More 1.7.10 stuff

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
May I ask the status of the compiling now?

Since Slowpoke's just streamed some of the quests, I think I'm allowed to tell you that the quests for the beta release are compiled. We're busy squishing quest related bugs right now.

Well, technically I'm grabbing something to eat right now, and not squishing bugs, but that's besides the point.

Reactions: Yulife

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Since Slowpoke's just streamed some of the quests, I think I'm allowed to tell you that the quests for the beta release are compiled. We're busy squishing quest related bugs right now.

Well, technically I'm grabbing something to eat right now, and not squishing bugs, but that's besides the point.

In some parts of the world these actions are one and the same :eek::D

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Not to the best of my knowledge- quite a lot of info on update progress can be found by following mod pack devs on Twitter and Player.me. But nothing *official*

Dracathio

Jul 29, 2019
Alright Jaded, I am new to the FTB Forums, I know your busy, and you have probably been asked this several times by others; but I am asking this to get some info for friend's on a server I am on.

I have found out that AM2 is being worked on by Mithion for 1 more update, and I am pretty sure with your resources at your claw tips have found this out already, so question is will magequest be waiting for that update to get finished before you do anything about a final product? If so it will most likely make several out there quite happy and bring many more to the table to try to beta test MQ to test out it's stability with AM2. I hope to see a reply from you.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if there was a way to do analytics for your modpacks to see how many people disable quests first thing. I play FTB packs to get a group of mods to play nice together not to get a cheep RPG... Minecraft is fun for it's sandbox nature not for it's RPG ability... I'm not trying to knock your effort which I know is monumental. but I really loved FTB the way it used to be just a group of mods that played nice with each other. now it seams everyone wants to add RPG elements to them and it's killing the fun.

Reactions: d3w10n

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if there was a way to do analytics for your modpacks to see how many people disable quests first thing. I play FTB packs to get a group of mods to play nice together not to get a cheep RPG... Minecraft is fun for it's sandbox nature not for it's RPG ability... I'm not trying to knock your effort which I know is monumental. but I really loved FTB the way it used to be just a group of mods that played nice with each other. now it seams everyone wants to add RPG elements to them and it's killing the fun.

Other than a poll on the forums, no. There is no way to analyse. Optionally disabling mods is all client side. (t renames the mod to mod.disabled or similar, so it won't load)

Non-HQM packs exist, and are still bring actively developed. Resurrection for one. However, it's up to the pack developer to create a fun experience for the player, and if they feel HQM or adding RPG elements is the best route to fit their pack, then the creator will use them. It's their decision. At the end of the day, anyone can slap mods together and call it a pack. It requires a certain uniqueness to be worth playing.

On a side note, "the way FTB used to be" was a structured challenge map, similar to many HQM packs. The open, sandbox modpack style came later. But I know what you mean. FTB- Ultimate onwards.

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
Other than a poll on the forums, no. There is no way to analyse. Optionally disabling mods is all client side. (t renames the mod to mod.disabled or similar, so it won't load)

Non-HQM packs exist, and are still bring actively developed. Resurrection for one. However, it's up to the pack developer to create a fun experience for the player, and if they feel HQM or adding RPG elements is the best route to fit their pack, then the creator will use them. It's their decision. At the end of the day, anyone can slap mods together and call it a pack. It requires a certain uniqueness to be worth playing.

On a side note, "the way FTB used to be" was a structured challenge map, similar to many HQM packs. The open, sandbox modpack style came later. But I know what you mean. FTB- Ultimate onwards.

So HQM is the demon of quests in my minecraft?
I noticed that Resurrection had hit the launcher and was pleased. Prior to that it seemed everything was being held up waiting on quests and that just seemed so silly for minecraft to me. maybe I'm a minority or maybe it's just the quest wanters are a vocal minority, who knows.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
Mage Quest and FTB Lite were both released without quests at first. Most of the FTB packs have taken longer than expected more due to IRL stuff with the pack creators than the quests. For example, I believe @Eyamaz had a computer fire at one point.

As I've said previously, Twitter is the best place to follow modpack devs, and find out about pack progress.

Reactions: tatsu011 and Eyamaz

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
Mage Quest and FTB Lite were both released without quests at first. Most of the FTB packs have taken longer than expected more due to IRL stuff with the pack creators than the quests. For example, I believe @Eyamaz had a computer fire at one point.

As I've said previously, Twitter is the best place to follow modpack devs, and find out about pack progress.
I understand that, and that waiting on quests is the problem. why wait. release when the modpacks are updated not wait on quests. unless you have the data to support a huge number of a huge number of people for some strange reason wanting a RPG in minecraft. Like I said i'm not knocking the time and effort put into these things I know it's monumental. but the modpacks working together is what makes FTB the beautiful thing it is. not quests. I understand we have 2 options at the moment without quests, but there are several that leaves me looking at and wanting to play and and being put off by the quests. unless i'm missing something and there is a way to disable them easily without breaking the pack.

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that, and that waiting on quests is the problem. why wait. release when the modpacks are updated not wait on quests. unless you have the data to support a huge number of a huge number of people for some strange reason wanting a RPG in minecraft. Like I said i'm not knocking the time and effort put into these things I know it's monumental. but the modpacks working together is what makes FTB the beautiful thing it is. not quests. I understand we have 2 options at the moment without quests, but there are several that leaves me looking at and wanting to play and and being put off by the quests. unless i'm missing something and there is a way to disable them easily without breaking the pack.

The only official FTB packs with the HQM mod, and awaiting lit team quests at the moment are FTB Lite and Mage Quest. Both are set up so you can throw away the quest book and just play the modpack. There are no modpacks being held up for release to the public by us writing quests for them. That's not to say that more 1.7 packs aren't in the works - I know for a fact that they are.

From my understanding, the priority for the modpacks is to get the pack out first in an alpha, then add tutorials or quests when ready and if appropriate.

I agree that the packs and the mods themselves are what makes FTB feel special- what we're trying to do with the quests is capture the magic and the "feel" of the modpack in text form, and allow players who may know little about the mods and how they interact to learn about them, as well as providing a fun and potentially challenging experience for more experienced players who want to play through them.

Again, the quests can be completely ignored in Mage Quest and FTB Lite 3.

Reactions: Yulife and EPfencer

Lgweaver

Jul 29, 2019
The only official FTB packs with the HQM mod, and awaiting lit team quests at the moment are FTB Lite and Mage Quest. Both are set up so you can throw away the quest book and just play the modpack. There are no modpacks being held up for release to the public by us writing quests for them. That's not to say that more 1.7 packs aren't in the works - I know for a fact that they are.

From my understanding, the priority for the modpacks is to get the pack out first in an alpha, then add tutorials or quests when ready and if appropriate.

I agree that the packs and the mods themselves are what makes FTB feel special- what we're trying to do with the quests is capture the magic and the "feel" of the modpack in text form, and allow players who may know little about the mods and how they interact to learn about them, as well as providing a fun and potentially challenging experience for more experienced players who want to play through them.

Again, the quests can be completely ignored in Mage Quest and FTB Lite 3.
I am glad for this and I am surprised by it also. thank you for clearing it up for me. I guess I am a bit dense in my old age. I'll go shake my cane and put up my keep off the grass sign some where else now. ( totters off ... )

Reactions: Bashful Giant