numbers here), It just the computer can not handle it. So with my new computer i can play now. So that is my explanation for you. Also possibly you can turn down all video settings and extreme measures, Ubuntu (Wubi).

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
You need a better processor, graphics card and cooling. Most of those other games are "Valve: Source Games" They can play on basically all computers.

I had the same problem, My Dell Inspiron 14 r (other numbers here), It just the computer can not handle it. So with my new computer i can play now. So that is my explanation for you. Also possibly you can turn down all video settings and extreme measures, Ubuntu (Wubi).
All settings are turned down to as low as possible. Also, would buying more RAM help?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
All settings are turned down to as low as possible. Also, would buying more RAM help?

The suggested ram settings for DW20 1.7.10, according to the first post it was introduced in are:

Min. Ram = 2GB
Max. Ram = 4GB
Permgen = 256MB

You will need to look up the command switches for these settings in Java 1.7. They are the new Java default for version 1.8. I'm using 1.8.0_25 with no issues.

These numbers do not include the minimum ram to run your OS version or any "shared video ram", of course. I would guess 6-8GB to be a good minimum ram install.