64x [64x] Soartex Fanver - Smooth and Clean FTB

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question. I am enjoying this texture pack, but I have one slight problem with it. The wood planks appear to look like wooden crates when you build with them, and I'd like to remove those vertical lines on them so they're continuous horizontal planks (like Vanilla textures).. Is there any alternative textures I could use for this? I'm currently using the Invictus pack available through the launcher for Direwolf 1.7.10

Thanks.

Reactions: rhn

SoartexFanver

Jul 29, 2019

Currently there is no way to get a hold of alternatives for either of the packs we create (Fanver, Invictus). But our "Customizer" which will be the system to change textures is being developed and we hope to have it released in the next few months. But at the present time you may have to edit the textures yourself.

If you have any other questions please do ask.

~ artdude543

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have a question. I am enjoying this texture pack, but I have one slight problem with it. The wood planks appear to look like wooden crates when you build with them, and I'd like to remove those vertical lines on them so they're continuous horizontal planks (like Vanilla textures).. Is there any alternative textures I could use for this? I'm currently using the Invictus pack available through the launcher for Direwolf 1.7.10

Thanks.
You could try Towerwood Planks from Twilight Forest. They have a slightly more "plank" look(in Soartex Fanver at least).

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Currently there is no way to get a hold of alternatives for either of the packs we create (Fanver, Invictus). But our "Customizer" which will be the system to change textures is being developed and we hope to have it released in the next few months. But at the present time you may have to edit the textures yourself.

If you have any other questions please do ask.

~ artdude543

http://soartex.net/news/view/3 Posted in March, 2014. We're in January 2015. How long does a simple customizer take to create? Why can't there be alternative textures available through some other means? As I have no artistic talents to edit the textures myself, that is why I asked. And here you are telling me to edit it myself. What gives?

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
http://soartex.net/news/view/3 Posted in March, 2014. We're in January 2015. How long does a simple customizer take to create? Why can't there be alternative textures available through some other means? As I have no artistic talents to edit the textures myself, that is why I asked. And here you are telling me to edit it myself. What gives?
Calm down cowboy.
There are a lot of textures inc. MC and Mods you would have over 1k if not more(bees).
To add these all to a customizer takes time + new versions can handle textures different.
And constant adding blocks to a mod it will take time for them to complete

Send using magic that is TapaTalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It is super simple to find another texture pack that has the textures you like and then copy and replace those textures into the Soartex zips. I am personally doing that myself with things that I don't like/aren't x64'ed yet.

SoartexFanver

Jul 29, 2019

Creating a Customizer is not as easy as you think. We have a small team of web developers thats includes myself and one other person, we also both with with managing the rest of Soartex along with IRL things. So we don't always have free time to spare on web design. Our old Customizer did not do enough to what we wanted, so we are building a new one from complete scratch which means new code along with testing out ideas to improve to system and to add a whole bunch of new awesome features for you guys to use. We have apologised on our forums that progress has been slow, but we don't rush anything it will be released once it's stable and does all the features we have written down on our list. Again I apologise for the lack of a Customizer but we hope to have it release soon (We are going to publish another post about the current status of the Customizer in a few days time) Here is some updated screenshots of the Customizer so far: http://imgur.com/a/2Tzdf

As @rhn has said you could use textures from other packs to get the plank feel you want, we don't publish alternatives anywhere else apart from the Customizer this allows us to control the flow of textures along with updating them if bugs are found or to fix with Minecraft version changes. One key thing to remember here, the Soartex is just a small team of people and we do this for free out of our own free time. So things that you may think should be done amazing fast will be slower, as we prefer quality over quantity.

And thank you @Plainy for understanding how much work adding textures to a Customizer takes.

~ artdude543

Last edited:

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
As @rhn has said you could use textures from other packs to get the plank feel you want, we don't publish alternatives anywhere else apart from the Customizer this allows us to control the flow of textures along with updating them if bugs are found or to fix with Minecraft version changes.

So it's impossible to offer say, an alternative textures zip file and those of us that'd like to customize it without some fancy-smancy customizer can do so manually inside the zip archives?

SoartexFanver

Jul 29, 2019

To offer a download with all the alternatives would mean us hosting a file which is now reaching the 2GB mark. So in that sense no we will not be offering a download. Again I'm sorry that this could be causing an inconvenience to yourself, but we are working as fast as we can to get the Customizer out for public usage. But you are going to have to wait like the rest of our user-base.

~ artdude543

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
To offer a download with all the alternatives would mean us hosting a file which is now reaching the 2GB mark. So in that sense no we will not be offering a download. Again I'm sorry that this could be causing an inconvenience to yourself, but we are working as fast as we can to get the Customizer out for public usage. But you are going to have to wait like the rest of our user-base.

~ artdude543

What do you have in such a file? Uncompressed raw TIFF images and/or photoshop documents?

SoartexFanver

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah I'm not even going to bother answering that one. You clearly don't understand how or what a Customizer is for. We have tonnes of alternatives which means it has a large file size foot print. This is simple logic here I don't see how you can not see how. There is nothing more I can help you with; You will just have to wait for us to release the Customizer.

