Forge 1.8 Released?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Some technical info if interested:
https://twitter.com/LexManos/status/537521591647621120
https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/commit/53659fca065a600470734d81a168fbdde6ec631a
"Initial update to 1.8, Super beta. Most rendering related hooks are o…

…ut due to major changes in 1.8.

Some notes:
Almost all int x, int y, int z parameters have been changed to BlockPos class
ForgeDirection has been removed, replaced by net.minecraft.util.EnumFacing.
All FML classes have moved from packet cpw.mods.fml to net.minecraftforge.fml
Fluid Rendering has been disabled for the time being, to be re-evaulated and a test mod created for it.
Minecraft now uses a Model based system for rendering blocks and Items. The intention is to expand the model format to better suit modder's needed once it is evaulated.
As such, The model loaders from Forge have been removed, to be replaced by expanding vanilla's model format.
Metadata has been extracted out in Minecraft to IBlockState, which holds a list of properties instead of magic number metadata. DO NOT listen to the fearmongering, you can do EVERYTHING with block states you could previously with metadata.
Stencil Bits are disabled entirely by for the main Display, Modders must enable and recreate the FrameBuffer if they wish to use Stencil Bits."

Reactions: toyimp

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not even going to bother developing for 1.8 until it gets a stable release. I have enough trouble getting my code stable, let alone Forge.
I hope one day Mojang with put out a release that when it updates it doesnt change the who games code so modders can have universal mods. meaning 1 mod for any version....

Brain888

Jul 29, 2019
I hope one day Mojang with put out a release that when it updates it doesnt change the who games code so modders can have universal mods. meaning 1 mod for any version....
I think they release different update because minecraft is coded so badly and it needs to be "fixed" in some manners :/sorry for bad english if i make mistakes

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The modding community really needs to re-write Minecraft themselves. As a group, you are all WAY better than Mojang at programming. Of course, now that evil-big-corporation (as they all are) Microsoft has gotten their grubby paws all over it, there will surely be an army of their zombie lawyers at the ready for anyone who tries to re-write it. But it needs to be done, somehow, some way. Microsoft didn't buy Mojang to make the game better, they bought Mojang to make their evil-big-corporation even more obscenely richer than they already are.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Just the thought of having to make a json for every block makes me sick...
You only use Json for blocks that won't be conventional looking. This is the easiest way to do it. As far as I know the old method still exists. The new one is just better for basic unconventional looking blocks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The modding community really needs to re-write Minecraft themselves. As a group, you are all WAY better than Mojang at programming. Of course, now that evil-big-corporation (as they all are) Microsoft has gotten their grubby paws all over it, there will surely be an army of their zombie lawyers at the ready for anyone who tries to re-write it. But it needs to be done, somehow, some way. Microsoft didn't buy Mojang to make the game better, they bought Mojang to make their evil-big-corporation even more obscenely richer than they already are.

Grow up.

Here are some of the reasons Microsoft bought Minecraft:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-stra...r-minecraft-is-a-development-tool-7000036073/

According to this Minecraft was purchased as a mechanism to get more kids into programming, and coincidentally using Microsoft products to do so.

While this may seem an unfair advantage to Windows-dom and XBox, keep in mind that "evil" Microsoft:

1). Released ".Net" technology to Open Source like 3 weeks ago
2). Is making Visual Studio a cross-platform development environment (Currently supports Intel and Arm processors, they just need to build compatible libraries)
3). Already makes Visual Studio available for free in it's Express version
4). Has started "Visual Studio Community" which is also free but uses the shared workspace, version control and other features from Enterprise Visual Studio

Also, since the idea is to use Minecraft as a teaching environment for programmers, we can probably assume that Java is on the endangered list and Minecraft will be "converted" to Visual Studio (I say this because it doesn't matter if you use Basic, C++, C# or Javascript, it all compiles to interchangeable modules).

This may be a good or a bad thing, but it should result in less bloated code, the abolishment of Obfuscation and a usable API with full source code availability.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Yes sir. Right away sir, just as soon as I grow out of this "gaming" phase which began before William Gates was out of high school. Hunt The Wumpus! LOL

Good analysis btw. I'd call it a subtly brilliant form of conditioning or indoctrinating... but yeah, you def hit the nail on the head. It might be a good or a bad thing. We all have our opinions on that, even us older folk.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes sir. Right away sir, just as soon as I grow out of this "gaming" phase which began before William Gates was out of high school. Hunt The Wumpus! LOL

Good analysis btw. I'd call it a subtly brilliant form of conditioning or indoctrinating... but yeah, you def hit the nail on the head. It might be a good or a bad thing. We all have our opinions on that, even us older folk.

Sorry if I came across a bit strong with the "Grow up"... I woke up in a sour mood and hadn't had coffee yet. I just find that generally people who condemn Microsoft as being "evil" tend to also think Apple can do no wrong and Jobs should be canonized :rolleyes:. They also tend to be younger and not remember the days when floppy disks didn't come in hard shells.

I remember "Hunt the Wumpus", although the first "entertainment" I encountered was ASCII art on paper tape to be run through an ASR 33 Teletype we had in High School or the model 28 I had as a Ham Operator back then, linked in my sig. in High School and the first game I encountered was "Colossal Caves" in college on a PDP-8 running Unix.

The first electronic game I encountered was coin-op Pong, and my buddy got a Magnavox Odyssey the first Christmas it came out ('72 or '73, IIRC)

Color was a matter of statically adhered overlays to turn Ping Pong into Tennis, for example :D

Last edited: