[1.7.10, 1.8.9, 1.9] Glass Shards and Ice Shards

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Glass Shards
Textures made by @Plainy and @xTordX

Have you always been annoyed at how glass in Minecraft doesn't drop anything when broken? This small and simple mod changes that.

Breaking glass blocks or panes has a random chance of dropping glass shards. You can smelt them in a furnace to get your glass back. So you now have a lossy way of converting panes back into blocks.
You can configure the probability as you see fit. Panes drop accordingly less than blocks.

Stained glass and panes drop stained glass shards. Uncolored glass shards can be stained with dyes, and you can remove the color from glass shards by using gunpowder. These features are configurable too.

Also, you can use your shards to make a sword. It is fancy looking and has iron level attack damage but it doesn't last very long.

The shards dropping is compatible with Chisel (requires 2.3.x), MineFactory Reloaded, Tinkers Construct and EnderIO glass if configured.

Ice Shards
Ice Shards is a small addon for Glass Shards which makes ice and packed ice drop ice shards.
The ice shards can be crafted back into ice or packed ice.

It also adds a Frozen Pickaxe which can harvest ice faster and prevents it from turning into water, so you don't make a mess when building with ice.

The drop chance is configurable separately from Glass Shards, and separately for regular and packed ice.

It has compatibility with other mods, just as well as Glass Shards.

Pictures:
2015-01-28_17.25.52.png2015-04-16_20.10.12.png

Mod Spotlight by Alpha_Gaming:

Recipes:
All these recipes can also be seen in NEI
Smelting glass shards into glass blocks:
smelting.png

Using dyes to color clear glass shards:
coloring.png

Using gunpowder to remove the color:

uncoloring.png

Crafting glass swords:
sword-colored.png

Ice Shards:
Crafting Ice:
ice.png

Crafting Packed Ice:
packed-ice.png

Crafting the Frozen Piackaxe:
frozen-pickaxe.png

Downloads:
Glass Shards

Source code at Github

Ice Shards
Source code at Github

License:
You may include this mod in modpacks, but it would be nice if you let me know.

Copyright (c) 2015 ljfa-ag

Glass Shards is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

Glass Shards is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
along with Glass Shards. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

Found issues?
Please report them to the issue tracker or alternatively post them here. Make sure that you are using the latest version.
Known issues:
  • (1.8 only) The dropped item looks glitched at the edge
    No idea what is causing that. I blame Mojang.
  • "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraft.item.Item$ToolMaterial.setRepairItem"
    Update your Forge to at least version 10.13.2.1291.
  • "cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: isChiselCorrectVersion"
    Update Glass Shards to at least 1.3.2

Changelog

Last edited:

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Glass shards?
I think your better off renaming it to Glass Dust since it really looks more like dust.
If you look at the petals from Botania and would skin them to be glass I would say yes those are glass shards but this really is more like dust.
And no im not saying ripp off botania but create something similiar to it.
And I will add this because it is annoying as f-bomb here.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I think your better off renaming it to Glass Dust since it really looks more like dust.
It really does
It's supposed to kinda look like a pile of shards. A petal would look like one single shard, but it doesn't make sense to cook a single shard in a furnace to get a full block does it?
Like I wrote, I'm a terrible artist. What I did was importing the vanilla redstone texture into GIMP and making a new layer above it, coloring it pixel by pixel based on the redstone texture.
It would look good if it actually was a pile of glass dust IMO.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
It really does
It's supposed to kinda look like a pile of shards. A petal would look like one single shard, but it doesn't make sense to cook a single shard in a furnace to get a full block does it?
Like I wrote, I'm a terrible artist. What I did was importing the vanilla redstone texture into GIMP and making a new layer above it, coloring it pixel by pixel based on the redstone texture.
It would look good if it actually was a pile of glass dust IMO.

You probably would be better off taking some of the dusts in another mod or sugar for that matter.
Its already white ya know with a simple Hue/Saturation filter in Photoshop(not gimp i personally hate it) you could collor it.
And erase some parts with a nerfed eraser to add a little transparancy.

Send me a pm if you want me to do it just going to need the texture and Ill see if i can work something out for you ;)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
You probably would be better off taking some of the dusts in another mod or sugar for that matter.
Its already white ya know with a simple Hue/Saturation filter in Photoshop(not gimp i personally hate it) you could collor it.
Wouldn't it still look like dust then?
I have no idea how to make it look like a pile of shards as opposed to dust.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it still look like dust then?
I have no idea how to make it look like a pile of shards as opposed to dust.
I think you could justify saying the shards were pulverized?
Maybe if you were to smelt them you'd get shards?

And Ill look if i can make a real shard looking thing... perhaps... I have an idea but that would more be like a glass pane shard.... xd

pfff xD http://puu.sh/ehjEd/3714e585e7.png

Last edited:

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Could I offer a suggestion? What if, when glass is broken, it drops one of these glass dusts/shards. This dust/shard could then be smelted into sand (kind of like re-melting the glass). Then, if you want, the sand could be smelted back into glass again. Saves on resources, but consumes a bit more coal/power/whatnot.

Also: I based this off of Automagy's Shattered Avarice Pearl. Magenta-ish glass shard:
7q4pPHj.png

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Could I offer a suggestion? What if, when glass is broken, it drops one of these glass dusts/shards.
Well it's a configurable random chance as of now. You mean always drop one?

This dust/shard could then be smelted into sand (kind of like re-melting the glass)
Smelting shards into sand makes no sense imo. But I might add Pulverizer, SAG Mill and/or Macerator recipes for that.

Also: I based this off of Automagy's Shattered Avarice Pearl. Magenta-ish glass shard:
7q4pPHj.png
Not bad, but it doesn't really look like a full block's worth of glass. More like a little bit of glass.
Also, I'd need it in all 17 possible colors.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Not bad, but it doesn't really look like a full block's worth of glass. More like a little bit of glass.
Also, I'd need it in all 17 possible colors.

Hue/saturation photoshop/gimp would do the trick.
not sure if you could get the exact colors but it would get damn close to it :p

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Also do you need only a texture or also the model to go with it?
Not a big fan of Techne tbh its really annoying how you have to repeadidly have to click little tiny f... arrows to move it around.
Otherwise I could probably try some shapes/forms/stuff when i get back in 2-3 hours

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't need any model. It's just an item after all.
A 3D shape would be kinda odd for items, but if you really want go ahead :D

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't need any model. It's just an item after all.
A 3D shape would be kinda odd for items, but if you really want go ahead :D
Well i'll see what i can come up with ill first make a general shape in photoshop and model it afterwards cant make it so it will act good in the game since i cant code for shit so you have to do that

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Because silk touch is for chumps and wusses. Real men reclaim their glass by picking up the broken shards with their bare hands and throws them in to a furnace that is hot as hell.

This would makes for a decen early game solution to those whoopse glass placing moments though.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
1900cf9cf4.png

it is still way way way way way to crisp but I made it in a 128x128 square going to rescale it to 32x32 then 16x16 and see if its still looking normal by then...

Not a broken image btw... looks awfully a lot like it tho like the old ones from WXP xD

db3ea22d07.png

Added a 1px drop shadow which you can barely see its not amazing but its a first draft.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
it is still way way way way way to crisp but I made it in a 128x128 square going to rescale it to 32x32 then 16x16 and see if its still looking normal by then...

Not a broken image btw... looks awfully a lot like it tho like the old ones from WXP xD

db3ea22d07.png

Added a 1px drop shadow which you can barely see its not amazing but its a first draft.
That doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to resacle from 128x128 to 16x16.

By the way, version 0.2-alpha is now released. It comes with proper support for Chisel glass.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to resacle from 128x128 to 16x16.

By the way, version 0.2-alpha is now released. It comes with proper support for Chisel glass.

Well it worked right xD?
Going to see if I can come up with one tonight again.
What is actually the standard size for textures?
I always assumed you could follow the texture packs wit sizes.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What is actually the standard size for textures?
I always assumed you could follow the texture packs wit sizes.
16x16 is the standard, but they can also be larger.
I would kinda like to keep it in style with Minecraft items which all have 16x16 textures.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
16x16 is the standard, but they can also be larger.
I would kinda like to keep it in style with Minecraft items which all have 16x16 textures.
Sure no problem.
mini canvas size here i come! WHOOOSH~~

Edit:
65a22902e9.png
<- wont bother the fill here compared to the two others :p
It actually looks a bit like the glass in MC itself(if you ask me).
v2.0
2547bae459.png
v2.01
335fb3dbd8.png
it has a fill with low opacity
I like V2 better v1 looks a bit like a cropped version
btw it are screenshots I'll make the PNG in a bit and have to add a low opacity for the inside
v3.0
24df8f54cc.png
v3.01
57a2882ca5.png

dis one is sexy <3

v3 uploaded
iV70aQZ9U4fOd.png

v2 uploaded
i2njA8SM76fAE.png

v1 uploaded
ibac0xgDU26Q8i.png

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That's how it looks ingame:
2015-01-11_07.35.51.png
Minecraft doesn't render the alpha channel in-world, which makes it look weird. It's fine when it is in the inventory though.
I'd suggest using the partial transparency only for the stained shards. That's how I did it with the current textures.

By the way, you can try and test your textures ingame yourself by dropping them into the .jar file, into the "assets/glass_shards/textures/items" folder