~ artdude543

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I'm not even going to bother answering that one. You clearly don't understand how or what a Customizer is for. We have tonnes of alternatives which means it has a large file size foot print. This is simple logic here I don't see how you can not see how. There is nothing more I can help you with; You will just have to wait for us to release the Customizer.

~ artdude543

tons of alternatives? So like what, 50+ alternative textures for each and every block in the game? Some even being duplicates since textures that weren't "officialized" are still in as alternatives?

This still doesn't answer my original question as to if there's alternative wood plank textures to use that will give me a more vanilla feel instead of the boxy-crate style used everywhere.

DrumMaster4

Jul 29, 2019
@SephirothWS Hi, I'm a texture reviewer and moderator with the Soartex Pack and I've come to answer your question to get this matter/issue resolved.

Yes, there is an alternative wooden plank. Off the top of my head I honestly do not remember if it matches your specifications required but I know there are alternative ones. If you head over to soartex.net, for example, and use the search bar at the top right(?) of the page, you could type in "plank" or "wood" or something of the sort and find textures.
The other way of doing this is going to the archive sections of the forums and searching through the blocks category to see if there are any planks that suit your needs. With this method, however, it will be a lot more time consuming because there are multiple threads to search through that span months and years. So if you choose to go through the archives, be warned.

Or, you could wait until the customizer was completed and search for the textures there. I'm sorry that the customizer has not been released since the "official news update" of March 2014, but it hit quite a few roadblocks because it was being built from scratch and not using the existing, now-defunct customizer. There are only two people working on it and they are not robots, so it won't just happen overnight. The two of them are trying to make the customizer as perfect as possible from the start, so the only changes that have to be made are to add textures. And that takes a while.

Please understand that the entire team of Soartex Fanver is comprised of real people, and this is a hobby that we enjoy, not a job. We're sorry that our work doesn't fit your timeline, but life happens and it is what it is. It's hard enough to maintain a Vanilla pack, but look how much else Soartex has in the way of mods and other packs: it's a lot to maintain! If you don't like the Soartex schedule, then you can find another pack, use planks that suit your needs from other packs until the customizer is released, or wait patiently until the customizer is completed.

Cheers!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
tons of alternatives? So like what, 50+ alternative textures for each and every block in the game? Some even being duplicates since textures that weren't "officialized" are still in as alternatives?

This still doesn't answer my original question as to if there's alternative wood plank textures to use that will give me a more vanilla feel instead of the boxy-crate style used everywhere.
What I think he means is that they have alternatives(maybe 1-3 alternatives) for a lot of blocks(thousands, tens of thousands, maybe even hundred thousands). How exactly would you want them to distribute, update, and host all the zip files containing all the combinations that any one person might want? It is in all practicality impossible.

Shoeboxam

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks.
Heyo Sephiroth, glad you like Invictus. I'm extremely hesitant to commit to alternative textures for mod support, because contributors/staff are already stretched thin. I know I am incapable of fulfilling requests like this by hand, because I am very limited by time and it's a lot of work! However... I, too, would like to see alternates for common materials (like the planks). I've been practicing texture generation via gimp scripting and python recently in order to be able to fulfill requests like this... essentially, I want to synthesize elementary textures (for instance, the hundreds of continuous plank textures you're requesting) through algorithms.

Here's an example script that generates fence textures from planks:
https://github.com/Shoeboxam/Gimp_PythonFu/blob/master/mc_fence.py

I can't guarantee results, but I'll see what I can do for you. ;) You'll still have to edit results in yourself, all I'm talking about is a sane method for creating vast amounts of content like this.

The point made by the other staff members of Soartex above are all completely valid though- distribution and user interface for modded alternates is extremely complex and beyond the capabilities of the system we've designed.

Last edited:

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there is an alternative wooden plank. Off the top of my head I honestly do not remember if it matches your specifications required but I know there are alternative ones. If you head over to soartex.net, for example, and use the search bar at the top right(?) of the page, you could type in "plank" or "wood" or something of the sort and find textures.

This, unfortunately brings me to another problem. I keep getting smacked in the face with "please log in to view screenshots" because of some funky permissions set on attachments for some reason. :v

Last edited:

DrumMaster4

Jul 29, 2019
This, unfortunately brings me to another problem. I keep getting smacked in the face with "please log in to view screenshots" because of some funky permissions set on attachments for some reason. :v
Is this for screenshots and attachments or just screenshots? I encourage you to make an account, though! It's very easy to register and you can stay up to date with news, releases, etc. :)

What I think he means is that they have alternatives(maybe 1-3 alternatives) for a lot of blocks(thousands, tens of thousands, maybe even hundred thousands). How exactly would you want them to distribute, update, and host all the zip files containing all the combinations that any one person might want? It is in all practicality impossible.
Indeed! I think, at one point or another, it was tried to have a place for a lot of alternative textures where they could be downloaded but then it never got anywhere, so we just relied on the forums. With the customizer, though, all of the alternative textures will eventually be posted for everyone's convenience.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Is this for screenshots and attachments or just screenshots? I encourage you to make an account, though! It's very easy to register and you can stay up to date with news, releases, etc. :)

Screenshots posted as attachments. I click on them and get the error. Would registering require me to jump through hoops (a.k.a. clicking links sent to email which is unnecessary and annoying) to properly register?