Modpack Release

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between this pack and FTB Ultimate was ...

As you haven't quoted a post your replying to and this thread covers all the FTB mod packs I will give a general reply from the little I know - the DW20 pack (for instance) modifies recipes to balance the packs, some mods make getting some items very easy and others make getting items very hard. Things like ore generation, one mod may rely on an ore to be scarce or hard to process and another mod adds a heavy supply of the ore or makes processing easier and the crafting of the original item that was meant to be hard to craft become simple. So the solution is to alter the recipe, this is usually (I believe always) done in consultation with the original developer.
As to the wiki - for quite a while there have been 2 or 3 alternate recipes for some item on wiki, they will simply state "with mod-x installed" or similar, like the example below, it is not that complicated
http://ftbwiki.org/Grinder_(MineFactory_Reloaded)

FnDragon

Jul 29, 2019
As you haven't quoted a post your replying to and this thread covers all the FTB mod packs I will give a general reply from the little I know - the DW20 pack (for instance) modifies recipes to balance the packs, some mods make getting some items very easy and others make getting items very hard. Things like ore generation, one mod may rely on an ore to be scarce or hard to process and another mod adds a heavy supply of the ore or makes processing easier and the crafting of the original item that was meant to be hard to craft become simple. So the solution is to alter the recipe, this is usually (I believe always) done in consultation with the original developer.
As to the wiki - for quite a while there have been 2 or 3 alternate recipes for some item on wiki, they will simply state "with mod-x installed" or similar, like the example below, it is not that complicated
Yeah, you're totally correct, I forgot that some of those recipes were changed. I think the difference was *who* was making the changes. DW20 makes those changes in minetweaker scripts, versus making those changes in an individual mod. That way it wasn't pack-specific changes, but mod-specific interactions. It's a minor difference, for sure, but you were fairly confident that if you were watching a mod review that the recipes had a known number of configurations, like "This is the recipe normally, this is the TE recipe, and this is the IC2/Gregtech recipe", instead of relying on NEI. It's a minor change, but it always does rub me the wrong way to have to re-learn all of the recipes for mods I previously understood.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 doesn't change recipes to balance anything. there are ~15 recipe changes in the DW20 pack. 14 or so are just RF versions of the binniesmods machines, which I don't think are available any other way. the other recipe change is to fix a conflict with chisel and something else, botany, i think.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
That was covered Gideon. :p

@TheMechEngineer I had a similar issue a while ago, turns out it was a lag problem. Try watching the console to see if that's indicating anything that would be slowing the game down.

Thanks guys, it's still unplayable and I'm not sure what's going on. The crazy thing is that I've got 8GB of RAM and it's using up about 4.3GB of that.
Either there's something bad using up a tonne of RAM or the Resurrection modpack is heavy as HECK on the resources....

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks guys, it's still unplayable and I'm not sure what's going on. The crazy thing is that I've got 8GB of RAM and it's using up about 4.3GB of that.
Either there's something bad using up a tonne of RAM or the Resurrection modpack is heavy as HECK on the resources....

Don't dedicate more than 4GB of RAM to the launcher, Java gets weird if you do. I'm not really sure what else to say though, sorry I couldn't be more help.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The difference between this pack and FTB Ultimate was Ultimate didn't allow any one mod to overwrite others. In Ultimate, you could progress using MFR, Thaumcraft, RedPower, Thermal Expansion, Forestry, and many other mods. However you never got into a situation where one mod interfered with the basic progression of other mods. Having only gregtech ores and having gregtech-modified recipes makes this more of an Unhinged pack than anything inspired by Ultimate. For instance, today I wanted to try and build a MFR machine, and was stymied by the fact that rubber no longer smelts into rubber sheets. Instead I'll need to tech up to the electric age through GregTech before I can progress in MFR. If you were to go to the FTB wiki page for any of the MFR pages, they will have to have an addendum for this pack alone. Same with any of the modified machine recipes. Is this the right path the FTB wiki team wants?
Actually, we have always planned to document every single change that the 1.7.10 packs make to Vanilla/defaults in a single page.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I would like to point out that you are referring to the unofficial wiki as if it were the one that our hardworking wiki team works on. This is the official wiki that the FTB wiki team works on.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to point out that you are referring to the unofficial wiki as if it were the one that our hardworking wiki team works on. This is the official wiki that the FTB wiki team works on.
To be completely honest I simply did a google search and found the first one that had the multiple recipes that could provide an example. On re-reading my post it does seem as though I am referring "the wiki" as if there is only one (although I did not say feed the beast wiki, the link did show an unofficial wiki). And while this is the official feed the beast wiki I am sure I am not alone in getting information from the first google hit that has the information needed.
My apologies to the official wiki team, no offence meant

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
To be completely honest I simply did a google search and found the first one that had the multiple recipes that could provide an example. On re-reading my post it does seem as though I am referring "the wiki" as if there is only one (although I did not say feed the beast wiki, the link did show an unofficial wiki). And while this is the official feed the beast wiki I am sure I am not alone in getting information from the first google hit that has the information needed.
My apologies to the official wiki team, no offence meant

I completely understand how it is, I used to use the unofficial when I was first starting out and only stopped when I started working on the official. Nothing wrong in getting your information from the first hit on Google, I know most of us do. ;)

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I completely understand how it is, I used to use the unofficial when I was first starting out and only stopped when I started working on the official. Nothing wrong in getting your information from the first hit on Google, I know most of us do. ;)

...It's not like taking medical advice from Dr. Oz or anything... :D